PDA

View Full Version : The Definitive Mafia Thread/Role Wiki

BladeTwinSwords
06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I figured that we need a list of roles and what they do. From now on, we should take our roles from this unless we EXPLICITLY state that they are being taken from elsewhere.

Definitions

Normal = Very Standard

Common/Normal Town Roles

Vanilla Townie (VT) - Has no powers other than the ability to vote.

Cop - Once a night, they may investigate a person to determine if they are town or anti-town. 3rd Party will show up as anti-town.
Cop Modifiers

Sane Cop - All results show up correct. (Normal)
Insane Cop - Results show up the opposite of what they normally are. (NOT Normal)
Naive Cop - All results show up as innocent. (NOT Normal)
Paranoid Cop - All results show up as guilty. (NOT Normal)
Random Cop - All results show up as a random choice. (Bastard)

Doctor - Once a night, they may choose someone to protect from bullets.
Doctor Modifiers

Normal Doctor - Protects his target. (Normal)
Weak Doctor - If he protects Mafia, he dies. (NOT Normal)
Quack - His protection is ineffective. (Bastard)

Gunsmith - Once a night, they may investigate someone to see if they have a gun.
Roles that are classified as having a gun: Cop, Paranoid Gun Owner (Obviously You Will Die Unless Protected/Bulletproof), Any Mafia, Serial Killer, Gunsmith, Jack of All Trades (Only if he has a Vigilante power. If he used it already, then he no longer has the gun), Vigilante, Mentor.

Jack of All Trades - Once a night, they may use one of their several 1-Shot Abilities. Typical abilities include: Cop, Doctor, Vigilante, and Roleblocker. As long as its abilities are Normal, then the role itself is normal.

Vigilante - Once a night, they may choose someone to kill.

Jailkeeper - Once a night, they may choose someone to protect and roleblock.

Mason - They may talk with other Masons through private messages. Day or Night messages is up to the moderator.

Miller - Any investigation on them will show up as guilty. (Insane Cop will show them as innocent.)

Innocent Child - At any time, they may notify the moderator that they wish to be revealed as Innocent to everyone.

Bodyguard - Once a night, they may choose someone to protect. If their person is targeted to be killed, the Bodyguard has a 50% to stop the attack and a 50% to be killed instead of the victim.

Tracker - Once a night, they may choose someone to see if they targeted anyone but not what they did.

Watcher - Once a night, they may choose someone to see who targeted them but not what they were targeted with.

Common/Normal Mafia Roles

Goon - They have no power besides being Mafia. They can kill.

Traitor - They cannot communicate with Mafia. They cannot kill.

Role Cop - Once a night, they may target someone to take their name and role. They can either kill or use their ability but not both.

Godfather - Appears as innocent when investigated. They can kill.

Encryptor - Allows Mafia to PM during the Day phase. When killed, the Mafia lose its abilities.

Poisoner - They may poison someone. That person dies on the 2nd day after being poisoned.

Strongman - They can bypass any protection. They can kill (Obviously).

Common Roles Used By Either Party

Roleblocker - Once a night, they may choose someone to roleblock. That person will be unable to use any abilities. A Mafia Roleblocker may kill and use their night ability.

Hider - Once a night, they may choose someone to hide behind. Any action that targets their person will also target them. (If their target is investigated, the Cop gets results from both the target and the hider. If a Mafia targets their person, both the person and the hider are killed.) The hider is immune to ALL actions that target them. A Mafia Hider cannot use both their ability and kill.

Doublevoter - They have twice the voting power of a Vanilla Townie. Mafia Doublevoters can kill.

Uncommon Town Roles

Lightning Rod - Passively redirects all night actions to them. (Including Kills)

Nexus - Passively redirects all night actions to a random player. (Excluding Kills)

Bus Driver - Once a night, they may take 2 people and switch them so that any action that targets one instead targets the other and vice versa. The Bus Driver may not target themselves.

Paranoid Gun Owner - Passively kills anyone that targets them.

