PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Rigs

Dual
07-09-2008, 08:27 PM
These are 2 of my recent gaming rigs I Build.

D-Monic
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
nice builds yo :wtg:

ManBearPig <ibis>
07-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Im going to post mine, just got to figure out how to upload pics from my digital camera.

dutch
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Any particular reason you use the thermaltake armor case? I find that case to be unusually heavy and annoyingly hard to work with.

Nice systems though. I havn't seen any quad core GPU systems yet until this. Pretty cool.

Were you able to use the power attachments on the PSU for the video cards or did you have to use the ones that came in the boxes?

Dual
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Any particular reason you use the thermaltake armor case? I find that case to be unusually heavy and annoyingly hard to work with.

Nice systems though. I havn't seen any quad core GPU systems yet until this. Pretty cool.

Were you able to use the power attachments on the PSU for the video cards or did you have to use the ones that came in the boxes?

Actually the thermaltake case, is just as heavy as the cool master stacker 830, very roomy inside, but I love that the motherboard tray slide in a out, this is easy to work with. The PSU I uses are already ready for the new 9800Gx2 and the 280 gtx, 8 pin and 6 pin connectors.Alos the PNY 9800 gx2 don't come with psu adapter. Now I Want the QX9770!

D-Monic
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
shit i wish i could afford a core 2 extreme....im stuck with my c2duo for now:headache:

ratman
07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Those are sum sick setups :wtg:

Walter
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Are Core 2 Extremes worth getting if you're not going to overclock heavily?

Dual
07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Are Core 2 Extremes worth getting if you're not going to overclock heavily?

Yeah you can buy a lesser processor and over clock it,When you have the best processor on the block you won't need to overclock it.

dutch
07-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess I just don't like the whole motherboard tray thing. It doesn't seem all that functionally worthwhile to me.

Are you planning on replacing your 9800GX2's with 280s?

Dual
07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I guess I just don't like the whole motherboard tray thing. It doesn't seem all that functionally worthwhile to me.

Are you planning on replacing your 9800GX2's with 280s?

There not a big different, only on certain games and resolution. But I'd already got 280 gtx, but I 'll keep one of the 9800 gx2.

Walter
07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah you can buy a lesser processor and over clock it,When you have the best processor on the block you won't need to overclock it.

So does a Q9450@ 3.0GHz=QX9650@ stock speeds?

Dual
07-13-2008, 11:40 AM
So does a Q9450@ 3.0GHz=QX9650@ stock speeds?

I Think the q9450 is 2.6 is a very good processor for its prices, but it obvious that the qx9650 can be overclocked with ease.

Steamer
07-14-2008, 01:18 AM
I want a 280 GTX exclusively for Video Editing. As for gaming graphics my single 8800 GTS is performing well enough (and im too poor to get anything better xD, which isn't much).

Right now I have.
19" Hanns-G WS

Antec P-182 Case

Corsair PSU

Gigabyte DS3L MB

Q6600 Stock + Cooler (<-- =\)

XFX 8800 GTS Alpha Dog

2 Gigs G-Skill 4-4-4-12 (2 more coming soon)

I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-17-2008, 02:39 PM
God it took me forever to actually get to this. Pics of my good computer... The best one i have ever owned.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0001.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0002.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0003.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0004.jpg

Last one is my new external drive before i put it together. It looks all pretty now.

Steamer
08-17-2008, 03:30 PM
The only one I have on my PC atm that I had edited for another site...

Yea.... the stickers still on, I dont use the slots anyhow so F/I

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Idk how to get a look inside mine other than actually taking the case apart. And im not feelin that. I wish the guy that built mine had put a window in the side.

Steamer
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Take off the side panel lol... mehh... my case has acoustic dampening around it all, so if i modded a window into the side...well with 5 120 MM fans, the cpu fan, the 8800 GTS, and the HD noise i dont think I would like it to much lol...

Newer Build.....

Older sold off POS build w/window.... Notice all the HDD's? lmao

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Smoke much?

