PDA

View Full Version : Stats

ZERO
12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
This is the official stats thread for NS2. I am trying to figure out what is the best method for stats to use in our server/servers.

I have looked at the official "ns2 stats" and I do not see how they do anything different than what I could toss together in psychostats in a few min other than the fact that they do global ranking.

Here is the issues I see with the way they do stats that I would like ours to address:

Stats are only for kills if a player and wins if commander
Stats are Global but ELO based

The problem with the first issue is that the game is highly dependent on actually making stuff too and destroying structures. These are not taken into account if your only granting points for kills. For commanding there is a lot more than just if you won or lost that would be nice to know not for rank per say but for stats like timings for things that could be recorded ect.

The problem with the second issue is that while it is a good idea to use ELO to compare each player to each other ELO is created under the idea that all players in the pool and especially at the top actually play against each other. The data is misleading if the top 10 have never actually played against each other b/c they play on different servers. This is while global ranks only work in leagues and server to server ranks are more ideal and representative of comparable data.

So the issue is how to address these problems. We can solve one of them just by having our own ranking system on a server to server basis like we do for CS:S. However, the issue is how to deal with non kill related stats and commanding stats without resorting to a race for the top point system that does not account for play time.

Suggestion: ELO with bonus

This works like how our stats for pub and even zm to a degree work.
Players get or lose stats based on who or what killed them with what weapon.
Players earn bonus points based on doing things like killing or building structures.
Players earn or lose points for a win or a loss

The ELO part still allows for ranks to be relative without being too impacted by time played b/c the driver of the stats is still KDR. However by bonus points it is able to properly weight the difference for things like objectives much like how points are given in CS:S for a bomb plant a win a rescue ect.

Bouns points could also be given for "what" you killed for example extra points for taking down an onos. Or killing a marine that had equipment.

One issue for points though is the death of power nodes where as the game is won. I would ideally get the stats to declare when a power node that is powering a build command center is killed. These power nodes would award more bonus points to the player that kills them.

I would also like to incorporate some sort of system that awards points to gourages that build structures/upgrades faster. However, all of these are things that would be needed to be added to the log files first so that we could then record them.

So what do you all think?

Chikun
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't think KDR should be factored in. The only fitting way I see including deaths is if the player had used resources prior to death. For instance, buying a shotgun and getting eaten by skulks or evolving gorge and getting killed in some fashion. Most rewards in terms of ranking should come from destroying structures and killing people who bought things with resources (jetpacks, exos, onos, fade....). I feel this way would encourage players to take more risks and not worry about the negative effects of dying and rewarding the lone marine who flew into the hive to destroy their upgrades.

My 2 cents.

ZERO
12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh actually I like what your suggesting and that does account for playtime. If we had triggers like:

ZERO <ibis> triggered Death_Onos

Then I lose 75 points

However:

ZERO <ibis> triggered Killed_Onos

I gain 75 points

Then the stats are directly reflective of the res exchange value for what is going on.

Chikun
12-06-2012, 01:56 PM
ZERO <ibis> triggered Death_Onos

Then I lose 75 points

However:

ZERO <ibis> triggered Killed_Onos

I gain 75 points

Yeah that's pretty much what I had in mind, numbers of course vary depending on life form. Is there a way to track the res exchange for marines though? Like dying as a marine with a jetpack and a shotgun would cost me 30 points? Jetpack (10) + shotgun (20)

acolyte_to_jippity
12-06-2012, 02:42 PM
what about things like welders/clots and the like?

ZERO
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Shotguns will only be 10res b/c that is what they are actually worth. In some cases the amounts may very based on my discression of what the real balance should be. I do not want to create a situation where players do not want to tech up but instead are encuraged to play the game in the way that it is intended.

For example points for power nodes will very depending on what was in the room.

Chikun
12-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Shotguns will only be 10res b/c that is what they are actually worth.

I don't play as marine often lol. Yes though, the actual values would need to be heavily scrutinized to not only prevent people from not etching but also new ways of rank manipulation.

Rasp
12-09-2012, 07:04 PM
it seems the balance between aliens and marines would be quite difficult.