PDA

View Full Version : [ADD] gg_skyscrapers_b1 (My map I just made)

CanadianBill
09-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Map: gg_skyscrapers_b2
Location: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz83-a9qgxnmTWhobzc3VUItV00
Change: N/A
Reason: It's a map I just made today just for Ibis :party: , I was in game and decided I wanted to make a map, I asked server chat for an idea and someone, I forgot who, said "skyscrapers" so tada.

*EDIT: Updated to B2, see post #7 (http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/showthread.php/12673-ADD-gg_skyscrapers_b1-(My-map-I-just-made)?p=188561#post188561)

euronews
09-13-2014, 08:15 AM
looks really good, good job:wtg:

just couple things i would suggest, add a different skybox, maybe 3d and map looks a little flat, just need to add some props and miscealleanous things around. also i would say add a ladder to the small building roofs, and a boost to each other from each side.

but overall great job 8.5/10. if you want i can upload it to gamebanana for you.

CanadianBill
09-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Thank you :)
Um I was holding off uploading it places first, it's _b1, still beta. That way I could tweak it for any gameplay issues or similar. And yeah I haven't added the skybox yet

Oh, also, if you noticed: if you fall down off the towers, you get teleported to the middle in the sky and fall to your death in front of everyone and a sound plays server wide (just a bot voice line)
But this is the fun part: there's a small chance (ranging from 25% to 5%, random) that you get teleported to a small room where you're saved and you get to choose to be teleported to the T or CT spawn (don't worry, you can't delay the game by camping in the room. There's a visible timer where after ten seconds it kills you in the room)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I don't know if you figured it out, but on the top floors of the big non spawn buildings, you can shoot the little control panel thing to open the elevator, a little incentive to going across the more dangerous uncovered bridges :)

euronews
09-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah, it's great gameplay wise, I decompiled that map and saw those rooms and checked optimization.. But it's a great map for a days worth of mapping.

RofLoLmao
09-13-2014, 03:03 PM
looks really good, good job:wtg:

just couple things i would suggest, add a different skybox, maybe 3d and map looks a little flat, just need to add some props and miscealleanous things around. also i would say add a ladder to the small building roofs, and a boost to each other from each side.

but overall great job 8.5/10. if you want i can upload it to gamebanana for you.
Overall your maps are a 0/10 and you give map advice, but that's none of my business tho.

Xerenix
09-13-2014, 03:19 PM
5/10.

Found the basic map very interesting however it needs a couple of improvements before i give it a 10.

1. The tunnel paths to each side need windows. 2-3 would do to make it a bit interesting for both those outside and inside.

2. Either open or remove the areas outside behind the towers since having it there but unaccessible is just a waste and annoying.

3. Make it possible to jump up on both rails in the open paths between the towers.

4. The bottom could need a different look as having that grid texture looks very bad.

Everything else is very good, doesn't need a new skybox, props or anything.

CanadianBill
09-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Thank you for the criticism, I'm tweaking it right now.

in regards to the points individually:
1) I was refraining adding windows due to people camping from spawn AWPing them across the walkway, I think I have a middle ground solution
2) Yeah, I kinda wanted to keep the square tower aesthetic but you're right, gameplay takes priority
3) Fixed with the last point. It was to prevent people from going on the empty side of the tower
4) Changed it

CanadianBill
09-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Updated map to B2.

Changes:
-Added lightmap optimization (reduced file size ~25%)
-Fixed two nodraw faces being visible
-Added windows along covered hallways and windows (replicating the spawn tower's top floor) to the bottom floor
-Removed unreachable path wrapping around building (added crates in the small extra area left behind)
-Made chances of being saved after falling maximum random time less from 2 minutes to 64 seconds (16 being minimum random time)
-Changed ground level floor texture
-Added detail to both spawn towers (wrapping + cap) and two tall towers (cap)

Xerenix
09-14-2014, 05:36 AM
Seems the ground level texture change didn't work but the map is great. :wtg:

Can't wait to see it on the server.

CYBER
09-16-2014, 05:49 AM
ok so i just spent a gd 15 minutes doing the impossible to find a way up to the top of the towers, seeing as when i fell down, the teleportation took me higher than the max level accessible.

also, the elevator on the inside, im guessing it's a prop? tried opening it with E, shooting it ... nothing happened...
It's very misleading where ppl ASSUME that smthn is there to be used.. u know?
perhaps if u made the elevator like a barricaded wooden smthn, that u can shoot through and then use the ladder (which is there.. but unusable...) to access the second floor from the inside without going up?

Windows that xerenix suggested were a gd idea xerenix, i just wish they were transparent textures and see through.

Perhaps make it so that the elevator thing i mentioned earlier has access to the VERY VERY VERY top of the sky scraper? i mean the map is called skyscrappers, and to not be to get to the top of it seems like a let down :P

perhaps a ladder with SOME cover every 5 pixes? (much like a tunnel ladder going up on the side with holes), and the elevator on the outside having the same.

I like the feel of a clusterfuck map, i wouldn't personally mind if u change the ENTIRE bottom into a teleportation mesh that basically throws you randomly on the top of one of the skyscrapers, making "jumping ship" a valid escape option and just an outright hilarious map that isn't as confusing as matrix.

Or at least have some SAFE PATCHES on the group like a water pool where u can land in it safely, and tp up, or better yet, be forced to climb alllllll the way up on the side of the tower. making jumping ship a risky option to just jump blindly, but also a viable option, for example to jump out of a nade:D

textures could use some work (there aren't any), and until you texture it up, perhaps u should rename it to
gg_texture_skyscrappers

just so that ppl know what to expect.

The map also feels TOO wide and empty , distance wise, between the towers, seeing as there are only those 2 floors.

other than those little "quirks", the layout is fine, i was hoping for a middle platform suspended in the air connecting the two sides so that the map:
1- doesn't become a camping across the map .
2- allows you to meet in the middle. ( you have to remember that when two ppl accept a knife fight, the knife mode will kick in ,randomly throwing the 2 ppl.. usually in the middle of the map... so with so little walking paths... i'm affraid that i'd get thrown all the way down each time... u dig?)

Those comments aside, i like the layout, it could be fine, need to test it in action.

Xerenix
09-16-2014, 07:32 AM
You really can't figure out the elevators Cyber?

Took me 15 seconds to figure out that you need to shoot the box next to it.

I don't want the windows changed as having it like now brings certain danger to shooting open the windows as you don't know which window has a enemy behind it and you'll waste bullets shooting open all of them.

Having the bottom filled with shallow water sounds nice instead of death and it will make it fun jumping off trying to land on an enemy to knife him. Ladders up would be nice too.

CYBER
09-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I agree to your last part but I DEFINITELY shot the box next to it with a full USP like 100 times it wouldn't open...

I'll post a demo of it on the updated map if it stays non functional for me.. But shooting that box did nothing... Nor was shoot G the lock, or pressing E on the box or pressing E on the lock.

And yes, if there was enough water level at the bottom to land from a full velocity jump into it, and then ladders (or better yet RAMPS going from bottom to top, circling the towers? That would be nice.

Oh God certain, i can imagine the ninja knives already lol

ZERO
09-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Sorry for how long this took, adding now! :wtg: