PDA

View Full Version : CSS Freezes

RofLoLmao
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Whenever I start up CS:S, I attempt to join a server thats when it freezes completely and I have to force shut down my computer. This problem has happened recently. The server does not load up and once I click the server it crashes and freezes. There is no error message I get. I've tried deleting and reinstalling, but that did not solve the issue either. Also, now once I click 'Find Servers' it freezes on the spot no error message and my computer completely freezes. Any help would be appreciated.

maynard
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
reformat?

this might possibly help
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/117324-13-counter-strike-source-crashes

if not you could always google more ideas.

RofLoLmao
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
reformat?

this might possibly help
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/117324-13-counter-strike-source-crashes

if not you could always google more ideas.

Thanks for the website but that did not solve the issue. I've been searching google for awhile now and nothing seems to be working. This is a strange problem that seems uncommon.

jwtemp
07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Alright, here's what you need to try. This will result in a loss of ALL your CS:S settings and downloaded maps/sounds/whatevers, but we have to narrow down to determine if it's your computer or the game.

Uninstall CS:S via the Steam interface. After the uninstall is complete, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common (if you're using Windows XP, the (x86) won't be there, but same path). Inside this folder is a Counter-Strike Source folder. Delete it.

Reinstall the game. Report back here the results and we'll go from there to the next step.

RofLoLmao
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Alright, here's what you need to try. This will result in a loss of ALL your CS:S settings and downloaded maps/sounds/whatevers, but we have to narrow down to determine if it's your computer or the game.

Uninstall CS:S via the Steam interface. After the uninstall is complete, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common (if you're using Windows XP, the (x86) won't be there, but same path). Inside this folder is a Counter-Strike Source folder. Delete it.

Reinstall the game. Report back here the results and we'll go from there to the next step.

Well I have a feeling it might be the computer because I tried joining a server with Day of Defeat Source and the same problem occurred. Should I still try what you suggested above?

jimmay
07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Is it happening whenever you try to render any 3D graphics? In other words do 3D games other than CSS and DoDS work fine? My graphics card shit the bed a couple years ago with somewhat similar symptoms. Everything worked fine for 2D but as soon as I tried to play any game using 3D, everything would freeze and I'd have to restart my PC. I ended up just downloading a basic 3D demo to test with and it would crash every time I started it. Replaced the graphics card and problem was solved. This was back when Nvidia was having solder problems with their GPUs...

RofLoLmao
07-11-2013, 10:20 PM

UPDATE: This did not solve the problem.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Is it happening whenever you try to render any 3D graphics? In other words do 3D games other than CSS and DoDS work fine? My graphics card shit the bed a couple years ago with somewhat similar symptoms. Everything worked fine for 2D but as soon as I tried to play any game using 3D, everything would freeze and I'd have to restart my PC. I ended up just downloading a basic 3D demo to test with and it would crash every time I started it. Replaced the graphics card and problem was solved. This was back when Nvidia was having solder problems with their GPUs...

The only games I have are CSS and DoDS. I don't think it has to do with the graphics card though but I may be wrong. I am able to create my own server and play and everything else works it's just the "Find Servers" problem.

jwtemp
07-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Alright Rofl, next step. I realize this is a total pain in the ass, but assuming there's not a fatal issue with a piece of your hardware, we can get it working, just might take us a few tries.

After your computer crashes, is it blue screening or are you simply receiving a black screen followed by your BIOS boot up screen? Since it's also happening on DoDS, we can reasonably assume it's not just the CS:S files that were/are borked but also the Source engine files. In that case, here's what you need to do.

Uninstall ALL Source based Steam games (based on your description, this should only include CS:S and DoDS) from the Steam interface. After that, navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. Inside of this folder, you should see several files with a GCF extension - multiplayer ob binaries.gcf, source 2007 shared materials.gcf, source models.gcf, etc. - delete all of them.

When you go to download CS:S again, these files will be re-downloaded and recreated. If there's something wrong with one of your Source core files, this could be the problem and redownloading them should resolve it.

Let me know if it still continues to crash. It very well may, in which case we'll start attacking your drivers and hardware next.

RofLoLmao
07-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Alright Rofl, next step. I realize this is a total pain in the ass, but assuming there's not a fatal issue with a piece of your hardware, we can get it working, just might take us a few tries.

After your computer crashes, is it blue screening or are you simply receiving a black screen followed by your BIOS boot up screen? Since it's also happening on DoDS, we can reasonably assume it's not just the CS:S files that were/are borked but also the Source engine files. In that case, here's what you need to do.

Uninstall ALL Source based Steam games (based on your description, this should only include CS:S and DoDS) from the Steam interface. After that, navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. Inside of this folder, you should see several files with a GCF extension - multiplayer ob binaries.gcf, source 2007 shared materials.gcf, source models.gcf, etc. - delete all of them.

When you go to download CS:S again, these files will be re-downloaded and recreated. If there's something wrong with one of your Source core files, this could be the problem and redownloading them should resolve it.

Let me know if it still continues to crash. It very well may, in which case we'll start attacking your drivers and hardware next.

When the game freezes, it just stays on the CS:S screen and I am not able to alt tab or ctrl alt delete my way out of it. Also, the only .gcf files I see are winui.gcf and sourceinit.gcf. I'm not sure if that is a major problem or not. Just tried what you said JW and to no avail.

jwtemp
07-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Alright, then we have an underlying driver or hardware problem. Which makes this a bit harder to figure out.

