PDA

View Full Version : knife fight improvement

SHADY V1RU5
02-11-2013, 03:08 AM
i know ur a busy guy zero and all but i have a suggestion idk if everyone will agree but it will help out if its possible. i was wondering if maybe we could add like a beacon on the player who denies the knife fight or force a knife fight when ppl dont vote afte 10 seconds i have seen this before on servers and it seems to work out nicely..... idk maybe see what everyone says maybe or a vote if thats something you would be willing to do :wtg:

Meltdown
02-11-2013, 06:51 AM
maybe if he doesn't vote but not when he denies. some players deny for very good reason. not everyone is good at knifing and think there chance for gun kill is much better. punishing those people with a beacon isn't fair.

jwtemp
02-11-2013, 07:21 AM
I don't know if I would consider it punishment though. The purpose of the knife fight function is to speed up the end of the round. No one likes waiting three minutes for two people to find each other on a map. So I'll agree with you that conditions for refusing a knife fight exist, but honestly it should be pretty rare that someone denies a knife fight on the basis of a really solid reason (personally I don't think 'I don't want to knife' or 'I suck at knifing' is a very good reason. Get better!). Making a change like this or something similar would definitely help speed maps up on the GG server.

Meltdown
02-11-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't know if I would consider it punishment though. The purpose of the knife fight function is to speed up the end of the round. No one likes waiting three minutes for two people to find each other on a map. So I'll agree with you that conditions for refusing a knife fight exist, but honestly it should be pretty rare that someone denies a knife fight on the basis of a really solid reason (personally I don't think 'I don't want to knife' or 'I suck at knifing' is a very good reason. Get better!). Making a change like this or something similar would definitely help speed maps up on the GG server.

There maps wich are so small that you really don't need to wait long before someone dies. adding a beacon there to someone could give serious disadvantage since you talk about mere second, think about when someone is on nade level and he suddenly knows where to throw the nade in such small area. If people want to kill with a gun then it is in there right to deny.

Carmichal
02-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Denying a knife fight should not be punished that just stupid and defeats the point of having a choice anyways. You coukd be on gnade level and or the other person is on knife level and is a better knife fighter than you. Refusing to press on or two should not be punished. Honestly it is really not much of a problem at this point to worry about and doesn't disrupt game play all that much considering not every round ends in a knife fight and not every person is a douche. Also nobody gets hurt really. Ie running causes someone to get slayed, so an admin will take care of it and it is covered in the rules. Also if the round does get prolonged admintotems pto beacon the players, or if one is camping after a few warnings that player is slapped then slayed. Also the maps are small in gg so it rarely happens. I think zeros time would be better spent else where like removing the fucking terrible floating bodies.

also having half the server call you a vagina is punishment enough.

jwtemp
02-11-2013, 07:42 AM
If admins were there all the time to make both of the things you mentioned happen Carmichal, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately an admin isn't always around, and I've definitely run into the aforementioned 'wait too long for two nards to try to kill each other' scenario, as well as the 'nard wants to run from a knife fight and cause someone to lose levels' scenario.

I get arguments both for and against making changes, I really do. My personal opinion is acceptance of a knife fight should be 100% automatic when it's a 1v1 situation unless one player or the other is on nade level. I get why folks wouldn't like that scenario, but it would certainly improve on the knife fight mod's intended affect, which is to get to the next round as quickly as possible.

Carmichal
02-11-2013, 07:52 AM
If admins were there all the time to make both of the things you mentioned happen Carmichal, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately an admin isn't always around, and I've definitely run into the aforementioned 'wait too long for two nards to try to kill each other' scenario, as well as the 'nard wants to run from a knife fight and cause someone to lose levels' scenario.

I get arguments both for and against making changes, I really do. My personal opinion is acceptance of a knife fight should be 100% automatic when it's a 1v1 situation unless one player or the other is on nade level. I get why folks wouldn't like that scenario, but it would certainly improve on the knife fight mod's intended affect, which is to get to the next round as quickly as possible.

That is a valid point however we do have the user temp. Ban request on the forums here at that point it Jz up to the player to take an active role.

jwtemp
02-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Oh wow, that's good to know. I didn't realize either of these things would warrant a forum post. I can definitely see posting a demo of a knife fight runner-away-er, but how would I determine when someone has camped too long after refusing a knife fight? Is it a minute? Two? I definitely don't want to start pointless threads and waste everyone's time but at the same time, perhaps temp banning people who do these things will discourage it heavily, making a knife fight modification unnecessary.

