PDA

View Full Version : Space

Carmichal
03-20-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't understand why we need religion anymore. Religion was only ever a tool to try to explain why shit happens that we didn't have the tools for. Remember we only think of the
greek gods of old as myth now so I really only give modern day religions a few thousand years at most before something else takes root. Just look how amazing and complex the universe is, idk how anyone can look at me with a straight face and say god is real when there's space! The fact that we are just the consequence of a gazillion little coincidences is amazing! Not depressing! You are so lucky to be alive! Space is so cool and even if I never understand it all in my life I have so much room to just wonder and imagine and be amazed! Do you get it now!?

Also space is pretty awesome. If you don't think that regardless if you are religious or not you're retarded as shit!

Gaz
03-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Space. the final frontier!

acolyte_to_jippity
03-21-2014, 09:08 AM
i'm more comfortable believeing in a higher power who put all those little co-incidences into place. because it means my life has a meaning, and is not just some fluke in the natural order. a fluke means we shouldn't be alive, and therefore dying out is the best thing we can do for reality. a higher power means that we're meant to be alive.

Note that i don't really like the organization of religion. I believe religion and one's relationship with the divine to be intensely personal. there is no church which conforms to my own belief structure, nor would i want there to be. my beliefs are my own.

praise Eris.

Sin
03-21-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm a Western Baptist.

Rapedollar$
03-21-2014, 11:26 AM
im happy that guy died

kionay
03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
is this what we're going to do today?

we're going to have a religious debate in an ibis thread?

it hasn't started but this subject matter, though innocent, is just begging for someone to be offended :(

Steamer
03-21-2014, 12:07 PM

acolyte_to_jippity
03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
is this what we're going to do today?

we're going to have a religious debate in an ibis thread?

it hasn't started but this subject matter, though innocent, is just begging for someone to be offended :(

who is debating? lol.

so far, michelle asked a good question, and there has been one or two decent responses, a random-ass jpg, rape being glad phelps dies, and Sin...i don't know if he was trying to say. while its possible he was just saying he is a western baptist, i doubt he'd say that. mostly because its not trollish enough. he probably was trying to say westboro.

kionay
03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
who is debating? lol.

so far, michelle asked a good question, and there has been one or two decent responses, a random-ass jpg, rape being glad phelps dies, and Sin...i don't know if he was trying to say. while its possible he was just saying he is a western baptist, i doubt he'd say that. mostly because its not trollish enough. he probably was trying to say westboro.

no no, everything is perfect as it is, so far we're in the clear

but the subject matter of religion teeters constantly on the brink of one person being offended, then people being offended at them being offended, it perpetuates and we have a bunch of people crying in a thread

i was just pointing out the ease of which it is for this subject matter to pollute a thread :-/

Carmichal
03-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Guys I just thought everyone should know how amazing space is.

brett friggin favre
03-21-2014, 02:05 PM
the problem isn't belief in religion. anyone can believe what they want, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else in any way. what is depressing though is willful ignorance. someone who says the earth is 6000 years old for example...i'm actually ok if you believe that. you could simply not have had the contrary evidence presented to you in an understandable way, you may not be able to comprehend contrary evidence...stupidity is forgivable. unfortunate, but forgivable. however if you reject any and all evidence against that assertion simply because it's not what you believe, and anything that's not what you believe is the work of an evil demon, that's depressing as fuck.

for example, if i explain evolution to someone and they just don't understand how it works, they can believe whatever they want about it. i can't help it if they can't understand. but if i explain evolution and they have full knowledge of how it works and all the evidence supporting it, but reject it solely because it's not what they believe...that's willful ignorance and arrogance, and that's much less forgivable than an inability to comprehend.

Locust
03-21-2014, 02:07 PM
i'm more comfortable believeing in a higher power who put all those little co-incidences into place. because it means my life has a meaning, and is not just some fluke in the natural order. a fluke means we shouldn't be alive, and therefore dying out is the best thing we can do for reality. a higher power means that we're meant to be alive.

Note that i don't really like the organization of religion. I believe religion and one's relationship with the divine to be intensely personal. there is no church which conforms to my own belief structure, nor would i want there to be. my beliefs are my own.

praise Eris.

I don't understand how you make the leap from it's a coincidence that we're alive to the best thing that we can do is die out.

maynard
03-21-2014, 02:12 PM

praise Eris.

