PDA

View Full Version : Remove the <ibis.a> Mandatory Tag Rule

Evil
01-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Wasn't the main reason to install the Group Colors plugin into the ZM Server to remove the useless <ibis.a> tag that admins must have on their in order to use commands and whatnot? Many servers don't force you to have the clan tag on when using admin commands, so why are we still behind the times? This rule should of been taken down when ZERO installed the plugin to give admins their exclusive color. GFL has this plugin and none of the admins aren't forced to have a [GFL] tag to use their powers. Why? Because that wouldn't make sense and it's unnecessary.

Because of this plugin, people would differentiate between normal users, admins, clan, and the owner of the whole clan/server(s). So why are admins still forced to to have the <ibis.a> tag on when they want to use their powers. It's counter-productive in all honesty.

RofLoLmao
01-15-2015, 10:24 PM
People like me are hit with abuse when I clearly helped ibis out by catching a rule breaker all because of a tag. Anyway, this post and idea will get shut down, what else is new?

StarsMine
01-15-2015, 10:36 PM
ibis.a makes everything more clear, Just... I dont see why the tag is so hard to use.
So your chat tells people your admin, so what? people will only know your an admin if you use the type chat. Verbal or silent have no ques.

Evil
01-15-2015, 10:43 PM
If an admin is to warn a player, they'd have to type or speak. So the rule breaker should know they're admin based on their in-game tag/color. If they don't believe the admin isn't truly an admin just because they're speaking, they can easily type. That simple.

iNoToRiOuS
01-15-2015, 10:52 PM
Every regulation associated with the administrative tag will have to be dismissed. Whether it is easily done or there may be changes that need to be done, is it really worth the time and effort? Why not just use the tag?
+1 StarsMine

sup
01-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Dump the tag rule and give us a choice to use a regular (non-admin) skin too. I'm sick of looking at the stupid black Umbrella Corp. skin.

$Money$
01-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Zero, Please stop playing NS2. Come on here and change the rule, I just don't know what i'm gonna do. Its just so hard to type out 5 letters and a period. :banghead:
Please, I beg you. I don't know if I can make it through the night with this type of requirement. :bs:

Seriously, If you can change maps, kick ppl, ban ppl, or get on Sourcebans to kick admins to get seniority then I don't think its that hard just to put in ibis.a at the end of your name.
I thought I was lazy!:headache:

CYBER
01-15-2015, 11:47 PM
No from me. Here's a fucking wall why.

1- The ibis.a tag lets people know that you are currently ACTIVE as an admin.

I know many admins who have a paid subscription (and thus talk in red) but they just want to enjoy a friendly game or playing a quickie before heading to work without having to deal with the server at the time, and they basically chose to ignore their admin privileges in favor of a friendly game by removing their tag at the time.

that's one other usage for the ibis.a tag : Presenting yourself as an ACTIVE admin willing to handle server issues if they arise. unlike an admin currently ehm... off duty.

2- Not all admins talk in game by chat, and the last thing we want is having some admin raise hell over the fact that he was in the game with seniority and the other admin changed the map without noticing that said senior player is actually an admin in the server at the time... last thing we want is someone forced to use sm_who each time they think they are the only admin in the server.
And then u introduce the "nah man, i dont want senior , im just here playing as a regular" from (1) , just adding even more blending confusion.

3- With so many players with IBIS tags : IBIS assholes, IBIS regular, IBIS L33t, IBIS WCS, IBIS Zmod, IBIS faggot etc, and the "lack of ibis.a" following actual admins' names in the scoreboard, it just can create confusion for new players who are taught from the first moment they join that ibis.a is admin, <ibis> in name is clan, NOT the group name.

