PDA

View Full Version : Something change?

jwtemp
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
So last night and this morning, I'm getting random 'frame skips' while playing. It's hard to explain, but basically it's as if I'm droping 10/300 frames once every three to five seconds, causing a small gap in the action. It's making playing extremely frustrating as when I get them my aim gets all fucked up.

So my question is did something change on the server recently or is this problem on my end? I would just assume it's me, but Wabbit and a couple of others complained of some laggy behavior as well.

Patmonster
03-25-2013, 06:59 PM
You are not the only one noticing this. I can't vouch because my ping bounces regularly anyways but I have heard several complaints since this morning about this issue. These complaints are coming from regulars and new people alike.

Thanks for the post JW :) and it might just need a quick restart.

Post if anything is done to the server here please so we can see if it continues to happen.

jwtemp
03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Cool, I'm glad to hear it's not just me experiencing/hearing these reports. I was getting pissed off earlier, haha, so it's nice to be vindicated. :D

Patmonster
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Update to server:

Brett came in and restarted the server.
I am not having the issues, but JW along with a few others said they were still having the issues.

CYBER
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
u're not the only one ...
same shit is happening to me, and i2o4 also bitched to me about this same issue. that frame skip made it impossible for us to get any decent vaga shots in wcs.

its not just gg, it's also wcs...
maybe the valve update caused smthn?

ZERO
03-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Personally I had a lot of isp issues today, do you all have Comcast?

jwtemp
03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
No Comcast here, AT&T U-Verse. I'm not having any trouble on any other CS:S servers and I just don't think it's possible this many people are having issues and they're all simultaneously having Internet problems (unless the server's ISP is the issue).

It definitely is still happening, although after the reboot it seemed to be improved (was at least mostly playable with notable exceptions). Thanks for looking into this for us!

ZERO
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Are you able to tell if your fps is dropping at all. I am going to be updating SM and MM to newer versions next time I see servers empty.

jwtemp
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Are you able to tell if your fps is dropping at all. I am going to be updating SM and MM to newer versions next time I see servers empty.

Actually I haven't paid close attention to fps in the net graph. I'll let you know the next time I play.

ZERO
03-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Well i have played though 2 maps so far without seeing the issue. Also no one in game is reporting any problem at this time. Perhaps the issue was regional and is now gone or was an issue with particular maps post recent valve update.

Patmonster
03-25-2013, 10:51 PM
If it helps, [FLOT]Annoy was saying he was getting the same lag and for example when it hit while he was relaoding it would show him reloading his gun twice.

ZERO
03-25-2013, 11:51 PM
I found that the in game psycho stats system was bugged up so I have corrected that issue. It is possible that had something to do with it.

However, unless it is occurring to every client in the game and at the same time it is a server related issue. Otherwise if it is just isolated clients it is something wrong with their settings or system.

Hopefully the issue should be resolved for everyone now though. In the last 2 hours I have not been able to see the issue occur even once yet.

jwtemp
03-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Happy to report the issue no longer persists. Thanks yet again Zero.

On a side note, a new issue has cropped up that is unbelievably minor, but I thought I'd report it anyway. When players leave the GG server, a reason is no longer given (just empty parentheses whereas before we'd be notified if they disconnected/got kicked/were banned - now it's just () with nothing inside). Again, very minor but thought you'd like to know.

ZERO
03-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Very strange, I wonder what the mod that controlled that was. I do not see any errors for one nor have I changed any plugins that would effect this...

jwtemp
03-30-2013, 06:39 AM
The problem continues, and once again not only for me. While it wasn't terrible last night, it was still annoying, and it was happening in spades this morning with only six people logged onto the server. Definitely seems to get worse the longer the server is online if that tells us anything.

I'm not sure how much better I can describe the behavior, but I'll try. It's like I'm lagging, but I'm not. I can consistently ping the server and don't drop any packets. But when the problem starts, it's like a series of frames within a set simply gets 'skipped.' When it happens two or three times a round (last night), it's not so bad. When it happens every five seconds (this morning) it becomes a real pain. It only really affects aiming, because when the skipping happens it either adds or deletes additional movement to the mouse, making aiming very difficult and sometimes pretty much impossible when finer precision is required. But hey, who needs to aim in CS:S? :icon_mrgreen:

I wish I could help more. Let me know if I can.

Patmonster
03-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Zero was in GG last night and no one could feel this "lag."

Some trouble shooting tips you need to do since Zero can't reproduce the issue.

Start running net_graph 3 - Pay attention when you lag and find out what color spikes. The color has to spike and stay spiked for roughly a quarter inch. Try taking a screen shot to show us what your graph looks like when it happens.

Start writing down what maps are doing it.

When it lags a lot, pull that demo. Watch it and see if you can see yourself lag. Post your findings. If the server doesn't see you lagging it is probably client side.

Zero and I were also finding some trends, Nvidia drivers being updated and Wireless internet. Post if you have or have done those things.

--------------------
Until we are able to reproduce these things, PLEASE, Don't bad mouth the server. That will kill the server more then anything else. If it's lagging, they know and they don't need admins reminding them every two seconds, of giving people with big egos an excuse for having a shitty score.

jwtemp
03-30-2013, 12:51 PM
I do have an nVidia card but I play with a wired connection, not wireless. It's a GTX 670 and it handles Counter-Strike: Source while taking a nap.

I always have net_graph 3 set as my option. I do see gaps, but definitely not a massive quarter inch gap like you're talking about. The skips do seem to coincide with these gaps - I'd say the gaps last about as long as the problem, i.e. several small gaps on the net_graph corresponds to several small 'skips' in game. So maybe it's a network issue, although it could easily be whatever is causing the problem is causing me to lose connection with the server temporarily. Both would explain and account for the issue.

I'd say it's my Internet, but that's not possible - every other server I play on works completely fine. Also I don't think that a server reset would temporarily resolve a client side issue. Actually, I know it wouldn't. :)

Demos do not show this behavior. Nor does observing me in game. I can say with 99% certainty it's not a client side issue and the issue is something specific to IBIS servers (although granted, I only play on the GG server regularly). While no one may have reported it last night, it's still happening with regular frequency. I can start taking down the names of those also experiencing the issue if you guys think it would help resolve it.

Edit: I stand corrected. The problem definitely presents itself in self-recorded demos. Below you will find two demos attached. The first, titled 'skippy_mcskipperson.dem' was recorded on the IBIS GG server during sex_fix. The second, 'does_this_skip.dem' was recorded on a random GG DM server I found.

Please note that BOTH demos appear to exhibit some kind of bug where the map is constantly trying to 'catch up.' My guess is this is a result of playing a seven year old game on a video card that is too powerful for the engine. This is not what you want to look for however.

The difference between the two servers is very distinct in my opinion, but I'll explain anyway. On the IBIS server, you'll notice me 'hopping' or 'teleporting' every few steps. Other players exhibit this behavior as well - they're never quite 'in sync' on the screen as they're moving.

On the non-IBIS server, this does not happen at all. Movement is smooth (minus the 'bug' I described earlier) for both myself and the other players on the server.

I hope this helps both explain the problem and lead us toward a resolution.

SCRIBBLE
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
I do have an nVidia card but I play with a wired connection, not wireless. It's a GTX 670 and it handles Counter-Strike: Source while taking a nap.

I always have net_graph 3 set as my option. I do see gaps, but definitely not a massive quarter inch gap like you're talking about. The skips do seem to coincide with these gaps - I'd say the gaps last about as long as the problem, i.e. several small gaps on the net_graph corresponds to several small 'skips' in game. So maybe it's a network issue, although it could easily be whatever is causing the problem is causing me to lose connection with the server temporarily. Both would explain and account for the issue.

I'd say it's my Internet, but that's not possible - every other server I play on works completely fine. Also I don't think that a server reset would temporarily resolve a client side issue. Actually, I know it wouldn't. :)

Demos do not show this behavior. Nor does observing me in game. I can say with 99% certainty it's not a client side issue and the issue is something specific to IBIS servers (although granted, I only play on the GG server regularly). While no one may have reported it last night, it's still happening with regular frequency. I can start taking down the names of those also experiencing the issue if you guys think it would help resolve it.

Edit: I stand corrected. The problem definitely presents itself in self-recorded demos. Below you will find two demos attached. The first, titled 'skippy_mcskipperson.dem' was recorded on the IBIS GG server during sex_fix. The second, 'does_this_skip.dem' was recorded on a random GG DM server I found.

Please note that BOTH demos appear to exhibit some kind of bug where the map is constantly trying to 'catch up.' My guess is this is a result of playing a seven year old game on a video card that is too powerful for the engine. This is not what you want to look for however.

The difference between the two servers is very distinct in my opinion, but I'll explain anyway. On the IBIS server, you'll notice me 'hopping' or 'teleporting' every few steps. Other players exhibit this behavior as well - they're never quite 'in sync' on the screen as they're moving.

On the non-IBIS server, this does not happen at all. Movement is smooth (minus the 'bug' I described earlier) for both myself and the other players on the server.

I hope this helps both explain the problem and lead us toward a resolution.

nVidia released a new update for a 670 a few days ago. It may fix your issue, it fixed a few of mine.

jwtemp
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
nVidia released a new update for a 670 a few days ago. It may fix your issue, it fixed a few of mine.

Are you referring to the update released Monday in anticipation of Bioshock: Infinite? If so, already applied. :(

SCRIBBLE
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Are you referring to the update released Monday in anticipation of Bioshock: Infinite? If so, already applied. :(

That was it...

I will note that since the update I have started seeing bullets again. How in the fuck?

jwtemp
03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
That was it...

I will note that since the update I have started seeing bullets again. How in the fuck?

That's a new tracer mod Zero added actually, about a week ago.

ricochet
03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm having this issue and it's a big annoyance!

I have comcast as well.