PDA

View Full Version : Proper ADMIN tags

DeadEyeDeNNi$
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM
W/O trying to be too picky here I'd like to bring up a point of interest to the admins and future admins.

When you got your admin approval from Zero, you rec'd an email that went like this as I'm relatively sure that they are all a generic reply....

"Thank you for subscribing to admin,

You account will be activated shortly please place the <ibis.a> tag after your name to identify yourself as an admin. Also remember to take note of the conditions outlined in the TOS.

Thanks for your support of IBIS Gaming,
ZERO <ibis> "

Please notice that it doesn't say to do Homer Simpson | ibis A, or Homer Simpson {ibis|A}, or any other creative way you feel that you see fit to be different and set yourself apart from the SOP of the requested <ibis.a> tag designated in the email from Zero.

I do not mean to bitch out anyone specific, nor do I mean to be a PITA, HOWEVER, if we are all admins, wouldn't it be best to have the same tag so it will be a more recognizable symbol of authority than just creating your own?

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation :)

DED

maynard
01-05-2010, 08:23 PM
makes sense....

Bumpkin
01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Makes sense, but how are you going to enforce this?

People already recognise the ibis.a no matter what as an authoritative power...

anex
01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
My tag is going to remain the same. "aNex | ibis.a"

loka
01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Honestly, I don't think it matters much as long as the whole ibis.a is represented somewhere on the name. I also think a few people out of respect distinct themselves from the clan members who wear the <ibis> tag with the angle brackets.

Also keep in mind you're talking about a group of admins who have been around since 2008. It's ZERO's call, but unless you are talking about a clan member, it's an admin tag, and it holds a different status. It shouldn't be put with guidelines unless its a clan member.

StarsMine
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Considering people in the ibis clan use <ibis> and the admins use <ibis.a> even if they aren't part of the clan, I think i would rather have them use something else like that to show they aren't part of the clan.

maynard
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Considering people in the ibis clan use <ibis> and the admins use <ibis.a> even if they aren't part of the clan, I think i would rather have them use something else like that to show they aren't part of the clan.

Lol... they already are... 1 is the clan tag only, 1 has an A 2 show it's an admin.

loka
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
He's saying he would much rather see the admins use something else other than <ibis.a> to distinguish that they are not in the clan and are just an admin. Like I said, the brackets are the clans tag. An admin tag should be noticeably different from a clan tag.

Vladninja
01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I know a few Gungame admins that use | ibis.a

I was Vladninja | ibis.a for several months and never had a problem... but honestly I think until Zero says otherwise having the ibis.a is more important than what brackets you use...

That and please make sure you have your admin tag on when you use your admin powers.

maynard
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
He's saying he would much rather see the admins use something else other than <ibis.a> to distinguish that they are not in the clan and are just an admin. Like I said, the brackets are the clans tag. An admin tag should be noticeably different from a clan tag.

<ibis> clan member

<ibis.a> admin

I don't know how you can claim this is not noticeably diff lol

I don't get how this could be confusing or not sufficient...1 is clearly IBIS and 1 is an Ibis Admin.

Ibis.a might not be in Ibis, but we do admin the Ibis servers... saying we should make some new tag that's diff is kind of rude.

Vladninja
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM
<ibis> clan member

<ibis.a> admin

I don't know how you can claim this is not noticeably diff lol

I don't get how this could be confusing or not sufficient...1 is clearly IBIS and 1 is an Ibis Admin.

Ibis.a might not be in Ibis, but we do admin the Ibis servers... saying we should make some new tag that's diff is kind of rude.

Well making mine different was my choice... I saw others with it and liked the way it looked. I still felt I was also following Zero's rule of having ibis.a in my tag. I playd with Zero and other members of clan and never got a complaint.

loka
01-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Actually I think it's rude for someone to tell people their tag is wrong and they have no ownership to the clan.

As I stated and as Vlad stated as long as ibis.a is somewhere on your name it shouldn't matter what it looks like. ZERO has not made any mention of this, and personally when I got that email, I took it as my name should include ibis.a not the entire bracket of sorts. Maybe instead if ZERO used quotations everyone would add the quotations as well. It's interpreted to the reader. There is bigger issues then what the admins tag should be, like those who use admin powers without having "ibis.a" attached.

maynard
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
no no no no no you both got me wrong

when I said that's rude I meant 2 this

I think it's rude of this guy 2 say admins should make themselfs more distant from the clan.

personally I don't care what your name looks like as long as theres an ibis or ibis a in it... wasn't saying ppl who due diff then the traditional are bad.

DeadEyeDeNNi$
01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Sorry to cause any confusion here or misunderstanding. I was simply referring to the email that I got from Zero ref how to display an ADMIN tag and nothing to do with the IBIS clan members.
As I said initially I followed the email instructions sent to me by Zero an how to display the admin tag for an IBIS admin.

Below please find the EXACT copy of the email that I received from Zero. I thought that that was pretty self explanatory. My guess is that this was to identify all the admins for IBIS with one tag that was identical and as put forth by the #1 setting the rules, standards, etc.

Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

ADMIN‏
Sent: Sun 10/18/09 1:49 PM
To:

Thank you for subscribing to admin,

You account will be activated shortly please place the <ibis.a> tag after your name to identify yourself as an admin. Also remember to take note of the conditions outlined in the TOS.

Thanks for your support of IBIS Gaming,
ZERO <ibis>

anex
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
When I first became admin I had that in my name. "aNex <ibis.a>" Then all the other admins made fun of me and called me gay. I put in "| ibis.a" only because I wanted to be cool like everyone else!

God Dennis you have no idea what its like to be a young impressionable admin!

btw, still not changing.

THE HOLY SH**T!
01-05-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm THE HOLY SH**! | ibis.a

Been like this for as long as i can remember.

Damion
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Often times brackets are used to describe what is included in a syntax. Like <red> referring to the color values -255 to 255. In other words, an "insert here". So when I see brackets used I tend to ignore them since they are meant to focus on what is found within them. I'm not sure if Zero meant for brackets to be put around ibis.a or if he meant it in the previous manner, that your name must contain ibis.a, but I personally would prefer the added room for creativity. As long as the letters appear in plain view and not some strange alt-code, I see no problem with a touch of personality.

inthebutt
01-06-2010, 12:14 AM
here this will settle it.

if your an admin all you need to have at the end of your name is ibis.a

if your a clan member it just needs to be <ibis>

for admins it doesn't matter how you put it the ibis.a, <ibis.a>, | ibis.a, (ibis.a)

all people need to know is that your an admin by the a in your name.

Bumpkin
01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Often times brackets are used to describe what is included in a syntax. Like <red> referring to the color values -255 to 255. In other words, an "insert here". So when I see brackets used I tend to ignore them since they are meant to focus on what is found within them. I'm not sure if Zero meant for brackets to be put around ibis.a or if he meant it in the previous manner, that your name must contain ibis.a, but I personally would prefer the added room for creativity. As long as the letters appear in plain view and not some strange alt-code, I see no problem with a touch of personality.

+1.

Werd.

OMGBEARS
01-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Back when I played UO clans came with <'s as identifiers. Likewise, WoW does the same thing.

Also, back when I played Star Craft way too much I was in a clan that used the <'s as a part of the clan title.

So when I saw "please place the <ibis.a> tag after your name to identify yourself as an admin." I took it exactly as it said -- I placed the <ibis.a> tag after my name. In my experience; when used with some unique identifier (names, pronouns) <'s are meant to be used in conjunction with what is in between them.

For example: ZERO <ibis> or OMGBEARS <ibis.a>

Since IBIS is the clan that ZERO is apart of, and since I am an admin on IBIS servers, we use the whole identifier.

When used in other things with non-unique identifiers (not names) they are similar to quotations in their use.

For example: <insert witty statement here>.

I see where you're coming from, Dennis. I simply think that ZERO has put much thought into how admins display their tags beyond the email that every admin gets upon activation. 99% sure he doesn't care.

But I do, Dennis. I do.

Clone
01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I've always used Clone <ibis.a> and I AINT CHANGIN IT!!!! seems like the norm for me.

Clone

acolyte_to_jippity
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
guys, at least we all wear tags. it could be like SG. their admins don't need to wear any tags. I mean some do, but normally only their level ( L5||Oracion) and nothing linking them to the clan. as long as ibis.a is set off from your name in some way other than a space (no acolyte_to_jippity ibis.a for example) it should be fine.

Tragedy
01-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Why is this discussion continuing? Everyone should have gotten the answer they needed by the end of the first page.

<ibis> = clan
<ibis.a>, | ibis.a, (ibis.a), etc... = admin.

For the slow thinkers...

A = Admin

Pointless thread. Focus on filling the pub :lmao:

Vladninja
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Seems this issue has been resolved several times over... If Zero wants to he can reopen this thread and comment but I'm pretty sure that's at the very bottom of his huge TO DO list.