PDA

View Full Version : hl2.exe failure

DeadEyeDeNNi$
12-20-2009, 06:18 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

This is becoming a PITA now. Has anyone else had this error happen to them?

"hl2.exe" has stopped working (not exact but you get the drift). I'm not sure how much it affects the game, but frequesntly I see the error box when I log off.

Any ideas of how to fix this or civil remarks on what to do or pointing the way to a techie that would know? (I'm saving Valve as a last resort)

All input appreciated in advance.

DED

XxMastagunzxX
12-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I've had it before but it's not happened since I installed windows 7

anex
12-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Haven't had that problem. Did you just recently update and now your having problems? If not it could be software/hardware problems.

Kavinsky
12-20-2009, 06:26 PM
go into launch options and put in -32bit might do the trick.

loka
12-20-2009, 06:27 PM
All the time cause I have Vista. I just ignore it until I can get Windows 7

DeadEyeDeNNi$
12-20-2009, 08:26 PM
All the time cause I have Vista. I just ignore it until I can get Windows 7

I have Windows 7. It happened with XP Pro, and Vista Home Premium as well. I thought that Win 7 Premium Home Edition would alleviate the problems I had which it did EXCEPT for the hl2.exe thing :(

***NOTE - I do save the whole file on a back up system as it's a stand alone program and did reload it from the backup when I did the clean install for Win 7 on 2 new raptors in raid 0... Don't know for sure but that really shouldn't make a difference IMO

DED

Jeimuzu
12-20-2009, 09:00 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

This is becoming a PITA now. Has anyone else had this error happen to them?

"hl2.exe" has stopped working (not exact but you get the drift). I'm not sure how much it affects the game, but frequesntly I see the error box when I log off.

Any ideas of how to fix this or civil remarks on what to do or pointing the way to a techie that would know? (I'm saving Valve as a last resort)

All input appreciated in advance.

DED

This usually happens when minimizing the game. If I recall, it's because of the Source Engine. Not much we can do 'bout that.

By the way, don't bother with Valve, they won't help because they're aware of the problem, and they won't be bothered with it. (I know from experience.)

ZERO
12-20-2009, 09:46 PM
have you tried disabling the steam community in game...

DeadEyeDeNNi$
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
have you tried disabling the steam community in game...

No I haven't. Although I can't see the connection I'll give it a try but I like to be available for the players in case they need me to deal with a situation.]]]

I will try it though and thx Zero, I think :P

Kavinsky
12-21-2009, 01:57 AM
did you try the -32 bit thing in the launch options?

half life 2 doesnt work on vista for me if I dont put that in.

mastercheff
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
i get this error as well its not very annoying but i would love to have that problem solved

DeadEyeDeNNi$
12-21-2009, 02:53 PM
did you try the -32 bit thing in the launch options?

half life 2 doesnt work on vista for me if I dont put that in.

I looked everywhere on the Valve site for the launcher options and found no command that had 32 bit in there. Do you have the command?

Jeimuzu
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I looked everywhere on the Valve site for the launcher options and found no command that had 32 bit in there. Do you have the command?

He means run it in compatability mode I think.

Kavinsky
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
go to my games, right click on it and open properties, then click set launch options and put this in " -32bit"

OMGBEARS
12-21-2009, 09:20 PM
This is how I solved the issue:

1) Go online or to a local software store
2) Buy Windows 7
3) Install Windows 7
4) ?????
5) Profit

Steamer
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Win 7 64 bit fixed that prob entirely for me. :wtg:

As for XP pro... I had to disable steam community to stop that pesky HL2.EXE crash. It's some kind of overlay bug...

Pink
12-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I normally get that issue if I go afk long enough to enable my screen saver with the game up and running.