PDA

View Full Version : restart?

acolyte_to_jippity
01-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Zero, i think it might be a good idea to restart the NS2 box. it was lagging something fierce earlier this evening, and there were absolutely no ARC's on the field. spikes kept up for a good 20 minutes at times.

I would have restarted after the map finished, but there is no restart command in sv_help...at least none that I could see.

ZERO
01-22-2013, 03:16 AM
The problem is that you guys assume that this game is not supposed to lag. Basically any server with less than a 5Ghz cpu and any decent number of people will be lagging to shit at some point. It is a limitation of the games engine.

Currently for example they have every structure and object in the game running their own loops which execute every tick. In addition every tick the server basically compiles the game state! In games like CS:S which are in C++ this does not occur b/c the program is already compiled, even our WCS races are compiled and run much faster. Imagine if in the WCS server we had to recompile every plugin on every frame to process the data, it would likely not even run.

acolyte_to_jippity
01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
The problem is that you guys assume that this game is not supposed to lag. Basically any server with less than a 5Ghz cpu and any decent number of people will be lagging to shit at some point. It is a limitation of the games engine.

Currently for example they have every structure and object in the game running their own loops which execute every tick. In addition every tick the server basically compiles the game state! In games like CS:S which are in C++ this does not occur b/c the program is already compiled, even our WCS races are compiled and run much faster. Imagine if in the WCS server we had to recompile every plugin on every frame to process the data, it would likely not even run.

i'm not assuming it should be 100% lag-free, but it is not normally as bad as it was last night.

ZERO
01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Let me put it another way, remember how laggy WCS was when it ran on ES? Now imagine if CS:S was also running in ES at the same time that is the deal with NS2 which is mostly in LUA the only thing that could be worst performance is python or ES itself lol.

acolyte_to_jippity
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Let me put it another way, remember how laggy WCS was when it ran on ES? Now imagine if CS:S was also running in ES at the same time that is the deal with NS2 which is mostly in LUA the only thing that could be worst performance is python or ES itself lol.

Then, by that logic, shouldn't it perform badly at all times? not 100% fine when full one night, then shitty a few days later like t is now?

ZERO
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
After talking with them aparently the largest bottleneck right now is netcode. So simular to in CS:S when people with bad FPS/ping can lag out the server it is a lot worse for NS2 where large numbers of players may only be getting 14fps thus dragging the server down to their level.

acolyte_to_jippity
01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
After talking with them aparently the largest bottleneck right now is netcode. So simular to in CS:S when people with bad FPS/ping can lag out the server it is a lot worse for NS2 where large numbers of players may only be getting 14fps thus dragging the server down to their level.

there was someone with a ping bouncing between 300 and 700. i wasn't aware that could cause such large problems. should admins try to kick people with that kind of ping in the future?

ZERO
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Unknown, currently there is not enough information/data to really know the true impact of this.