PDA

View Full Version : Transfering files between computers via internet

Jeimuzu
08-11-2009, 10:51 PM
My friend, who lives no where near me, needs to download quite a few files. His computer crashed and I'm giving him some stuff back.. But, Windows Live Messenger just isn't cutting it anymore..

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to set up a connection between two computers, or knows of a program or website that does this, so that I can transfer all these files using the full potential of my uploading capabilities.

Any help or suggestions will be helpful.. As long as they're free that is.

Jeimuzu
08-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Bump, because I do actually need help with this.

Christmas
08-12-2009, 01:52 AM
It's called email. Or rapidshare.

ImGonnaGetCha
08-12-2009, 02:36 AM
hmmmm....ummm.....

ImGonnaGetCha
08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
I Forgot, But I Know You Can Connect To His Computer If He Lets You, But I Forgot How To Do That.....

ImGonnaGetCha
08-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Oh!!!! Ok Click On Start And Then You Will See Something That Says "Help And Support", Click On That!!! And Then Click On Windows Remote Assistance And You Know The Rest!!! You Can Connect To His Computer That Way ^^

ImGonnaGetCha
08-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Let Me Know If It Works

Christmas
08-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Getcha, there is an edit feature.

Four posts in a row? Come on that is just overkill.

ImGonnaGetCha
08-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Lawlz!!! Oh Stop Your Whining!!!! WoOt I Passed Clone :icon_mrgreen: Haha Yes He Is My Competition!!!! I Can't Let Him Pass Me, I Just Can't!!!!!! Lawlz :lmao:

ZERO
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Just use hamachi to create a vpn between your computers. Then your systems will act like they are on a lan. You could also try filezilla to make an ftp server or another program and then use that or another ftp client to download the files. You could also create a torrent file for the files and then just seed the files and allow the user to download them that way as well. All of these methods should be more reliable than the one currently implemented.

Jeimuzu
08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I knew I was forgetting a program.. Thanks Zero.

And Getcha, Remote Access only connects our computers so I can control his computer. It's used for helping someone fix a problem when they can't come to them in person. It doesn't really connect two computers the way I need it to.

You can close/delete this thread now. I had asked a few people, no one knew. So I came here.

inthebutt
08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
you know if you were bored and had cash to blow, you could have just bought a portable HD and loaded all your files on to it and than nextday delivered it through UPS or FEDEX to your friend.

mastercheff
08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
you know if you were bored and had cash to blow, you could have just bought a portable HD and loaded all your files on to it and than nextday delivered it through UPS or FEDEX to your friend.

lol thats you inthebutt

inthebutt
08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
lol actually I've never done that before.

Mallissin
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
You can also try Dropbox to transfer shared files over the Internet.

http://www.getdropbox.com/

And to avoid problems in the future, Crashplan has a "back to friend" feature that's helpful in these situations. You wouldn't need to do anything but turn the computer on for him to restore files. They also have added unlimited online backup plans recently ("family plan" for $5 can be shared by friends).

http://www6.crashplan.com/consumer/index.html