4- This is stretching it a bit, but believe it or not, the ibis.a tag existence has helped catch many hackers before.
Here's 3 reasons why:

When you make all players SELF AWARE that a player with ibis.a tag is an admin, and force it into their subconscious that they take a look at player names for such tag, it actually sometimes backfires on hackers. When hackers decide to look at the players, see NO ibis.a tag, and ASSUME that there's no admin (quiet/sneaky guy chillin in spec like yours truly :smirk: ) they just ASSUME that there's no admin in the game unless they have a hack that shows who the admins in the server are, and what they are doing (which in itself is a perma ban offense). So you can actually use this to your advantange to make hackers slip up. Because if you remove the ibis.a requirement, hackers no longer have the "easy way" to know if there's an admin in the server, and will start having to constantly dig deeper each time they hack, ruining any chance of stealthy monitoring....
Also... having a douchebag with ibis.a in the server is a way to say : YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN ADMIN, and not just some money paying whore, so tread lightly if you chose to fuck up... just reduces the amount of shit to deal with on a daily basis just by having a tag, rather than forcing you to talk all the time...
Admins who HACK on other servers with the ibis.a tag in their name are subject to a perma ban offense as seen in the Benihime and Mistral clusterfuck of a case. We spent a full year trying to prove that they hacked, and the fact that benihime accidentally left his ibis.a tag on ANOTHER server while hacking (and thus made it easier for brett and i to track down the ONE AND ONLY demo of him hacking by using the ibis.a tag in multiple search engine searches.... yata yata: ibis.a tag represents ibis. And hacking under it is a perma offense, and thus helps us clean the servers even more.

5- Any admin that requires a name 23424242432432 digits long to represent themselves, causing the ibis.a tag to "take too much space" is childish at best. FFS even BladeTwinSwords ibis.a can fit, and that's gay enough. And you might as well start getting known more by a shorter handle in game and grow up.

6- Clarity vs counterproductivity. That's really all it comes down too. Sure you can tell that player is an admin when they type in chat, but take Scribble and xerenix for example, i've seen them go ENTIRE FUCKING DAYS without typing or saying a SINGLE FUCKING WORD. And yet there presence alone in the server is more than enough.

Here's an annoying scenario:
If you remove the ibis.a requirements, new players to the server who DONT KNOW the admins by heart by force of habit, tend to be lost when trying to inform an admin of a certain player breaking the rules/hacking. You are a new player, or fuck it : you are a VETERAN player, but a new player JUST bought admin recently and has been playing on the server and using voice chat for the longest time. You simply don't know who to talk to immediately, and wondering if ur private msgs to admin are being received when trying to subtly tell them there's a hacker...
Because no tag.

A new admin is playing quietly and enjoying a game with sceniority, another admin shows up, sees no tag, assumes he's now the senior admin. 45 minutes later all hell rises when he tries to switch the map and suddenly the first admin becomes VERY vocal about him being senior (TENDS TO BE A FUCKING HABIT WITH YOU GUYS recently...)...

7- It's been like this forever, and will probably remain the same because it's not broken. If something is broken or not working, i'm all for change and fixing it, and been vocal about such shit... but really? you're asking to change a rule that's been around for years, for... ehm... 5 letters?

tl;dr

That's a no for me... simply because having the tag forced ON has MORE merits than NOT having it on.

B1ackOut
01-16-2015, 01:25 AM
No that is a stupid idea, you are essentially an officer of the server, put away the bad guys, give timeouts for the shit disturbers and help out the regular citizens with problems. The tag is your uniform and your badge, a symbol of your power that is unmistakable even to the blindingly stupid. Its a few letters at the end of your name that is constantly visible showing that no matter what form of communication you use, chat, voice, or even steam chat, that you are an admin and you should be listened to. Sure there may be other ways to see if a player is an admin but the tag is simple, it can be seen even in the scoreboard which makes it easy to quickly find the admins in server. Its a simple rule, 5 letters and a period, but it can go a long way for clarity.

swagbot 9k
01-16-2015, 02:10 AM
Penis guys....

penis. :chillpill:

phil.™
01-16-2015, 08:10 AM
People like me are hit with abuse when I clearly helped ibis out by catching a rule breaker all because of a tag. Anyway, this post and idea will get shut down, what else is new?

I'm fine with the open discussion, i'm not fine with how you're turning this so you're the victim.

Rofl, you don't put on the ibis.a tag cause it "conflicts" with your other clan that you are in (assuming it's their rule you cannot wear another tag). Fine. But if you're gonna be admin in this community, you abide by our rules, and our rules say any admins who use admin commands MUST WEAR THE FUCKING IBIS.A TAG. Clear and simple.