Steamer
08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Nope, Not nearly enough... lol

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-17-2008, 04:19 PM
:icon_mrgreen::lmao:

D-Monic
08-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Take off the side panel lol... mehh... my case has acoustic dampening around it all, so if i modded a window into the side...well with 5 120 MM fans, the cpu fan, the 8800 GTS, and the HD noise i dont think I would like it to much lol...

Newer Build.....

Older sold off POS build w/window.... Notice all the HDD's? lmao

yo steamer i got the same philips speakers :wtg:

ZERO
08-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Uh oh, that is not good... good thing you posted this!
http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=173&d=1219004999

This configuration is very, very bad and should be fixed asap. If you are on your computer turn it off and fix this. Read the instructions from another computer that is being actively cooled and not heated.

Now rather than explain what you did wrong I will first list the principles of a good cooling system so that we can understand what went wrong:

1) The user should take note of the location the computer is to be placed
2) The user should take note of the environment of the system
3) A system should always try to achieve a vacuum or at minimum stabilized pressure but never suction
4) Principles of fluid dynamics should take full priority in the positioning of all internal components and even the external position of the system if possible
5) Redirection and focus fans should be used to adjust the main pressure channels strength, position and heat levels; ducts can be used in rare cases
6) Recirculation should be avoided at all costs, do not generate spirals within the pressure area
7) Ensure that internal redirection and focus fans do not create any recirculation spirals
8) If unsure user is recommended to test fluid dynamics with a fog machine (have system powered off during this test, only allow the fans to run)
9) System should always have a full temp probing system to ensure that no hot spots are present and components damaged.

Hopefully it is apparent which of these you failed to do. For reference you need to have that other fan turned around as you are putting too much air and not taking enough out. Also I would bet that without this increased vacuum pressure your front intake fan is not supplying any air to your upper level components. Thus there is virtually no cooling for your ram or chipset. In addition it is likely that your back fan is recirculating the hot exit air from the top fan because of the flowing: In you case top air is redirected to the back but this would logically rise b/c it is hot so not much would be sucked by the back fan unless your under a desk but the situation is not the same for the air leaving the power supply and the gpu and the rest of the air that blows though those open slots in the back. This air will rise and will be sucked up into the back fan that then heats the cpu but more importantly the totally uncooled chipset and ram, making the system more unstable than it should be. Now it is understandable as there is no temp sensor in your ram so you could not have know that is has got to be running really hot. Just turning that fan should significantly improve your system and also adding a redirection fan to focus more air to the top part where the ram and chipset are might not be a bad idea. Most importantly I would recommend getting some probs and messing around to see what works best. :assault:

To assist I have attached an image: Red shows where the heat is being directed and white shows the path of least resistance in the case of the top section the center white line shows where the vortex will naturally generate based on theoretical molding *(this is without taking the cpu heatsink into account) and the side lines show the boundaries for the max pressure area.

* Molding the cpu fan requires higher resolution flow calculation more than I can correctly get off the top of my head. Also most of you would just get confused unless I made a lot of different colors but then trying to remember what is what would confuse you. Then I would also need to take into account the resistance of other objects and how they would reflect the air and how this would decrease overall pressure and thus the location of the channel. Regardless of these variables the overall pressure channel is still mostly impacted by the position of the two fans that were taken into account. Also I think that the point as to the problem is clearly made without needing to turn this into a lecture of fluid dynamics.

Steamer
08-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Hmm... My system is always perfectly cool, although it does get more dust build up since the fan flip. So I get what your saying is that I am putting to much of a vacum on the CPU and robing airflow. I know the hot air is getting recylced threw but for some reason it does not increase my temps at all.... (weird, I know) It didnt seem resoanable that the fan was fliped the other way and I though it would decrease air flow... Apperently I was horribly mis understood. Why are my temps not any different idle or load with the fan flip the default way? The vortex doesn't seem to be doing anything to lower temps, then again, I could have botched something and just read them all screwed up. Thanks for the advice, Ill test the temps again the way it is now, then flip and see my results as the last test I did seemed to provide no decrease in temperatures.

