PDA

View Full Version : reminder

loka
03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
All cell phone numbers are being released and going public this month and you will be charged for these calls.

If you want nothing to do with this and avoid telemarketers from getting your number call the following from your cell phone: 888-382-1222

Takes about 20 seconds to do

you can also visit

https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/conf.aspx

ZERO
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks I did not know they were going to add cell numbers to public records. What is bs though is that we are still going to be fucked now b/c companies out side the us can still call u even if your on the list. Unless it removed you from the record or something.

Also do you know of any way to be unlisted from your phone as I know they do this with landlines for people who are worried about privacy.

In addation does any find it funny how crappy that website is knowing how much $$ we probably paid for it.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
...i have a pay-as-you-go track phone.

this sucks

edit: that site don't look legit at all. i'd be afraid of using it since it practically screams "phishing"

ZERO
03-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Did u get this info from an e-mail: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/business/a/cell_directory.htm

loka
03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Nah didn't get it from an email. Was actually in a company memo lol.

but i have been getting weird hang up calls from 800 numbers so I've had my number on a do not call list.

DeadEyeDeNNi$
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
All cell phone numbers are being released and going public this month and you will be charged for these calls.

If you want nothing to do with this and avoid telemarketers from getting your number call the following from your cell phone: 888-382-1222

Takes about 20 seconds to do

you can also visit

https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/conf.aspx

Thx for the heads up... Did all mine that weren't registered. Didn't know that cells were going public :/

StarsMine
03-15-2010, 06:53 PM
wait I havnt heard of this, you think this would go more public

[UA] Mos Def
03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Seems like I hear this every few months or so and I never ever put any stock into it. I have been told by many people that you can put yourself on this do not call list and blah blah, yet I have never done that, had multiple cells with multiple numbers and never had a problem. Maybe this finally is happening, but I tend not to believe it.....Keep this thread updated if you have more information, until then I shall not change anything!

Mos

Kavinsky
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
I dont think these do not call lists work anyways we get plenty of people calling us trying to sell us shit anyways.

Spasm
03-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I dont think these do not call lists work anyways we get plenty of people calling us trying to sell us shit anyways.

Yup Yup & Yup. I get them randomly on my cell phone and I am on the do not call list. Had this one company called me like 10 times a day I am not kidding. Put the number into google and it was some illegal company scurring for your credit card number and shit. They were like hello is this ... .. with a visa ending in 4353. They were trying to sell me shit directly to my card saying that I was going to win gas cards. It was a huge scam and tons of people were pissed. I told them so many times to take me off there list. I would be nice angry mean w/e they would always call. People did reverse lookup and w/e and found there address, it was fake.. Eventually they quit, mostly because I turned my cell phone off unless I wanted to use it.

DrTran
03-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Directly from the Federal Trade Commission:

The Federal Trade Commission today reiterated that despite the claims made in e-mails circulating on the Internet, consumers should not be concerned that their cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketers in the near future, and that it is not necessary to register cell phone numbers on the National Do Not Call (DNC) Registry to be protected from most telemarketing calls to cell phones.

The truth about cell phones and the DNC Registry is:

* Contrary to the e-mail, cell phone numbers are NOT being released to telemarketers, and you will NOT soon be getting telemarketing calls on your cell phone.
* There is NO deadline by which you must register your cell phone number on the Registry.
* Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.
* The national associations representing telemarketers have stated that their clients do not intend to start calling consumers’ cell phones.
* There is only ONE DNC Registry. There is no separate registry for cell phones.
* The DNC Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. You must call from the phone number that you want to register. If you register online, you must respond to a confirmation e-mail.
* While the telecommunications industry has been discussing the possibility of creating a wireless 411 directory, according to the FCC, even if a wireless 411 directory is established, most telemarketing calls to cell phones would still be illegal, regardless of whether the number is listed on the federal government’s National Do Not Call Registry.

In addition, according to the industry:

* Your number would not be included in a wireless 411 directory unless you wanted it to be (i.e., you will have to “opt-in”); and
* The wireless 411 directory would not be available in a printed, electronic, or Internet list for telemarketers. In other words, a list of numbers on the wireless 411 directory would not be made available to telemarketers.

loka
03-15-2010, 09:44 PM
I am very aware of that message that was post marked 4 years ago when they should have mentioned cell phones were not going to be public prior to introduction of the list in 2003. However, like Panda mentioned, companies have been selling information, and it just so happens they can and will sell your cell phone number. I've never gotten any 800 number calls from my house phone since we got on the list. I'm blocking my cell phone number because of the recent bullshit getting these calls, and it's post harassment IMO.

DrTran
03-15-2010, 11:06 PM
If you're taking it as harassment, sorry; I'm not intending it that way. I posted that to show that most cell phone numbers are safe; even if you don't post your number on the list.

The Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and the states are enforcing the National Do Not Call Registry. Placing your number on the registry will stop most, but not all, telemarketing calls.

From Verizon:

You should be aware that even if you add your number(s) to the federal or a state Do Not Call list, most telemarketing laws allow companies to contact their own customers.
Most phone companies allow you to get off this list too but you have to contact them from a different number (see your phone provider website to find it).

walterbrunswick
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Reminds me of our senior year Scottish high school teacher ... when telemarketers would call his house he'd start speaking jibberish Chinese to them lol

Funniest high school teacher EVER!

maynard
03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
... when telemarketers would call his house he'd start speaking jibberish Chinese to them lol

Funniest high school teacher EVER!

Lol... Nice...

any 1 know if this applies 2 Canada as well?