PDA

View Full Version : New CSS beta coming soon..

-=NYS=- C.O.
05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Counter-Strike: Source Beta Coming! Updated to Latest Public Source Build
posted by xXx-MayheM-xXx @ 01:59PM on May 10, 2010
Since everyone so kindly asked about what this "big news" is, here you go. There's something to remember with this. This has not been officially announced yet nor is it guaranteed to happen, or to happen as soon as we all hope it will. Before you "complain" about how this is labeled as a rumor (this part is especially important to non-Counter-Strike Source focused communitiy members reading this), be sure to READ the entire post to see what is factually known and what is speculation. With that said, here we go.

Valve will soon release a beta opportunity for Counter-Strike: Source. This beta allegedly includes a major overhaul to the game, specifically when it comes to the use of the Source engine. At present it is assumed that this beta will find Counter-Strike: Source running on the latest build of the engine but there are no guarantees on this. Previously, it was mentioned that Valve was working on bringing the game to the Orange Box build of Source, but that has come and gone and with Left 4 Dead 2 being the latest build of the engine, it is quite possible we will see Counter-Strike on this build. Again, no guarantees at this.

Based on a new forum section that was briefly visible on the official Steampowered Forums, there will be a Counter-Strike: Source beta (was simply called "CS: Source Beta"). That forum has since been hidden deep within the halls of SPUF. We're sure it will reveal itself once Valve is ready to proceed with this beta if, again, it actually happens. This forum was visible late last week for only a brief period of time. This is why it was expected that we would see an official announcement about this news late last week but it was simply not meant to be just yet.

Right now, it's also not known for sure what changes to the gameplay will be included, if any at all. Let's face it, the Counter-Strike community and the word "change" don't exactly go hand in hand. As with all beta releases, it is entirely possible we will see many significant bug fixes and updates for old issues, but entirely new issues may also pop up as a result of any number of factors.

Depending on the scope of this update, it may not include the graphical overhaul, or it may not include any changes outside of a graphical update, or it may actually contain both. It may just be a number of bug fixes and optimizations to the existing game. Remember, we have not heard publicly much about this fabled updated to Counter-Strike: Source for a number of years now.

This is a bit of a reason why we sort of wanted to sit on this news because outside of a few whispers here and there, nothing has been officially announced on this. Again, it may not happen at all. However, if or when it does happen, it should certainly light a fire under some of you to get back into the game that spawned this site in the first place.

There is a strong possibility of a CS: Source beta coming very soon. The exact nature of this update is not yet known but it is speculated that the update will include a major update to the version of the Source engine compared to what the game currently runs on.

We will simply need to wait and see as to what actually happens next. And yes, for now this is going to be labeled a "rumor" just in case Valve decides to up and change their minds on this. Either way, this should serve to be some fantastic news to Counter-Strike Source fans.

xXx-MayheM-xXx

acolyte_to_jippity
05-10-2010, 01:16 PM
...this is gonna fuck w/ the mods and plugins servers use right?

i'm not sure i like this. besides, most "bugs" they'd likely fix are almost a staple of css.

ZERO
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, if it is an engine update it will break every mod the servers currently run. For popular things this could be fine but some stuff like wcs could be permanently broken. Also much of our custom hacks/scripts may be broken.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
:sniff:

no...

oh, btw zero, that matrix map you added isn't showing up in maplist, and you have to remove dust_3 until the ceiling can be fixed (currently, it's non-existant)

maynard
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
some stuff like wcs could be permanently broken.

...........................................:mini triste:

Spasm
05-10-2010, 03:49 PM

now thats a real sad face :|

mastercheff
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM

And the lord said go ZM.

Rapedollar$
05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
wcs>zm. maybe zm will die and wcs will live on? we can only hope...

Fireye
05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Depends on the new engine, and if the mod is still actively maintained. It seems that WCS has a number of coders, but maybe not one central person to organize it all. ZombieMod saw a release last year, and the main developer for it appears to be posting on their foum every once in a while. I'd bank on ZM being updated before WCS, but I'm not intimately familiar with either project.

