PDA

View Full Version : My CSS broke somehow

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok so whenever i try joining a server in css it fucks up. I can enter the game, it just wont let me join a server. It gives me a Engine Error message saying "Internal Driver Error in IDirect3DDevice9::Present()" Then when i hit ok it gives me a message saying hl2.exe has to close. When i hit close it says hl2.exe-application error with a message saying "The instruction at "0x0e917e13" referenced memory at "0x00000038". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Then i hit ok and it closes out of the game.

Idk what to do to fix this, i dont want to totally reinstall steam cuz i would have to take all my skins off and stuff and i dont want to do all that over again. Please help if you got any ideas.

inthebutt
09-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Ok so whenever i try joining a server in css it fucks up. I can enter the game, it just wont let me join a server. It gives me a Engine Error message saying "Internal Driver Error in IDirect3DDevice9::Present()" Then when i hit ok it gives me a message saying hl2.exe has to close. When i hit close it says hl2.exe-application error with a message saying "The instruction at "0x0e917e13" referenced memory at "0x00000038". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Then i hit ok and it closes out of the game.

Idk what to do to fix this, i dont want to totally reinstall steam cuz i would have to take all my skins off and stuff and i dont want to do all that over again. Please help if you got any ideas.

hanging out at my local gamestop waiting for ODST to come out and I decided to check out the forums on my iPhone lawl.

MBP my cousin had a problem just like yours, he could start CSS up but he can't join a server. he had to uninstall steam completely and reinstalled it.

Mallissin
09-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Fairly common error.

Try running down Valve's FAQ for it.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5204-UOSN-9830

It seems more common in newer video cards (last 3 years) because of anti-GPU crashing measures in the drivers.

This is what happens; you load the game fine but when the game starts to load a map (a tougher job than just loading the game) it's causing the GPU kernel to crash for some reason, forcing the driver to try to reconnect and leaving the game without any video cards available to render the map on, which causes the game to crash with that error.

There could be many causes, from a bad setting in the game's video settings or your video card driver, to a corrupt model or texture in your CS:S directory.

So, before doing #4 on Valve's walkthrough, do a search in your Steam directory for any files modified or created in the last few weeks, move a few out to a safe place, try loading the game and repeat until the error goes away. Eventually you'll find the culprit if the problem is indeed a corrupt model or texture, or come to realize a complete reinstall is in order.

Vladninja
09-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Wow thanks Mallissin you may have actually helped me out to... I can get in game and even play for an hour or two but then I start getting an HL2.exe error and get kicked out of game. Odd thing is if I rejoin sometimes its fine other times it will do it minutes later. When it does it seems completely random even the map doesn't seem to matter much.

I have two Nvidia 9600 GSO and cant even play Call of Duty 4 (which came free with the video cards) It seems that a lot of people are having the same issue... and it looks like it could be the drivers. I like Nvidia cards but there customer service is complete bullshit.

Its like wow thanks for buying these new video cards but we aren't gonna release a fixed driver for some time... hahahahaha.

ImGonnaGetCha
09-22-2009, 04:07 AM
You Might Want To Get That Little Black Chip That Stores All Your Info From Your Computer (I Think It's For Laptops Only, Not Sure) And Whatever In It, So Next Time If You Have A Problem Like This You Wont Have To Worry

P.s. I Don't Remember What The Chip Was Called, All I Know Is That My Ex Was A Nerd Like You Guys (LOL) When It Came To Computers :p!!!!! I Cannot Belive I'm Still Up WoW, Im About To Pass Out Goodnights

Mallissin
09-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Yah, I'm not too pleased with Nvidia at the moment either. I bought a 260 GTX to work on a CUDA project, giving my old ATI 3870s to a friend, and the new card does GPU recovers all the time when I'm watching videos. Never had any issues with the 3870s. So, I need to turn off Hardware Acceleration in Flash to be able to browse the web without the error popping up and turn off all "PureVideo" settings in the Nvidia control panel to stop Netflix videos from causing worse problems (black speckles across the screen). After doing this, it still has problems on occasion.

If you're sure it's the drivers, the Nvidia control panel lets you change settings on a per application basis. Hop in there, find the game in question and turn complicated things off. "Conformant texture clamp" and "Threaded optimization" seem to do the most help turned off on older games.

Sin
09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I don't know if anyone else has said it yet because there are giant blocks of text that I don't feel like reading right now, but...

Roll back your video card drivers.

D-Monic
09-22-2009, 08:10 AM
it seems to be a problem relating to drivers. there were a lot of post saying different/older drivers have fixed this problem so yea.....

+1 Sin:wtg:

ZERO
09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
If you are bit using latest driver then update. If you are then you should switch to an old driver and use that until a fix is released.

What is funny is that this is not really the video cards fault but the game for having unstable or corrupted files. The issue with the video card is just that it is forcing the user out before they play the game rather than crash the entire computer later on.

yours' truely
09-22-2009, 01:10 PM
You Might Want To Get That Little Black Chip That Stores All Your Info From Your Computer (I Think It's For Laptops Only, Not Sure) And Whatever In It, So Next Time If You Have A Problem Like This You Wont Have To Worry

you mean a usb chip with the system restore on it or do you mean Deep Freeze (http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp)?

Sin
09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
you mean a usb chip with the system restore on it or do you mean Deep Freeze (http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp)?

I think she means one of these guys: http://www.check-raisepoker.co.za/images/Chip_Black_Tyron.gif

Vladninja
09-22-2009, 02:37 PM
If you are bit using latest driver then update. If you are then you should switch to an old driver and use that until a fix is released.

