PDA

View Full Version : laggin on server

beemer
03-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I uploaded some screen shots to my profile of when the graph when I was lagging. Hope it helps, really like playing on your guys server, the lag is frustrating.
Beemer

ZERO
03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Can you upload them here, your profile is private so we can not view them...

jwtemp
03-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey beems, do you have an nVidia graphics card by chance? I uploaded some demos of the issue as well. It's still happening but seems improved today, I am going to assume that's because of a server reset at some point yesterday/this morning.

I agree, it's quite frustrating.

ZERO
03-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Can you verify if this only occurs in the gg server or does it occur in the other servers too. The more information I have the better I can identify possible causes and try to correct them.

Xerenix
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM
I've been having lag and the game freezing several times this last week on the Gungame server.

Unusual high ping and screen freezes while server messages and sounds still work.

Tried all the other IBIS servers aswell as other ones and get no lag at all on them so for me it's just on the gungame server.

ZERO
03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Ping issues point to some network related problem, perhaps you were having network problems by chance only when on the gg... another player reported fps drops but that is clearly client side.

Patmonster
03-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Ping issues point to some network related problem, perhaps you were having network problems by chance only when on the gg... another player reported fps drops but that is clearly client side.

i was personally helping beemer with this earlier today. I will list the symptoms below.
He lags randomly, sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much.
I can see his lag sitting in spectate.
With net_graph 3 it spikes with red, which is entities.
No ping issues.
No issues in other servers.

Thanks Zero!

ZERO
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok so he sees a large lagspike in red on the top or bottom graph? Also does this occur more often when people die or when there is a lot of players on his screen.

From the sound of it he is having fps drops due to having quality set to high for his equipment. Has he tried a total reinstall to see if that does anything?

Patmonster
03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Ok so he sees a large lagspike in red on the top or bottom graph? Also does this occur more often when people die or when there is a lot of players on his screen.

From the sound of it he is having fps drops due to having quality set to high for his equipment. Has he tried a total reinstall to see if that does anything?

Think the top graph. Not 100% though. It really did seem random. Did it when everyone was alive and when there was just 2 people left on the map.

I would agree with you about the quality too high, but him playing for long periods of time on other servers without incident takes that out of play.

Also, he is a long time regular(same for most people now with this lag) and he has never lagged like this before. I can vouch for that.

I'm really thinking it has something to do with when you updated the server. Tracers ect. 75% of the people can't even see the tracers. Even after reinstall or validating. Is there any way, for troubleshooting purposes, we can flash the server back 2 weeks and see if that fixes that lag?

CYBER
03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
zero sorry beforehand for the long post, but this is exactly what happens on both gg and wcs:

personally i keep getting the red "unable to connect to server" warning message at the top right corner of the screen in both GG and WCS and my game would just pause for a good 12 seconds before i can come back.
The weird thing is that i don't hear audio, and video just stops, however, if i were to be typing while in that mode, people would still get my messages, and i can see them when im back in game...
This only happens on those 2 servers

some weird shit..

as for gg SPECIFICALLY? it does have lag. weird framerate.
in wcs i can shoot an m4 and i can control it properly, however in gg, after each bullet, my crosshair seems to skip 1mm to the left or right of that person's head, forcing me to constantly re-adjust my aim very very unsteadily.

I'm not the most accurate shooter, but i do admit that it's easier to aim in wcs than in gg when it comes to keep a crosshair fixed at a spot.
it's as if im skipping frames when im shooting... and aiming seems choppy.
and it only happens in gg.

ZERO
03-31-2013, 09:01 PM
How often do you get these errors?

CYBER
03-31-2013, 10:54 PM
How often do you get these errors? 2-3 times a map on average. 5 on my unlucky days. And i play at 2 different gaming spots, different providers, same issue..So its doubtful that it's My internet

ZERO
03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
OK I have identified some variance in wcs and gg rate configuration and matched gg to wcs. This should correct issues clients were reporting where wcs was fine for reg but gg could be off a bit.

Patmonster
04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
OK I have identified some variance in wcs and gg rate configuration and matched gg to wcs. This should correct issues clients were reporting where wcs was fine for reg but gg could be off a bit.

What are the correct rates for GG? Or what would you recommend? That was I can tell people to set their rates to that number.

ZERO
04-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Correct rates very by client, if you have dectne internet speed like at least 1Mb/s than you will want rate set to atleast 50000

You should configure your lerp based on how good your connection and lag issues are. If you get high latency or are on wireless you need a lerp of 100. If your on a solid connection and never have lag and a low ping lower settings work good but never lower than 20. I use 20 but it is important to note that lerp can casue poor hitboxes on laggy clients if yours is set to low.

Xerenix
04-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Thought of that, but on server list, all other IBIS servers were fine while only GG had over 300 latency. Even changed to WCS after GG and had normal ping but when i changed back to GG, it became over 300 again.

GG is the only server i've had problems on as any other server runs fine.

ZERO
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
cyber told me last night after I made the changes that all of his problems in gg went away and it was the best he had ever seen it run. Have you seen any change in gg today?

Xerenix
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
cyber told me last night after I made the changes that all of his problems in gg went away and it was the best he had ever seen it run. Have you seen any change in gg today?

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to be fixed now

ZERO
04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Ah so it was da rates... muahahaha :smirk:

jwtemp
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
The problem persists for me. I continue to skip frames and lag when attempting to aim, regardless of map/players connected/complete reinstall of CS:S/etc. I know we want to blame my machine or my game client, but every other server works completely fine - it's definitely something local to this GG server.

I'm going to be taking a break from playing on IBIS servers until this gets resolved (if it gets resolved). It could be that I'm the only remaining person still affected, but I doubt it. I'll continue to lurk the forums though so if there's a firm resolution, a post about it would be nice. Thanks again Zero for your hard work on getting things right.

Disflux
04-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Same thing happens to me, and only on GG server. I didn't have any problems playing on any other servers. Just seems to stutter occasionally for me, enough for it to be irritating to play, and I got a couple of random ping jumps near the beginning of rounds.

ZERO
04-02-2013, 12:11 AM
On the 16th all the servers are going to be reinstalled from scratch as a new valve update is coming out to break everything. Perhaps after the server is reinstalled from scratch it will resolve the issue.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

The problem persists for me. I continue to skip frames and lag when attempting to aim, regardless of map/players connected/complete reinstall of CS:S/etc. I know we want to blame my machine or my game client, but every other server works completely fine - it's definitely something local to this GG server.

I'm going to be taking a break from playing on IBIS servers until this gets resolved (if it gets resolved). It could be that I'm the only remaining person still affected, but I doubt it. I'll continue to lurk the forums though so if there's a firm resolution, a post about it would be nice. Thanks again Zero for your hard work on getting things right.

You sure it is only for gg and does not occur on any of our other servers?

What is your rate set to and what is your lerp at?

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Also can you verify if you get the issue at all when in the GG DM FFA test server?

jwtemp
04-02-2013, 07:57 AM
You sure it is only for gg and does not occur on any of our other servers?

What is your rate set to and what is your lerp at?

Also can you verify if you get the issue at all when in the GG DM FFA test server?

My rate is set to 50000, lerp is always 100.0 according to my net_graph but I'm not positive what the command is to check that via console.

I cannot 100% confirm this happens in WCS or in the pub, I feel like I remember that it does but I don't want to give out bad information so I will test tonight. Likewise, I will test the GG DM FFA server tonight as well and let you know the result.

Sorry to hear about the game breaking update - thought it was farther off than that. :(

ZERO
04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
When you verify if it occurs on the other servers also send your system specs including drivers.

ZERO
04-02-2013, 11:51 AM
In the patch notes for the updating coming on the 16th:

-Improved firing behavior in Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike:Condition Zero and Half-Life Deathmatch, it is no longer dependant on client or server frame rate. This change needs both your client and server updates to see the improvements.

I wonder if that will be the solution here...

jwtemp
04-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Did they intentionally leave CS:S out of that statement or should we assume CS encompasses CS:S as well?

jwtemp
04-02-2013, 05:00 PM
The problem exists on GG, WCS and the new GG DM FFA server. I did not test the pub as it was empty. It is less pronounced on WCS and GG DM FFA (as far as I could tell, but only tested for a few rounds) but still quite present. Here are my system specs:

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with ...
Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EZRX 1.50 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
27" LG 1080p widescreen monitor

Video drivers are the latest version from nVidia, released 03/25/13, 314.22.

ZERO
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Do you have vsync on?

