PDA

View Full Version : Knife Trolling

jwtemp
03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
So two days in a row now, the opposing team on several maps have all decided to 'knife troll.' In case you aren't aware of what that means, basically it just means they play the entire game with nothing but a knife. A single player doing this - no big deal. Half the opposing team and it completely sucks the fun out of the map and the server if you're the team getting trolled. It basically gives one team a HUGE advantage for a single player to win and forces the other team to play a certain tactical way, i.e. hanging back and avoiding getting knifed at all costs.

The purpose of this post is to determine whether or not this behavior is acceptable when perpetrated by an entire group (and yes, it's consistently one or two or three people who decide this is a good way to spend their time). If it is, I'll simply leave when the motherfuckers join and decide to play this way, because it ruins the map entirely for me (if I'm on the 'wrong' team). If this is something I can use my admin powers to discourage, that would be great.

I totally understand this is a whining, bitching and moaning post. But it's frustrating to come home, fire up the game during my limited playtime window and find a server full of dicks who have nothing better to do than ruin someone's day/steal someone's win on a silly CS:S server.

ZERO
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
I am a bit confused here, is bolth teams knifing only or just 1 team?

I do not understand how 1 team trying to knife people with guns are going to win...

Jackie Marlow
03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I totally understand this is a whining, bitching and moaning post.

/thread

jwtemp
03-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I am a bit confused here, is bolth teams knifing only or just 1 team?

I do not understand how 1 team trying to knife people with guns are going to win...

Only one team is trying to knife. It's not that the team being knifed CAN'T win, it's that they're forced to play a specific way in order to win. Or, more dastardly, certain folks may target individuals on nade level, making it extremely difficult to actually win the game.

When I get on nade level ten times on a map, only to be foiled every single time by three people knife trolling me, which then results in one of their teammates eventually getting the win because I simply can't, well, it's pretty much bullshit in my opinion.

/thread

Hey Jackie, nice to see you on the forum. Now do your job around this place and get to blowing somebody already.

XX0wnsXY
03-22-2013, 06:09 PM
it may be frustrating but, you cant tell people how to play. if a team decides they want to go all knife than let them. the opposing team may have a hard time to win, but a little caution will get you easy kills.

Steamer
03-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Trololol.... ALL I DO ISSSSS... knife

jwtemp
03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
it may be frustrating but, you cant tell people how to play. if a team decides they want to go all knife than let them. the opposing team may have a hard time to win, but a little caution will get you easy kills.

Roger. I'll just jet when dicks decide to be dicks. Thanks Owns.

What
03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
seems less like trolling and more like a viable strategy. A douchey one, but a strategy nonetheless.

jwtemp
03-22-2013, 08:14 PM
seems less like trolling and more like a viable strategy. A douchey one, but a strategy nonetheless.

Nah, it's straight up trolling. The perpetrators would readily admit it and they do it for no other reason than their own amusement and to fuck with/hinder the other team. As I've stated, it wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't all following one another and working together to ruin shit and make winning next to impossible for the knifer/nader on the team opposite them.

I guess you could view it as a strategy to get one of their teammates the win, but that would be collusion, and I'm fairly certain that's against the rules. They're not colluding to win though, they're just assisting each other in ruining the map, basically.

To give you a specific example (and honestly, what led me to this post), deagle was played today. 50%+ of the CTs were knifing, Ts were playing normal. Ts figured out they were getting knifed every round, so they started being cautious. This basically gave a player on the CT team free reign to steamroll them, as they were looking for knifers, not expecting someone to rush them. Said player was basically on nade level while the entire T team hadn't even gotten to scout (I think one person had gotten to scout). Even if someone on the T team was able to get to nade, there were five people running together through the maze, train knifing anyone they came across. If you've played any amount of GG or deagle then you know a knife train is pretty much impossible to avoid, especially when you're trying to knife/nade.

But I digress. Owns is right, can't tell people how to play. I guess it just means that when people have time to waste fucking around, trolling and being little bitches I just won't play. :/

Chikun
03-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Wait, are you complaining about a strategy that actively encourages the other team to camp?

