PDA

View Full Version : The official RATE thread

ricochet
06-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Zero,

I remember you had a good write up on the old forums about how to change rates to optimize your gaming experience.

I had to recently format my machine and lost everything.

Now my rates are messed up. Perhaps you can do a write up like this again?

I remember the commands you mentioned were:

rate
CL_updaterate
CL_cmdrate
CL_interp

I currrently hvae my rates at 50000
my cl_updaterate is at 100
my cl_cmdrate is set at 100
my cl_interp is locked for some reason at .02

Are these right? I doubt it.

CAn you or anyone else tell me what to do to optimize my rates becuase my choke is horrible. AT times it rockets up to 15 during gun fights...

Thanks!

Adam

Spaztech
06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I use rate 25000 cl_cmdrate 100 cl_updaterate 100

I think thats the most commonly used rates

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Spaztech, are you still wearing the RUS as your tag. I think not !

Spaztech
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
CO are you still a fag. I think so !

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-28-2008, 02:29 PM
CO are you still a fag. I think so !

I'd have to say the only one here that's a fag is you. Why don't you go and play tennis in your tutu with your man purse full of balls. :lmao:

Spaztech
06-28-2008, 02:54 PM
L.O.L :lmao:

ricochet
06-28-2008, 03:50 PM
now now children calm down.

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-28-2008, 04:14 PM
now now children calm down.

Ahhh blow it out your ass !!!!! :icon_mrgreen:

dutch
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
what the fuck is that thing next to your name CO

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
what the fuck is that thing next to your name CO

Its supposed to be an animated alien wacking off but I guess the animation doesnt work here.

Rapedollar$
06-28-2008, 08:17 PM
wow co... an alien jerking off...

fag...

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-28-2008, 09:21 PM
wow co... an alien jerking off...

fag...

AHHH YOU TOO !!! blow it out your ass !!!!!! lmao

ZERO
06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Actually it is the anti jerk off blocker that is doing it's job

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Actually it is the anti jerk off blocker that is doing it's job

Oh god now i have to change it now. LMAO

ricochet
06-29-2008, 08:22 AM
hey guys,

Thanks! 1 legit reply and the rest are junk!

This is a thread discussing rates :assault:

D-Monic
06-29-2008, 10:15 AM
rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100

-=NYS=- C.O.
06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
hey guys,

Thanks! 1 legit reply and the rest are junk!

This is a thread discussing rates :assault:

Here you go. Sorry.

rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100

Spaztech
07-02-2008, 02:14 AM
i get the legit answer i win:wtg:

-=NYS=- C.O.
07-02-2008, 06:16 AM
i get the legit answer i win:wtg:

You win a date with Dual ! Congrats !! :icon_mrgreen:

ManBearPig <ibis>
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
You win a date with Dual ! Congrats !! :icon_mrgreen:

He puts out on the first date, i have first hand experience. :icon_wink:

-=NYS=- C.O.
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
He puts out on the first date, i have first hand experience. :icon_wink:

What a whore. :cheer:

ZERO
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
As some of you may recall one of the lesser known rate changes I always recommended was cl_interp .02 when on a 100tick server. This is because valve said that the ideal value should be 2/cl_updaterate. However the cl_interp cvar apparently is no longer used and is replaced by cl_interp_ratio this value is the number from which cl_updaterate is divided by in order to achieve the interp. However, the default value is 1! So in other words your defult interp is off by 100% from its ideal value in poor conditions. These poor conditions occur when you receive choke. Setting the value to 1 is best for a client with a perfect connection and fps that never goes below cl_updaterate. Therefore anyone playing on any zombie server that wants good hit detection should aim for a setting of 2 while a pub player wants a setting of 1. Ideally players should change this setting based off current server choke conditions however they may wish to use a setting of 1.5 to achieve good middle ground.

For those that wonder what this does here is the easiest explanation/example of how it works in the real world:
As we know in source a moving player will see a non moving player first. Assuming all things such as ping ect constant, the non moving player will see them with a delay of cl_interp. Therefore the lower the interp the less the effect of netcode related lag and thus better hit registration. Ideally you would want interp at 0 however this is impossible to achieve. While having a low interp is good for canceling out the problem with netcode it is bad for accurately predicting what is going on. A low interp assumes that you have a high quality connection with the server. Ideally an interp of 0 could be achieved if the server and client were one in the same and false data was never propagated within the system. With the internet or even on lan the effects of packet loss or choke mean that the client must predict what it does not know. The interp setting tells the client how long of a period it needs data to predict for. Therefore at a setting of 1 for cl_interp_ratio it assumes that the client is able to get a cmd packet every time the server generates one assuming that the server tick=cl_cmdrate. If the server generates less ticks than expected or if your client receives less than it was supposed to you will receive choke relative to this amount. As a result your computer will not accurately display where a player really is on the server. If you used a cl_interp_ratio of 2 you allow yourself to lose 50% of the cmd packets and still generate an image that is equivalent to having no loss and a cl_interp_ratio of 1. However the image will be rendered on your screen in 50% the time of if cl_interp_ratio was 1.

So you can have a low interp that gives you less data to predict where clients are or you can have a high interp that gives you more data to predict where they are. You only need the prediction to compensate for inconsistency between the data on the server and the data on your client.

For those that want raw data with no explanation:
An interp of .02 =20ms delay before rendered on your screen
An interp of .01=10ms
and .1=100ms

100tick server produces a cmd packet every 10ms because it calculates player location 100 times per second.
If you miss a CMD packet at 100tick with cl_updaterate 101 and cl_cmdrate 101 and cl_interp_ratio 1:
There should be a 50% chance of incorrect data
If cl_interp_ratio was 2 then:
There should be a 25% chance of incorrect data
*Those predictions are based only on the way that 1 packet should effect the clients ability to predict.

The cost of the 100% increase in consistency by using 2 instead of 1 is a 100% increase in the delay of the image, so in the settings given above a setting of 2 vs 1 means that the player with 2 sees the image 10ms after the player using setting 1 except that their image is twice as accurate.

Sin
11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I was under the impression that in CSS the default interp value was .02?

I know in 1.6 default is .01 though. I remember in the old CAL days it was illegal to change the interp value, though. Something to do with the cal.cfg you had to execute.

Anyway, good info, Zero!