Manimod is updated for use with TF2, which uses the orange box engine, so it should be easily adaptable to the new CS:S beta.

Kavinsky
05-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Well that'd be the third thing they've fucked up if they do, do it and to one of their most popular games too.

To say the least its a very, VERY BAD IDEA.

However making it a separate game called CS:S 07 wouldn't be.

-=NYS=- C.O.
05-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Well that'd be the third thing they've fucked up if they do, do it and to one of their most popular games too.

To say the least its a very, VERY BAD IDEA.

However making it a separate game called CS:S 07 wouldn't be.

I would agree if its changed to a newer engine. More than likely that would be the case. All I'm saying its been long overdue.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-10-2010, 07:18 PM

amen.

maynard
05-10-2010, 11:00 PM

Damn strait:wtg:

I LIKE TURTLES
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
It doesn't matter what engine they choose to run source on... the end result will always be the same -----> me dropping dueces on your faces :icon_mrgreen:

Fireye
05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, it's official, there's a new beta. They had open signups, and it apparently filled up. Fuck!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/260/

Press release:

Available immediately, Valve has launched an extensive update to Counter-Strike: Source, now in beta.

The update includes a host of new features and functionality developed in collaboration with Hidden Path Studios. These include 144 new achievements, a new domination and revenge system, player stats, and more.

This beta will run for a limited time, and once complete, the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.

Server admins may download the dedicated server files via the HLDSUpdateTool using "-game cssbeta" in the command line.

Fireye
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Here's the first video I've seen of ingame stuff pop up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpmedTpYtPA

The new buy menu looks exactly the same as the one in CS:S currently to me, maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: New pics taken by someone on the steam forums:
Scoreboard - http://img179.imageshack.us/i/hl22010051116511310.jpg/
Motion Blur - http://img641.imageshack.us/i/hl22010051116510621.jpg/
How dust looks - http://img22.imageshack.us/i/hl22010051116521228.jpg/

Jeimuzu
05-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Here's the first video I've seen of ingame stuff pop up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpmedTpYtPA

Looks... Exactly the same.. Like literally, I can't tell the difference (Cept more laggy). Why don't they spend time on something that matters more?.. Like new weapons.. Or bringing the Radial Menu back to L4D2.. Or not killing WCS and ZM..

WCS>Most of the people playing ZM.

Back in the good ol' days ZM was insanely fun. Great people, players, and admins. But is WCS better than ZM? that has to do with preferences. If ZM ceased to exist, I probably would too. Do you really want that to happen?

-=NYS=- C.O.
05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Why does it look the same ? I thought it was going to have a new engine.

Fireye
05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
The only visible difference I've seen in the videos on youtube is the the lighting seems more dynamic. Flashlights are better, etc.

New engine != new look. All the assets are the same, they're just porting it to the Orange Box engine so it can run in OpenGL, on OSX.

Valheru
05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I'd put my money on it being a behind-the-scenes update and not grapical, which doesn't bother me one little bit.
We can only hope it doesn't break the mods, you'd have A LOT of people raging.
That is, unless they release it as a seperate game. ;)

EDIT: Just noticed there was a video that was posted...
Looks like it's not a cosmetic update, no new graphics, but I really like the idea of achievements finally coming to CSS

Jeimuzu
05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
There were already mods that added achievements..