Bomb - If they are killed, their killer also dies.

Coroner - Once a night, they may use their power on a deceased player. They will learn additional information about them. (Any role modifiers, clues to their killer, their role if they were cleaned up by a Janitor)

Governor - They can stop a lynch. Their ability is 1-Shot.

Gladiator - They may target someone in the Day so that only their target and themselves may be voted to be lynched. Their ability is usually restricted to 1-Shot or 2-Shot.

Virgin - If they are lynched, no one can be killed at night.

Princess - If they are killed, the next Day Phase is skipped.

Friendly Neighbor - Once a night, they can message someone to tell them that they are a Friendly Neighbor.

Firefighter - Once a night, they can choose someone to drench in water. Any gasoline poured on them is removed.

Uncommon Mafia Roles

Framer - Once a night, they may target someone to frame. That person will show up as guilty upon investigation. They may either kill or use their ability but not both.

Janitor - Once a night, they may clean up the Mafia kill, preventing their role from being revealed the next Day. Their ability is 1-Shot or 2-Shot. The Janitor may or may not be allowed to see the target's role. They may either kill or use their ability but not both.

Spy - Once a night, they may send a person an anonymous message about anything.

Thief - Once a night, they can choose someone and steal their vote the following Day.

Silencer - Once a night, they may choose someone to silence. That person cannot talk the next Day.

Sniper - At any time, they may use their ability to kill someone. Everyone will be notified of the gunshot. They cannot communicate with other Mafia. Their ability is 1-Shot.

Uncommon Roles Used By Either Party

Lie Detector - They may send the moderator a quoted message from anyone to determine if it is truthful. Their ability is usually 1-Shot or 2-Shot.

Mailman - Once a night, they may choose someone to send a message to. It is up to the moderator if the message is anonymous or not.

3rd Party Roles

Serial Killer - Once a night, they may choose someone to kill.

Neutrals - Their only goal is to survive. They win if they outnumber the Mafia and Town. There must be at least 2.

Survivor - Their only goal is to survive. He wins if either side wins and he is still alive.

Lyncher - They are given a specific person. If they successfully lynch the target, the lyncher wins and the game continues. They lose if either Town or Mafia win and their target is still alive.

Arsonist - Once a night they may choose to douse someone in gasoline. They are then vulnerable to ignition. The Arsonist may douse multiple people over several nights and then ignite all of them at once. A possible bonus power is that a doused target can be ignited by guns targeted at them.

Role Submodifiers

Bulletproof - Is immune to death by bullets. Can be sometimes gained as a reward. Always 1-Shot.

Lynchproof - Is immune to being lynched. Always 1-Shot.

Hammerer - Will automatically force vote someone if they only need one more vote to be lynched. If the Hammerer is already voting that person, then it does not count as another vote.

Hated - Requires one less vote to be lynched. MUST be told to the player or else it's Bastard.

Post Restriction - The person can only talk a certain number of times a day. MUST be told to the player or else the Mod is a complete asshole and Bastard.

Compulsive - A Power Role with this modifier must use their ability each night.

Macho - Cannot be protected by Doctor or Jailkeeper.

X-Shot - Ability has a limited number of uses.

Weak - If they target a Mafia with their ability, they die.

Lover - They are given a fellow Lover. They are not told their Lovers role. If one is killed or lynched, the other dies as well. Mafia and Town Lovers can be together.

Bastard Roles

Jester (3rd Party) - They win if they are lynched. They lose if Town or Mafia wins or if they are killed in any way besides lynching. The game continues after they win. Considered Bastard due to its job as an intentional mislead and mislynch. Also removes the point of the game which is to AVOID getting killed.

Judas (Innocent, Becomes Mafia upon dying) - Starts as Town but if they are killed or lynched, they become Mafia. They are NOT aware of their role. Considered Bastard due to being a Role-Switcher.

Mime (3rd Party) - A group version of Jester except all members must be lynched. Considered Bastard for obvious reasons.

Executioner (Town or Mafia) - Can force a lynch on someone if they have half the required votes. Ability is usually 1-Shot or 2-Shot. Considered Bastard due to being Overpowered.

Sensor (Town) - Each night, they may learn how many Anti-Town (Mafia and 3rd Party) voted to lynch the target. Ability is always restricted. Considered Bastard due to being Overpowered.

Saulus (Mafia, Becomes Town upon dying) - Starts as Mafia but if they are killed or lynched, they become Town. They are NOT aware of their role. Considered Bastard due to it being impossible to balance.

Cult (3rd Party) - Once a night, they can recruit someone into the cult. Their abilities may or may not be kept. If the cult leader dies, then all of the cultists die as well. If the cult leader targets Mafia, then the Cult Leader dies along with any followers. Considered Bastard due to being a Role-Switcher and being hard to balance.

Mentor (3rd Party) - May choose one person to be a Mentee. If the Mentor has a Mentee, then the Mentor or Mentee may choose to kill someone. If the Mentee dies, the Mentor may choose another person. The Mentor learns the role of the Mentee. If the Mentor dies, the Mentee also dies. Considered Bastard due to being a Role-Switcher as well as being hard to balance.

Death Miller (Town) - Upon dying, it is revealed that the Miller was Mafia. Considered Bastard due to the moderator flat-out lying to the players.

Usurper (Mafia) - Wins if they outlive the Godfather. Considered Bastard due to severely hurting the Mafia.

Any False Role (Other) - Considered Bastard due to the moderator lying in the worst aspect to the player.

Suicidal (Role Modifier) - Dies after a certain period of time. Considered Bastard due to generally being unfun to play with.

Voteless (Role Modifier) - Vote is worthless. Considered Bastard due to being just plain stupid.

Any Negative Hidden Role Modifier (Role Modifier) - Considered Bastard due to the moderator being an asshole.

This is currently a rough draft so I will edit it as needed.

Chikun
06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Bastard roles and modifiers should be removed from this list to prevent their use. The point of this list should be more of a compendium of approved attributes that could be implimented rather than a list of possibles with improbables.

Roles like a Mime, Saulus, and Sensor have no place.

We should also consider removing the Spy and friendly neighbor role and just leave the mailman as a combination of both. As it stands, anyone claiming friendly neighbor is asking to be policy lynched at this point.

Cult wouldn't be too bastard if a De-Programer or an Alarmist were forced in for balance and there was no mafia.

BladeTwinSwords
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Some Bastard Roles can be used if they are explicitly stated at the beginning of the game. The Bastard Section needs to stay just as a guide as how NOT to mod a Mafia Game. Role Madness games do not require the use of bastard roles/modifiers.

I suppose I can remove Spy since it is the exact same thing as Mailman. Friendly Neighbor is different from Mailman in that it sends a non-anonymous message.

Cult is called 3rd Party for a reason. Otherwise it isn't a Mafia Game without Mafia.

Chikun
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Nexus and Bus Driver should be moved to the uncommon neutral section.

BladeTwinSwords
06-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I very rarely see Bus Driver as Neutral but I suppose it's possible. I will put Nexus in the Neutral section.

Chikun
06-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Some Bastard Roles can be used if they are explicitly stated at the beginning of the game. The Bastard Section needs to stay just as a guide as how NOT to mod a Mafia Game. Role Madness games do not require the use of bastard roles/modifiers.

Fair enough.

I suppose I can remove Spy since it is the exact same thing as Mailman. Friendly Neighbor is different from Mailman in that it sends a non-anonymous message.

I suggested that the only one be mailman since it seems redundant to have multiple roles that essencially to the same thing.

Cult is called 3rd Party for a reason. Otherwise it isn't a Mafia Game without Mafia.

I was thinking of a modified Cultafia with recruiting limits (even/odd, non-consecutive, or whatever)

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Also, lightning rod should either be an x-shot or atleast be able to control when it's used to make the first night not retarded for everyone.

