PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to make shitty maps with unlimited skybox playable.

Passarelli
03-15-2014, 03:31 AM
If you are unsure as to which way of fixing this issue, you may want to hold off on voting until more opinions are posted as you can not change your vote.

Future Aztec and dustanesi are the the most well known example of this. Humans, beast, Vagabonds, Santa, Styder, dragonfly, magician when bird procs, and even Archmage are all absurdly dumb on these kinds of maps and they are always, always 1 sided. Since they are almost all DE maps, Ts always win. If you notice, every race I listed has something in common. They all have easy access to the rooftops because there is no skybox. Hell hunter is iffy, since they usually have access to the skybox. If anything, they would be less powerful then on say, dust2 because they need to move in specific ways to not fall off or through the buildings.

If we wanted to keep these maps viable there are two easy way to keep them in the rotation.

I don't like the first method, which is simply not allowing these races to be played on these maps.

The second method I rather like. Simply disable their specific abilities that make them stupid on these maps. Disable teleport for human, beast, and bond. Disable flying for stryder, dragonfly, archmage, and bird (bird would need a rework to where it can shoot and knife while running).

This way people that want to continue leveling these races can do so, and those who play them all the time would likely chose a different race. They are definitely less powerful, but it would enable these maps to be viable and increase the asymmetry that makes WCS great.

I'd like to get a nice discussion going on this, and if either is a change most of the community agrees with, we can start working on a list of maps that are currently dumb because of these races.

SCRIBBLE
03-15-2014, 01:02 PM
I do not agree with any of the options to change and voted that it needs to remain unchanged. I would much rather see new race development to help the balance as opposed to nerfing current races. Just as quick as a t can plant so can a ct defuse. Teamwork and strategy = the solution to 99% of the problems people have with wcs.

What
03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Those solutions are all terrible. Almost all maps without a skybox are just reskinned versions of normal maps or regular maps with slight modifications. Limiting races or abilities on a map by map basis is incredibly stupid.

Masskid
03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Has anyone tried to not be an asshole on the maps?? It usually seems like the best way to fix everything...

Locust
03-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Has anyone tried to not be an asshole on the maps?? It usually seems like the best way to fix everything...

All it takes is one. Then everyone is back at it.

Masskid
03-15-2014, 09:15 PM
I mean it would fix so many things... Team stacking, Race whoring, Map domination, Item combos, etc.

Old Bastard
03-15-2014, 10:23 PM
I do not agree with any of the options to change and voted that it needs to remain unchanged. I would much rather see new race development to help the balance as opposed to nerfing current races. Just as quick as a t can plant so can a ct defuse. Teamwork and strategy = the solution to 99% of the problems people have with wcs.

I agree with Scribble 100%. Counter races with new ones, especially for all those people who are max lvl on everything. It keeps them busy as well as adds to the fun. Teamwork is key in every server of IBIS, although asking for teamwork from most people who play IBIS is like asking monkeys to guard a banana patch, it won't happen. However there are a lot of people who do work as a team. Just like GG FFA, people work as a team whether they realize it or not. A guy gets on nade, most will try to knife him/her. Moral of the story is, Teamwork gets shit done.

Passarelli
03-16-2014, 02:21 AM
What, this also would enable more maps to be added to the server by simply disabling a few skills. I know of a dozen or so very nice maps that would be great here with either of the changes. If people wouldn't have trolled goku into leaving, we would have a decent person to simply add a functional skybox to these maps which would fix the issue. More variety would be a wonderful thing for the server.

*EDIT: By the way, I find it hilarious you voted to keep things the same while you have previously said you want to see these maps removed. I put that option there just for you Q.Q*

Scribble, the point of this isn't nerfing races, it is to enable more maps to be functionally playable. Try playing CT on future aztec against a santa or vaga on T. You will lose 95% of the time.

You have to keep in mind how long the design and development to create a new race really is, let alone the testing and debugging phase. This change would be much, much faster to allow greater variance of play. I for one would love to see more viable maps here. Honestly, it isn't even that much of a nerf. How many people play vaga or santa (other then when leveling) on office?

Masskid, good luck with that one.

Old Bastard, I don't know if you realize the extent of the issue (especially since I pulled up your wcs stats and you haven't even played on dustanesi and your very limited experience on future aztec). Teamwork is great, but I don't care how good you are, against a santa or bond on these maps and you are going to lose. Every time. You might win the first round or two playing night elf or athena (if they don't rush your spawn and kill you within 5 seconds), but as soon as they buy a lace it is good game.

What
03-16-2014, 03:00 PM
I made a shoutout for help from someone who isn't a piece of shit like "he who should not be named because his map ideas are all fucking garbage"

Passarelli
03-17-2014, 01:09 AM
Hahaha, <3 What.

Fixing the maps themselves is always the best option. Hopefully he does good work and then I can have him take a look at a couple other good maps where the skybox is the major issue.