PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to watch anime...

Spasm
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
I have never really found one to sit down and watch, what is a good anime to start with??? Maybe DBZ if thats an anime, I have watched that, when I was younger.

Edit: Just so you know, I always lose interest in them pretty quickly, just never attracts me.

StarsMine
04-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes DBZ is one. 1989-1996 :o

Help us help you, What kind of shows are you usually into? Chick flicks? Action? Drama?

demonater10
04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I have never really found one to sit down and watch, what is a good anime to start with??? Maybe DBZ if thats an anime, I have watched that, when I was younger.

Edit: Just so you know, I always lose interest in them pretty quickly, just never attracts me.
I can convince you to not watch anime and watch The Office instead.

Rapedollar$
04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Elfin leid! Awesome

acolyte_to_jippity
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Elfin leid! Awesome

not for a first timer, for fucks sake rape, could you have picked a heavier series?

ok, yeah, evangelion would be an even worse choice for a first timer (even though is kicks more ass than you could possibly imagine)

hmm, like someone said dude, it depends on your preferences. if you're into action, bleach, gundam seed, gundam wing, kaze no stigma, or gunXsword are all good starting points. comedy, romance, etc... i'm not too familiar with myself, i'm more of an action-mecha anime guy myself.

Kavinsky
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Sounds like Sgt frog would be right up your alley if you just want something fun.

DO NOT WATCH Evangelon or Efien Lied, far too thick for anyone who doesnt like to be beat over the head with freudian shit, gore and tits

Frankly my personal favorates are Black Lagoon and Baccano!

but there not really the gateway kinda shows but sgt frog certainly is
and its far more interesting that bleach, naruto or FMA which just wont die.

BkGF-PnjvhI

and demo10 fuck off already.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-28-2010, 09:40 PM
naruto sucks, but bleach and fma (the real one, based entirely off of the manga) kick ass. and that's what i said about eva and elfen leid. they both kick so much ass it's hard to describe, but are way way too heavy for an anime virgin. akira's too heavy as well.

StarsMine
04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
naruto sucks, but bleach and fma (the real one, based entirely off of the manga) kick ass. and that's what i said about eva and elfen leid. they both kick so much ass it's hard to describe, but are way way too heavy for an anime virgin. akira's too heavy as well.

Yet Akira was the gateway for anime in the US. :wtg:
Although I agree it might be to heavy.

For Movies, you cant go wrong with Ghost in the shell, you can watch the 95 version of 2.0, its the same movie just with improved CGI.

Jeimuzu
04-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Samurai Champloo.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
got it!

i just rememberd a bunch, thanks to james' post in the other topic

wolf's rain, trinity blood, claymore, outlaw star, and hellsing.

out of those, hellsing and outlaw star the best bet to start. they're the most "western" out of them (i.e. most like normal american cartoons)

hellsing, a vampire alucard works for a family of knights in modern day england, hunting his own kind. once yu watch this, you'll laugh yourself to tears every time someone mentions twilight. this is a real vampire, not some sparkley fairy.

outlaw star...if i had to explain it...imagine making a cartoon of firefly, adding two arms onto serenity that hold weapons for ship-to-ship combat, and a catgirl. that's basically outlaw star. amazing amazing amazing series

Spasm
04-28-2010, 11:42 PM
def action based, i dont think i could see myself watching comedy anime.

StarsMine
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM

oh man I love comedy :icon_mrgreen:
Samurai champloo like James said is a mix of both.

Other good shows in the action, with out to much comedy genre
08th Ms team
Canaan
Hellsing OVA
Lupin the III if your into old cartoons, but has a lot of comedy.
Ghost in the shell also have some good action in them, just look at the amvs in my top ten

Avoid watching anime on Youtube though, either download it or find better streams from places like Hulu or veoh, or buy them, but considering this would be your first steps I doubt youd want to do that. try to avoid the bootlegs like what Loka put up <.<

loka
04-28-2010, 11:56 PM

My first anime was Berserk. If you know whats good for you, you will watch Berserk. UTE can testify to that.

http://www.animeniacs.com/item/DVD0018.html

Spasm
04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Going to watch some tomorrow btw, since my desktop is down, all I got is my old ass laptop, and now lots of free time lol

XX0wnsXY
04-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't really think it's "anime", but I never thought I would like anything even remotely close.. but Death Note is a great animated series. Check it out. It's about a notebook that can kill by simply writing someones name, time of death, and way of death. It normally belongs to the death gods, however one of them drops it into the human realm and human boy finds it...and there are all kinds of twists and turns. Really really good.

It started out as manga.

Kavinsky
04-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Yeah but by the second season it got stupid, sgt frog is both comedy and action by the way

if your looking for pure action Black Lagoons a pretty good choice.

loka
04-29-2010, 03:12 AM
It started out as manga.