-=NYS=- C.O.
05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Here are a few words from Valves Co-Founder Gabe Newell about Counter-Strike 2 in an interview with GameTrailers TV. After you read below I think you will agree its time for us Counter-Strike Source players to step up to the plate and send a message to Gabe Newell as well as take him up on some of the challenges he handed us, just read below and I think you will see where we as a community need to go with this!
“Gabe”
"I just don't think that [Counter-Strike 2] would be a good fit [with Half-Life Episode 3]," added Valve co-founder Gabe Newell, noting that the potential game would be a stand-alone product in his eyes.
As expected, the only thing confirmed about Counter-Strike 2 is that there is no Counter-Strike 2. However, Newell says that an e-mail to him with an "ordered list" of what sequels you want most may sway them. He personally would like to see a Portal 2 before a Counter-Strike 2. Newell closed with a dangerous challenge: "But if I get 15,000 emails from customers in response to this interview telling me 'Of course it should be in [the next Orange Box],' then of course we'll pay attention to that."
So, that being read lets send the man some email’s :) [email protected]
Valve could once more make Counter-Strike the foremost on-line game.

There is little more frustrating to the public than seeing a good idea badly executed. But it is something that competitive players of Counter-Strike: Source will already be able to tell you about at length should you wish to sit down and endure it.

The Counter-Strike format is two teams, both with their own set of goals, pitted against each other to complete them with a variety of weapons and tactics at their disposal, all set to a time limit.

The basic principles take seconds to learn, but the game itself can take the best part of a lifetime to master.

Counter Strike, still one of the most played games around the world
The best competitive 1.6 matches have attracted live audiences of tens of thousands, being spectated by hundreds of thousands worldwide and it didn't take long for CS:S to become the free gaming mod with the most number of players.

The Source of all the trouble:
Yet it is no secret that the port of Counter-Strike on to the Source engine brought about numerous problems, not the least of which was the huge divide in the competitive community.

There were numerous reasons for this and even though those that took the time to perfect Counter-Strike 1.6 would tell you it is simply that the newer version is a worse game that requires less skill – an argument that contains more than a grain of truth – the fact is that they are so very different it meant that in a lot of cases the only thing players would be bringing across with them would be their reputations.

As such there is no correlation between being hugely successful at 1.6 and Source.

maynard
05-11-2010, 08:28 PM
portal 2 ftw.

Kavinsky
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM
It's official sadly:
http://www.halflife2.net/

Already rasing hell about it:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264289

Kavinsky
05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Update: a few vids have been posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2lBIw9ctLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLVe_IW6L-Y

Anyone else think it looks too easy and the tf2 stuff fits about as well as a speedlimiter to 70 mph in a ferrari?

Fireye
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Speed has to be a bug, and the deathcam thing is a client variable that you can turn off. I'm willing to bet that in-game achievement displays will be toggleable too.

Kavinsky
05-11-2010, 11:31 PM
This whole thing shouldnt be happening, theres a time for gameplay tweaks and that was supposed to happen in the first year or two, not now.

ZERO
05-12-2010, 12:37 AM
So I have word that every mod that uses offsets will be broken. This btw is virtually every mod. Also not only will wcs be broken every race might be broken. As a result I am going to put all major updates on hold until after the new version because I am going to just half to do it all over again anyways.

Valheru
05-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Did anyone get the beta?
I tried, but all spots were taken already

Kavinsky
05-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Will you still add or remove maps Zero and do you know if there switching CS:S over to the 07 engine?

ZERO
05-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Yea I can still add and remove maps. Also yes it will be the same engine as l4d/tf2.

maynard
05-12-2010, 02:22 AM
So I have word that every mod that uses offsets will be broken. This btw is virtually every mod. Also not only will wcs be broken every race might be broken. As a result I am going to put all major updates on hold until after the new version because I am going to just half to do it all over again anyways.

how much time till this goes down roughly?

and how long would it take 2 get everything back in order.

Kavinsky
05-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Well judging by how far along it is in the vids I'd say we've got only about a week of playtime till they force it down our throats.

So time to play the hell out of WCS, ZM and Gungame While we still can.

maynard
05-12-2010, 02:55 AM
this is bull shit!!!

BAH!:banghead:

acolyte_to_jippity
05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
gg will be fixed for the new version quick, as will zm. they're just way too popular to not be. wcs though...zero please keep us updated on the progress. will our levels be retained? or should i make a list of my current races/levels?

ZERO
05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
There just is no telling, because development on wcs is basically dead it could even be a month before someone fixes it. Also it could just magically work. Currently SM and MM are being reprogrammed for the update and I assume that eventscripts is doing the same. It is then up to the individual mod developers if the mods are compatible or not. Technically everything should still work as long as they do not take things out but only add but this is valve and so it should be expected that this update just like previous major updates will break the game completely. Basically what they are doing this time is giving everyone a free upgrade to CS:S 2 which is a totally different game. This is why all the mods and shit is going to be broken.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
it'll fuck up custom skinns too.

maynard
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
gg will be fixed for the new version quick, as will zm. they're just way too popular to not be. wcs though...zero please keep us updated on the progress. will our levels be retained? or should i make a list of my current races/levels?

WCS is pretty popular man, I'm not just talking IBIS WCS but WCS in general. the mod has been around as long as the game has.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
but isn't the wc3 support dead?

i mean, it seems like the only reason it can survive til now is because server admins are dedicated enough to actually fix problems themselves

maynard
05-12-2010, 03:17 PM

you're dead! shut-up!:mini triste:

XxMastagunzxX
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
We'll all probably be playing pub for a while LOL.

ZERO
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Look at what they were doing with tf 2 already: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=125721

Review of beta: http://www.cadred.org/News/Article/104310/

acolyte_to_jippity
05-12-2010, 10:50 PM
well, it seems like they're updating to ep.1 engine (the tf2 one). that's good. it will make playability and fps better for people w/ shittier comps. most of what they're doing doesn't seem too bad...but if it breaks the mods i'm going to be pissed. css is a game that has always been easy to mod, and that has kept it so popular over the years. if this update breaks those mods, valve will find themselves high-and-dry once the "OMG CSS UPDATE ROFLS L33T!!" wave dies down and people start looking for their zombie servers, or their wcs or jailbreak servers.

the grenades will suck, but whatever, i'll deal so long as the mods will still run.

Bullshit
05-13-2010, 04:21 AM

i mean, it seems like the only reason it can survive til now is because server admins are dedicated enough to actually fix problems themselves

Yes wc3 support is dead. BUT WCS support isnt. Big different:wtg:

Kavinsky
05-13-2010, 07:17 AM
I thought that thing about the hats was a bad joke, guess not. Funny anyone else seeing a Valve downfall in a few years after HL2 EP3 comes out?

Just seems like there going against the very thing than made them popular, their modding community.

On a side note:
It'd be a wise decision to back up your CS:S folder if you've completely changed all of your gun models like I have, we have NO idea when the beta's going to be forced upon us all.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I thought that thing about the hats was a bad joke, guess not. Funny anyone else seeing a Valve downfall in a few years after HL2 EP3 comes out?

Just seems like there going against the very thing than made them popular, their modding community.

On a side note:
It'd be a wise decision to back up your CS:S folder if you've completely changed all of your gun models like I have, we have NO idea when the beta's going to be forced upon us all.

lol, will that even help? i mean, if they fuck over skinning...
edit: you mean the folder in .../steam/steamapps/<username>/counterstrikesource?

Kavinsky
05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah that entire folder, there might be a way to run it without steam if they really do screw over all of our mods with the beta.

Jeimuzu
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Yea I can still add and remove maps. Also yes it will be the same engine as l4d/tf2.

I f*cking hate the L4D engine.. It annoys the hell out of me. If I could I would rather play L4D with the current CS:S engine..

It's official sadly:
http://www.halflife2.net/

Already rasing hell about it:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264289

Tried to post but it's already closed D=

Have you told the bastards that it would virtually break every mod and that they're going against what made them popular and what not?..

Fireye
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
It's actually the Orange Box engine, not the L4D engine. They are two entirely separate things.

The Orange Box engine powers Portal, TF2, and HL2Ep2 (IIRC).

acolyte_to_jippity
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
It's actually the Orange Box engine, not the L4D engine. They are two entirely separate things.

