PDA

View Full Version : Manual Server Restart command [Updated]

ZERO
08-06-2009, 09:16 PM
If something goes crazy on a map and the server needs a reset first try rcon_reload this will restart the map but will first unload and reload all running plugins and game settings. This is a much more efficient way to try to correct normal gameplay glitches.

rcon_reload

However some times this can be really messed like when there are ghost players wasting slots (thanks valve) these need to be fixed by a rcon_restart

rcon_restart

The rcon_restart command will crash the server as soon as it is entered. This way it will restart via the auto crash detection immediately. Admins that abuse this power will have rcon powers taken away and or will be perma banned from all servers. The restart command should only be used in a situation where the server physics are broken and map switching nor switching around sv_turbophysics along with other possible cvars does not fix the problem. :wtg:

Oasis
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Fuck yes, exactly what ZM needed.

THE HOLY SH**T!
08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
What if someones timeleft spamming the server causing it to lag, can an admin purposely crash the server?

walterbrunswick
08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I LOVE YOU! (no homo)

Finally.

Thank you!!!

This access is much needed now-a-days, as the servers have been suffering from memory leaks and physics problems on a seemingly-regular basis.

Admittedly I am one of these perpetrators who have used the "negative gravity" solution, probably even the one who has used it the most (all in warranted situations). I'm sorry, I didn't know this caused a "black hole" memory leak (that would explain the ridiculously long reboot times).:twak:

inthebutt
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
thanks ZERO!!! :wtg:

see walter I told you changing the gravity to crash the server to restart it was a big no-no.

maybe you should listen when it comes to this stuff.

**EDIT**

HOLY, ZERO has something installed to where if you do spam timeleft, that person is automatically banned.

ZERO
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
What if someones timeleft spamming the server causing it to lag, can an admin purposely crash the server?

There is a mod that auto bans anyone doing that.

THE HOLY SH**T!
08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Sweet.

Haven't been on much lately to know that !

&&toasties
08-06-2009, 10:20 PM
thanks ZERO!!! :wtg:

see walter I told you changing the gravity to crash the server to restart it was a big no-no.

**EDIT**

HOLY, ZERO has something installed to where if you do spam timeleft, that person is automatically banned.

I only did the negative gravity thing once, but I was told that was the only way to crash the server, I tried everything from mass slapping to burning, freezing, slapping, etc.

But anyways, Zero-kins, will do.

If I ever need to do anything in GG, I do so in your holy name!

inthebutt
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I only did the negative gravity thing once, but I was told that was the only way to crash the server, I tried everything from mass slapping to burning, freezing, slapping, etc.

But anyways, Zero-kins, will do.

If I ever need to do anything in GG, I do so in your holy name!

I would like to know who told you that??

XxMastagunzxX
08-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I think this is a good idea but maybe only trusted admins should be allowed this power such as holy shit and other long time admins. I fear it would be abused.

walterbrunswick
08-06-2009, 11:03 PM

You just told me not to do it, you didn't tell me WHY not to do it. As far as I know, it was because you didn't want your precious corporate game-time interrupted by a reboot. In any case, you were never on when I did it.

I have a lot more computer programming experience than you, so if you can not speak to me on a technical level, I don't care to hear it, frankly.

I think this is a good idea but maybe only trusted admins should be allowed this power such as holy shit and other long time admins. I fear it would be abused.

I absolutely agree.

inthebutt
08-06-2009, 11:14 PM
You just told me not to do it, you didn't tell me WHY not to do it. As far as I know, it was because you didn't want your precious corporate game-time interrupted by a reboot. In any case, you were never on when I did it.

I have a lot more computer programming experience than you, so if you can not speak to me on a technical level, I don't care to hear it, frankly.

I absolutely agree.

my corporate game time is very precious.

Christmas
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Why is it that when people think they know more about an issue (computers, being an admin) than someone, they become arrogant and act like everything they say on the issue is correct?

So annoying.

&&toasties
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Why is it that when people think they know more about an issue (computers, being an admin) than someone, they become arrogant and act like everything they say on the issue is correct?

So annoying.

I absolutely agree.

And as for what Mastagunz said, I agree too.

Many of the new admins will more than likely abuse this power.

mastercheff
08-07-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1718
this thread has a screeen shot of what happened to zero when he spammed timeleft

&&toasties
08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1718
this thread has a screeen shot of what happened to zero when he spammed timeleft

hahahahahaha

Jeimuzu
08-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Thank you Zero.

inthebutt
08-07-2009, 09:42 PM

So annoying.

why do people believe in a fat white guy who wears a red suit, suppose to bring presents and climbs down a chimney??

so annoying

Christmas
08-07-2009, 09:48 PM
why do people believe in a fat white guy who wears a red suit, suppose to bring presents and climbs down a chimney??

so annoying

I chuckled.