StarsMine
01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
I dont understand how it would conflict with other clans.
you only need it on in the ibis servers, hell you dont even have to have it on, just on when you want to use a command.

minjae
01-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Yeah...I'm going to agree that this is pretty plain and simple..while there are servers that don't use tags such as GFL...their way of showing who is admin is not there..
It's rather ANNOYING, that I have NO idea who admin is..you have to play in there enough to know who has admin and who doesn't.
IBIS servers at least say that you're an admin, but in GFL...nothing. Admin names are in color, but that's also for people who donate and people who joined the forums or something?

In the end, having the tag should be necessary when using admin commands. If you don't want to play with it, take it off. Just make sure you have it on when using commands. Even SIMPLE commands.

RofLoLmao
01-16-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm fine with the open discussion, i'm not fine with how you're turning this so you're the victim.

Rofl, you don't put on the ibis.a tag cause it "conflicts" with your other clan that you are in (assuming it's their rule you cannot wear another tag). Fine. But if you're gonna be admin in this community, you abide by our rules, and our rules say any admins who use admin commands MUST WEAR THE FUCKING IBIS.A TAG. Clear and simple.

#1 I don't plan to admin in this community. Someone bought me admin without my knowledge and I have to let the month play out. #2 If an admin were to ban say 10 hackers without tag all cases would be considered "abuse" since there's no tag.....where is the logic in that? #3 I've witnessed clan use admin commands without a tag so why are they not held to the same standards? All because they are clan now, shit slides by. They should be setting the example of how to admin properly on this community, abiding by ibis rules since let's see they've had to have admin for well over a year.

minjae
01-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Clan puts forth hard work and effort in order to get where they are. They're not an admin for a long time to get clan.
They're not just "average" admins either.

Either way..I'll let clan respond to your post.

acolyte_to_jippity
01-16-2015, 02:04 PM
5- Any admin that requires a name 23424242432432 digits long to represent themselves, causing the ibis.a tag to "take too much space" is childish at best. FFS even BladeTwinSwords ibis.a can fit, and that's gay enough. And you might as well start getting known more by a shorter handle in game and grow up.

I did. ya'll need to grow up.

#1 I don't plan to admin in this community. Someone bought me admin without my knowledge and I have to let the month play out. #2 If an admin were to ban say 10 hackers without tag all cases would be considered "abuse" since there's no tag.....where is the logic in that? #3 I've witnessed clan use admin commands without a tag so why are they not held to the same standards? All because they are clan now, shit slides by. They should be setting the example of how to admin properly on this community, abiding by ibis rules since let's see they've had to have admin for well over a year.

#1 then don't be admin. you don't need to use your commands just because you have them. but if you're going to use them, put your tag on.
#2 then they'd probably get a light punishment, and a "good job, but try to tag up". unless you were undercover trying to catch out those 10 hackers.
#3 clan is held to the same standards, but they're given more leeway. they've put years and years into this place, after all.

Also, minjae, you do realize that clan HAS weighed in on this post, right? lol

rawrr
01-16-2015, 02:42 PM

I think he forgets that Phil and Cyber are clan now lol

Also, dont be lazy, just wear the tag, not that hard.

Sin
01-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Tags are gay as fuck.

sup
01-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Can we still make the admin skin optional? Please? Or maybe get some new ones would be nice.

Xerenix
01-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Can we still make the admin skin optional? Please? Or maybe get some new ones would be nice.

:wtg:

CYBER
01-16-2015, 07:18 PM

I don't see anything wrong in that, I don't mind a toggle command that disables ur admin skin at ur next rejoin or map change (@zeroooooooo) ,simply to allow some undercover play or casual play...