What kind of video card do you have? Are you familiar with the process of uninstalling and reinstalling video devices and drivers? If so, completely uninstall your video card's drivers and the device from the Control Panel, reboot and then reinstall the latest drivers from your hardware manufacturer's website. If not, let me know and I'll give you some instructions.

Edit: Some people are saying they're able to connect to servers via the console. Do you have the console enabled in your game and, if so, do you know how to connect to servers with it?

RofLoLmao
07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I am not good with computers at all so instructions would help out a lot.

jwtemp
07-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Sure thing.

First things first, what operating system are you on, Windows 7 or Windows XP? Second, what video card make/model do you have? If you don't know the model, I need to at least know the make.

RofLoLmao
07-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Thank you.

I have Windows XP and the video card is "Sapphire RADEON X800(XL)"

Yolo Swaggins
07-12-2013, 08:00 PM
this is a common issue with ati/amd video cards as they get older. Once it starts it will likely get consecutively worse over the course of a few months until it is an every time kind of issue. A temporary fix is to completely uninstall your gfx drivers and reinstall them. This will make the freezing less frequent and hopefully stop it entirely for a week or two. The only permanent solution is to replace your gfx card. I highly recommend going with a nvidia card as they tend to have less problems.

I don't know where you live but if you're near a microcenter I'd suggest perusing the clearance rack they have there as you can usually pick up a 560ti for around $80 or a 660ti for about $130 or even a lower end card (it doesn't sound like you need a 560 since you only play css and dods) for less than $40

*Source: I build, repair and upgrade computers for some extra income on the side and this is something I run into on at least a monthly basis.

jwtemp
07-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Alright, sorry for the long break in between responses, been busy the last couple of days.

First, download the latest driver from AMD for your video card. Here's a direct link to the download page (you want the 'Catalyst Software Suite,' as it's the most complete and easiest to install version of your driver available): http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English Save it to your desktop or somewhere you'll remember after downloading.

Next, go Start --> Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs. Find any ATI/Radeon software in this list and uninstall it.

Last step, click Start and right-click on My Computer. Click the Hardware tab at the top and then click Device Manager. Expand 'Display Adapters,' find your video card (likely the only thing listed under this subsection), right-click and the Uninstall.

Reboot. After you do so, your computer is likely going to look jacked and pop up with a 'Found New Hardware' wizard. Cancel it and run the Catalyst Software Suite we downloaded earlier. It will automatically install the drivers and detect the hardware for you. Reboot one more time and try CS:S again.

RofLoLmao
07-13-2013, 01:04 PM
No problem take your time JW. Could you provide the link again please?

jwtemp
07-13-2013, 03:08 PM
HA! I had the page pulled up and the link copied to my clipboard but failed to add it to my post. :banghead: Here you go:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

RofLoLmao
07-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Ha no problem but I did everything you said and the same thing still happens freezes once I click "find servers".

jimmay
07-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Ha no problem but I did everything you said and the same thing still happens freezes once I click "find servers".

I find it odd that it happens only at that point. Not doubting just thinking, from a hardware standpoint, maybe it points to network adapter rather than graphics card. I take it all your other network / internet activity works fine.

jwtemp
07-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Easy way to test that - create your own server and see if you can play by yourself. Let me know if you're able to do so. If so, jimmay may be right and you have a networking issue. If not, I'm going to lean toward your card being the culprit.

RofLoLmao
07-14-2013, 02:17 AM
It might be a networking issue because everything else works besides finding a server.

jwtemp
07-14-2013, 09:16 AM
So you're able to create a server and run around with bots with no issue? Just wanted to be 100% certain.

After Googling your exact issue, it seems there are A LOT of people that are afflicted by this, starting July 10th or so. It's very possibly an some update Valve performed that isn't playing well with your hardware or configuration. If that's the case, we may be wasting time trying to troubleshoot it as Valve would need to fix it. I'm happy to keep trying though!

RofLoLmao
07-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh well when I googled I barely found information about this problem. Back to the creating a server and bots, I am able to do that but when I move and stuff everything is delayed almost as if I'm lagging? I don't know if I explained it right but would that have something to do with the video card?

jwtemp
07-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Yes, if you're lagging while running a local server with bots, something is going on with your video hardware for sure. Are you able to connect to any servers with the console?

It might just be hardware failure, unfortunately. :( We've pretty much attacked everything we can from a software perspective and unless it really is Valve's issue and they release a fix for it, I'm not sure there's much else we can do...

RofLoLmao
07-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Well that's interesting I am able to join through the console lol. Unfortunately the movement and stuff is all delayed and laggy. So I'm guessing it's just my hardware. Thanks for helping though JW.

jwtemp
07-14-2013, 04:14 PM
It could be, but honestly, it could be Valve too. With as many folks reporting the issue as I saw, it seems to big a coincidence.

Anyway, replacing your video card is easy, assuming you have the cash. PM me if you're interested.

ZERO
07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
To determine if it is a GPU problem run this: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If the program crashes or crashes your computer or there is artifacting than you have a GPU issue. If furmark runs fine than your issue is likely not gpu related.

Your problem could also be memory related, how much free ram do you have?

To test for memory problems you need to run memtest86 found here: http://www.memtest86.com/
instructions: http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm