PDA

View Full Version : Mat_dxlevel

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
so yeah my game has been resetting its dxlevel every time I reboot CSS and I'm not sure why it would do this. Its resulted in me getting auto kicked a lot from all the ibis servers. I immediately set it to 80 after but it keeps changing back any ideas?

acolyte_to_jippity
03-30-2010, 12:03 AM
add the line to your autoexec.cfg file

ZERO
03-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Probably b/c you have the file set to read only also 80 in the min setting it really needs to be 90 ie set for direct x 9. Using anyting below direct x8 is actually a hack and if you did that in cal for example you would be banned for life.

Spasm
03-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Probably b/c you have the file set to read only also 80 in the min setting it really needs to be 90 ie set for direct x 9. Using anyting below direct x8 is actually a hack and if you did that in cal for example you would be banned for life.

I thought 80 was because of what it does to smoke and flash gernades.

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
okay, I've been looking for the file in my steam folder/css folder and I cannot see it anywhere, it isn't coming up on search either. I think I have DX 8 on this old piece of junk. on thursday that may change tho.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
ok, navigate to the following:
../steam/steamapps/<username>/counter-strike source/cstrike/cfg

then, rightclick, and create a new text document (notepad)

add the line "mat_dxlevel 80" w/out quotes

now save that file as (must be exact with this step) autoexec.cfg

there you go!

that's all there is to it.

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
ty ty

Okay I made the file exactly as you suggested and the same thing just happened

acolyte_to_jippity
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
ok, what exactly is happening? like, you say it's changing your dx level, what does it change to?

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
every time I open CSS its auto-setting my mat_dxlevel to 70

once I manually change it in console its totally fine for the rest of the session.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
hmm, ok, when you have that file i told you to make in that folder, does your console say anything about your dx level?

j!mmy_pop[KMFDM]
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
i'm having the same problem... i made the "autoexec.cfg" folder, opened it with notepad, and put in mat_dxlevel 80 but it didnt do anything

my console still reads my mat_dxlevel as 70.

EDIT: I am a complete fucktard, i put in "dx_matlevel 80" instead of "mat_dxlevel 80"..... problem fixed, for me atleast.

only thing i can say that may be wrong is that when you save the "autoexec.cfg" file make sure it's NOT "autoexec.cfg.txt" cuz that is what mine tried to do the first time

StarsMine
03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Cant you just go right click the game in steam, properties and then Launch options, I had to do this on my old laptop as the intel GMA may claim it is DX9 but it still has problems, so I set it to 8.1

When you are in there simply put -dxlevel 80 and it should work.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Cant you just go right click the game in steam, properties and then Launch options, I had to do this on my old laptop as the intel GMA may claim it is DX9 but it still has problems, so I set it to 8.1

When you are in there simply put -dxlevel 80 and it should work.

this. i completely forgot about command line launches

ZERO
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Are you sure you did not set anything in your drivers that is forcing dx7? Also when did you last update your drivers b/c dx7 is really old.

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
heh this is an old junker one of my uncles was going to trash, so I took it. I know almost nothing about whats in it. I have noticed several times on ZM that a feature is disabled because it detected DX 8 and not DX 9 like it requires.

This will prolly evolve into a whole different issue this week so I'm going to sit on it for now. Another uncle is going to put some stuff in this PC for me, so I'll wait till then. For now setting my mt_dxlevel 80 isn't that frustrating its just when I forget to do it lol

also I did what Starmine suggested and it ended with the same result.