PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting to keep score.. (Read zm players)

anex
03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
There's a lot of bull shit of people disconnecting before they get tagged by a zombie to keep their rank up.

I have found solution.

IV. Teleport

1) When used to escape from zombies as a human

I would say that rejoining the server to keep yourself from getting tagged is the equivalent of fucking !zteleing away from zombies. Its not fair to other players who want to get their ranks up as well.

I assure you if people start continuously rejoining the server to keep their bullshit score up, then lets see how your rank fairs against a ban.

Zero, I think this should be added to the rules.

IV. Teleport

1) When used to escape from zombies as a human

A) Commands such as but not limited to

a) !stuck
b) !ztele
c) !teleport

B) Unsportsmanlike conduct

a) Rejoining the server
b) Switching teams

Jeimuzu
03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I second what Anex has suggested. I've done it when random people came and broke my barricades for no reason, but koolayed (Even though he always uses !ztele to get away from me :banghead:) and a few others have been noticeably doing it quite often.

That or remove ZM rankings. It tends to discourage some players and causes other decent players to do things they normally wouldn't.

inthebutt
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
oh don't worry about koolayed he is getting a 7 day ban from me. as far as other people doing, anyone I catch will get a 7 day ban as well, no matter who they are.

THE HOLY SH**T!
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I second what Anex has suggested. I've done it when random people came and broke my barricades for no reason, but koolayed (Even though he always uses !ztele to get away from me :banghead:) and a few others have been noticeably doing it quite often.

That or remove ZM rankings. It tends to discourage some players and causes other decent players to do things they normally wouldn't.

Your still part of the problem, don't cade with morons or people you can't trust.

i like the idea. 30 min ban, 1 day ban, week ban, so fourth...

As for koolayed, ive ban him easily 6-7 times alone.. he's only got his feet left, before i demo and make an extensive ban.

Jeimuzu
03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Holy, I don't have a choice in the matter. I'll go somewhere and someone will follow me despite asking them to go away, others will break it to get in, resulting in me basically gaining a huge disadvantage.

And before you say something along the lines of demoing, I'd also like to add that even if you were to ban every single person that broke one of my barricades, there would still be more to come. I was just saying that I've only reconnected to the game when I've been given an unfair disadvantage because of another player.

ZERO
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
How about I just have the server ban players for a few min after they disconnect so they can not get back in....

TheLittlestHobo
03-16-2009, 11:19 PM
After thinking about this topic for at least half of my day and thinking on where to stand in this, I have finally concluded that the best thing to prevent this problem is to remove the ranking system. In my experience, I have first thought the ranking system was such a cool idea. Once it was introduced to me, the thrill to reach for the top was exponentially increasing and the motivation to be a better player was something I looked forward to.

How wrong can I be.

I reminised the times when I actually had fun prior to my discovery of the ranking system. To be honest, I appreciated playing on every single map and I loved meeting friends in IBIS and making god-awful barricades with them. Now, I have a strong drive for obtaining tons of kills while minimizing the deaths through the dirtiest ways possible. I am not going to lie to you folks. I used to ztele away whenever a zombie broke into my cade with a group of other humans with me. Sometimes I would be chased around and I would run around the corner so it wouldn't see me and I would ztele. I would even ztele away first infront of their face and reconnect to prevent a death. This was around the peak of my motivation to reach the top, after I have been introduced to the ranking system.

The reason why I am telling you this because not only do I see myself as a dirty player, I am already seeing it happening to other people. I am talking about regulars who would ztele away, reconnect, then type rank shortly after. Those people I have witnessed were quite good players but should not have used dirty tricks.

Something that I regret doing now is to exclude myself from the rest of the population so I can build a good barricade for myself and myself only just to be selfish and take as many kills as possible. The worst part is when friends ask me where I'm going to which I don't respond because I know they will drag me down. And this is not how the game should be played. I don't like shafting my friends for personal gains, but with the ranking system, I choose to.