BladeTwinSwords
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I could combine Mailman and Friendly Neighbor to indicate that Friendly Neighbor is a confirmed Innocent Mailman.

Cultafia is and always will be overpowered. The ability to recruit and kill is a deadly combination even with restrictions.

Lightning Rod by default is passive. It's mostly used as a troll (but not bastard) role.

Blackmage
06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
One other reason to keep the bastard roles is, they can be used to balance some games. An OP role can be used to stop an overly strong enemy. They're also highly subjective. Notice princess isn't classified as bastard.

Probably don't need to include "weak doctor" as you explain what weak is in the submodifier.

Another variation of bulletproof is only blocking X-shots a night. Also, it sounds like you're describing a bulletproof vest, not the bulletproof submodifier.

Related, do you want to include items?

Chikun
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Cultafia is and always will be overpowered. The ability to recruit and kill is a deadly combination even with restrictions.

Well I was thinking that they could only convert X additional and only after gaining the max Y members where X + Leader = Y could they start killing or if the leader was killed. Cult has potential to put a twist on things if it can be done right, I'd just hate to see it get sidelined.

Lightning Rod by default is passive. It's mostly used as a troll (but not bastard) role.

It just seems silly that so long as the doctor kept using his ability no one would die on night phases.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

You should also include the Vengeful modifier.

Blackmage
06-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Lightning rod is used mostly to make it "nightless" for a bit, make it pure reasoning during day. Until doc or rod dies, you've got a free pass. Giving the mafia a delayed kill means you've only got so long. Giving them a one shot strongman means he dies night two. If you allow roleblock to happen before rod triggers, it can be nullified. Giving them a day kill means they can remove him without lynching him. Day kill possibility also means he can't just claim. LRod just needs to be realized while you're making the setup.

Chikun
06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Lightning rod is used mostly to make it "nightless" for a bit, make it pure reasoning during day. Until doc or rod dies, you've got a free pass. Giving the mafia a delayed kill means you've only got so long. Giving them a one shot strongman means he dies night two. If you allow roleblock to happen before rod triggers, it can be nullified. Giving them a day kill means they can remove him without lynching him. Day kill possibility also means he can't just claim. LRod just needs to be realized while you're making the setup.

This is why the ability should be activated. It just marks the player with certain death after the first night or even on that night if mafia has a strongman.

Unless town has a watcher there isn't going to really be any information gathering and therefore little reasoning.

Blackmage
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Which is why I listed a few non-certain death ones. Roleblocker only kills him if they target the doctor, or they roleblock and kill the same person WITHOUT the doctor also targeting them. It also can take a while to find the right person to block. Day kill only works if you find one of the right people.

Also, a watcher, a sensor, a lie detector all can work. And that's just using what's in this list. Most people have to make decisions based upon no information anyway, the whole town does if the cop dies. You just have to figure out if someone needs lynched. Such as, anyone calling for mass claim is a good choice in this setup.

But all I'm trying to show is LRod can be used effectively as an auto, all you need to do is give people the right tools. Should it be used often? No. But then that's why it's in the uncommon roles section.

Related: Might want to break roles down more and make a rarely used section too. For roles that aren't bastard, but do require some thought when adding them to the mix.

Chikun
06-24-2013, 03:46 PM
All I'm saying is that a lot less thought would be required in making sure a game isn't made in a retarded fasion or need bastard modding if it was an activated ability.

Sin
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Looks good. Copy/paste of Epicmafias character page lol

BladeTwinSwords
06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
That's the idea Sin. Add a few from Mafia Scum and most from Epic Mafia.

Nemesis
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Two things, first the Bodyguard should not be a 50% chance of either, it should be a sure thing.

Second, the bomb should kill whoever is targeting that player along with the killer, so if a doc is protecting the bomb and the bomb is targeted for a kill, all three players die unless otherwise stated by the mod.