Most anime started out as mangas. Anime nerds prefer to read the mangas since they add more to the story where as animes might cut information (small or big) from the story line. For example, Berserk stops at 25 episodes, but the manga continues. I don't know WHY they did this, but its enough to piss you off and want to go look at the manga to continue the story.

Rapedollar$
04-29-2010, 03:30 AM
hey fuck you loka. manga>anime. you get so much more of the story without all the sidetrack bullshit of whatever network is airing the series.

loka
04-29-2010, 04:01 AM
hey fuck you loka. manga>anime. you get so much more of the story without all the sidetrack bullshit of whatever network is airing the series.

hey! i didn't say i don't like mangas. i was just pissed cause i was like "wtf thats it?" and this particular one is rare to find in the US cause Darkhorse rarely publishes them and you can only find them online for $$$$. I read the Bleach mangas since they also neglect info and then watch them. :P

Rapedollar$
04-29-2010, 04:20 AM
come on loka, its the internet. you can find anything you dream of here...

acolyte_to_jippity
04-29-2010, 07:20 AM
use animeseason.com

ZERO
04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
If you wanted something action based then see:
Ga-Rei Zero

Here is what I would recommend in general to someone new. Any of these you should be able to watch however you should look up some info and see if that is the type of series you would enjoy.

Afro Samurai -Action
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu -Comedy
Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion -Action (fan serv may drag it out in parts)
Cowboy Bebop -Action
Death Note -Drama, this is a slow series watch if you just enjoy suspense and intellectual conflict.
Eden of the East -Action, Drama, some romance this is highly recommended.
Ghost in the Shell -Action
Initial D -Drifting
K-on! -School Band Comedy
Last Exile -If you like fantastic and action this has a good story and is very enjoyable.
Maburaho -Magic and boobs? Romantic Comedy
Samurai 7 -Anime version of the famous movie 7 Samurai

I LIKE TURTLES
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
spasm just start with something simple. go to www.hentai.com

just kidding.

message me on steam and i'll give you some suggestions.

StarsMine
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
hey! i didn't say i don't like mangas. i was just pissed cause i was like "wtf thats it?" and this particular one is rare to find in the US cause Darkhorse rarely publishes them and you can only find them online for $$$$.

That may be so, but buying bootleg is worse then pirating it.
You waist money on shitty quality and none of it goes to the people who made it.

RamenPoodle
04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
For a generally good mystery/WTF series, I will always recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro ni to anyone. If you don't have a problem with cute girls dismembering each other, alleged demonic activity, mind-bending time loops, and overall creepy style and direction, you will most likely enjoy it. It's known as When They Cry here in the states.

Otherwise, if you're looking for a story that is just fun to watch, why not give some anime movies a try? Akira has been mentioned, but I'm thinking more along the lines of pleasant and non-apocalyptic. If you would like an innocent but fun and artsy romantic tale, try Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time), Summer Wars, 5 centimeters per second, and The Place Promised In Our Early Days.

If you're looking for mainstream anime movies that you can guarantee most anime fans have seen, try a Hayao Miyazaki movie. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away will do nicely.

I've turned a lot of my friends into fans of anime over the years, and I usually start them off with Shakugan no Shana. It goes well at least 70% of the time. XD

AnHero
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
along with Shakugan no Shana

Zero no Tsukaima, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Kanon are pretty godo starter series

ZnT = pretty good Harem series to start
Haruhi = ....ummm Haruhi is in its own category
Kanon = Really Kanon, Clannad, Sola, Air, Munto, etc anything done by Kyoto animation is a good thing to impress people and get them on anime

Personally i got hooked on anime through Kanon, i thought it was absolutely amazing

mastercheff
04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Elfin leid! Awesome

My god are you fucking serious? I watched that and i'm scared to pick it back up again..

AnHero
04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
My god are you fucking serious? I watched that and i'm scared to pick it back up again..

Elfen Lied is great if you like obsessive gore throughout the series

if you like the characters from Elfen lied however, the Author Okamoto Lynn did some pretty amazing manga series as well

Allumage is absolutely one of the most impressive one-shots ive ever read
and i know for sure the author is doing a series on ski jumping that is really impressive called Nononono

Im reading each new chapter obsessively and its really good stuff

(Edit) forgot to link his profile
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=27513

StarsMine
04-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Elfen Lied is great if you like obsessive gore throughout the series

if you like the characters from Elfen lied however, the Author Okamoto Lynn did some pretty amazing manga series as well

I think I should tell you that master is only 13 years old, youngest guy here.

As we said before that show would be to heavy for a first timer and would put alot of people off

Rapedollar$
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
blood, gore, death, and destruction> childhood bs.

hurry up and grow up chef!