OH, and the speaker are GREAT, well, were until I blew them lmfao.... That extra 15 inch sub sure did push out pretty damn good off the box lmfao, but then my daughter was playing under the desk and put the wires together without me noticing... lol... I haven't done another stupid thing like that since lol.

Chipset/Ram/Internal - Good temps, dont know exact but I can tell there all good.

HDD'S - All ~ 31c

GPU - 50c

CPU-
1 - 39c
2 - 37c
3 - 40c
4 - 37c

Going to turn the rear fan around and check again after boot.

Steamer
08-18-2008, 03:27 AM
Holy hell did I mis interpret the last test I did wrong. Thank you very very much ZERO, Didn't know what I did could effect the temps so much. 2-3c decrease in all temps and airflow seems to be more even. The Individual core temps even seem to be more stable.

Temp atm.

Chipset/Ram/Interanl - Can feel a slight difference in cooling after a burn and idle.

HDD's All ~ 29c-30c

GPU - ~ 45c

CPU-
1 - 37c
2 - 35c
3 - 37c
4 - 35c

All ambient temps are down as well. No difference in house temp. All by turning a fan... XD

As for what was apparent I relized....

3) A system should always try to achieve a vacuum or at minimum stabilized pressure but never suction
5) Redirection and focus fans should be used to adjust the main pressure channels strength, position and heat levels; ducts can be used in rare cases
7) Ensure that internal redirection and focus fans do not create any recirculation spirals

I wonder.... I could probably OC my GC even a bit higher for some benches before I return them back to stock because of the fixed stupidity you pointed out to me lmao. I wont be so misjudging of incorrect circulation/vacum/pressure the next time around. What do you think about adding another 120mm fan were the provided clips are in front of the front air intake (basically doubling them up). Would pushing more air in threw the front intake be a bad idea or just no point? Some things I do on my PC use all available resources and it doesn't sound like a bad idea to add the fan but I dont know too much about fans and how they effect the entire system (as you probably already figured out lol).:banghead:

After another test, temp rise slope is even better and far more even. Thanks a lot for the tip. :wtg:

Nvidia should really make a driver set that can dynamicaly lower the clock when not in use for gaming or applications like they do on the 200 series, I get it wouldn't be as great but it would scratch the need for 3rd party apps. Meh, guess they think its one less thing they have to worry about since its on old tech.

You seem to know an extential amount of information about many different types of tech and topics/happenings... what the hell do you do with all your free time? lmao...

ZERO
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
I think that focusing more airflow toward the ram would increase performance b/c they have limited cooling. That would do more than adding an extra intake. Remember that you want to take out more than you put in and that at minimum you should take in as much as you put out. If you were to spend any actual money though I would upgrade you cpu heat sink. Also if you wanted to really OC your gpu I would recommend upgrading all your fans to higher output ones first. My setup has a 22% gpu OC and a 17% memory OC all with stock heatsink and only air cooling on it.

Satansof2
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
man my case is a old one, it looks terrible lol, but my specs on it is:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
RAM: Kingston DDR 800 2048.6 Mb
V/Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
DX Ver: 9.0c
Mainboard: M61SME-S2 Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
O/S: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3.0
HDD: 426 GB / 848 GB (49.7% Free)

Steamer
08-19-2008, 05:11 AM
From my understanding of air flow (could be wrong), stacking another in front I would still be taking out more air but providing a bit more flow to the ram/chipset from the clip on fan.

Also the fans I have in my case are Antec Tri-Cool's (top compartment running all full powered, Lower compartment fans at medium) and the front intake is a high adjustable rpm rosewill. I was gonna get a reaper but the prices are pretty high. Here is a pic of the gpu clock (stable) before I fixed the cooling.

