PDA

View Full Version : we should have

acolyte_to_jippity
03-12-2010, 12:02 AM
an irc thingy.

you know?

washythebreaker
03-12-2010, 07:12 AM
like when you type /irc something to call in an admin?

acolyte_to_jippity
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
like when you type /irc something to call in an admin?

no. an irc server w/ channels. you use an irc client to connect, join a channel, and chat that way. nice, clean, simple. much simpler than vent, just no voice.

hell, it's even possible to make bots that automaticaly transfer files if you request it.

ChronicVT
03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
He may be refering to something like "TeamSpeak", mIRC or other third party communcations product... I previously used TeamSpeak while playing Battlefield 1942... great for speaking to other team mates without other team knowing our plans, and it worked rather well...

However I find messaging through steam to work just fine...

acolyte_to_jippity
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
no no.

not teamspeak.

we set up an irc server..

fuck it. here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

mIRC is a specific client program you can use to interact w/ and access/chat on the irc network (and it's servers and their channels)

anex
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
What would we use it for? Just regular chat? If you wanted a chat room, you could ask Zero to implement it into the website.

I'm confused on what we could use IRC for?

loka
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
wtf uses irc anymore? Reminds me of dinosaur text chat rooms prior to ventrilo and teamspeak. The IBIS steam community has a chat room, so unless this is just for idling purposes and you want to take gaming back to like 2005 when irc and gamesurge was awesome to idle and dick around because steam and xfire were only starting to perfect chatting while gaming. Plus you would need clan admins to monitor the irc channel, and it's probably going to be too much of a hassle. Steam has pretty much defeated several big time communities from using irc anymore.

StarsMine
03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow I would have assumed you guys would have known what IRC is.
I agree we should have a channel, it would be fun and bring the community a bit closer... or start more flame wars.
Either way :wtg:

-=NYS=- C.O.
03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
.....deleted this thread.

Like Loka said...who the hell uses irc anymore ? We have steamchat or ventrilo.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
.....deleted this thread.

Like Loka said...who the hell uses irc anymore ? We have steamchat or ventrilo.

nicde job deleting this thread.

think you missed a bit though

StarsMine
03-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Yea well done on deleating the thread.

I dont really see the point of doing that, it was a fine question.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-13-2010, 07:59 PM
nys doesn't like me

Vladninja
03-14-2010, 02:28 AM

Nope he didnt miss anything... you just want one more place for your fan club to gather.... All "Real gamers" have a great IBIS Vent they can use.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Nope he didnt miss anything... you just want one more place for your fan club to gather.... All "Real gamers" have a great IBIS Vent they can use.

my fan club? hell, i got few fans. you probably know i'm not the most loved member here (at least among the clan) vent hold 15. but people don't use it. most of the time, everyone in there aren't even playing cs...aren't even ibis players.

the irc was just an idea. it'd be a place to hang. don't much care either way, just thought it might work out.

oh, and vlad, come now. i thought you above childish insults.

walterbrunswick
03-14-2010, 02:38 AM
I think this is a great idea.

I believe I already suggested that we should use IRC, but my post got lost in the rubble somewhere.

Anyway, +1 to this.

Once upon a time, I used to write mIRC scripts, including a Telnet socket relay scrip (mainly used for news relaying), and then went on to write IRC bots in Python.

Vladninja
03-14-2010, 02:49 AM
my fan club? hell, i got few fans. you probably know i'm not the most loved member here (at least among the clan) vent hold 15. but people don't use it. most of the time, everyone in there aren't even playing cs...aren't even ibis players.

the irc was just an idea. it'd be a place to hang. don't much care either way, just thought it might work out.

oh, and vlad, come now. i thought you above childish insults.

Im not insulting anyone... Im just shocked we have an IBIS Vent (that all admins help pay for) that no one uses anyways...
and honestly thats not a true statement cause Ive used it with my friends many times whn playing L4D and L4D2...
or hell anyone could have come in many a night when Zero and I have used it to discuss Server issues...

Point being there is a really great spot for all to use and people dont.. so what would adding somthing else help?

-=NYS=- C.O.
03-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Yea well done on deleating the thread.

I dont really see the point of doing that, it was a fine question.

No one deleted the thread moron. I just merely finished the sentence from the the thread topic. If it was deleted, don't you think it would have been gone in the forums ?

As for Walter, here's 50 cents and call someone who gives a shit about your irc adventures.

walterbrunswick
03-14-2010, 10:12 AM
As for Walter, here's 50 cents and call someone who gives a shit about your irc adventures.

No one in this world gives a shit now-a-days :violin:

anex
03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
we have an IBIS Vent (that all admins help pay for) that no one uses anyways...

I didn't know that my money went towards that. I thought the vent was for special people only. Does anybody even use the vent? If so ill start getting on it.

Vladninja
03-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I didn't know that my money went towards that. I thought the vent was for special people only. Does anybody even use the vent? If so ill start getting on it.

Anyone is free to use Vent.... (while most currently dont its there to use anytime!)

IP: 64.34.177.96
Port: 3426

anex
03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Bro.

-=NYS=- C.O.
03-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm going to sticky the vent info.