I PERSONALLY would find it suitable to have a script that checks at map join if a player has admin, AND if player has ibis.a in their name. This will force the "hey I'm admin" skin while wearing the "hey I'm admin tag", but then removal of the tag will lead to u going full undercover as a regular :smirk:

See, this shit sounds actually fun... Not the tag removal that we all know was initiated because SOMEONE enjoys playing on another server where they are too intimidated by our tag...

minjae
01-17-2015, 09:03 AM

lol yeah I know..I was just talking about his recent post is all.
FYI...I know Phil, Scribbs, and Cyber are clan now puhaha.
How would I not know. Phil was super super ecstatic about making it into clan. :lmao:

Lily
01-17-2015, 04:44 PM
How would I not know. Phil was super super ecstatic about making it into clan. :lmao:
Was he singing and dancing when he heard? :P

Pink
12-13-2016, 10:42 PM
I always-ed loved the tag it personally made me feel made like I was part of something bigger than myself that I was part of a community with in a community. Wearing it just shows your something not just a reg or a random but some one who cares (in most cases but anyone can buy it so yea...) besides all those negative parts its typically something amazing when you know the admin or being one

Hitman
04-24-2017, 07:44 PM
I havent played in years, and just learned about the skin. But I need to agree with everything Cyber mentioned in his "fucking wall of text"

It always will be part of this community. It makes us stand out from the others. Skin or no skin, it always was,and will be part of this community.

The Fox
04-25-2017, 03:32 PM
I will say that a portion of that wall of text is obsolete, the "not knowing which admins are on" when you need one to notify them about a hacker. With the call feature I suggested that is now implemented, the just have to type !call and can report a player to an active admin

D-town
04-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Tags are gay as fuck.

Agreed.

CYBER
05-01-2017, 10:09 AM
I still stand by that the tag should remain mandatory to have before being an active admin that uses admin commands.

Having that extra layer of "requirement" not only helps identify the admin easier in chat, especially since many of us have a shitton of custom skins/textures.
Sure, the call feature is nice, but veteran players know the admins usually, and newcomers simply get overwhelmed when typing new commands at times.

But most importantly, requiring the person to add that ibis.a tag in his/her name before using admin commands is also another layer of protection for any admin that's on tilt or in a rage-induced state.
I can't tell you many times "I" have been triggered by certain fucks that specifically targeted me when I was an admin, and how many times I just wished i could just perma ban them for the day, even though it would get reversed and I'd lose my admin rights.
Having to actually go in and add my ibis.a tag JUST to abuse gives you a moment to reflect about what you're about to do. It puts it in perspective.

If you wanted to commit a murder/suicide, it's far more likely for you to do so if you were carrying the gun in your hands at all times than having to walk a few blocks to the store and purchase one with money spent out of pocket first before the deed.

---------
That's just the practicality of having to have the tag on, having ibis.a in your name helps with advertising for the server even when you're not logged in to steam... and considering that many players moved on to GO, I'm sure you can bitch less about having 6 chars taken out of ur name in order to keep a server you play on alive.

And don't get me started about the fact that having ibis.a in ur name as an admin helps conditionning hackers to automatically associate "ibis.a" with "there's an admin on board" and no tags around with "aha no admin around, i can do whatever i want and not get caught immediately", vs the "oh this server doesn't have mandatory tags, ima have to run a check to see who's who first."

And bam, we're back to the whole "extra step" to do before doing smthn shitty, but in reverse: in this case you WANT them to accidentally use admin when an admin is chiling in spec without a tag, or the likes, because better they commit the shit while u're watching, even off duty, than when no one is.

SCRIBBLE
05-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Wearing tag when functioning as an admin = good.

Not wearing tag while functioning as an admin = bad.

Not wearing tag while functioning as a regular player = fine, but you can neither gain map seniority nor can you push your weight around as an admin.

Don't act like an admin if you don't have the tag on. If you do, Cyber will simultaneously scold and confuse you with a thesis-length message. He'll have wasted a year of your life explaining it, and your English vocabulary will have regressed back to kindergarten. On the upside, you'll be fluent in Spanish.

rawrr
05-01-2017, 04:49 PM
I still stand by that the tag should remain mandatory to have before being an active admin that uses admin commands.

Having that extra layer of "requirement" not only helps identify the admin easier in chat, especially since many of us have a shitton of custom skins/textures.
Sure, the call feature is nice, but veteran players know the admins usually, and newcomers simply get overwhelmed when typing new commands at times.