The specs from Antec on fans are.
RPM 1200 1600 2000
CFM 39 56 79
dBA 25 28 30

Rosewill Front Adjustable Intake.
Rosewill RFX120
43.5 to 87.5CFM at 1200-2200RPM

From what I have read around, the 8800 GTS doesn't have that great of a memory overclock potential, but the shader and core can go pretty far. Something like a 27% max on core, and around the same on the shader.

mkII
08-20-2008, 10:28 PM
God it took me forever to actually get to this. Pics of my good computer... The best one i have ever owned.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0001.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0002.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0003.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/manbearpig101/PICT0004.jpg

Last one is my new external drive before i put it together. It looks all pretty now.

Nice keyboard/mouse.

Dual
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I See the box of tissues, what happen you use up all the lotion!

Steamer
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
^ :lmao: Nice one.

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Dont you remember? We used it all up the last time you visited and had that sexy naked party!

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2600 Mhz
2 logical processors
1 physical processors

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Sound card:
Audio device: Realtek AC97 Audio

Memory:
RAM: 511 Mb

How shitty is this computer? Its my crappy one and it cannot even play DOD:S, CS:S is really slow and crappy. I cannot even play warcraft 3! Is there anything i can do to fix this without costing me anything?

Steamer
08-28-2008, 01:15 AM
Upgrade the Video Card and add a bit more RAM. Cheap quick temp fix.

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-28-2008, 01:24 AM
I dont know if i will do it if i have to spend money. Im only going to be using this computer for one more year, then ill be on my good computer for the rest of my life. I only use this one because i live at 2 houses and i dont want to carry a desktop around. So i use this old one for internet and crappy games. If i upgrade anything it will be my good one with an even better video card.

eth
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
http://www.nivlam.com/images/setup.jpg

apevia x-jupiter jr with 250mm side fan
intel e6750
2x seagate barracuda 750gb
evga nforce 680i
4gb mushkin pc6400
geforce 8800gt

I've had this for about a year and plan to keep it for another year or so before I sell it and build another. My good keyboard broke a few weeks ago, so I'm stuck with a Dell OEM keyboard until I stop being lazy and buy a new one.

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Get the G15 keyboard, its really fucking nice. Do you like your G5 mouse? Im going to get one also. I also eventually want dual screen, but i dont know if my computer can handle it.

eth
08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Get the G15 keyboard, its really fucking nice. Do you like your G5 mouse? Im going to get one also. I also eventually want dual screen, but i dont know if my computer can handle it.

Last time I checked out a G15, it was huge with all the side keys and everything. I have no doubt that it's a great keyboard, but I'm not sure if I want to buy such a large keyboard.

The G5 is by far the best mouse I've ever had. Razer Viper, Razer Copperhead (returned cause it was too big), MX518, and Razer Krait are all gaming-grade mouse that I've owned. I didn't like the Razers because the clicking mechanism broke after a year. The MX518, which had a plastic shell, always collected "gunk" and oil from regular use. The G5 is textured a little different and feels almost like a cloth mousepad. It was a little weird at first, but I've gotten used it. The customizable weight system is a nice feature for people that like a heavy mouse. I personally removed all the weights because I like to hold a light, agile mouse. With 2000 DPI under its belt, I have experienced no skippage or negative movement whatsoever. The older Razer Viper with 1000 DPI would skip and/or do negative movement whenever I moved too fast. Having nine buttons is a nice deal also. I have different buy scripts bound to different buttons.

I'm contemplating whether to buy another 8800GT and add a third monitor. At work, I use three monitors so I'm kinda spoiled with all my monitors :-p

But if you are really looking to buy a new mouse, definitely go for the G5.

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-28-2008, 06:32 PM
They redid the G15 keyboard. They saw that people thought it was way to big for a under desk drawer. Its got the same number of macro keys but they put it into different sections before it was GK (G Key) 1-18. Now its GK A1-6, B1-6, C1-6. So there are three rows, you just have to alternate which row is activated. Its a lot smaller and they made the LCD screen set instead of movable. Its by far the best keyboard i have ever used. Its really hard to even find the old one now. Best place to buy it is New Egg. Link below.

G15 Keyboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126034)

Steamer
08-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Im gonna get a G9 one of theese days.....

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Why would you want a fucking G9? It looks like it would suck in your hand. Like dragging a big block of wood covered in sand paper across your desk.

+Project.S+
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
The G9 is the best mouse ever. Hands down.

Seriously MBP you'd fall in love

Steamer
08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Because I used my uncles and it made me stain my pants.

Hands down the best mouse ever... despite its looks its actually very very comfortable. Also 3200 DPI :wtg:

eth
08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I thought about getting the G9. But at the time I bought my G5, the G9 was double the price of the G5. Didn't seem to be worth it to me at the time.

ManBearPig <ibis>
08-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I have pretty big hands, so i dont think it would be very good for me. The G5 is at least nearly long enough to be comfortable to me. I think the G9 would be to short and i would have to curl my fingers over the edge.

+Project.S+
08-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Ive played with the G9 its amazing. At first i thought it was too big but nooo way. I have a razr lachesis now and it doesn't even compare to the g9.

Steamer
08-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Hell, Even if you compare a G5 to the G9 is almost feels like Night and Day.

D-Monic
08-30-2008, 01:14 AM
G5 FTW :icon_mrgreen:

+Project.S+
08-30-2008, 03:42 PM
but you wish you had a g9, i've heard you say it :P

mirdot
08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/DSC000001.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/DSC00025.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/DSC000202.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/DSC00026.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/DSC00027.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/DSC00028.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/ComputerScrShot1.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/mirdot/ComputerScrShot2.jpg

I have the G9 and I love it, I have the Antec 1200 Full Tower Case :P, and 1000w of unnecessary power. All that's left to get is an L-Shaped Desk and a new chair and I'm set.

MUHAHAHAHHAAHHA

Dual
08-30-2008, 04:07 PM
You see manbearpig he doesn't take pictures with the bottle of lotion on his desk. :)

-=NYS=- C.O.
08-31-2008, 08:02 AM

LMAO !!!!!! :lmao:

Walter
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm going to build a new PC shortly so I want to get the Thermalright Ultra 120 but newegg.com hasn't had it in stock for at least a month. Where's a good place to get this? Any other heat sinks I could look into?

Steamer
09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
TigerDirect.com

If your looking for the best of the best....

Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer
The Ultra 120 Extreme w/a Scythe or Nuctua fan.
3Rsystem Iceage 120
Coolermaster Hyper 212

IMO the Tuniq Tower 120 wich comes with an adjsutable fan and is pretty damn good. Attaches secure but it is big. Couple celcious below the Ulta but it's only ~45$

Really though threes are questions you have to ask yourself.

How much noise can you bear?
Do you want maximum cooling?
Does size matter?
Are you going to Overclock?

Look at this Chart/Site http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2271&page=5
You can look for yourself on thermal ratings/noise /size for comaprison of what you need

Walter
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't see the Thermalright Ultra 120 on Tigerdirect. I was really hoping to get it.
Not sure how much I'll be overclocking. I got the Q9550.
The Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer looks good. How loud can it possibly be?

Steamer
09-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Look at the decibles, that should tell you. I'm not sure myself.

Haven't found the need to OC my Q6600 yet, + im on stock cooling.

Walter
09-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm not sure what 50 decibels is going to sound like though. Is there anything common that is close to that?

Steamer
09-06-2008, 02:46 AM
A jet engine?

Really though, my Antec Tri-Cool fans run and 30db max speed and you can hear it with the tv off or no sound . At low 25 db I can barely here anything. The CPU noise will be muffled a bit by the case. You'll probly here it pretty good, then again if your not gaming you can lower the speed manually or just leave it automatic and it will lower. You'll be hearing game sounds anyhow so it shouldn't matter much.

Hell I leave all 4 (x30db) of my 120 MM fans running @ 100% + the CPU Fan (stock) @ 100%. The "white noise" doesn't really bother me or make enough sound to interfere with my Television or Music. My case has acoustic dampening (Antec-P182) so the 50db fan wouldn't be quite so much. I probably wouldn't notice it much at all.

ZERO
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
The loudest thing in my media center is the hard drive.

whytboiz33
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM

lmao thats crusty. nasty ass