I also want to say that I am 100% against post restrictions on players. This game is for fun and I think it's stupid to limit what people can say throughout the course of the game. This doesn't include the silencer role.
I would like to see something come that there will never be post restrictions in a game, what do you think?

acolyte_to_jippity
06-24-2013, 10:46 PM
wait, we've been using Epicmafia?

i've been basing everything off of mafiascum, since that's the resource we were given.

Blackmage
06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Aco, you weren't wrong in that assumption. While we've been using a combination of the two, it's been mostly scum. Most, if not all, roles from epic that we've been using have an equivalent on scum. Most of nomenclature is also from scum.

CYBER
06-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Two things, first the Bodyguard should not be a 50% chance of either, it should be a sure thing.

Second, the bomb should kill whoever is targeting that player along with the killer, so if a doc is protecting the bomb and the bomb is targeted for a kill, all three players die unless otherwise stated by the mod.

I also want to say that I am 100% against post restrictions on players. This game is for fun and I think it's stupid to limit what people can say throughout the course of the game. This doesn't include the silencer role.
I would like to see something come that there will never be post restrictions in a game, what do you think?

actually nem.. if the doc was protecting the bomb... the bomb wouldnt die in the first place... lol

but if a roleblocker or a framer or a cop was targetting the bomb... they die.
some ppl also put a max of "5" retaliations, able to cut through up to 5 people and their uses 1 of the 5 per bulletproof... but i dnt like that ... it defies the logic of a bulletproof...

Nemesis
06-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Also, Serial Killer shouldn't show up on a gunsmith investigation. Serial Killer usually uses a knife, so they should be immune from that investigation.

Blackmage
06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
What you both just posted gets into flavour. Some people use bulletproof to mean "night death proof", which is why they have the bomb bounce off bulletproof. Some use SK as a knife. If SK is a knifer, some rule that it gets past the bulletproof. Related: Epic killer goes right through BP.

Nemesis
06-25-2013, 01:05 AM
What you both just posted gets into flavour. Some people use bulletproof to mean "night death proof", which is why they have the bomb bounce off bulletproof. Some use SK as a knife. If SK is a knifer, some rule that it gets past the bulletproof. Related: Epic killer goes right through BP.

I don't think it's flavour, but more of the basic set up of the role and what should be expected of it.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Perhaps adding in some acceptable role combinations like Role Stopper/Lovers or a Mailman/Watcher.

also, i did not see but is the universal backup role in there?

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

should also add Motivator.

and the virgin princess modifier.

Nemesis
06-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Perhaps adding in some acceptable role combinations like Role Stopper/Lovers or a Mailman/Watcher.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

The whole point in making this list is so there wasn't stupid bullshit everywhere.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-25-2013, 01:36 AM
The whole point in making this list is so there wasn't stupid bullshit everywhere. what bullshit did i suggest? I suggested two roles and a role modifier. Both reasonable roles and a role modifier to balance all the bastard shit thats in that list already. Finally, i see no problem with role combinations, especially when we get to a point when we are doing role madness games.

Nemesis
06-25-2013, 01:38 AM
what bullshit did i suggest? I suggested two roles and a role modifier. Both reasonable roles and a role modifier to balance all the bastard shit thats in that list already. Finally, i see no problem with role combinations, especially when we get to a point when we are doing role madness games.
virgin princess is stupid.
modifier is stupid.
role combinations are annoying.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-25-2013, 01:43 AM
virgin princess is stupid.
modifier is stupid.
role combinations are annoying.

virgin princess makes for an easy town balancer and becomes a valuable asset to town.

The motivator is a very useful role, seeing as how to my knowledge it is the only role that protects someone from being roleblocked.

combined roles may be annoying, especially when there is only one or two but that is something that can be fixed with game specific rules put in place. Combined roles will make for very interesting games during role madness games. Games where night actions equate more then daily drivel.

Nemesis
06-25-2013, 01:46 AM
virgin princess makes for an easy town balancer and becomes a valuable asset to town.