But most importantly, requiring the person to add that ibis.a tag in his/her name before using admin commands is also another layer of protection for any admin that's on tilt or in a rage-induced state.
I can't tell you many times "I" have been triggered by certain fucks that specifically targeted me when I was an admin, and how many times I just wished i could just perma ban them for the day, even though it would get reversed and I'd lose my admin rights.
Having to actually go in and add my ibis.a tag JUST to abuse gives you a moment to reflect about what you're about to do. It puts it in perspective.

If you wanted to commit a murder/suicide, it's far more likely for you to do so if you were carrying the gun in your hands at all times than having to walk a few blocks to the store and purchase one with money spent out of pocket first before the deed.

---------
That's just the practicality of having to have the tag on, having ibis.a in your name helps with advertising for the server even when you're not logged in to steam... and considering that many players moved on to GO, I'm sure you can bitch less about having 6 chars taken out of ur name in order to keep a server you play on alive.

And don't get me started about the fact that having ibis.a in ur name as an admin helps conditionning hackers to automatically associate "ibis.a" with "there's an admin on board" and no tags around with "aha no admin around, i can do whatever i want and not get caught immediately", vs the "oh this server doesn't have mandatory tags, ima have to run a check to see who's who first."

And bam, we're back to the whole "extra step" to do before doing smthn shitty, but in reverse: in this case you WANT them to accidentally use admin when an admin is chiling in spec without a tag, or the likes, because better they commit the shit while u're watching, even off duty, than when no one is.

My head hurts... :banghead:

Kasp3r
05-01-2017, 05:39 PM

lol, thats assuming i would use a gun for something so personal :p but on the flip side i wouldn't want it to be over real quick.

- - - Updated - - -

Not wearing tag while functioning as a regular player = fine, but you can neither gain map seniority nor can you push your weight around as an admin.

Don't act like an admin if you don't have the tag on. If you do, Cyber will simultaneously scold and confuse you with a thesis-length message. He'll have wasted a year of your life explaining it, and your English vocabulary will have regressed back to kindergarten. On the upside, you'll be fluent in Spanish.

can u define = and . for me?
and what if that admin is already fluent in spanish can they choose another language to become fluent in?

SCRIBBLE
05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Nope.

I'm a zambi
05-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Nope.
I thought there was a difference between speaking Spanish and speaking Cyber?

swagbot 9k
05-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Cyber speaks something worse than Spanish. He speaks Messican

CYBER
05-02-2017, 12:55 AM

hmmm Que?

The Fox
05-02-2017, 12:39 PM
So what your saying is that the ibis tag is there so clan knows who is admin and not and so players don't have to understand server commands that were made to make things easier because if they are new it makes it harder therefore hackers don't find out about the !call feature to know who is an admin that is on therefore hackers conditioned to the ibis.a will always associate ti ad not use the call to find out who is or isn't admin therefore spanish can work well in confusing there minds to make for easier bans?

SCRIBBLE
05-02-2017, 04:12 PM
So what your saying is that the ibis tag is there so clan knows who is admin and not and so players don't have to understand server commands that were made to make things easier because if they are new it makes it harder therefore hackers don't find out about the !call feature to know who is an admin that is on therefore hackers conditioned to the ibis.a will always associate ti ad not use the call to find out who is or isn't admin therefore spanish can work well in confusing there minds to make for easier bans?

Looks like Cyber already got to this one.

The Fox
10-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Back to this, I think there should be times we can use our admin without the admin tag, as we now have the call feature, I think if we are called in by a player because of someone allegedly hacking we should be able to come in undercover without the tag an issue a punishment if they turn out to be hacking as to not tip them off. Would this be acceptable? I wouldn't outright remove the tag as its a great deterrent while admins are in game, but when called in it can alert hackers that an admin is joining and give them the time to toggle off or leave.

SCRIBBLE
10-06-2017, 09:42 AM
We have SourceTV for a reason, you don't need to be undercover to catch hackers.

Kasp3r
10-06-2017, 12:35 PM
If you get called in and see nothing wrong going on you can always download the demo after the map changes and watch it to see what was happening before and after you showed up.