Rellikdloc
03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Well sounds to me is that your just having trouble getting kills lol, b/c if most of your team is knifing then that leaves alot more lvls to gain for you, i would actually prefer to be on this team. Sure the other team might be winning most of the rounds but not 1 person is getting all the free kills their whole team is, and so you being the only person on the team shooting gives you more lvls then the other team winning all the rounds, so its not necessarily any harder or easier for 1 person on either team to win. P.S. ive won a few times knife only the whole game with ppl shooting.

jwtemp
03-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Wait, are you complaining about a strategy that actively encourages the other team to camp?

I'm not sure what you actually mean by this.

Well sounds to me is that your just having trouble getting kills lol, b/c if most of your team is knifing then that leaves alot more lvls to gain for you, i would actually prefer to be on this team. Sure the other team might be winning most of the rounds but not 1 person is getting all the free kills their whole team is, and so you being the only person on the team shooting gives you more lvls then the other team winning all the rounds, so its not necessarily any harder or easier for 1 person on either team to win. P.S. ive won a few times knife only the whole game with ppl shooting.

Rellik, the problem doesn't really exist until knife/nade level, as I mentioned earlier. Appreciate your insight though, and I agree, half a team of knifers generally makes getting to knife/nade pretty easy. I honestly don't have a problem getting to knife/nade regardless of what the other team is doing these days though.

Penis シ
03-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Viable strategy. I recommend not leaving. Playing against a team that does this only makes you better. Don't forget, when fighting knife trains, your bullets go through each body. If, we'll say, you're on deagle and this happens, start prefiring. There are what, 6 avenues for them to train down? This means that if you prefire, you're likely to catch the first or second. Secondly, when doing knife trains, most people are cautious and don't swipe until the person in front of them is down to avoid tk'ing. This is a HUGE advantage. Your thread is whining. You're bitching about wanting to leave when this starts happening. I say, do it. Less shitties.

Rapedollar$
03-23-2013, 12:45 AM
i suppose we should expect a post about OP races on wcs and how we should ban them or some scrub is going to leave the servers when they are being played next...

jwtemp
03-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Viable strategy. I recommend not leaving. Playing against a team that does this only makes you better. Don't forget, when fighting knife trains, your bullets go through each body. If, we'll say, you're on deagle and this happens, start prefiring. There are what, 6 avenues for them to train down? This means that if you prefire, you're likely to catch the first or second. Secondly, when doing knife trains, most people are cautious and don't swipe until the person in front of them is down to avoid tk'ing. This is a HUGE advantage. Your thread is whining. You're bitching about wanting to leave when this starts happening. I say, do it. Less shitties.

Please see my response to Rellik, since you both basically said the same fucking thing.

I agree though, less shitties when both of us aren't around.

jeb the hick
03-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Does this happen on any maps other than deagle and spacetower? I can't speak for the rest of the CT's that one game, but I only knife for practice, and because knifing people is fun. I don't do it specifically for the purpose of trolling people. And for the instance of deagle where you got knocked off nade round and I won in the end, I'd say a majority of my knife kills were against T players who were also knifing. My only advice is that if you're playing deagle and don't want to be knifed, join the CTs. I know it's frustrating, but it's not like we play deagle 24/7 and it's pretty rare to have that many people knifing at once I think.

jwtemp
03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Does this happen on any maps other than deagle and spacetower? I can't speak for the rest of the CT's that one game, but I only knife for practice, and because knifing people is fun. I don't do it specifically for the purpose of trolling people. And for the instance of deagle where you got knocked off nade round and I won in the end, I'd say a majority of my knife kills were against T players who were also knifing. My only advice is that if you're playing deagle and don't want to be knifed, join the CTs. I know it's frustrating, but it's not like we play deagle 24/7 and it's pretty rare to have that many people knifing at once I think.