P.S. I was referring to Walter in this instance.

Jeimuzu
08-07-2009, 09:53 PM

He's working on that new admin system remember? There's supposedly going to be different levels of admin.

XxMastagunzxX
08-07-2009, 09:56 PM

so annoying

Because we fucking love presents

&&toasties
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Because we fucking love presents

I second this notion.

D:

inthebutt
08-08-2009, 02:19 AM
I chuckled.

P.S. I was referring to Walter in this instance.

oh well than please proceed.

THE HOLY SH**T!
08-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Any admin should be able to use it, new admins and admins that have been around awhile. Be caught abusing should be an instant lost of adminship and a server ban for a period of time as zer0 explain would be good.

TheLittlestHobo
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Bump because it's important.

I just used it because it was lagging. Apparently, after reading this after I restarted it, did I know it does not fix lag.

It is most effective only to fix the physics.

This is just to share my experience with the restart command thus far to all the admins.

๖ReS
08-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Interesting.

Can we make GG 66 Tick and ZM 100 Tick by any chance ?

Why dose GG need to be 100 Tick.

Also, Why is the server so damn laggy lately ?

ZERO
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
100 tick zombie would make it lag even more also you want 100 tick in gg for shot registration. In addition, you can only take advantage of 100 tick if you get >100fps and I am virtually the only one who can get 100+fps 100% of the time in zm mod anyways. On that note about 70% of zm lag is client side resulting from there computer being overloaded from a combination of poor map programing and too many player models for the client computer to handle and or mic connections.

Jeimuzu
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
100 tick zombie would make it lag even more also you want 100 tick in gg for shot registration. In addition, you can only take advantage of 100 tick if you get >100fps and I am virtually the only one who can get 100+fps 100% of the time in zm mod anyways. On that note about 70% of zm lag is client side resulting from there computer being overloaded from a combination of poor map programing and too many player models for the client computer to handle and or mic connections.

I get about 140-180 fps constantly except for when the server lags.

Anyhow, the 41 players in ZM cause a few problems.. For one, you can't join in the middle of the map and play or it says the teams are full. People get stuck in each other for about 20 seconds of the beginning of the round because there's never enough spawn points.. Etc.

I still say it would be best to have two zm servers, one dedicated to escape, one to cade, blah blah, and put them both to 31-32 slots.

Christmas
08-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I get about 140-180 fps constantly except for when the server lags.

Anyhow, the 41 players in ZM cause a few problems.. For one, you can't join in the middle of the map and play or it says the teams are full. People get stuck in each other for about 20 seconds of the beginning of the round because there's never enough spawn points.. Etc.

I still say it would be best to have two zm servers, one dedicated to escape, one to cade, blah blah, and put them both to 31-32 slots.

What maps are these?

Jeimuzu
08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
One of them is TX Highschool. Doubt you'd want to remove that.

It pretty much happens on any map with less than 41 spawn points. But it's also random at the same time, as to whether is happens or not.

You probably haven't been in ZM for awhile, so you probably haven't witnessed the chaos and hordes of noobs coming at you from every direction throwing grenades into your barricades constantly, or the massive amounts of mic spamming and what not.

ZERO
08-12-2009, 08:27 PM
If a list of non working 40 slot maps could be made I could add more spawn points...

Jeimuzu
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
All you'd really have to do is open the maps in the SDK and add spawn points then save.. I think..

Let me go try it.

Apparently not. You need the original .vmf save don't you?..

ZERO
08-12-2009, 10:20 PM
It can be done with a server side mod :wtg:

DeadEyeDeNNi$
10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Zero,

I know that I read somewhere that you do not like server restarts as it has been abused in the past, however, A few nights ago on the GG server, there was a major malfunction in either the server or people in he server as we were having severe lagging problems uncommon to the typical performance and most of the peopl were asking me to restart the server.

I said that even though it was pretty bad that you had posted that restarts were not recommended so I logged rather than have to deal with the whining.

So tell me, should I have restarted the server or not? I am pretty self conscious of the admin commands that I enable so was not ready to do this and be in a bad light as an admin in IBIS eyes.

I am almost 62 and I have nothing but the best interests at heart for the gamers and server hosts.

Regards,

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

ZERO
10-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Yea, especially in servers that are not zm any lag that is not normal and will not go away with a map change will require a restart to fix. Assuming that a restart can fix it.

Rob
10-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Or admins like me. :D
haven't been admin for ages, but 4 months, as of... the day after tomorrow.
not that that matters. buh im a good person, you should know that. :D

ZERO
07-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Updated with the new commands:wtg:

lt.rambo
07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Or admins like me. :D
haven't been admin for ages, but 4 months, as of... the day after tomorrow.
not that that matters. buh im a good person, you should know that. :D

^^ since 2008 here