PDA

View Full Version : SSD Time?

ZERO
07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
The totally stupidly crazy IO load from the NS2 servers during map changes is creating some issues for all the servers on the box. Mainly if any one NS2 server and any other server change maps at the same time it can take a while to actually change, and lets not even talk about changing maps on both ns2 servers at the same time...

To allow for faster map changes and thus better stability for all server overall I have been looking into getting a small SSD that could run the NS2 servers and the WCS server (the other servers would be too large to fit). This would not only allow those 3 servers to run very very fast but would also isolate them from the other servers and especially ZM which can get some long map change times if it occurs at the same time as the NS2 servers.

Obviously a server grade SSD is pretty pricy per month so over the coming weeks I will be looking hard at the number of admin subs to see if we can afford it. Worst case I can hope that the improved performance form the SSD will spark some new subs :wtg:

Assassin
07-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Good call. Still think you should think of getting some other way to get payment besides Paypal as well.

Chikun
07-05-2013, 08:18 PM
What about the actual lag on the ns2 servers that makes everyone Rubberband like crazy?

ZERO
07-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Only a time machine or removal of LUA code will solve that.

CYBER
07-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Good call. Still think you should think of getting some other way to get payment besides Paypal as well.

i agree on the paypal shit...
it's a piece of shit and it gives me the worst time every time i need to sub...

i know that u have it integrated so that it automatically gives ppl their admin, but im sure there's another way.

brett friggin favre
07-05-2013, 09:29 PM

and we're discussing...a fucking SSD?

shit zero, quit slacking and think big. time machine or bust, c'mon man.

-=Toy=-=Québec=-FR
07-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Damn right ! i vote : Google Checkout

ZERO
07-06-2013, 01:59 AM
google checkout does not accpet subscreptions at all to my knowlage.

Chikun
07-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Then why do other NS2 servers run fine without constant rubberbanding?

i2o4
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Is this why the WCS server seems to be a bit laggy today? Or is it just me? D:

jwtemp
07-08-2013, 07:11 AM
It's why all servers seem laggy. They all reside on the same box, so the NS2 server being naughty wreaks havoc across the board.

Zero, how many drives will you require and what's the approximate cost of each? I know what typical SSDs are running these days but have no idea what the server grade models are going for.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-08-2013, 07:29 AM
It's why all servers seem laggy. They all reside on the same box, so the NS2 server being naughty wreaks havoc across the board.

Zero, how many drives will you require and what's the approximate cost of each? I know what typical SSDs are running these days but have no idea what the server grade models are going for.

no, i'm pretty sure WCS is on a different box.

jwtemp
07-08-2013, 10:45 AM
The totally stupidly crazy IO load from the NS2 servers during map changes is creating some issues for all the servers on the box.

I read this as all IBIS servers are running on one box. If they weren't, why would one's performance/resource consumption affect any of the others? Unless it was bandwidth or SAN related, and I don't think ZERO's running a SAN, it wouldn't.

Locust
07-08-2013, 08:45 PM
"all the servers on the box."

that just means that some of the servers share the same box. not that all the servers are on the one.

jwtemp
07-09-2013, 06:47 AM
The original question stands regardless. If WCS is on its own box, how could issues on another server possibly cause issues with the WCS server? (note that I have no idea if there are issues with WCS as I don't play WCS and am going off Ro2's complaint of lag here)

ZERO
07-11-2013, 01:48 PM
In servers you do not buy the hardware outright (if you only paid once for the cost of the equipment this would actually save THOUSANDS of $$$) instead you are charged monthly for what types of equipment you have installed. For some equipment it is a wash b/c it would take a few years before you cover the cost of what the equipment would have cost. For other things like RAM you generally pay the cost of buying new ram every month. For other things like a CPU for example you basically pay for a new one ever year.

jwtemp
07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
In servers you do not buy the hardware outright (if you only paid once for the cost of the equipment this would actually save THOUSANDS of $$$) instead you are charged monthly for what types of equipment you have installed. For some equipment it is a wash b/c it would take a few years before you cover the cost of what the equipment would have cost. For other things like RAM you generally pay the cost of buying new ram every month. For other things like a CPU for example you basically pay for a new one ever year.

Ah, I didn't realize you were leasing the hardware and rather than owning it and having it racked/hosted somewhere. I'm sure that's more cost effective, especially in the long run given how quickly server hardware becomes obsolete and the maintenance costs that can quickly add up. I'm actually a sys admin so I know at least a teeny bit about these types of things. :D

That said, would there be a dollar amount or figure you could toss out to make the SSD upgrade possible, assuming you don't have enough subs to cover it?

ZERO
07-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I need to catch up on the accounting so I can see how the subs are trending right now as upgrades are determined from a moving average. But I think I have found some ways to cut some costs to reduce the total increase of the upgrade a bit.

jwtemp
07-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh swiggity swag! Let us know if you need a little extra push.

Yolo Swaggins
07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
I would be willing to give more each month but I am happy with just the reserved slot. I'm usually stoned or drunk when I play and admin probably isn't a good idea since I noob rage quite a bit.