PDA

View Full Version : Games for New Players

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 08:03 AM
I was thinking about hosting some small side games for players who are new. Just some simple C9 variations for players who are either new, or want to try the game out.

This means that players like Mikey or Cyber or What will not be allowed to play. It is for new players to make their own mistakes and learn the process before getting thrown up to the big leagues.

It will also get rid of the "lynch the new guy" we seem to be getting in the bigger games.

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

Current Players:
1. Phil
2. Minjae
3. Assassin
4. Pass
5. Trigger Unhappy
6. TheFallen
7. Wolf

What
07-14-2014, 08:57 AM
I think mikey should have to play.

phil.™
07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm gameeeeeeeeeeee

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
I just don't want games to turn into follow the pros. This will give the sticky new people a level playing field to fuck up on and learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Phil, get minjae too, he's not bad and will learn.

What
07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Follow the pros and mikey is not coherent.

- - - Updated - - -

but you may need some vets to fill out a game

phil.™
07-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I just don't want games to turn into follow the pros. This will give the sticky new people a level playing field to fuck up on and learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Phil, get minjae too, he's not bad and will learn.

Roger that. I'm taking a shit right now, I'll inform him about the game when I am back in the office.

DJ_MikeyRevile
07-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Follow the pros and mikey is not coherent.

- - - Updated - - -

but you may need some vets to fill out a game
I dont underatand why you are always butt hurt. You should see a doctor.

win a couple games then talk shit. You have nothing to stand on.

minjae
07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm down =]

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm down =]

nice, is anyone sees horisho or koinay get them in here too.

phil.™
07-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Just sent him the thread link to here.
Should we get irish up in here?

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly stan as well?

Sin
07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Should have at least one player as a "Mentor/Guide". Kind of the way mafiascum does it.

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Could you explain how that works Sin? I don't know that method.

- - - Updated - - -

these games will be open to anyone of beginner experience. I will be the final judge on whether someone qualifies as a beginner or a more advanced player.

So ya Phil, if Irish wants to play feel free.

Sin
07-14-2014, 10:25 AM
In Mafiascum in the newbie section they have one player who acts as a "Mentor/Guide" I forget what they call them specifically, but basically they're someone who knows how to play and understands the "lingo" so-to-speak and they can guide the new players and explain what certain things mean; ie: scumtelling, dumbtelling, townread, lylo, mylo, claiming, cc, etc...

It doesn't mean they can't be mafia though, they're just more required to explain why things are happening WHILE they're happening, rather than just playing the game like everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an example of a "Mentor/Guide" type of post:

Read this, this, and/or this. They will help explain things that I might over look or not think I need to explain. If you have any questions about navigating the main page of the wiki, or anything else that happens in-game, I’d be more than happy to answer them.

Claiming: Do not claim, except in the cases of L-1 or LyLo (if you don't know what these terms mean, where are you going to find them? If you answered "the wiki", you win. What you win is irrelevant). Claiming only serves two purposes: it gives scum more information than they need to have, and it distracts town.

Please note: "Town" is an alignment. By being town-aligned, you can have one of a few roles: Cop, Doctor, Jailkeeper, Bullet Proof, or Civilian (also known as Vanilla Townie - VT - or townie). Saying that you are townie, VT, or civilian means that you are claiming a role, even if not a power role. You don't want to do this, as it can narrow the field on potential legitimate power roles, thus making it easier for the scum to pick them off.

Voting: You should do it. Do not be afraid to vote. Voting can and does create discussion. Even if you think you don't have enough evidence for a vote, feel free to lay out what you do have. More discussion helps town. Less discussion hurts town. If you still don't think you have enough for a vote, lay out your evidence and add a FoS - finger of suspicion, meaning you find the person suspicious but aren't ready to vote.

Please note: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DIE. Remember, you win if your alignment wins, NOT if you survive until the end. Yes, it sucks to get killed, but the goal is to win, not to survive.

Posting: You should do it. You should always do your best to post your thoughts as often as possible because posting generates discussion.

My suggestion: Go for posting at least once a day, if not more. Sometimes games vary in discussion levels, but the easiest way to catch scum is by getting them to talk, and the easiest way to catch those who don’t talk is by posting. The scum are not going to sit around with signs over their heads asking to be caught. You have to ask the hard questions and get them out into the open and make them mess up or say things they shouldn't. And I don't mean ask questions like, "How are you doing today?" Ask people about their motivations for doing things, or why they said things the way they did. Mafia is a game of details, and sometimes you have to be nitpicky.

Wall posts: Theoretically this helps the town because you’re getting you’re ideas out there for the town to see, read, and ultimately assess and analyze their own reads from; however, the more that’s written, the less people want to read, and the more that gets lost in translation.

My suggestion: Preview your posts to make sure only what needs to be said is said. Also, separate ideas by paragraphs, with a couple sentences each. This allows longer posts to be read with ease, and will more likely help others see all the information you/d like to say as opposed to potentially glossing over something that could be really important. Note how I’m formatting this post, though a little paragraphy as it is (also note that I don’t expect everyone to all of a sudden post this way ;) )

Stole that shit from a game I'm currently playing in.

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Oh so they're an actual player? I'd actually like to avoid that since newer people will tend to follow that player regardless, plus I want new players to develop they're own play style, rather than follow someone else.

For things like that I can be much more hands on during this game than a normal mod will be, explaining any definition or situation that is required.

I'm also thinking these games will have little to no flavour text to get everyone into the rhythm of actually engaging in discussion.

Sin
07-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah a little flavor text, with some clues will go a long way though. Like the last game. Flavor text was minimal but there were still clues as to who the characters were and what their roles were that could have been utilized, but instead was overlooked by the "we are greater" crowd.

BladeTwinSwords
07-14-2014, 10:32 AM
If you need 1 experienced player, I'm more than happy to fill in for that.

As for flavor text, most newbie games do not have flavor text. This is to focus more on actual gameplay rather than interpreting text to mean something. Flavor text is more for experienced games.

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Flavour Text will be very minimal. Mainly who died and how they died, which at first won't mean much but the further we go the more and more I can add.

These games will basically be getting our newer players used to talking, as it seems like they stay silent until they're lynched in the big games. We've got to get them used to posting often and learn how to lie.

minjae
07-14-2014, 11:06 AM
We've got to get them used to posting often and learn how to lie.

LOL, but I've never lied before in my life...
Are we going to be taking a prerequisite class for learning how to lie? :icon_mrgreen:

Sin
07-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Fibbing 101

Assassin
07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
I'd be down for this.

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Excellent!

I will make the official sign up thread once I get a msg from Cyber. I'm wondering if he wants me to put this somewhere else so it doesn't get in the way of the big game once that starts.

Look for this to be called "Beginner Game #1 Sign Up"

hoshiro-
07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Hahaha here we go again, im down.

phil.™
07-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Hahaha here we go again, im down.

vote hosh

minjae
07-14-2014, 03:34 PM
vote hosh

Nemesis
07-14-2014, 03:58 PM
With two votes for Hosh, Cyber has been lynched. Go back to Mexico.

Assassin
07-14-2014, 05:20 PM
With two votes for Hosh, Cyber has been lynched. Go back to Mexico.

seems legit

hoshiro-
07-14-2014, 06:47 PM
hahaha game hasnt even started yet and i already have two votes, haters gonna hate, potatos gonna potate </3

Nemesis
07-15-2014, 06:13 AM
So we've got 4 already, 7 would be perfect to start with.

What
07-15-2014, 06:30 AM
If you need people for it im here.

Nemesis
07-15-2014, 08:20 AM
If you need people for it im here.

This is specifically so people like you aren't in the game with beginners.

What
07-15-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm aware of that, but if you need people to actually do this, since at most we may have 7 people classed as new players, im here. All im saying.

Passarelli
07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
I'll play. I was waiting for a thread with a poll so you'd have an easy hard count, but I guess Cyber is too busy masturbating.