Lastly, my favourite map of all time used to be boat escape, simply because getting into the pods were well worth it. Now looking back, I really want to make it my favourite map, but getting zombie kills is hard to come by on escape maps, which is why I barely play them now; for the fear of my ranks being dropped.

I know doing something like removing the ranking system is going to be hard to do, but I strongly implore you remove it. In a wider perspective, you may get some pissed off players for removing it but it will settle eventually, but as a friend of the community and to preserve the existing friendship (perhaps more) of what we have now, I ask you to do what you think would be best, after reading our opinions on the topic.

To summarize my point once more: Remove the ranking system to preserve the good conduct of well deserved good players.

P.S. I thank anyone who have read my excessively long message in its entirety. I just have to let it out before my interest in this server begins to fade.

P.S.S. I just want to inform everyone that I have stopped with the ztele and reconnecting now, which was why I posted this.

Jeimuzu
03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't like the banning for a few minutes idea if they reconnect or disconnect. It would kind of be pointless. For example, people have to rejoin the server to get new sprays to show.

As for what Hobo has said, I agree with him 100%.

ZERO
03-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I should also add that, being turned into a zombie does not hurt your score.... your rank is impacted more by getting killed as a zombie... When you turn other players into a zombie you get points.... I would except that a good player can tag two humans for every 1 zombie they could kill. Note how the balancing is set to just about that.... I would also add that the ranks are not KDR based, also you get points when your team wins.

As for people typing in rank all the time, what fools! It only updates every 60min rofl! It is not real time

I think part of the problem is that people do not understand how it is ranking....

Also the ranks have been there since the server was made, the only thing I have changed is the ability to check from ingame and made it so you get more points when you make a kill with something other than the para, to encourage people to try different guns.

If you all really wanted to get competitive why not aim for getting the most awards. Awards are given out weekly to the best players in different areas.

Another idea I just had, I think this will fix the problem right up lol. The issue here is that players do not feel that it is rewarding enough to be a zombie. Therefore I shall adjust the rankings to better reward zombies without punishing humans, how you may ask. Well bonus points can be used to increase what one player gains without increasing the damage done to the humans score. Here is what I can do:
1) I can make it so + and - bonus points are given if your team wins

a) If the humans win every human player gets 2 bonus points and every zombie loses 2

b) If the zombies win every zombie gets 3 points and every human loses 1
2) If players turn a human into a zombie they gain a bonus point.

a) By giving players a bonus point just for tagging another player they can increase there score more that they would otherwise be able to without increasing the negitive impact on the other players score

Envy
03-17-2009, 12:25 AM
If you are THAT worried about being a great player and having a good rank... shouldn't you just play pub?

I'm a GG player, I like my rank, BUT I dont get super upset and play like an ass to better it. thats just stupid.

My 2cents.

Jeimuzu
03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm not worried about being a noticed great player, or I wouldn't have suggested removing the ranking system. I'm already in first place with double the score of second. The point of this though is to keep players from worrying too much about rank and start actually enjoying the server instead of getting all annoyed when stupid stuff happens because of a newer player or a barricade breaker. Sometimes its fun to just run around the map with a couple friends not knowing what might happen, being in a total scenario of discomfort and unknowingly about to be..*cough* Anyway, with rank, people just started to have less fun.

And Zero, I don't really see much wrong with the ranking system. Though if you wanted to keep people from zteleing (or whatever else to avoid being tagged) then I would have to agree that making it so that you don't lose score when dying by a zombie would be a good idea. As for the bonus points, not such a great idea when it impacts score.

inthebutt
03-17-2009, 02:10 AM
hahaha envy this is about the ZM server lol not the GG server. you guys are on a whole different planet than we are. We aren't talking about getting rid of the rank on the GG server.

okay so this is my 2 cents on this whole deal. I do agree with anex that disconnecting and reconnecting to avoid being tag is against the rules. like I tell everyone who plays regularly on the ZM server I won't ban unless its absolutly needed, so far only 2 people have been banned by me. but when I ban I ban for the full 7 days. I rather keep you ingame and torture you there by freezing, blinding, drugging and slapping. banning someone doesn't really teach anyone a lesson. so you got banned they'll just find another server to play on until this ban is up.