It's typically deagle and wootday. It's all good. I wanted to post the thread to get the 'official' response, Owns gave it and I'll stick to what I said - if people want to knife troll, I'll just find something else to do. It's just frustrating when I have a window with which to enjoy and play the game and dicks wanna be dicks is all.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-23-2013, 01:06 PM
there is no rule we have that would cause this to not be allowed...

shoot well. it might take a bit longer to get levels, but if everyone is knifing it shouldn't be too bad.

maynard
03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
........Lol:lmao:

jwtemp
03-23-2013, 10:26 PM
........Lol:lmao:

Yeah yeah, the trolls win and all that. :P

Patmonster
03-24-2013, 04:48 PM
When I get on nade level ten times on a map, only to be foiled every single time by three people knife trolling me, which then results in one of their teammates eventually getting the win because I simply can't, well, it's pretty much bullshit in my opinion..

Soooo THIS is where you come to bitch after I'm done knifing you? Lol :banghead:
98% of the time I'm knife only. There is no "trolling" going on. It's a fun, skilled, way to play the game. And I do have a few people that like to knife with me :) and no one has complained except you.

I still love you and I'll be looking for your back in game soon :smirk::smirk:

jwtemp
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Soooo THIS is where you come to bitch after I'm done knifing you? Lol :banghead:
98% of the time I'm knife only. There is no "trolling" going on. It's a fun, skilled, way to play the game. And I do have a few people that like to knife with me :) and no one has complained except you.

I still love you and I'll be looking for your back in game soon :smirk::smirk:

Oh Pat, so cute. I'll continue to wreck you in game, no worries. :) It's like no one reads this thread before they make a post. I'm pretty sure I've explained the situation clearly by now so I won't bother explaining it again, but needless to say, you knifing alone is not a threat at all. LOL

I'll be looking for you looking for me and look forward to it. :icon_mrgreen:

Patmonster
03-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Oh Pat, so cute. I'll continue to wreck you in game, no worries. :) It's like no one reads this thread before they make a post. I'm pretty sure I've explained the situation clearly by now so I won't bother explaining it again, but needless to say, you knifing alone is not a threat at all. LOL

I'll be looking for you looking for me and look forward to it. :icon_mrgreen:

Lol I did read. So did everyone else, and everyone agrees.

BUT BUT.. for sake of argument.. Let's say everyone agreed with you, how would you even enforce this?Would you look for 2 people with knives out on the same team and threaten to ban them for using weapons they spawn with? lol.
I understand the need to vent, but think this though :)

jwtemp
03-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Lol I did read. So did everyone else, and everyone agrees.

BUT BUT.. for sake of argument.. Let's say everyone agreed with you, how would you even enforce this?Would you look for 2 people with knives out on the same team and threaten to ban them for using weapons they spawn with? lol.
I understand the need to vent, but think this though :)

Well if you read it, you certainly ignored my argument in your reply! I'm thinking that perhaps many 'agree' that knife trolling me out of a win is hilarious, I'm not sure they would 'agree' that knife trolling them would be so funny when they have time for one game and some assholes ruin it. But I digress - I've gotten my answer, and so it shall be. Ironically, since making this post, the situation hasn't occurred again (after occurring three days in a row on four separate maps).

That's a really good question. I'm not sure how I'd enforce it. Maybe slap the five players who are knifing every round down to one knife hit's worth of HP? Kindly request that they stop, as we make it 'against the rules' to play the game just for the sake of ruining someone else's time? It's hard to argue you're knifing 'for a fun, skilled way to play the game' when your score is 3-20. Maybe force the entire server to knife only when dicks wanna dick? I'm sure there's a way to enforce something like this, even if it comes down to kicking the penises responsible. :) The biggest problem with enforcement would be judging intent. Is someone really knifing because they want to knife, or are they knifing because five other teammates are and they just want to be part of the map ruining fun?

YOU THINK. :P

Grits
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't play gungame much anymore, but I use to be quite regular. I've been around since the first iteration of the mod and even ran a pretty decent server for a while. This has been around since stealing levels became possible. I don't see what you could do about it, nor do I think a complaint is needed. To whether its game ruining or not, its perspective. Obviously the other team likes the challenge of knifing people who are shooting at them (which gun game rewards). You're talking about changing the entire gun game dynamic IMO

Either buck up, aim better, or pull out your knife :-P