I love it when Aco bascially types my posts for me

acolyte_to_jippity
03-21-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't understand how you make the leap from it's a coincidence that we're alive to the best thing that we can do is die out.

reality has a certain set of rules. guidelines to which the natural order must, in the end, adhere to. flukes go completely against that order. our existence deviates from the standard model of reality. we shouldn't exist. we should never have existed. the fact that we came into being by coincidence is terrifying because that means we're fighting agaisnt the structured order of reality, and its rules. i didn't say the best thing for us as a people is to die out, but rather the best thing for reality is for us to die out. without intelligent life, there is nothing to fuck with the rules, nothign to push boundaries, nothing to disturb the peace. it would rest at a probabilitaristic/statistically neutral point. a healthy point.

ironically enough, the divine I personally believe in primarilly IS reality. or at least the disorder and chaos extant within the system. Eris is a glorious thing to know. because each and every religion throughout the history of earth is an attempt to put order ot the disorcer. to put a structure to chaos. which, when one examines it, is the same as disorder/chaos. all religions are facets of Eris, because they each attempt to interpret and structure the chaos of life.

I love it when Aco bascially types my posts for me

:tips hat: i try my best.

brett friggin favre
03-21-2014, 03:10 PM
one plus one equals three.

well...i mean...if you really wanna believe that...

acolyte_to_jippity
03-21-2014, 03:49 PM
well...i mean...if you really wanna believe that...

yeah, i had somewhere i was taking that line of thought, but it kinda disappeared in the mix, lol. something along the lines of "the rules no longer are valid when a fluke continues to exist" but meh. thanks for pointing it out.

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-21-2014, 11:15 PM
reality has a certain set of rules. guidelines to which the natural order must, in the end, adhere to. flukes go completely against that order. our existence deviates from the standard model of reality. we shouldn't exist. we should never have existed. the fact that we came into being by coincidence is terrifying because that means we're fighting agaisnt the structured order of reality, and its rules. i didn't say the best thing for us as a people is to die out, but rather the best thing for reality is for us to die out. without intelligent life, there is nothing to fuck with the rules, nothign to push boundaries, nothing to disturb the peace. it would rest at a probabilitaristic/statistically neutral point. a healthy point.

ironically enough, the divine I personally believe in primarilly IS reality. or at least the disorder and chaos extant within the system. Eris is a glorious thing to know. because each and every religion throughout the history of earth is an attempt to put order ot the disorcer. to put a structure to chaos. which, when one examines it, is the same as disorder/chaos. all religions are facets of Eris, because they each attempt to interpret and structure the chaos of life.

:tips hat: i try my best.

Source me where it says humans should not exist. You sound like a rambling mad man and per your theory, nothing should exist if god isn't real.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Source me where it says humans should not exist. You sound like a rambling mad man and per your theory, nothing should exist if god isn't real.

what are the odds that humanity would begin, for lack of a better word. what are the odds that conditions were so perfectly setup, so perfectly put in place for a fraction of a second so as to create life. statistically, we shouldn't exist. the chances that the system that is the universe would arrange itself in the absolute perfect form so as to allow us to begin our existence is so incredibly small that by any common logic we shouldn't exist. we are an aberration, an imprefection on the skin of reality.

assuming, of course, the system wasn't arranged in just that way intentionally.

:shrug: keep in mind that while I do believe we are flukes of existence, I also believe we exist for a reason.

brett friggin favre
03-22-2014, 01:21 AM
what are the odds that humanity would begin, for lack of a better word. what are the odds that conditions were so perfectly setup, so perfectly put in place for a fraction of a second so as to create life. statistically, we shouldn't exist. the chances that the system that is the universe would arrange itself in the absolute perfect form so as to allow us to begin our existence is so incredibly small that by any common logic we shouldn't exist. we are an aberration, an imprefection on the skin of reality.

assuming, of course, the system wasn't arranged in just that way intentionally.

:shrug: keep in mind that while I do believe we are flukes of existence, I also believe we exist for a reason.

actually, statistically speaking, there's a 100% chance that we should exist. hindsight is a beautiful thing.

but the way i see it, it's just a matter of time until evolution produces species capable of becoming "masters of their realm" so to speak. just so happens that we took this form, but it could've been something similar to dolphins, armadillos, or octopi, or some strange combination therein.

Nemesis
03-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Anything that put black people here on purpose is a flawed and cruel entity.

What
03-22-2014, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI6gNR70G7E