Carmichal
02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Runners sure. But for campers well that dosent happen too too often. Meh use better judgement I guess.

jwtemp
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
You know well and good that my judgment is terrible. :P Thanks for the advice, I'll leave the Campy McCamperson posts and focus on the knife-runner posts.

XX0wnsXY
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah i dont think punishing the person who refuses would be a good choice. I can understand needing it for runners, however..some people just dont want to knife. I do think that after the menu comes up to choose one or two, there should be a time limit that, once expired, would automatically refuse.

acolyte_to_jippity
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah i dont think punishing the person who refuses would be a good choice. I can understand needing it for runners, however..some people just dont want to knife. I do think that after the menu comes up to choose one or two, there should be a time limit that, once expired, would automatically refuse.

i would be alright with beaconing anyone that doesn't end up choosing an option. refusing the fight is 100% ok, but not picking one is bad.

SHADY V1RU5
02-12-2013, 12:27 AM
first and foremost it isnt a punishment if u see that as a punishment ur ignorant as all hell granted the suggestion is to make things run smoother other places have this implemented so that everyone enjoys the time spent here in ibis. and for our bigger gun game maps its really annoying to sit and wait for tards to find each other. plain and simple there isnt always an admin and it helps the game go along properly. if it were a double beacon or w/e its not punishment its speeding shit up and you can in fact alter things like if u were on nade u dont have to fight. my biggest concern is the non english fuckers and idiots that dont press one or ywo and it would be wiser for an auto knife fight after 10 seconds when a vote has not been made like it or not thats how things go and for most players in gun game knifing is shown skill and is a favorite thing in ibis like me for instance i love knife fights even back when i was shitty and couldnt knife i liked the whole concept the time spent to make the adjustment isnt what u think it is ....... but it comes down to what the clan and zero wants to implement in the server and most ppl i have talked with agree and say it would make things better in the long run. take it or leave it a minor adjustment could be made for satisfaction of all the players. not just the shitties that cant play or cant knife thats the challenge of gun game.

acolyte_to_jippity
02-12-2013, 12:43 AM
first and foremost it isnt a punishment if u see that as a punishment ur ignorant as all hell granted the suggestion is to make things run smoother other places have this implemented so that everyone enjoys the time spent here in ibis. and for our bigger gun game maps its really annoying to sit and wait for tards to find each other. plain and simple there isnt always an admin and it helps the game go along properly. if it were a double beacon or w/e its not punishment its speeding shit up and you can in fact alter things like if u were on nade u dont have to fight. my biggest concern is the non english fuckers and idiots that dont press one or ywo and it would be wiser for an auto knife fight after 10 seconds when a vote has not been made like it or not thats how things go and for most players in gun game knifing is shown skill and is a favorite thing in ibis like me for instance i love knife fights even back when i was shitty and couldnt knife i liked the whole concept the time spent to make the adjustment isnt what u think it is ....... but it comes down to what the clan and zero wants to implement in the server and most ppl i have talked with agree and say it would make things better in the long run. take it or leave it a minor adjustment could be made for satisfaction of all the players. not just the shitties that cant play or cant knife thats the challenge of gun game.

either i derped hard, or this was almost as bad as the cat's posts regarding readability.

it is a punishment to beacon people if they don't want to knife. that's retarded. CS:S isn't a game where you simply run straight at your opponent blasting away, you need to have some form of tactics. that ends up being somewhat difficult when you're hula-hooping across the map.

SHADY V1RU5
02-12-2013, 12:49 AM
either i derped hard, or this was almost as bad as the cat's posts regarding readability.

it is a punishment to beacon people if they don't want to knife. that's retarded. CS:S isn't a game where you simply run straight at your opponent blasting away, you need to have some form of tactics. that ends up being somewhat difficult when you're hula-hooping across the map.

aco ..... gun game is a server to hone all the guns skills.... correct? its not punishment if its only to speed things up... look up the definition of punishment and maybe you will understand where im coming from.

jwtemp
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Shady had to have written that blazed or enraged. I don't think there was a single period. LOL

jeb the hick
02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
How about if neither player is on gnade level and they both reject the knife fight, then beacon them both. I can see why refusing a knife fight is acceptable especially if it's against someone who serially uses that backknife glitch.

As long as they aren't both camping, then stop bitching about waiting for the round to end. Don't die next time.

maynard
02-13-2013, 09:24 AM
beaconing someone for not accepting a knife fight is fail.

you're offered the option 2 accept or deny for a reason... it's called choice. and it's not always in your best interest 2 accept the knife fight.

it's exactly what aco said, a punishment... and is just not needed.

jwtemp
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
It was spoken and thus, it was. Thanks for weighing in Maynard.

Rellikdloc
02-15-2013, 12:33 AM
I think the punishment should come into play when the person chooses not to accept of deny the knife fight. 1 they either get beconed or 2 it auto selects accept. I think auto accept would be the better way to go say after 8 secs or so if they do not choose, this would def promote ppl to choose an option especially the ppl that dont want to knife but also dont want to choose the deny option, this would def. make them pick the deny option then.

maynard
02-15-2013, 02:14 AM
or we could leave everything as it is given there is no issue that requires fixing

Rellikdloc
02-17-2013, 04:01 PM
well there are issues, thats why the thread was started

jwtemp
02-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I believe Maynard's implication is that our impatience and nard tolerance is what needs fixing and not the server. I'm inclined to agree with you Rellik - but we're just cogs in the grand Ibis machine! :)

CYBER
02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
maybe if he doesn't vote but not when he denies. some players deny for very good reason. not everyone is good at knifing and think there chance for gun kill is much better. punishing those people with a beacon isn't fair.

I'm pretty sure that's what shady meant.

ACtually maynard,

I've seen it personally where people don't press NEITHER 1 or 2, and stay vigilant. If they get jumped by the enemy who accepted the knife fight before? they hit 1 fast and exploit it to survive the kill.
Now clearly that's an exploit because they are gaining an advantage using a system over a generous enemy who doesn't have the same privileges.
and i've punished people for using the system like this. But there are people who still don't understand that you HAVE to chose either 1 or 2. No one is gonna judge u for being a pussy (k fine they'll judge u , but allow u ).

But if u dn't chose? u're exploiting the system, and i second shady's request to have whoever did NOT vote yet beaconed UNTIL he votes. This way it forces the fucker to vote, and vote fast before the stealthy guy finds him. even if he wanted to vote [2].
I'm not against pussies, but i'm against cheap shots who exploit the system to buy themselves a second life.
And i'm not going against u maynard, im just telling u that this shit happens more than it is reported when admins arent around.

Carmichal
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
i know ur a busy guy zero and all but i have a suggestion idk if everyone will agree but it will help out if its possible. i was wondering if maybe we could add like a beacon on the player who denies the knife fight or force a knife fight when ppl dont vote afte 10 seconds i have seen this before on servers and it seems to work out nicely..... idk maybe see what everyone says maybe or a vote if thats something you would be willing to do :wtg:

I'm pretty sure that's what shady meant.

NO CYBER NO! Yeah maybe a beacon on the players after 15 seconds. That's as far as we should go with it. There has been legit times when the knife menu dosen't appear and people are not aware of !kfmenu.

IN NO WAY SHOULD ANYONE BE PUNISHED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FOR PRESSING TWO! What is the point of asking anyways if we do that? Say it once say it a thousand times.

CYBER
02-18-2013, 08:35 PM
NO CYBER NO! Yeah maybe a beacon on the players after 15 seconds. That's as far as we should go with it. There has been legit times when the knife menu dosen't appear and people are not aware of !kfmenu.

IN NO WAY SHOULD ANYONE BE PUNISHED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FOR PRESSING TWO! What is the point of asking anyways if we do that? Say it once say it a thousand times.

well I can suggest that u get beaconed for as long as u didn't press the button.
After 5 seconds of no response, if you haven't voted, FORCE A NO [2] vote.
At least then everyone would be on the same page, and it removes the chance of exploiting.

aDarkPhilosophy
02-23-2013, 03:34 AM
I think it's a simple problem with a simple solution. no punishment for pushing 2 (duh) but after 20 seconds of not choosing that player should have a beacon placed on them until they vote. It wont adversely affect game play, but will speed things up a bit, while also helping to keep people honest.

ZERO
02-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Or I can just have the ability to select an option time out after a few sec. I often do not press it unless I am going to accept b/c the numbers are on the opposite side of the keyboard for me.