PDA

View Full Version : GunGame Server Lagging Horribly

XX0wnsXY
07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
The gungame server has had terrible moments of choke/lag/whatever you want to call it, since yesterday.

edit: appears to be resolved.

5:48pm EST Lag is back in full force.

CYBER
07-03-2013, 03:44 PM
The gungame server has had terrible moments of choke/lag/whatever you want to call it, since yesterday.

edit: appears to be resolved.

i wasnt aware you still played.
figure'd you're too busy learning how to drive in trackbored'ya 2

XX0wnsXY
07-03-2013, 03:56 PM

yeah right! best racing game ever!

brett friggin favre
07-03-2013, 10:05 PM

don't talk shit about trackmania

jwtemp
07-13-2013, 04:11 PM
There's gotta be something we can do here. The GunGame server is lagging at twelve to fourteen players (shooting at someone while they're moving is like shooting thin air) and when the server goes above sixteen players, it's unplayable - rubber banding, teleporting, poor shot registration, etc.

Everyone is affected, so we can confirm it's a server issue. I know you believe you know the cause, but it's break time until it gets fixed methinks.

XX0wnsXY
07-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Yeah, the server is still bad. What can we do to remedy this? It's no fun playing with such lag :(

ZERO
07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
When i was playing in there the other ngiht for a few hours it was full the einter time and we did not have any issues. I have yet to be in the server when this is occuring... does it occur only on particualr maps?

XX0wnsXY
07-15-2013, 01:12 AM
When i was playing in there the other ngiht for a few hours it was full the einter time and we did not have any issues. I have yet to be in the server when this is occuring... does it occur only on particualr maps?

nope its random seemingly. when i get time ill pull some demos.

jwtemp
07-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Yesterday and last night things were pretty smooth although I still noticed times where the server was not 'keeping up' with player positions and thus the 'thin air' firing was at play. I think the immense lag/rubber banding issue only happened maybe twice, although I didn't play all day and all night long. Definitely is independent of the map being played - seen it across the board on all maps.

XX0wnsXY
07-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Ok the server has been lagging for the last...i'd say...7 maps (since i started playing). I pulled the demo of the last map (sex fix). It was lagging off and on but the biggest lag spike was right before mut won. Check it out.

the server quality is just really bad right now. Registration is bad, lag spikes, just NOT what the server used to be and it makes me sad :(

Jackie Marlow
07-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Mut has lag hacks now? Banned.

jwtemp
07-16-2013, 11:01 PM
:lmao:

Carmichal
07-16-2013, 11:28 PM
ZERO its all true! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fix it!!!!!!!

jwtemp
07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Zero, I know you're aware and likely working on it, but man, this is getting to be a real pain. Anytime the server has 16+ players in it, it lags out for me so bad, constantly. It becomes unplayable. Of course I keep playing, because addiction, but it makes me want to cut myself in unspeakable ways.

jeb the hick
07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
I suggest people move to the FFA server in the meantime.

ZERO
07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
If your referring to a large lag spike from earlier this afternoon I was in the server doing some work and thus all servers should have been laggy during that time. Also I am planning on doing some updates and a box reset next week. :wtg:

jwtemp
07-19-2013, 06:58 PM
If your referring to a large lag spike from earlier this afternoon I was in the server doing some work and thus all servers should have been laggy during that time. Also I am planning on doing some updates and a box reset next week. :wtg:

I figured it was you fiddling when I saw you dropping in and out of NS2. It is definitely going on this evening though, so it's not directly related to whatever you were doing earlier. Thanks for the update though and hopefully the reset will do the trick. :D

Rellikdloc
07-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I told you guys the server was lagging almost a month ago in my post, I knew it wasn't just my computer b/c like I said ive been playing on here for years and its just started lagging like hell all of a sudden, so I knew it wasn't just my computer that has had the same settings and even a new graphics card. Never had any issues before. But it seems to just be affecting about 50% of the ppl playing. Every time I play there are ppl complaining about the lag but there is also ppl that have no lag. Something is going on somewhere.

