PDA

View Full Version : Early impressions

acolyte_to_jippity
11-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Ok, so i played a bit during beta...and i really disliked the game. it seemed to be impossible to start playing, as either faction. however, having played quite a bit tonight, i must say that I was wrong. This is possibly one of the most well put-together games i've ever played. i didn't get any of the "you're new, get fucked and get lost" feeling of the beta. Instead, the game seemed possible. It's pretty obvious that having a good com will help, but still, for a game as complex as NS2 to be accessible to an almost 100% new player is just impressive.

A few things:
1) skulk OP. seriously, i doubt i'll ever use a different class when i'm playing aliens. wall-jumping plus celerity=disgusting speeds, and it was pretty damn hilarious to be sitting on the ceiling w/ stealth, watch a few marines run past, drop down and kill two, then stealth on the ceiling and let my regeneration heal me. not really a fan of any of the other classes, except for the rhino of course (or onos if you insist).

2) the maps are amazing, but confusing as all fuck. There's only one map i consider easy to navigate, and that's because all tunnels/vents are highlighted in yellow. I think that the infection mechanic, while awesome, should have a third setting. "Thin" looks like shit, while "Rich" makes it almost impossible to see certain things (like vent entrances).

3) the light machinegun/AR is nice, but seems to fall off HARD. the shotgun is nice, but almost impossible to hit well with against a semi-competent skulk. I would LOVE to see a more battle-rifle style weapon. slower fire rate than the AR, but much more powerful shots, possibly losing accuracy with sustained fire, or with something of a recoil effect.

4) is the axe or welder better for taking out structures? the wiki says the axe...but i'm DAMN sure i was burning through cysts like nobody's business with the welder.

ZERO
11-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Axe kills structures. Welder kills assists fast.

Shot guns turn into 1hit kill machines if you learn the timing correctly.

Like SC and SC2, NS and NS2 have a VERY VERY VERY UNFATHOMABLY high skill ceiling. This game likely has the highest of any FPS game that has ever been or will be made.

As everyone plays more things will balance out and things that work now against all the noobs will not work anymore.

Earlier today I played a game where people were saying aliens at the start are op. This is because 95% of the players could not kill a skulk. The other team was not that good but 2v8 and they win 75% of the time! The issue was that all of the players on marines had not yet learned to aim. In a few weeks those players will be able to aim and their problems will go away.

We played that map again for a second round and balanced the teams out. This time the marines one against those op aliens.

As for skulks the real issue is that in ns1 you got res for kills so going higher lifeforms meant something. However the other aliens are not bad they are just different much like the races on the wcs server. You got to learn their play style and then they are really good.

Chikun
11-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Acolyte clearly has not discovered the awesomeness of the gorge belly slide.

Nor the heart heal spray mod. GORGIE GORGIE GORGIE!

acolyte_to_jippity
11-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Acolyte clearly has not discovered the awesomeness of the gorge belly slide.

Nor the heart heal spray mod. GORGIE GORGIE GORGIE!

no, i tried the gorge too. belly sliding is hilarious. but i just have way more fun w/ the skulk.

thecat
11-15-2012, 04:50 PM
To bad my computer cant handle the game. :headache:
cry cry cry

ZERO
11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Did you turn everything on low and enable texture streaming? Servers are only 30 tick so you really just need 30fps minimum.

StarsMine
12-21-2012, 10:16 PM
my god my 9600gso (I did not bring my 460 home over winter) cried when I turned the game on.
I was unable to join the server, it was full but for some reason I could not play the the YouTube tutorial videos in game.

I used to play the first game on school computers(though we were all terrible) so this is silliness.

ZERO
12-22-2012, 01:14 PM
This game is actually very cpu intensive but you do need to on mid end systems turn everything off/down except for texture streaming. :wtg:

StarsMine
12-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Well the fact that its an e5300 didnt help then.
See what I can run it at school with a 4.5ghz 2600k and a 460, then try it with a 660ti.

Played a few games with jigsaw quite fun. its not the most intuitive game (well NS1 wasnt either) and I had a hard time picking out the voices from the gameplay sounds (that could be that the right speaker is out on the home computer)