PDA

View Full Version : Major server migration

ZERO
10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
As of NOW, I have ordered a major upgrade to our infrastructure. For relatively the same monthly cost we will be having a 30-100% performance increase on all servers and in the case of load times as high as 400%. This is possible by replacing our 1 dual processor server with 2 faster single cpu servers. We still have the same 8 cpu cores across the 2 servers but we now have greater redundancy and performance. Our raw per core clock speeds will increase by 30%. Our total available memory will increase by 100%. Our total thread support will increase by 100% due to HT. Our total HDD space and bandwidth will increase by 400% by going from 1 drive to 2 drives per server which allows us to separate out the servers across different disks to improve load times. Your pings will stay the same as the new servers will be in the same room just 1 or 2 racks down. In fact they will likely sit behind the same exact routers the current server does today.

So why is all this craziness being done? Well thanks to the expansion of the community over the years it is time to increase our capacity so that we may open new servers down the road and offer increased performance on our existing ones. We have used our existing server for over 4 years and it has been thanks to all of your support in that time that we have made it this far. I hope that all of you will continue to support IBIS Gaming and make the next 4 years on our new servers even better than the last 4!

During the migration time all servers will be taken offline to be moved over to there new locations. I will likely do this process on MONDAY. However there will be a heads up right before it occurs. In the mean time I will be getting the servers prepared for the swap out. The two new servers should be ready for me to look at by tonight.

Also, before anyone asks no this will not effect your rank/levels and no it will not effect the ability to get sourcetv demos after the move. However you may want to be fast about dling them right now b/c once the switch starts you will not be able to get them until it is done.

As for the server IPs they will be migrated to the new servers after the data is moved over. The servers are not expected to have any IP address changes :wtg:

Once again thank you all for making this massive upgrade possible. I think we all look forward to the newer and faster servers!

CYBER
10-24-2013, 03:03 PM
As of NOW, I have ordered a major upgrade to our infrastructure. For relatively the same monthly cost we will be having a 30-100% performance increase on all servers and in the case of load times as high as 400%. This is possible by replacing our 1 dual processor server with 2 faster single cpu servers. We still have the same 8 cpu cores across the 2 servers but we now have greater redundancy and performance. Our raw per core clock speeds will increase by 30%. Our total available memory will increase by 100%. Our total thread support will increase by 100% due to HT. Our total HDD space and bandwidth will increase by 400% by going from 1 drive to 2 drives per server which allows us to separate out the servers across different disks to improve load times. Your pings will stay the same as the new servers will be in the same room just 1 or 2 racks down. In fact they will likely sit behind the same exact routers the current server does today.

So why is all this craziness being done? Well thanks to the expansion of the community over the years it is time to increase our capacity so that we may open new servers down the road and offer increased performance on our existing ones. We have used our existing server for over 4 years and it has been thanks to all of your support in that time that we have made it this far. I hope that all of you will continue to support IBIS Gaming and make the next 4 years on our new servers even better than the last 4!

During the migration time all servers will be taken offline to be moved over to there new locations. I will likely do this process on MONDAY. However there will be a heads up right before it occurs. In the mean time I will be getting the servers prepared for the swap out. The two new servers should be ready for me to look at by tonight.

Also, before anyone asks no this will not effect your rank/levels and no it will not effect the ability to get sourcetv demos after the move. However you may want to be fast about dling them right now b/c once the switch starts you will not be able to get them until it is done.

As for the server IPs they will be migrated to the new servers after the data is moved over. The servers are not expected to have any IP address changes :wtg:

Once again thank you all for making this massive upgrade possible. I think we all look forward to the newer and faster servers!

WOOT.
do you think this will solve the wcs random lag spikes issues and long map loads?
what about the overall gg "choppyness" of the game that is most notably seen there ?

ZERO
10-24-2013, 03:14 PM
WOOT.
do you think this will solve the wcs random lag spikes issues and long map loads?
what about the overall gg "choppyness" of the game that is most notably seen there ?

Yes, dramatically so. Right this instance we are using 4.5GB of memory and we have 4GB of ram. The new setup will have twice the amount of ram and will separate the ns2 and CS:S servers physically.

CYBER
10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
and will separate the ns2 and CS:S servers physically.

