PDA

View Full Version : Flashed when shooting

Xerxes
01-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Okay, so I looked around the forums to see if I could find a resolution. No dice.

What happens (and I will post demos later on) is when I shoot someone, the game flashes me (like being flashbanged) for about .5-1 second. It's not a HUGE issue if I kill them with a few shoots, but in extended firefights, I get destroyed due to the fact that if they move after my first volley of rounds, I cannot see.

I've heard other people (Blackmage's name comes to mind) saying they get this too. He blamed it on having a Radeon card (I own a ATI Radeon 3650 HD), but other people have contradicted this saying they get it with nVidia's.

Not sure what to make out of it, because I tend to not get it on other servers...

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm off to go demo this annoyance.

Xerxes
01-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Here is the demo. I replayed this demo along with the actual game under MANY different video settings and I get the flash EVERY SINGLE TIME.

ZERO
01-27-2010, 01:49 AM
What happens for me is it goes dark, very strange indeed...

AmpeD
01-27-2010, 02:34 AM
What program can I use to view the .rar file? my comp doesn't have a default for it and windows media player wont play it.

Blackmage
01-27-2010, 03:36 AM
The going dark part is probably just him teleporting as human, I'm guessing.

Second, yes, I've had it before. I said I didn't know what it was :) I'll go find the video card model that it happened on. Later though, I need to sleep.

AmpeD: That's a variant on a Zip file, you need to unpack it with something like winRar, inside is the normal .dem file.

boszombie
01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Okay, so I looked around the forums to see if I could find a resolution. No dice.

What happens (and I will post demos later on) is when I shoot someone, the game flashes me (like being flashbanged) for about .5-1 second. It's not a HUGE issue if I kill them with a few shoots, but in extended firefights, I get destroyed due to the fact that if they move after my first volley of rounds, I cannot see.

I've heard other people (Blackmage's name comes to mind) saying they get this too. He blamed it on having a Radeon card (I own a ATI Radeon 3650 HD), but other people have contradicted this saying they get it with nVidia's.

Not sure what to make out of it, because I tend to not get it on other servers...

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm off to go demo this annoyance. It is the ati card but nvidia cards do it some times i know cause i used too have ati card till i got my nvidia gtx 295

Fireye
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't know if this is the same thing, but I hopped into WCS for the first time last night. Playing as a lv2 undead with vampiric whatever, my screen flashed really brightly every time I leeched some health by shooting someone. I know that ATi cards have issues with fog that nVidia ones don't:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?%20img=screen2x3j.jpg
http://www.abload.de/image.php?%20img=screen1ccsln8.jpg

The explanation from the AMD/ATi forums is:

Its because newer cards dont have support for 16bit texture dithering so the textures are 16bit instead of a dithered 32bit. The game would need to be updated to 32bit textures and shaders to work correctly.

One poster suggested that turning Catalyst A.I. on in the ATi config panel resolved the problem for them. Might be worth checking to see if that option impacts this bug for you, Xerxes.

acolyte_to_jippity
01-27-2010, 05:18 PM
i loled when i saw the "texture not found" texture on the dust2 shot

Xerxes
01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I will try the Catalyst AI thing when I get home. Would I just download it from ATI.com or would I load it off the disc that came with the card?

Fireye
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
If you rightclick on your desktop, you should see a "ATi Catalyst Control Center" option. It'll be in there, under 3d settings.

Xerxes
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I didn't install Catalyst at all. I went drivers only. Both from disc and when I updated the drivers. I tend to go minimalist when I install stuff.

Fireye
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Gotcha. It would be good to first try and download the latest drivers only version to see if that helps anything. If not, then download the Catalyst pack from ATi and play around with Catalyst A.I.

A Baby Panda
01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I've never experienced this issue, I'm running 2 ATI HD5750s in crossfire

Xerxes
02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
So I installed Catalyst AI, played with the settings. No dice. Didn't work. I'm trying to research the issue, but I am unable to pin down a resolution.

acolyte_to_jippity
02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
your comp doesn't have switchable graphics does it? no, you're probablyon a desktop

Xerxes
02-12-2010, 03:16 AM
Okay, so after some exhaustive troubleshooting (all steps followed will be relayed) here is my results.

Zilch. Couldn't fix it. No clue what's going on.

Tried another WCS server, no flashing.
Tried another server with Tracers/DMG mod (ZM server), no flashing.

Tried a different driver (Omega Drivers) and still got flashed.
Have tried different races against different races. Flashed.
Tried updating motherboard drivers. Flashed.
Tweaked EVERY SINGLE setting in both game and ATI Control Panel. Flashed.
Re-installed CS:S. Flashed.
Re-downloaded all files for WCS. Flashed.

As far as I can tell, any damage that I cause, or receive triggers me being flashed. Even enviromental damage. Every bullet, grenade, etc.

Turned off all mods as far as I could tell that I had on the server, still got flashed.

I will relay any other information if I can find it. Is there anything you can do Zero? If so, ask any information and I will grab it for you.

Rapedollar$
02-12-2010, 06:05 AM
god hates you... sorry bud...

Xerxes
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Eh, it's got to be something that happens between my card, WCS and possibly DMG mod/Tracers. So very, very difficult to pinpoint. That is why I am really hoping I could get Zero's help on this. Maybe it's just one stupid line of code.

Granted, I doubt anyone is going to pick through lines of code for me, but I'd be much appreciative. I wish I knew more code so I could do it. All I know is VB mostly.

Blackmage
02-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Don't know if this is related in any way shape or form, but when playing the dragonfly class, I get flashed whenever I use type chat, though not for shopmenu ect.

Example attached.

Update: Went through EVERY race, said something while alive and dead, only dragonfly flashed like that.