The motivator is a very useful role, seeing as how to my knowledge it is the only role that protects someone from being roleblocked.

combined roles may be annoying, especially when there is only one or two but that is something that can be fixed with game specific rules put in place. Combined roles will make for very interesting games during role madness games. Games where night actions equate more then daily drivel.

If you'd rather play a game where everyone shoots lasers out of their dicks ad talking is boring maybe this isn't for you.

Masskid
06-25-2013, 01:57 AM

... don't know if stupid or blind... you know virgin princess is the combination of both VIRGIN AND PRINCESS, 2 modifiers that are already stated

Blackmage
06-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Virgin's under the "uncommon town roles" already.

Combinations should largely be left up to the mod, IMO. Simple logic should tell you if it's a bad idea. Lightning Rod/Nexus is bad. Giving 1-shot vig to a cop can work.

Also: this. (http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=The_Flying_Pumpkin_That_Shoots_Las er_Beams_Out_Of_Its_Ass)

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-25-2013, 03:47 AM
... don't know if stupid or blind... you know virgin princess is the combination of both VIRGIN AND PRINCESS, 2 modifiers that are already stated

lmao blind.

Sin
06-25-2013, 05:29 AM
What the fuck is the point of having this fucking thread, if Mods are just gonna be able to combine roles and abilities willynilly? Fuckin' christ people. No wonder the WCS race threads get so retarded. You faggots always want more. Do you not see how many potential character combinations there are to make balanced games?

Also, some of you queers should just not be mods. Period.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Also, all those bastard mod roles like the variations of cop are fucking stupid and should never be used, I don't care how clever you mod fags think you are, it's dumb. I read that rome mafia game thread. FUCKING SHIT SETUP!

BladeTwinSwords
06-25-2013, 07:30 AM
No shit Sin. That was possibly the most bastard setup period.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
What the fuck is the point of having this fucking thread, if Mods are just gonna be able to combine roles and abilities willynilly? Fuckin' christ people. No wonder the WCS race threads get so retarded. You faggots always want more. Do you not see how many potential character combinations there are to make balanced games?

Also, some of you queers should just not be mods. Period.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Also, all those bastard mod roles like the variations of cop are fucking stupid and should never be used, I don't care how clever you mod fags think you are, it's dumb. I read that rome mafia game thread. FUCKING SHIT SETUP! then mod your own game, hot hot!

BladeTwinSwords
06-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Modding a standard game isn't hard. All of our games have been Role Madness with the exception of the C9 game. On virtually every Mafia forum I've played on, it's just a standard 3-4 power role 11 player game. You win based on deductive reasoning, intelligence, common sense, and a little luck.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Modding a standard game isn't hard. All of our games have been Role Madness with the exception of the C9 game. On virtually every Mafia forum I've played on, it's just a standard 3-4 power role 11 player game. You win based on deductive reasoning, intelligence, common sense, and a little luck. .... you havnt seen role madness here at IBIS yet... when i say role madness im talking, multiple abilities per person, only one of those abilities can be used at night or day. Game modifiers like hit points and experience. if you want to see themed role madness i can always direct you to a LoL mafia game i found.....

you know, games that actually last 8+ days and Nights.

Masskid
06-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Modding a standard game isn't hard. All of our games have been Role Madness with the exception of the C9 game. On virtually every Mafia forum I've played on, it's just a standard 3-4 power role 11 player game. You win based on deductive reasoning, intelligence, common sense, and a little luck.

wow Vanilla would probably be hard to play here. Since everyone is use to playing WCS where everyone has powers. Some people may be sore losers when they receive no powers and would probably lead to a disappointing game. Also many of us here lack deductive reasoning, intelligence, and common sense.... >.>

Sin
06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Vanilla Mafia games are boring as fuck. We need games to START at night rather than day, as well. And no Mikey combining roles and powers is retarded for this community, this isn't WCS.

Masskid
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
We need games to START at night rather than day, as well.