ZERO
04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
The problem exists on GG, WCS and the new GG DM FFA server. I did not test the pub as it was empty. It is less pronounced on WCS and GG DM FFA (as far as I could tell, but only tested for a few rounds) but still quite present. Here are my system specs:

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with ...
Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EZRX 1.50 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
27" LG 1080p widescreen monitor

Video drivers are the latest version from nVidia, released 03/25/13, 314.22.

Also to make this clear the issue does not occur on ZM?

jwtemp
04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I didn't test ZM as I never play there. I can test it if you'd like, just let me know.

No, vsync is turned off. I tried both letting the frames go wild (seems CS:S maxes out at 300fps) and the max_fps command set to various numbers (100, 120, 80, etc.) - neither had an effect.

ZERO
04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Do your frames actually drop or does your game "shutter" or do you get network lag like "warping"

jwtemp
04-03-2013, 06:20 AM
My frames never actually drop, it's like 'warping,' i.e. I skip a few frames (packets) every few seconds. I've also experienced other players 'warping' as well which would definitely lead me toward thinking this is somehow network related.

Maybe it's as simple as the route between the IBIS servers and my house? If so, it would explain why I only have a problem on IBIS servers, but that would also suck in a big way, because there's positively nothing I can do about that (and I'm sure many others in my region would be in the same boat). :(

ZERO
04-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Try to increase lerp to 200 and also decrease it to 20 and see how those values impact you. Normally players warp when they have high ping but I have seen one case where a player was and it stopped after they restarted their computer. (they appeared warping to me but not to themselves)

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Also I live in Roswell and am on Comcast and do not have any issues. I would recommend to also try another network. Perhaps something in a firewall our router setting is causing it to lag when on our servers.

Have you tired connecting directly to the modem?

Resyled was having issues mainly on the NS2 server where he would get really high ping. However other games and even some other servers worked fine. For him I had him in cmd run ping google.com -t and he got some timeout errors. I then told him that those should never occur and that he has packet loss. He then connected directly to his modem to bypass the router and did the command again and no packet loss. Then he connects to the server and everything works perfect and his lag went away.

StarsMine
04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Microstuttering? you can change some setting in amd drivers to help since they are experimenting with two ways to lower it.

i2o4
04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
I have noticed a strange lag on the WCS server ever since the most recent steam update, which was about 1-2 weeks ago. It's minor but persistent and bothersome. Enabling net_graph 1 while playing, I notice my FPS drop to as low as 10 at seemingly random intervals for short durations. I haven't noticed a pattern in which maps it does or doesn't occur on, but I know it has occured on a large number of maps from standard maps like cs_office to custom maps. It makes it difficult to time jumps while bunny hopping or to tele-knife as vaga. This never happened before the steam update and I'm fairly sure it's not a network issue as my ping typically low (verizon fiber-optic connection, very close to server location) or a hardware issue (no change in hardware or drivers). At first I thought the FPS drop was due to action, like being in a nebula cloud or an area full of bodies and bullets, but then I noticed FPS randomly drop from 297 to 10-15 even when staring at a wall. Quite a few players in the WCS server have complained of the same issue over the past week or two.

ZERO
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Could be changes to particle effects that valve did in that build. Do not forget that just b/c you can not see the effect does not mean that it is not being sent to your system to render it.

We know the game break update is on the 16th so lets see what occurs then.

i2o4
04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Could be changes to particle effects that valve did in that build. Do not forget that just b/c you can not see the effect does not mean that it is not being sent to your system to render it.

We know the game break update is on the 16th so lets see what occurs then.

Yep, makes sense. I'm sure you'll be busy enough soon and the game is still playable, so I'll just make the most of it. Thanks for all your work, and good luck on the 16th!

ZERO
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Is this like a every few min issue or does it occur mutiple times in 1 round btw?

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

also make sure you got vsync off.

brett friggin favre
04-03-2013, 10:49 PM
i'm only having this issue on the pub, recorded a demo and took some screens of net_graph 3, noting when it spiked. i saw small spikes, mostly entities, when shooting and large spikes when shooting at enemies, but the laggy nature you see in the demo persists throughout. just in case it helps.

1st and last screens are after deaths, middle ones are after kills.

then again im seeing the same stuff on net graph on ggdm with no such issues.

ZERO
04-03-2013, 11:18 PM
YEa those ent values are normal.

ZERO
04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Problem with pub was that the map was lasting forever but apparently valve does not like that. So it will now reset the map every 30min if there is no players on.

jwtemp
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Any cl_interp setting other than .1 exacerbates the problem. .1 seems to be the 'sweet spot' for minimizing it (but that honestly just could be my familiarity with the setting more than the problem being compounded).

There are definite, easy to recognize, small 'gaps' in my net_graph 3 each time the issue occurs. It's as if my client is either not accepting packets from the server for a short time or the server isn't sending them to me for a short time. I suppose it's possible there's another explanation but that seems the simplest to me - I'm just temporarily losing connection to the server every few seconds.

I realize I'm beating a dead horse at this point and that a complete server overhaul on the 16th may resolve everything, but I wanted to report my findings on the lerp settings as I had some time to test today.

Patmonster
04-06-2013, 03:50 PM
have we tried pinging the server -t as you're playing? See if you lose any packets or if there is a spike at the same time? Might be interesting to see that.

jwtemp
04-07-2013, 12:05 AM
have we tried pinging the server -t as you're playing? See if you lose any packets or if there is a spike at the same time? Might be interesting to see that.

Yup, this was actually one of the first things I tested before I even complained of the issue. Surprisingly, I drop zero packets with a ping but it's obvious I'm not receiving some UDP transmissions for whatever reason. Since it only happens on IBIS servers I can only assume it's my route to the servers or something installed on them that just doesn't play well with my PC.

Sucks. :( Miss playing with you guys already and it has only been a week.

ZERO
04-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Actually talking with V today I had him set cl_disablehtmlmotd 1 and his problem was fixed. I then made some adjustments to some plugins based on this and had him set cl_disablehtmlmotd 0 and the problem was solved.

Please verify if you still having the issue b/c it was apparently solved with an update that I preformed today. If you still have an issue please enter cl_disablehtmlmotd 1 in console and let me know if that fixes it for you. :wtg:

jwtemp
04-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sweet relief (at least until April 16th, haha!).

I'm happy to report that after inputting cl_disablehtmlmotd 1 the problem is gone. Thanks so much for this fix guys!

ZERO
04-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Wait so if you switch it back to 0 does the problem return b/c I rolled out a change last night that should fix it even with it set to 0. Please test and let me know. :wtg:

jwtemp
04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
It felt like the issue was still there until I changed it to 1. I'll test for a good while at some point though just to be absolutely certain. If only for posterity! :)

ZERO
04-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I have noticed that some people have issues in general where as their computer can not get constant >70fps as is requred as a min requirment to not have basic lag and reg issues on any server. Here is a page that may help these users: http://config.site.nfoservers.com/tweaks/tweaks.html

Xerenix
04-19-2013, 11:55 AM
And it's back again for me. Played for a hour or two on WCS with no lag at all. Hopped into GG and i get lag spikes every other minute even tho my ping is 113 which is pretty low considering i'm in sweden. Had 120+ ping before without any lag.

All the other IBIS servers is without lag when i join, it's just GG.

ZERO
04-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Does it occur in GG DM FFA?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

From valve forums post update:

Serious stuttering of the game, high fps, high rates, no choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW7pcFGYg_M&feature=youtu.be

Try to turn off HDR and Bloom.

Jackie Marlow
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm getting horrible lag again. My choke spikes frequently to the 40's (only on ibis GG as far as I can tell).

ZERO
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
what are your rates?

ZERO
04-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Intresting so crappy drivers can give you lag: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_catalyst_134_update_addresses_latency_performa nce_several_games

Jackie Marlow
04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
So I got control of my choke a bit but there seems to be a server side lag now whenever a vote starts. It freezes for everyone to the point that we almost time out. Has this been posted about yet?

ZERO
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
when a vote for what starts?

Rellikdloc
04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
i didnt read thru all this forums, but i know this wasnt happening yesturday. it seems now everytime some1 types in nominate the server freezes up for about 5 secs.

jimmay
04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
i didnt read thru all this forums, but i know this wasnt happening yesturday. it seems now everytime some1 types in nominate the server freezes up for about 5 secs.

This same thing is happening on the zm server right now.

ZERO
04-29-2013, 10:18 PM
defrag is being run this is why the issue started after steam pipe b/c none of the current server files are defragmented as valve forced us to reinstall from scratch.