What is funny is that this is not really the video cards fault but the game for having unstable or corrupted files. The issue with the video card is just that it is forcing the user out before they play the game rather than crash the entire computer later on.

Yea Ive actually gone back and am currently using an older driver. So far it now lets me play 3-4 hours before kicking me out of game instead of an hour of play. Funny thing is there are 4 newer updates that dont work... which tells me there is no promise the next update will fix any of my problems.

I have about 33 of these in my problems and solutions folder

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: hl2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4445c334
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.18294
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a61f288
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000b53a3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7757
Additional Information 2: 15c971775cc05b86df0072f18ce935b7
Additional Information 3: 0287
Additional Information 4: 67e7a8ecf530719a782ac73d815f776e

loka
09-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I think she means one of these guys: http://www.check-raisepoker.co.za/images/Chip_Black_Tyron.gif

omg... i just fell off my seat and rolled on the floor

Sin
09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
omg... i just fell off my seat and rolled on the floor

Thanks for that, I chuckled a little myself when I read her post.

Breezy
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM

Do you play insurgency? If not, I had a problem where Insurgency made me get that error, frequently. Try not playing a certain game, while continuing CSS, and narrow down which game might be causing it.

Mallissin
09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I have about 33 of these in my problems and solutions folder

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: hl2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4445c334
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.18294
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a61f288
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000b53a3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7757
Additional Information 2: 15c971775cc05b86df0072f18ce935b7
Additional Information 3: 0287
Additional Information 4: 67e7a8ecf530719a782ac73d815f776e

That says CS:S crashed from a problem in Internet Explorer (mshtml.dll), which Valve uses for the MOTD in game and web browser in the game overlay. The DLL is a few versions old, too.

Try going to Windows Update and grabbing all the IE updates. Might stop the crashing.

I also noticed a few years back that CS:S hates it when IE has a huge internet cache. I had mine set to 3 GBs (my way of saving a copy of every website I visited). When I toned it back below a gigabyte, the crashing went away for me. So, also take a peak at your IE cache settings.

Anyone heard from MBP? Is he okay?

Jeimuzu
09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I get that hl2.exe error all the time. Usually when I minimize to check msn when the map is changing. Gets annoying after awhile, and I never was able to find a fix for it.

Breezy
09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I get that hl2.exe error all the time. Usually when I minimize to check msn when the map is changing. Gets annoying after awhile, and I never was able to find a fix for it.

The fix would probably not to be on msn, or any chatting device, CSS is sensitive and a lot of things interfere with it, and it ends up getting a critical error.

๖ReS
09-23-2009, 03:07 PM
The fix would probably not to be on msn, or any chatting device, CSS is sensitive and a lot of things interfere with it, and it ends up getting a critical error.

Or when you tab back in and every texture is purple and black boxes.

I hate that.

yours' truely
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
you might want to get that little black chip that stores all your info from your computer (i think it's for laptops only, not sure) and whatever in it, so next time if you have a problem like this you wont have to worry

p.s. I don't remember what the chip was called, all i know is that my ex was a nerd like you guys (lol) when it came to computers :p!!!!! I cannot belive i'm still up wow, im about to pass out goodnights
found it!!!!

Sin
09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
found it!!!!

You're like 5 days late, bro.

See above.

yours' truely
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
awww. I've gotta work and other stuff. sometimes I can't be on top of the things that really matter in life... like my last post.

Sin
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
awww. I've gotta work and other stuff. sometimes I can't be on top of the things that really matter in life... like my last post.

It's okay... I understand. ;_;
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Jeimuzu
09-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Yeah I know, that's what I was trying to say.

ManBearPig <ibis>
10-06-2009, 10:37 PM
OK WTF IS THIS SHIT. So CSS never worked for me, and ive been trying everything. Finally today i completely uninstalled steam and deleted every trace of steam off my computer. I re-downloaded steam and reinstalled CSS. And the same fucking thing happened. OK if this doesn't work i dont know what could possibly be doing it. Somebody please come fix CSS on my computer because its just CSS. TF2 and all my other games work perfectly, but CSS wont let me join a server. HELP!

XxMastagunzxX
10-06-2009, 10:40 PM
OK WTF IS THIS SHIT. So CSS never worked for me, and ive been trying everything. Finally today i completely uninstalled steam and deleted every trace of steam off my computer. I re-downloaded steam and reinstalled CSS. And the same fucking thing happened. OK if this doesn't work i dont know what could possibly be doing it. Somebody please come fix CSS on my computer because its just CSS. TF2 and all my other games work perfectly, but CSS wont let me join a server. HELP!

Just get ready to install windows 7 when it comes out. That should fix the problem as long as your format your hard drive. Then reinstall all drivers.

By the way since you're a student you can get it for $30.

yours' truely
10-08-2009, 03:06 PM
buy one for me. i'll tip what ever you want. lol

XxMastagunzxX
10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
We are limited to 1 copy, sorry

ManBearPig <ibis>
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I totally reinstalled steam and it finally worked. I didnt predict that i would have to re-download all my games, and that went over my 14 gig limit so my internet got shut off... lol

Jeimuzu
10-10-2009, 10:58 AM
14 gb limit?

And congrats on getting CSS to work.

This reminds me of that time Res joined ZM, and his mic was messed up.. And he rejoined, and despite that having absolutely nothing to do with his mic (to my knowledge) it somehow worked.