The Orange Box engine powers Portal, TF2, and HL2Ep2 (IIRC).

ok, that's good. better at least. it will definately break evey single skin though, since skins for hl2 work on ep. 1, but not ep.2

Christmas
05-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Yeah because we all know more profit isn't beneficial to the community.

Kavinsky
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Figures doesnt say WHO closed it, no response from Erik either.

At this point I'm not going to be buying any games from them. If that's the way there treating us they can go to hell.

and it looks like their closing all of the threads of all of those who openly oppose them on the change, just like the old left 4 dead boycott. Granted there is a few people who are overreacting, atleast I was civil and considerate.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266555
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267778

When they do something like this without any provocation its an order from the top like what they did with the boycotters, they don't do that without a reason.

ZERO
05-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Those threads were also posted in the wrong forum...

Kavinsky
05-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Theres no right forum for criticism of the CS:S beta on there to post it in, so technically it isn't.

devour
05-14-2010, 07:10 AM
this is gonna hit the competitive css scene in the nuts - wait they fixed the strafing speed. that shit was off sumthin fierce.

dont know why they increased the zoom speed on the awp though, quickscoping was fast enough.

reg seems to be great though because the hitboxes arent all fucked up like they used to be, and these are mainly 30 tic servers.

and all that gay achievement bullshit can be turned off via zblock just like bunny hopping.

EDIT: but this is definitely geared towards the casual pubbers rather than the competitive community - shame.

Kavinsky
05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I've got a question for everyone who the hell is Hidden Path Studios and what have they done?

Counter-Strike: Source Update Now in Beta (http://store.steampowered.com/news/3805/)

Press Release - Valve
Available immediately, Valve has launched an extensive update to Counter-Strike: Source (http://store.steampowered.com/app/260/), now in beta.

The update includes a host of new features and functionality developed in collaboration with Hidden Path Studios. These include 144 new achievements, a new domination and revenge system, player stats, and more.

This beta will run for a limited time, and once complete, the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.

Server admins may download the dedicated server files via the HLDSUpdateTool using "-game cssbeta" in the command line.

Fireye
05-14-2010, 08:33 PM
wtf, you can't google for yourself? The most major thing they've done is Defense Grid, a pretty decent tower defense game. They're also pretty responsive on the beta forums, so you can be sure that posts there are getting read. PM Echo on the steam forums if you have a specific concern.

Kavinsky
05-14-2010, 11:58 PM
So they have no experience with first person shooters let alone one as big as CS:S?

ZERO
05-15-2010, 12:14 PM
No and that is why they are qualified to update it!

Also it is believed that the game will release on this or next Wednesday or when ever the mac version of cs:s comes out. Also it is now believed that if it was not for Mac there would be no new version. So now we know exactly who to blame for this... Apple

Also current moders have found this in the engine: CCSWearableItem, CWearableItem
hopefully this does not mean that valve is going to fuck cs:s like tf2

Kavinsky
05-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Seems like all of my worrying, bitching and moaning has been justified if thats the case.

Zero is there anyway to trick steam into thinking that our current css is a mod rather than a product if we back it up and hold onto the old version after the new ones released?

acolyte_to_jippity
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Seems like all of my worrying, bitching and moaning has been justified if thats the case.

Zero is there anyway to trick steam into thinking that our current css is a mod rather than a product if we back it up and hold onto the old version after the new ones released?

well, in that case we'd have to host a copy of it on the ibis (forum) server, and distribute it to new memers so they could play it w/ us. although honestly, this is an amazing idea if valve would allow it.

emouchet
05-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Fucking shit

Kavinsky
05-17-2010, 05:36 PM
If it did work the same could apply to old left 4 dead too.