But that takes the fun of killing scribble as soon as he confirms :(

Sin
06-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Night starts are just more fun, and most of the times gives us more information for Day 1.

What
06-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Night starts are just more fun, and most of the times gives us more information for Day 1.

Except for the guy who gets killed immediately and literally gets to do nothing. Also, I think this immediately kinda fucks the town since it lets mafia strategize before the first day, and makes any investigation or protection truly random since you haven't had a chance to read players yet and decide what you need to do.

What
06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Also whats the point of making a thread of information already readily available online if you bother to give it 2 minutes.

BladeTwinSwords
06-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Because this is IBIS and they are lazy fucktards.

Chikun
06-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Except for the guy who gets killed immediately and literally gets to do nothing. Also, I think this immediately kinda fucks the town since it lets mafia strategize before the first day, and makes any investigation or protection truly random since you haven't had a chance to read players yet and decide what you need to do.

This doesn't make sense to me. Skipping Day 1 avoids the random lynch that everyone knows is going to be town and everyone also knows that mafia is going to get a kill that night unless the doctor gets really lucky. So as it stands skipping Day 1 helps town by limiting the number of dead to probably 1 and provides the first day phase with an investigation and therfore more information.

Claiming any legitimate argument can be made about information gathering on Day 1 to me is false as no one is going to be claiming a power role unless they are very stupid or hoping they can get a protection and that mafia doesn't have a strongman. Everyone is flying blind on Day 1 and nothing is gained until the next day.

What
06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
and how many times on day 2 has no useful information been gathered? Quite frequently. At least with day 1 you have chance at getting a mafia killed, and yes I have often gathered useful information on the first day, especially who I should protect or investigate. And more importantly, day 1 provides information that can be combined with information and posts from later days to reveal more information, provided people are not lazy about looking back. I would be willing to try a night start game, but I am certain it will be shitter for the town than anything. And with a role like beloved princess in play, a night start could be incredibly devastating. Yes you are blind at the beginning of day one however you do learn some information which may prove useful, and a night start does nothing to provide better information and indeed could prove even worse. Also, you smell.

Chikun
06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Also, you smell.

I indeed possess this sence. You stink. :P

Sin
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Normally day start games gives certain roles the option to use their abilities DURING the day or ONLY during daytime, so that more information can be gathered. If we're gonna continue doing Day Starts, I would recommend adding that option to your role lineups, mods.

Nemesis
06-27-2013, 01:42 AM
So whose running the next game?

Also I think we should keep this as just a general discussion about the state of the game, things that happened during play that are both good and bad.

Sin
06-27-2013, 01:43 AM
I actually changed my mind about playing in Blade's vanilla mafia game. I'm out. Shit's too boring.

Nemesis
06-27-2013, 01:51 AM
I actually changed my mind about playing in Blade's vanilla mafia game. I'm out. Shit's too boring.

I don't think it'll be boring with the right group of people. It'll be totally discussion based and you won't have people saving themselves by being able to claim stupid shit that people can't verify. You'll actually have to know what you're doing to get through it. that being said, if it's full of people like Shadow and Taz and Wolf then you're right; it'll be stupid.

Sin
06-27-2013, 02:07 AM
It would just be cluttered with speculation and random lynching on Day 1/2. Actually the only saving grace for it would be if a Taz or Shadow played, because they would just blurt out random shit and be the obvious choice for a quick and easy lynch for info.

Really, those type of games don't get juicy until the 3rd day.

If we do end up doing that, there should only be 1 mafia goon.

What
06-27-2013, 07:35 AM
I indeed possess this sence. You stink. :P

Your a towel.

Chikun
06-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Your a towel.

No you're a towel.

BladeTwinSwords
06-27-2013, 01:19 PM
No you're a towel.

*Uses Towelie voice*

Wanna go get hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-29-2013, 02:56 AM
just so everyone knows, im on week 4 of drafting a Spartacus themed mafia game. This game will incorporate all roles and role combinations, a hit point system, and experience point system. It will be critical use of abilities at your disposal and soft claims, with a night 1 game start.