Also, another player, Arizona, has similar symptoms. He has been playing since Feb, and says that he has been flashed when shooting, and that it only occurs in this server.

maynard
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Eh, it's got to be something that happens between my card, WCS and possibly DMG mod/Tracers. So very, very difficult to pinpoint. That is why I am really hoping I could get Zero's help on this. Maybe it's just one stupid line of code.

Granted, I doubt anyone is going to pick through lines of code for me, but I'd be much appreciative. I wish I knew more code so I could do it. All I know is VB mostly.

you ever get it sorted out?

Xerxes
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I posted a new topic, in the hopes that Zero would see it. Regardless, the gist of what I said was that I haven't fixed it, but I found the issue. Basically any ability that takes effect either on-hit of an enemy, or on-hit on me FROM an enemy flashes my screen. So I can avoid it by removing those abilities.

I.e. Removing Bash if playing human or Evasion as a Night Elf.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
...yeah but then you don't have bash or evasion. most all the classes will suck if you take skills like that away

Xerxes
03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, you're telling me. Which is why I really hope Zero gets this fixed. Because more than just a few people are being effected by it.

Jeimuzu
03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I still have this happen to me. Mind linking me to the other thread?

acolyte_to_jippity
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I still have this happen to me. Mind linking me to the other thread?

...this occurs on zm?

maynard
03-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, you're telling me. Which is why I really hope Zero gets this fixed. Because more than just a few people are being effected by it.

it's nothing zero can fix as far as I know... cause your vid card is the problem.

ZERO
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Can you find a link between your hardawre configs or drivers. Everyone that is having this problem needs to start listing their gpu and driver and os. If a link there can not be found it must be an issue in their configuration.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
vista 64bit
no clue about my driver. catalyst maybe? how do i check? i looked in device manager, couldn't find anything that looked promising.

m1rado
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
ati radeon hd 3850, windows 7 64bit, catalyst 10.2 driver.

this guy seems to think it's a setting: http://warcraft-source.com/board/index.php?topic=8721.0;wap2

but it looks like that would be server-side, not user.

but, if there's people who don't get flashed when using abilities, that can't be right.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-17-2010, 11:32 PM
couldn't hurt to try. maybe that script doesn't quite work correctly with all drivers/cards eh?

lol, that means those who are getting flashed are the ones that don't have any mistakes ^_^

m1rado
03-20-2010, 02:49 PM
is there anyone who comes around often who can check this? seems like it would be incredibly simple to fix, and it's such a huge problem to me--there's hardly any race that doesn't have something that flashes you.

not only that, but it makes bind-to-use ultimates almost worthless to use. sure, you might freeze someone in place, but you've been mashing on the button for 5 seconds and you can barely see anything, especially not the lighter playermodels.

i really want to become a reserved member, but i just can't justify the expense when a. i have $0 money and b. shooting other people flashes me. <:C :violin:, i know.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-20-2010, 11:27 PM
just wait for zero to get around to it. he's on vacation and away from the servers.

we have other servers too you know. zombie mod sucksass right now, until we can tweak the zombies a bit more, but gungame and pub work beautifully...except tonight. gg is down i believe.

m1rado
03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
just wait for zero to get around to it. he's on vacation and away from the servers.

we have other servers too you know. zombie mod sucksass right now, until we can tweak the zombies a bit more, but gungame and pub work beautifully...except tonight. gg is down i believe.

aaaah, okay, thanks. i saw someone named zero in the wcs server, and assumed he was around.

problem is, i'm hopelessly addicted to wcsmod, so i'll just live on like this for now. =p

acolyte_to_jippity
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
aaaah, okay, thanks. i saw someone named zero in the wcs server, and assumed he was around.

problem is, i'm hopelessly addicted to wcsmod, so i'll just live on like this for now. =p

well, in game it's zer0<ibis>

ZERO
03-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I have yet to have this problem even on clean installs on multiple computers but they were all on nvidia cards...

A Baby Panda
03-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I have yet to have this problem even on clean installs on multiple computers but they were all on nvidia cards...

I run ATI 5000 series cards in crossfire and I've never had this problem.

m1rado
03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
going to try the next oldest catalyst driver and a generic driver and see if that makes any difference.

i wonder, do any of you who do NOT get flashed have Windows 7?

A Baby Panda
03-22-2010, 03:06 AM
going to try the next oldest catalyst driver and a generic driver and see if that makes any difference.

i wonder, do any of you who do NOT get flashed have Windows 7?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit

m1rado
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
I am running Windows 7 64 bit

i guess it's just an issue with ATI cards in general... tried it with every catalyst version from 9.8 on, flashed every time. used the driver windows installs automatically (not sure which it is, it might have been a catalyst for all i know--i couldn't start catalyst control center to check), flashed.

if nothing else, i guess i can just move to nvidia when they drop the new chipsets, but that's hoping they manage to outdo the 5000 series.
:muffy:

A Baby Panda
03-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I feel like it has t o be unrelated to the video chipset because I've never experienced this problem.

ZERO
03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
No problem in 7 32bit and 64bit or in xp 32bit.

callo
03-26-2010, 11:33 AM
i usea radeon hd 4850 with no such problems, the issue actually sounds like your muzzle flash sprite is screwy, try downloading a new one form fpsbanana and seeing if that changes anything. they have instructions on how to install it if you need them.

Swifcfer
04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
I have nothing to do with this but i remember SuperMan had this same problem for about a week and reinstalled the game. I think he fixed it why not ask him about it?

ZERO
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I already fixed this players can not have it anymore.

Jeimuzu
04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't have it last time I played. Thanks Zero.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
james, you don't play wcs?

Jewbat
08-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Zombie thread!

Anyways, this is Xerxes. I am playing on my brother's notebook, but when I get my PC back I will post to see if I still have this issue. If it's fixed, I will be so happy. =)