ZERO
05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I got mani and sm working, also all of the sm plugins in the pub work. I am now recreating copies of the pub to then update with plugins from the other 3. Hopefully I can have 3 of the servers done by Monday and even have them as live betas!

acolyte_to_jippity
05-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I got mani and sm working, also all of the sm plugins in the pub work. I am now recreating copies of the pub to then update with plugins from the other 3. Hopefully I can have 3 of the servers done by Monday and even have them as live betas!

cool!! i'm guessing wcs will have to come from the official team?

ZERO
05-22-2010, 03:59 PM
WCS should work without any update, but the races will be broken and your just fucked for that...

acolyte_to_jippity
05-22-2010, 04:06 PM
WCS should work without any update, but the races will be broken and your just fucked for that...

right, so we have to wait for the official team to remake them?

edit: won't they be alright as long as the update doesn't break event scripts?

ZERO
05-22-2010, 04:19 PM
ES is being updated but they also use ES_tools and that WILL be BROKEN (permanently). So everything must be reprogrammed to not use es_tools.

So far GG does not work, the guy that made it is busy. For now I have posted that anyone who fixes it will get $20, hopefully that can attract more people to get it done faster.

StarsMine
05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
ES is being updated but they also use ES_tools and that WILL be BROKEN (permanently). So everything must be reprogrammed to not use es_tools.

So far GG does not work, the guy that made it is busy. For now I have posted that anyone who fixes it will get $20, hopefully that can attract more people to get it done faster.

GG doesnt work? I was just playing GG in beta yesterday

Fireye
05-22-2010, 05:39 PM
http://forums.gungame5.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1297

Sounds like GG is ready to go, the only thing preventing it is a public release of the Source Python extensions, which is in testing.

ZERO
05-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Yea we do not run that gg... while it may be the only one that works in the beta that version is less stable then the one we have. When was the last time you recall gg crashing?

StarsMine
05-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Yea we do not run that gg... while it may be the only one that works in the beta that version is less stable then the one we have. When was the last time you recall gg crashing?

Last week
I dont keep track so I cant tell you when

acolyte_to_jippity
05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Last week
I dont keep track so I cant tell you when

like, 2 days ago i think

Kavinsky
05-23-2010, 04:22 AM
Will the bloody mute feature work in the CSS beta version?
GG seems to crash once a day during some of the map changes.

ZERO
05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Those would be map related crashes. I can debug the crashes and before 99% of all crashes were related to ES and now we have no crashes related to any mods we run on the server.

mastercheff
05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
umm yea so will we ever have multiple servers for multiple games? like gmod or tf2 or somrthing like that

acolyte_to_jippity
05-23-2010, 07:14 PM
umm yea so will we ever have multiple servers for multiple games? like gmod or tf2 or somrthing like that

yeah. ns2.

i don't think we should get a tf2 server, or a gmod server. but maybe (maybe) a neotokyo or killing floor server would be nice.

mastercheff
05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
yeah. ns2.

i don't think we should get a tf2 server, or a gmod server. but maybe (maybe) a neotokyo or killing floor server would be nice.

neotokyo would be nice but the mods like half dead unless we got the zps guy into overdrive

acolyte_to_jippity
05-23-2010, 07:25 PM
neotokyo would be nice but the mods like half dead unless we got the zps guy into overdrive

dude, the mod's not dead! there's a comunity who plays it, in fact i'm in a 3v3 tourney next month.

i'm going to lose, but i'll be there

mastercheff
05-23-2010, 07:43 PM
dude, the mod's not dead! there's a comunity who plays it, in fact i'm in a 3v3 tourney next month.

i'm going to lose, but i'll be there

Well try to get a really high ping and play support.

StarsMine
05-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Well try to get a really high ping and play support.

or fake a low ping with cmd_rate 1 or whatever the command is

Tickle Me Emo
05-24-2010, 02:03 PM
yeah. ns2.

Quote for emphasis.

Kavinsky
05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Neotokyo? I pretty much gave you a report on what was wrong with the mod and they were pretty big issues:

Neotokyo is fun, but it does have a few weird quirks, like the sit around in spawn for about 3 seconds after selecting your main weapon till' the "go! go! go!" message pops up.