jwtemp
07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Undoubtedly a resource or bandwidth issue. 50% of the people lagging means the other 50% are being handled properly. Zero is aware, and I believe trying to work on a solution.

jwtemp
07-24-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.createdbyx.com/image.axd?picture=funnypic250.gif

Rellikdloc
08-03-2013, 01:49 PM
any progress or updates with the sever?

jwtemp
09-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Do we have any intentions of doing anything about this? The massive lag spikes are far less frequent (still happening though) but registration is still completely fucked at least 25% of the time, probably more. I seriously shot POINT BLANK into a guy with an M3 today - bullets hit on my screen, blood on his model on my screen, zero damage according to the server. This happens frequently - I will see blood stains on player models/headshot 'metal pings' on models/bullets going straight through player models and hitting the wall behind them without doing any damage whatsoever.

It could also not be a registration issue and simply be that what's actually happening according to the server and what's on my screen are not matching up. I get knifed from, literally not exaggerating, six paces sometimes. By people who are nowhere close to me on my screen. Get shot after going behind a wall. Get back knifed from the front. All of these problems are happening so frequently now that it has truly become unbearable. This really, really shouldn't be possible. It's unbelievably frustrating. I'm not the only person this is happening to but it seems somehow only certain people are heavily affected as I've asked around and some do not seem to feel it as bad or as frequently as I do. No idea if it's a client side setting or not. No trouble with any other servers though, I tested today just to be certain after getting fucked two games in a row.

I feel like this problem is being completely ignored at this point.

ZERO
09-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Firstly you may have noticed more issues crop up the last day or so when I have been in the server changing stuff around a lot.

Also the issue you described when you see blood ect on client side but do not get any credit for the hits is that your client prediction told you that the shots hit but when the server validated the shots it turns out they missed. " actually happening according to the server and what's on my screen are not matching up." this would describe that situation quite well.

However, it is important to note that server side lag should be up overall right now due to me messing around with the wcs test server so much getting these races updated. Lastly, there was just a big patch for SM to correct some big bugs in the release gg is on so that will be fixed next time I see gg empty. All other servers got the update just now. I have also just rolled out some changes to the back end scripts on all the servers to optimize some code not sure if that will impact anything but it should fix some strange glitches that I was seeing across all the servers.

jwtemp
09-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Wow. So you're pretty actively working on things. I mean, I get that my prediction is incorrect, but what I don't understand is why and also how it's only on the IBIS GG server. I can't think of a single time I shot someone on another server, hit my shot, saw the stain and didn't get credit. I know positively that the back knife issue doesn't exist on other servers - never have I been around back knifed while a person was standing in front of me on my client. If either has happened, it is so rare that I didn't even notice. Both problems happen on GG consistently and to multiple people.

Anyway, I appreciate the response and the explanation. I'm not going to sit here and say the problem is on your end 100% but there's definitely something between my client and the GG server that just isn't jiving. I suppose I could try different video configurations and see if one of the video settings is just too much for the game/the Source engine to handle or keep up with while I'm playing. I'm just so used to the look and feel of where it's at now that it's difficult to make a switch but perhaps that's my next step. That is, if you believe the GG server is functioning properly.

For what it's worth, I've got all my cl_ settings to what was recommended to me by Owns.

Ewok1
09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
It's definitely been worse the past couple of days, but it's nice to hear that it's primarily because you're improving things. I agree with Jdub that it's much more noticeable on GG than it is on the other servers.

Cry_Wolf
09-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Don't worry, I will invoke my will to stabilize the server from here on out. :horse:

Ewok1
09-20-2013, 06:44 AM
It didn't help, Wolf :p

ZERO
09-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Or it could be due to all of valves great "fixes" from Monday... :banghead:

jeb the hick
09-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I know positively that the back knife issue doesn't exist on other servers - never have I been around back knifed while a person was standing in front of me on my client.

OMG, I started noticing this, too. So frustrating, happens with both players who have consistently higher and lower latency than me. I hope this gets resolved soon.

jeb the hick
09-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I thought a demo showing an example of what jwtemp explained would be nice. Specifically, shooting an enemy, having blood splatter show up on them, but doing no damage.

Tick 42000, spec me, jebby. Watch as SFOD knifes me, takes no damage, yet magically gets a blood splatter on his helmet.
lego_mafia_arena_shots_miss_SFOD.dem

CYBER
09-23-2013, 11:40 PM
I thought a demo showing an example of what jwtemp explained would be nice. Specifically, shooting an enemy, having blood splatter show up on them, but doing no damage.

Tick 42000, spec me, jebby. Watch as SFOD knifes me, takes no damage, yet magically gets a blood splatter on his helmet.
lego_mafia_arena_shots_miss_SFOD.dem
I have also been getting knifed by people whose model is still 6feet in front of me. IT's not even a backknife then (smthn i like to humbly think that im quite good at),

and then i check the dmg and i see smthn like 110 in ONE HIT? Fuck dat shit... GUNNER especially in gg is able to pull that bullcrap almost consistently....

My rates are all correct, my latency is barely 18ms with a 30ms lerp.....

jeb the hick
09-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I have also been getting knifed by people whose model is still 6feet in front of me. IT's not even a backknife then (smthn i like to humbly think that im quite good at),

and then i check the dmg and i see smthn like 110 in ONE HIT? Fuck dat shit... GUNNER especially in gg is able to pull that bullcrap almost consistently....

Sometimes two front knives only register as one hit in the console damage recap.

jwtemp
09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Good to know it's not just me. I got some screenshots but didn't bother posting them, there seems to be a real habit of pushing these issues back on the client rather than trying to fix them server side (and I'm not saying it isn't my problem, just that IBIS GG is the only place it happens and it has been basically left to me to solve it). Haven't played in about two weeks because of this, doesn't seem there are any plans to resolve it/that it's actually considered a problem. C'est la vie! It was time for a CS:S break anyway.

Ewok1
09-24-2013, 01:22 PM
t IBIS GG is the only place it happens and it has been basically left to me to solve it). Haven't played in about two weeks because of this,

I've started playing on another server for GG because of these issues. I like playing on IBIS, but it's getting to the point of being unplayable.

CYBER
09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Sometimes two front knives only register as one hit in the console damage recap.
Yes i know that. But i was referring to those moments when u are full health, approach an enemy IN FRONT of you, knowing fairly well that u can score a backknife on them if needed, and then they register an insane amount of damage on you, killing u in half a second, roughly a few feeT in FRONT of ur model... It's stupid enough that this knife would register to bgin with let alone register twice or as a backstab in feont of me....
anywho, i also love the 22 in 6 P90 fucking bullets i shot at a guy going up a ladder... Seems legit

ZERO
09-24-2013, 06:33 PM

But is their rates and latency also perfect...

ZERO
09-24-2013, 07:26 PM
I am looking into some changes to the server side rate configs that may address some things.

ZERO
09-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Adjusted IQ priority to make this server the #1 task on the system to see what that does. I want to make changes 1 at a time with a few week spacing each so we know what is was that had the largest impact.

jwtemp
09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Wow Zero, thanks! I'll definitely give it a go at some point this week and let you know how it feels.

jeb the hick
09-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks Zero. I haven't noticed much difference with the knife problems tho.

Ewok1
10-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Just as a heads up, everything seems the same on for me. Knife and gun problems are still there just like always :(

ZERO
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
rgr, will try another change at the end of the week.

Ewok1
10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks for working on it, Zero

ZERO
10-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I have now made some changes that will effect the interp of players so they are forced to be twice as good as previously (now forced to ideal margins). This should directly impact where players appear in prediction. Lets see how this change plays out. :wtg:

CYBER
10-05-2013, 02:00 AM
dnt know about everyone else but reg is worse for me

Ewok1
10-15-2013, 03:38 PM
It's still incredibly terrible. Any updates?

Corn Dog
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
It's still incredibly terrible. Any updates?

^^^^^

Ewok1
10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Any updates?