Nemesis
07-15-2014, 05:56 PM
With Pass that nets us 5, only 2 more beginners.

Trigger Unhappy
07-15-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm in

CYBER
07-16-2014, 01:44 AM
im rly busy these days.
so just let me know if u need something modded so i can take care of it at night.

feel free to create a sign up thread (this one),
and a game thread of the actual game happening and pm me so that i sticky it and unsticky mickey's game or wtvr.

Don't wry about making that other thread, jsut don't clutter the section, when i'm free-er in the next 2 weeks (doing almost triple shifts now...), i'll go through the threads and merge them with the original sign up thread or close them if done etc...

anywho... just behave, and since u don't want me in the game, that's fine by me. Can't say i'm a pro veteran tho... i almost always get killed asap.... Fucking brett's rubbing off on me, no homo.

- - - Updated - - -

i stickied this thread btw. so u can simply add a poll to it and get ppl signing up here if u want.

minjae
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Uhm, for the poll there's no inbetween. I'm just going to do the first one.

CYBER
07-17-2014, 01:23 AM
so... u or What. Who is ready to mod first now?

I honestly expected the "closed setup tutorial game" of yours to run first, but hey, if what is making a similar "diversion" game, i dont care.
i rly doubt players are active enough or able to handle 2 sets of discussions and information at once tho... not yet, maybe in a couple games.

Nemesis
07-17-2014, 05:01 AM
so... u or What. Who is ready to mod first now?

I honestly expected the "closed setup tutorial game" of yours to run first, but hey, if what is making a similar "diversion" game, i dont care.
i rly doubt players are active enough or able to handle 2 sets of discussions and information at once tho... not yet, maybe in a couple games.

huh? no Cyber, the whole point of this is for those people who aren't comfortable enough to play the big games and end up being useless because they don't know what they're doing.

What
07-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Cyber's not reading any posts, his just reading (barely) the thread titles. I understand what you're doing and I assume you understand what i'm doing.

TheFallen927
07-17-2014, 08:19 AM
I'll play. It looks like it could be fun.

Nemesis
07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
I'll play. It looks like it could be fun.

ok, got you in.

Need one more now.

CYBER
07-17-2014, 05:13 PM
theres always Blackmage, brett, tom, wolfenstinger, etc..

but i'm not sure what level of "newbie" u want...

I'd invite brett in the game... hell this might be the only game he plays withotu being killed off night 0 from now on LAWL

Assassin
07-17-2014, 08:23 PM
theres always Blackmage, brett, tom, wolfenstinger, etc..

but i'm not sure what level of "newbie" u want...

I'd invite brett in the game... hell this might be the only game he plays withotu being killed off night 0 from now on LAWL

Prolly not.

Nemesis
07-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Brett can play if he wants, I only need one more and we can start, any takers?

What
07-18-2014, 10:37 AM

Nemesis
07-18-2014, 10:40 AM

yesh??

What
07-18-2014, 10:41 AM
id refer to my previous posts

Nemesis
07-18-2014, 10:43 AM
id refer to my previous posts

And you to mine.

What
07-18-2014, 10:44 AM
And mine to yours

Nemesis
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
And mine to yours

and you to Cyber.

SCRIBBLE
07-18-2014, 12:30 PM
And cyber to ICE?

Wolfenstinger
07-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Signed up upon request.

Assassin
07-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Vote Wolfen

Nemesis
07-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Ok that's 7!!!! creating game now.

StarsMine
07-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Sure nem, ill join.

Nemesis
07-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Sure nem, ill join.

We've started but I'll let you know the next one.

CYBER
07-18-2014, 08:35 PM
are the sign ups done?

make sure for all mods,when a sign up is finished and no longer accepting players, just let me know to close this shit.
making everything all clean and dandy for ur asses

Assassin
07-25-2014, 11:41 AM
close it. that game is done lol.

SCRIBBLE
07-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Confirmed.

Passarelli
07-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Confirmed.

Made me laugh.