Nemesis
06-29-2013, 06:07 AM
just so everyone knows, im on week 4 of drafting a Spartacus themed mafia game. This game will incorporate all roles and role combinations, a hit point system, and experience point system. It will be critical use of abilities at your disposal and soft claims, with a night 1 game start.

sounds terrible.

What
06-29-2013, 06:44 AM

I would rather eat a shoe. The person who has displayed the IQ of a common heirloom Tomato is not the person to try to create a new game of byzantine complexity.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

No you're a towel.

No, sir, you are a towel.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-29-2013, 08:04 AM
I would rather eat a shoe. The person who has displayed the IQ of a common heirloom Tomato is not the person to try to create a new game of byzantine complexity.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

No, sir, you are a towel.

You mistake being a novice for something lesser. My intellect may prove to be much more grand on the creation side of mafia vs the playing side. I would not turn cheek. Play the game when i announce it, if it fails, criticize it then. If it comforts you any more, i am exhausting every mafia resource i can find to make sure its balanced and entertaining. Besides i find it had to believe it would be any worse then your game.... or others for that matter.

What
06-29-2013, 08:18 AM
You mistake being a novice for something lesser. My intellect may prove to be much more grand on the creation side of mafia vs the playing side. I would not turn cheek. Play the game when i announce it, if it fails, criticize it then. If it comforts you any more, i am exhausting every mafia resource i can find to make sure its balanced and entertaining. Besides i find it had to believe it would be any worse then your game.... or others for that matter.

Nice grammatical and spelling errors in there, way to prove your point that you aren't an idiot. I don't need to eat shit to know its not a good idea, and you creating a game is a terrible idea. Also, Cyber and I ran one of the smoothest games we had, especially after people took a second to understand what the setup was. You on the other hand, think that saying you're not something and then winking is a subtle means of communication, so any type of weird ass game you make is bound to be riddled with downs to the core.

Nemesis
06-30-2013, 01:17 AM

The chances of you fucking up are a lot higher than actually making a balanced game. The more stupid shit you have in it the more unbalanced it gets when someone dies. You may think you've thought of everything but I doubt it.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Nice grammatical and spelling errors in there, way to prove your point that you aren't an idiot. I don't need to eat shit to know its not a good idea, and you creating a game is a terrible idea. Also, Cyber and I ran one of the smoothest games we had, especially after people took a second to understand what the setup was. You on the other hand, think that saying you're not something and then winking is a subtle means of communication, so any type of weird ass game you make is bound to be riddled with downs to the core. I will be sure to use my capitals when writing an essay for you professor grammar Nazi.

@Nem, then perhaps you take a look at it....

Nemesis
06-30-2013, 02:13 AM
I will be sure to use my capitals when writing an essay for you professor grammar Nazi.

@Nem, then perhaps you take a look at it....

I'm thinking you're going to have a hard enough time getting players for it as it is.

What
06-30-2013, 06:01 AM
I will be sure to use my capitals when writing an essay for you professor grammar Nazi.

I made my comment because you were deliberately going out of your way to try and project yourself as an intelligent individual, even including some tone I am sure you felt was condescending but the amount of errors in the language made you seem like an idiot. That is what I am talking about, you like to think you can sit at the big boys table when all you can do is drool on your bib and call your bowl a hat.

Chikun
06-30-2013, 12:26 PM
The more that you think you aren't a drooling idiot in this the more you probably are.

This is how egos get inflated when there are easy targets.

What
06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
The more that you think you aren't a drooling idiot in this the more you probably are.

Stop being such a towel.

DJ_MikeyRevile
07-02-2013, 02:02 AM

Example: What

Nemesis
07-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Example: WhatI think he was talking to you.

Chikun
07-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I'll leave things ambiguous for everyone's benefit.

Even my own.

What
07-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I'll leave things ambiguous for everyone's benefit.

Even my own.

Towel.