ZERO
04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
along with Shakugan no Shana

Zero no Tsukaima, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Kanon are pretty godo starter series

ZnT = pretty good Harem series to start
Haruhi = ....ummm Haruhi is in its own category
Kanon = Really Kanon, Clannad, Sola, Air, Munto, etc anything done by Kyoto animation is a good thing to impress people and get them on anime

These could be good for him if he duck-taped his head in advance becuase it will explode if he was to watch any of these coming from DBZ. As for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya he might be better off with neon genesis at least then he would be able to understand the general idea of what is going on with out blowing his head off. Just think could you imagine if the first story someone ever red was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, yea they would not be able to read anything again except for the sequel books. Someone that has not been exposed to thinking of that magnitude needs to watch something else first.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-29-2010, 07:41 PM
...do i detect an insult towards evangelion in there?

ZERO
04-29-2010, 07:49 PM
No I was stating that a regular person could watch that and think that it is just about robots. So in a way they would be able to go though it without having their mind blow out.

RamenPoodle
04-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Spasm, tell us what you decide on eventually! Personally I say go for Shana! ^^

Then after Shana you can probably go with several things at this point (which are all coincidentally by the same studio, JC Staff):

To Aru Majutsu no Index http://myanimelist.net/anime/4654/Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index

OR

Toradora! http://myanimelist.net/anime/4224/Toradora!

Toradora! is my favorite romantic comedy. I could write a paper on that damn series.

Index is good after Shana. Do Index first, and then Toradora. If you find yourself enjoying Shana and Taiga's personalities, then you are probably a fan of tsundere girls (girls that hide their true feelings under a veil of malice and spite). If that is the case, continue with Zero no Tsukaima to form what we call the JC Staff Tsundere Triumvirate (Shana, Taiga, Louise).

The Shana-Index combo is a good way to get the anime experience without having to venture into Naruto/Bleach territory, though. And it is totally understandable if you want to avoid that territory. Totally understandable.

And from THERE, if you decide you like JC Staff's stuff, you can go for Hayate the Combat Butler, which is hilarious, or Excel Saga, which is, well, Excel Saga.
There are many others that they have done. Go exploring and see what you can find! :D

ZERO
04-29-2010, 10:20 PM
I still think Eden of the East would be best as it is not relay long and a moves at a nice speed so he is not able to lose interest.

XX0wnsXY
04-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Detroit Metal City

LMFAO

Kidding.

Don't watch that at first..it's a WTF.

XxMastagunzxX
04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Neon genesis is shit...there I said it.

RamenPoodle
04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Detroit Metal City

LMFAO

Kidding.

Don't watch that at first..it's a WTF.

But Krauser-tan...! And the raping of the bitch-pigs...!

C'mon, man, it's classic stuff! XD

Actually, I got my metal-obsessed brother back into anime with DMC. So it might work on metalheads...

And you liked Eden, eh, ZERO? Well, it's a fantastic series so that's to be expected, even if when you watch it nonstop with no break until 7 AM, right? XD

StarsMine
04-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Eden of the east has an awesome first episode and the best opining and closing theme I have ever seen.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Neon genesis is shit...there I said it.

masta, if i ever meet you in person, i'll kill you.

Xerenix
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I still think Eden of the East would be best as it is not relay long and a moves at a nice speed so he is not able to lose interest.

I agree with Zero.

Eden of the East would be a good anime for you.

Spasm
05-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Well I have tried watching these on my gf's laptop... Fail, this thing lags during movies lol, too old, going to have to wait on my RMA parts to get back

AnHero
05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
also girls dig guys who watch anime

the higher your powerlevel (amount you have watched), the more you get laid with models

scouts promise~

StarsMine
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM

the higher your powerlevel (amount you have watched), the more you get laid with models

scouts promise~
Dude, where are my 3d glasses when I need them

RamenPoodle
05-15-2010, 02:06 PM

scouts promise~

trollface.jpg

Schnacky
06-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Elfin leid! Awesome

Its Elfen Lied! It is a great anime, just not for beginners.

If you liked DBZ, but got sick of how long it is, watch Dragon Ball Kai. Its DBZ recut to be shorter and closer to the original manga. In 60 episodes we are at the android saga instead of like episode 160 in DBZ.

Otherwise I'd say for starters try animes like Area 88, Beck, Speed Grapher, Noir. Then eventually move up to Trinity Blood, Elfen Lied, Wolf's Rain, Gundam 00, Akira, and Gunslinger Girl.

A good site to watch anime and cartoons is http://www.anilinkz.com/

RamenPoodle
06-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Actually, try Genshiken. It's a series for people who don't like anime and for people who love it. About the daily life of a college anime club. And it's absolutely brilliant.