as for removing the ranks I think zero should make it harder to rank up. I like how the factor of which weapon you use affects the amount of points you get. I think the idea of gaining points should really be harder to obtain. the awards are really what everyone should be playing for cause ranks can change but awards are always there. zombies should get more points than humans.

another point I've been really looking forward to changing is, WE NEED MORE WOMEN ON THE ZM SERVER!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously I like the usual bunch of guys I play with but its way to much of a sauseage-fest on here lol. the only girl that I actually know is a girl, is IMGONNAGETCHA. stop banning her and muting her she doesn't break any rules but when she stands up for them she gets punished. I'm gonna stick up for her cause she is the only girl as of now but as soon as more girls start coming on sorry IMGONNAGETCHA I gotta move on lol. I wonder if project-s got my message????

that is all time to finish this beer and go to bed.

TheLittlestHobo
03-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Perhaps what may work is to remove the rank and top10 commands when in game. In my opinion, it is starting to get too annoying the amount of people just typing that to compare what they have then...and what they have 5 minutes later...which is the same bloody thing.

We should encourage people to utilize the website instead then. I'm quite trying hard to not worry about my ranks anymore so I wouldn't attempt to play dirty over it. At least what you could do is not make it so easily convenient by removing those two commands.

XxMastagunzxX
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
oh don't worry about koolayed he is getting a 7 day ban from me. as far as other people doing, anyone I catch will get a 7 day ban as well, no matter who they are.

7 days is a long time. I think we should keep the ranking system but modify it so that when somebody else types rank you can not see their rank. You can only see your rank.

inthebutt
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
oh a 7 day ban for koolayed isn't enough, he'll just touch himself for 7 days to pass the time. plus I'm thinking about just torturing him ingame. as far as the rank idea goes, I'm sticking with mine. make the rank harder to earn while your human but slightly easier to earn when your a zombie. oh and another note, the server is called ZOMBIE-MOD people, not LETS SEE HOW HIGH MY RANK CAN BE, if your playing on this server than you should expect to be a zombie. that's why there are like 6 different classes of zombies all with different abilitiys to fit any need. just type in !zombie to change your class for the next round cause we all know humans like to go the same spot and cade up the same place. if you know the map is gonna be changed to an escape map, change your class from the deformed to the XP or speed. this isn't rocket science people.

as for my stand on the 7 day ban, I'm sticking to it. its my WMD, used as a last resort.

TheLittlestHobo
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
If the rankings are going to stay, which I highly believe so at this point, I need a clear explanation how the whole scoring works. This is because my skill score would skyrocket up or down during a map I spectate on or join for a brief moment despite not playing the map in its entirety. In other words, my skill changes when I don't physically play on some maps. Also, there are other times where I did fairly well on a particular map (e.g. 55/3) and my skill would go down.

I don't understand how the whole skill score works prior to the weapon weighting.

Fish
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Why dont we just rid of all of the IBIS rankings?? Hey, why see how well you stack compared to others??

Im sorry hobo. I dont mean to throw myself at you, but it is annoying almost tagging you and you leave. I really have thought about banning you for that. Ranks are there to judge yourself against others. Not to be a bitch so you stay number 1. If you really are that good, you would be number 1.

Jeimuzu
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
If you need any any ideas on how to torment Koolayed let me know. Soon I'll be an admin hopefully, then I can join you in helping to tame/torment Koolayed. And when you do ban him for 7 days then I'm going to personally thank you.

Anyway, whether the ranking system can be seen in game or not, it was probably wrong of me to ask Zero to activate the rank command, even though it helped me be more lazy. :whistle: So far it has had both a negative and positive impact on the server, but more negative unfortunately. But I will stand by the idea of being tagged by a zombie not effecting your score, I would then almost guarantee that once players learned this, they would stop zteleing/disconnecting/changing teams.

P.S. Zero check the admins that still have to be activated. Hopefully this time the right steam ID is in there for me.

ZERO
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
That is because all the skill and points are relative. So when ever any individuals rank or skill changes it effects the rank and skill of all other players.

ZERO
03-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Another idea I have had is to develop a mod in game that will fire an event if a player completes a special accomplishment this trigger can be picked up by the stats and bonus points could be awarded to the player. This could cause players to focus on special achievements as a way to improve score and thus will switch up game play a bit more. Examples include:
Turn 30 players into a zombie in 10min
Kill 100 zombies in one map
Stay alive as a human for 5 rounds
ect ect...

Jeimuzu
03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Basically achievements?

TheLittlestHobo
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Why dont we just rid of all of the IBIS rankings?? Hey, why see how well you stack compared to others??

Im sorry hobo. I dont mean to throw myself at you, but it is annoying almost tagging you and you leave. I really have thought about banning you for that. Ranks are there to judge yourself against others. Not to be a bitch so you stay number 1. If you really are that good, you would be number 1.

Fish, you have every right to feel this way and I was surprised I wasn't banned for that. Again, after putting much thought on my stance in this, I have seen how good players can be dirty players with the ranking system. I can assure you that it will not happen to you ever again and I am deeply sorry for it. Instead of having the ranking system, why not keep the achievements and perhaps make more achievements.

Or as mentioned before, remove the easily accessible "rank" and "top10" at the very least.

Jeimuzu
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Agreed.

anex
03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Cool, so kind of mimicking the xbox live achievement thing. I like that. I think a lot of us are starting to get kind of bored. Well at least I am. Achievements would very much revitalize my interest in Zm :D

silent
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I really think humans should have a delay on !ztele. I understand that people get stuck or want to leave a cade and it is useful so i think if you write !ztele you should have to wait a few seconds for it to actually teleport you. This would stop the constant !zteleing from zombies since they would have to wait.

TheLittlestHobo
03-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I really think humans should have a delay on !ztele. I understand that people get stuck or want to leave a cade and it is useful so i think if you write !ztele you should have to wait a few seconds for it to actually teleport you. This would stop the constant !zteleing from zombies since they would have to wait.

At the same time, when you are a human you can get stuck in a barricade and to prevent shooting their cade, you have to ztele. That could waste precious time if a zombie is nearby.

Leave the ztele as it is.

silent
03-17-2009, 10:32 PM
At the same time, when you are a human you can get stuck in a barricade and to prevent shooting their cade, you have to ztele. That could waste precious time if a zombie is nearby.

Leave the ztele as it is.

Ya i was thinking about that for a while. I figured that if you were only a little bit stuck that !zstuck would fix the problem, also that if the time is only 5 seconds it might not be that large of an issue. This has been an issue for as long as i played on the server i love how the rank point system is working out atm but i would love to see a better idea on the !ztele system. Maybe an object detection script to see if you have any part inside another object, but i am guessing that would be to difficult and resource straining.

inthebutt
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
I like the idea of achievements, I'm used to those on the XBOX 360. :assault:

Koolayed
03-21-2009, 06:25 PM
i say just get rid of the ranking system its been another problem with other ppl and leave it on the web stats where less people make a big deal out of it of course ppl r gona be influenced to bind spectate or Ztele (me) [and yes wich ive got punishment for] but i do liek to add is add a few more classes to make the game intresting (might i add change infected stats a bit diffrently : P)

demonater10
03-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Since i'm rated #1 on both gg and zm, the ranking system does not really reward me anymore.

TheLittlestHobo
03-23-2009, 01:45 PM
In addition to that, it's a little annoying when the whole skill system is pretty faulty in my opinion. As I requested before to have the skill system explained, I would really like to know how a score of 83/3 would decrease my overall skill to about 20 points....

I mean it's getting a little frustrating now.

Mallissin
05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
P.S.S. I just want to inform everyone that I have stopped with the ztele and reconnecting now, which was why I posted this.

Yah, now you just go Spec to avoid being tagged. Three times last night, one from me.

In addition to that, it's a little annoying when the whole skill system is pretty faulty in my opinion. As I requested before to have the skill system explained, I would really like to know how a score of 83/3 would decrease my overall skill to about 20 points....

I mean it's getting a little frustrating now.

It's actually pretty simple, it depends on who kills you and who you kill. You kill a guy with 600 points, you get 6. You die to a guy with 600 points and you have 1200, they get 12 from you (not the actual equation, just an example). Which means, even if you have a KD of 2+, if you die at the hands of newbies too much, you'll lose rank anyway.

This nudges people to attack others around their own rank and not pick on newbies.

So, take a peak at the stats page, memorize 10-15 names around your rank and make sure to attack those guys if you see them. Not only will you lose less points dying to them, you'll gain more points in the long run.

weeman2412
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
its just a game ... don't even know why people care about ranks so much.. cuz one day zero can just press his giant red button.. then all of your ranks will go boom :)

TheLittlestHobo
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Well just to defend myself, the only time I go spec is to screw the other people in my spot - which you should be happy that you got 2 people in there. I was merely trying to set up the cade until the two decided it would be halarious to fuck up the cade slightly by impeding my setup by shooting the vending machines down when I had it set up. Surely, once is tolerable but after the 3rd time, I wouldn't imagine anyone having the patience at that point to continue setting up with these fools. Rather having them try to take you on, I figured it would be easier if I help them destroy the cade, thus allowing you 2 easy kills.

Hopefully, you can understand the frustration - if you're a decent cader. Otherwise, I continue to abide by the rules.

Kill-matic Retard
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
If you get caught in a cade with morons thats just fate. If you don't want any random chance in your games I suggest Lincoln Logs alone in your bedroom.

Not to name names but the dropping to spectate thing is mostly perpetrated not by randoms but by the best and 'brightest' of ZM regulars and ADMINS. After all, its only the top ranked people who even know its a benefit to them and bother to bind a key for it.

The top offenders have all posted in this thread at some point claiming total agreement at how it is a crock of shit and just as bad as !ztele (its far worse though as !ztele is always death) and yet they continue their statwhoreing ways as of right now.

More than cadebreakers, more than mic spammers, more than any other low down cheap shit in this game its the drop to spec to keep a rank up (and lose that extra gun in the cade helping to insure doom for the honest players...thanks for that) that takes all the jam out of my donut on this stupid game.

When I have tards in my cade I do the best I can to verbally abuse them, hold out in spite of them, say 'were fucked' then be fucked and go play as a zombie etc. Nobody ever learned anything by not getting yelled at so I make a point of doing a lot of that. But what I won't do is jump ship with the vagina parachute to spectate so as to keep a rank up. Big shit, Ill only be top 50-90...last I checked I don't get payed by my rank so I don't care but its just the 'top' players being selfish shits that drives me nuts.

Take your fate and luck of the draw, learn to win with unfavorable situations. For all my flaws, and I have shit-tons of them at least I take a zombie knife in my ass like a man and then do my job.

You all know who you are, you thats right YOU. Now stop being a pansy and just accept that you will not always get the bombproof cade populated solely by other top 10 ranked players and deal with that as it comes, play fair. :assault:

Jeimuzu
06-12-2009, 12:59 AM
You have any idea how annoying it is to go and build a cade then have some random guy outside walk up, throw a gernade that totally decimates your barricade then zombies kill him and he comes in and kills you?

It isn't fair. It happened to me a lot late at night when I didn't have admin and no other admins were on. Though those brightest and 'best' players of zm that your talking about that do it, never do it to get away from zombies, just cade breakers, otherwise they know they'd be in trouble. That includes me.

Though I'll admit, there's a few times I'll be lenient like when I first wake up in the morning and its the last round of a crappy escape map, and there's only like 10 people on, all of which know each other. Most will just be screwing around and jump off to suicide into an electric fence or something and just join spec, when a zombie could have caught up and killed him in about 15 seconds. It might be against the rules, but they're just having fun. Even the zombies were typing "lol' that morning.

Normally they wouldn't even be playing the map, they're just trying to pass the time, waiting for the next one.