The fact that you have to advance in rank every time the server changes to a new map to access the weaponry you finally got your hands on just as the last map ended is a pain in the ass, you never really get to use your favorite gun till the end of the match.

You can't see enemies through a smoke bomb even with heat sensing goggles on, essentally making any area covered in smoke an instant you die, kill zone if you fire your weapon trying to hit the guy who threw it, meaning the only way to combat that is to circle around and kill them from behind which most of the time isn't an option and when it is there waiting for you tucked away in an unseeable corner.

and for that matter they don't show up unless there moving with the heat sensing goggles on, I guess that heat absorbing materals there working on now have really come through in the future.

and on top of that you can't fire your weapon while sprinting and the assault class can't sprint, has no gadgets like heat sensing or motion detecting goggles but it is the hardest to kill.

the only problems that really bug me are the no shooting while sprinting and the fact that cloaked, camping people dont show up in the heat sensing goggles, so the only way to detect them is to take off the gogles and look for the distortion of there cloaking device or sudden movements and those fucking pussy smoke grenades.

but on a whole it does feel like a completely different game, and not some half assed hl2 mod, so I guess it is a success
and its not constantly being ruined by the developers like synergy.

It has a hell of a lot more people on it at all times of the day then synergy: Maybe 15 if your lucky now, since that last update with Synergy. netokyo seems to have a minmal of 500 people playing it at all times of day."

slight change to what I said at the end though the mods dead save for a few nitch servers.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Neotokyo? I pretty much gave you a report on what was wrong with the mod and they were pretty big issues:

Neotokyo is fun, but it does have a few weird quirks, like the sit around in spawn for about 3 seconds after selecting your main weapon till' the "go! go! go!" message pops up.

The fact that you have to advance in rank every time the server changes to a new map to access the weaponry you finally got your hands on just as the last map ended is a pain in the ass, you never really get to use your favorite gun till the end of the match.

You can't see enemies through a smoke bomb even with heat sensing goggles on, essentally making any area covered in smoke an instant you die, kill zone if you fire your weapon trying to hit the guy who threw it, meaning the only way to combat that is to circle around and kill them from behind which most of the time isn't an option and when it is there waiting for you tucked away in an unseeable corner.

and for that matter they don't show up unless there moving with the heat sensing goggles on, I guess that heat absorbing materals there working on now have really come through in the future.

and on top of that you can't fire your weapon while sprinting and the assault class can't sprint, has no gadgets like heat sensing or motion detecting goggles but it is the hardest to kill.

the only problems that really bug me are the no shooting while sprinting and the fact that cloaked, camping people dont show up in the heat sensing goggles, so the only way to detect them is to take off the gogles and look for the distortion of there cloaking device or sudden movements and those fucking pussy smoke grenades.

but on a whole it does feel like a completely different game, and not some half assed hl2 mod, so I guess it is a success
and its not constantly being ruined by the developers like synergy.

It has a hell of a lot more people on it at all times of the day then synergy: Maybe 15 if your lucky now, since that last update with Synergy. netokyo seems to have a minmal of 500 people playing it at all times of day."

slight change to what I said at the end though the mods dead save for a few nitch servers.

ummm, heat vision (support class) can see through smoke. It can't however, clearly see people useing thermoptic camo. Motion vision (assault class) only picks up moveing people, not heat. the unlocking weapons thing forces you to get better, but honestly it' like 4 kills to unlock everything. it's not too hard.

and it's nowhere near dead. there's a big 3v3 tourney coming up, with like 30 teams or something.

Kavinsky
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
No I was using the heat sensing class and it wasnt picking up jack shit from people standing still camping in corners, which shouldn't happen. If they stand still there for any amount of time their body heat would be absorbed by the ground and walls around them giving away there position.

Judging by what you said the unlock system is still fucked up, I wouldn't mind it if it was cumlative but to be reset to zero everytime the map changes is a real pain in the ass

Along with being forced to stop dead to fire your weapon which is complete bullshit. Atleast make it so you can fire the pistols while moving so I can defend myself someway or slow me down while I fire, dont force me to stop manually.

I mean neotokyo takes place in the future why the hell do I have to stand still to fire like I was firing a musket in the revolutionary war of 1776?

and when I went on there about a month ago at about 2 pm there was one full server, the rest were dead.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
No I was using the heat sensing class and it wasnt picking up jack shit from people standing still camping in corners, which shouldn't happen. If they stand still there for any amount of time their body heat would be absorbed by the ground and walls around them giving away there position.

Judging by what you said the unlock system is still fucked up, I wouldn't mind it if it was cumlative but to be reset to zero everytime the map changes is a real pain in the ass

Along with being forced to stop dead to fire your weapon which is complete bullshit. Atleast make it so you can fire the pistols while moving so I can defend myself someway or slow me down while I fire, dont force me to stop manually.

I mean neotokyo takes place in the future why the hell do I have to stand still to fire like I was firing a musket in the revolutionary war of 1776?

and when I went on there about a month ago at about 2 pm there was one full server, the rest were dead.

thermoptic camo masks your heat as well.

if the unlock system worked cumulatively, you'd have people with aa13s round one. it'd be like call of duty. it would be shit. i rarely take more than 4 rounds to unlock everything now.

when you sprint, you can't shoot. when you're running normally you can

there are 2 very active public servers and a bunch more comp servers.

ZERO
05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
I had a big list of problems with neo tokyo that I think I posted on their site and said that if they did not correct these issues the game would never take off. I doubt they listened to me although in the future I may pickup the game again and see if they ever did take any of my hints. The one thing I remember in particular was the crosshair.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I had a big list of problems with neo tokyo that I think I posted on their site and said that if they did not correct these issues the game would never take off. I doubt they listened to me although in the future I may pickup the game again and see if they ever did take any of my hints. The one thing I remember in particular was the crosshair.

ok, i'll give it to you the crosshair blows. but you do get used to it.

i just want to be able to drive a tachikoma

Kavinsky
05-25-2010, 05:13 PM
with the camo thing it's not perfected unless they came up with a material to do so in 30 odd years they'd leave heat signature there overtime one way or another.

Plus that just promotes camping, I dont mind it being somewhat tatical like that but give me a chance to foil them by leaving some sort of a heat signature.

that mixed with the smoke and flash grenades just makes it a game of sitting around and waiting for them to come to you, maybe you win maybe you dont which is fucking frustrating.

if the weapons system was like that you'd probably have far more people playing it, I could never get to the upper weapons that didnt suck in time along with a whole hell of a lot of people.

Running feels like its bearly a jogging pace, sprint feels like what the running pace should be.

so 2 confirmed popular servers and maybe a few stragler servers, thats not a whole hell of alot of people

acolyte_to_jippity
05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
...you do know the thermoptic camo only lasts for 13 seconds for recon (and 9 for assault)...and that it still shows up in thermal right? they show up as cold outlines (black) on the thermal vision.

and why the fuck are you bitching about realism? is css realistic at all? If you were a terrorist cell, going off to bomb somewhere, would you make the bomb easy enough to defuse, or a push-to-boom type? and slao, would you only send one bomb? and if you were ct, would you send your men out there armed w/ nothing but a pistol and have them buy their weapons in the field?

and then, can people actually jump that high at all?

StarsMine
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
and then, can people actually jump that high at all?

I can, just not carrying 25 lbs of equipment...

Kavinsky
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
13 seconds? thats when there moving or atleast it was when I last played it, when they stood still there was no real drain on the camo and they would primarily camp.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
13 seconds? thats when there moving or atleast it was when I last played it, when they stood still there was no real drain on the camo and they would primarily camp.

oh no no no no no, moving doesn't do shit. it drains at same speed. it's not like the cloak and dagger from tf2 (i love that watch)