(http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/showthread.php/11292-Petition-to-move-NS2-servers)

Halle-fucking-lujah!!

good job zero! and thanks for all the work you put in. love these servers.

acolyte_to_jippity
10-24-2013, 03:49 PM
how about NS2?

i think its safe to say our NS2 server is the most populated server that generally has less than 50% performance. its far worse than gg. will this bring about a nice performance boost?

ZERO
10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes we will be getting much higher performance at 3.4GHz and especially with the increase in RAM. Remember that the ns2 servers only care about single core performance and for that benchmarks show that we should get dramatic improvements in speed.

Assassin
10-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Sounds good Zero. Thanks for the upgrades and updates. This will def help out.

Carmichal
10-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Yayyyy

ZERO
10-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Also as I have ordered other servers for other companies via softlayer and they have given me some deals I might end up with even better specs. So wait until the announcement next week as it might be even faster than what I am saying.

ZERO
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
IF it was not obvious the move is occurring now. As the servers are very large it will take a few hours to copy the ZM server over. I will do the gg and wcs after that as they should be fast by comparison. While the servers are being copied they will be off. They will stay off until we move all the servers over and then move the ips to the new servers. After this I will then start to bring the servers online 1 at a time.

CYBER
10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
And so it begins! Fingers crossed that the lag i keep getting was server sided (i doubt...) and would be gone with better performance now!

StarsMine
10-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Man I picked a bad time to get on to CSS, soon as I join they shut down D:

ZERO
10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I have placed the ticket to have the ips moved to the new servers. Now we wait and once they are done I can start working on bringing the servers back online and restoring service.

ZERO
10-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Taking longer b/c

SoftLayer ‏@SoftLayer (https://twitter.com/SoftLayer) 49s (https://twitter.com/SoftLayer/status/394950834305265664) The NOC is working with the dev team to resolve connectivity issues to http://manage.softlayer.com (http://t.co/UzMXNTjGza) and http://control.softlayer.com (http://t.co/asauYZJQDI).

jdlogic
10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Well as I'm not really active on the forums I did notice the servers were down for obvious reasons, but after reading I do thank you for your effort with this.

I'm sure things will run smoother once the transfers are completed. Cant wait to try it out.

ZERO
10-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Figures right when we are all ready to move our stuff... lol

28-Oct-2013 21:58 UTC the NOC was alerted that the Customer Portal is not responding. Our Dev team is investigating the issue. [d7c]

ZERO
10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
The NS2 servers are up, there is a delay with the CS:S box as now they are telling me I can keep all the IPs except for the WCS server.

Omegxkid
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
I cannot wait to see the new power and speed with the upgrade, Zero U are the man! Oh also once i get back from my 3 month break i am taking to go up to canada I will be re-newing my admin so i can help keep the servers growing even more :D.

CYBER
10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
The NS2 servers are up, there is a delay with the CS:S box as now they are telling me I can keep all the IPs except for the WCS server.
the ONE server i want live, NAW! -.-

ZERO
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Ok looks like we will be able to get it swapped out. It is just a lot more difficult than there normal switch overs. So we still got some more time before they come up. The good news is that so far the NS2 servers are running a lot faster and so expect improvements for the CS:S servers too.

ZERO
10-28-2013, 07:47 PM
They are preforming the final switch now, it requires chaining the routs in the actual routers and switching so it will take a bit of time as this is a major route adjustment for a data center. (a wrong move could cut off traffic to everyone lol)

CYBER
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
They are preforming the final switch now, it requires chaining the routs in the actual routers and switching so it will take a bit of time as this is a major route adjustment for a data center. (a wrong move could cut off traffic to everyone lol)

careful with that scalpel zero:P

roshill
10-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Hope you can bring the servers up soon :) all the best ZERO.

Dr John Zoidberg
10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Exciting stuff. looking forward to it coming back!

phil.™
10-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Exciting stuff. looking forward to it coming back!

slut.

jdlogic
10-28-2013, 09:55 PM
It seems WCS is up and running :) Thanks again ZERO!

jeb the hick
10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Might this improve registry in GG?

acolyte_to_jippity
10-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Might this improve registry in GG?

http://www.mytinyphone.com/uploads/users/dseand/372505.jpg

lol jk, hopefully.

Tickle Me Emo
10-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Oh. My. Yes. The NS2 server runs so much better now it's absurd. I love you.

JimmyRo89
10-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Nice Zero. Thanks----------------------------------------> Peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee