PDA

View Full Version : UK Fusion

Phazonmasher
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I just got this email and was wondering if you guys would be interested. You don't have to volunteer during FUSION, you just have to show up and help us at the table.

Hello Zach and Anime Club!

I would like to extend an invitation for your student organization to come to our event to help promote student orgs. and student involvement on campus.
Our organization, For Unity and Service In Our Neighborhood, more commonly known as UK FUSION, is a one-day service event during K-Week festivities in August. Since its inception in 2003, student, faculty, and staff participation has increased each year - from 461 participants in its first year to over 1300 participants in 2007 - quickly making FUSION one of the greatest traditions here at the University of Kentucky.Now in its sixth year, FUSION gives all UK students, faculty, and staff an opportunity to start off their school year in a helpful way by serving for three hours at a local non-profit agency or area neighborhood residence. Each year FUSION volunteers positively impact the community by providing over 2800 hours of service in one day. Participants are divided into small groups of 10-20 and sent out to various project sites in the Lexington community. Participants may serve at project sites that involve physical labor, such as landscaping or painting, while other sites focus on promoting student interaction with residents, like talking with the elderly or serving a meal at a homeless shelter.

After the students three-hour day of community service, they all arrive back to campus on Haggin Field to celebrate in a mini post-FUSION celebration. Here students have the opportunity to chat with newly met friends and talk about their individual experiences that day as well as eat food, and participate in fun activities while learning about other student organizations. Each year different student orgs get their name out to the previous and incoming students on campus at the Celebration by tabling and bringing food or fun events for student to take part in.

As you may know, this year FUSION 2010 is August 23rd and we anticipate the 'End of Day Celebration' to begin around 3-4:00pm and last until 6:00pm that day. We would love to have your organization join us by not only participating (only if you wish of course) but more importantly by attending the 'End of Day Celebration!' You all are more than welcome to set up a table and if you wish, you all can bring an activity or game or hand out free stuff or whatever ideas you might have! (Every Organization brings different things, depending on their different budgets and so forth, but last year one org, for example brought a Moon Bounce, others brought corn hole games, others had t-shirts or handbills etc.)

Whether you all decide to do anything other than table or not, please let me know by June 30th the finalized details so that we can have a final advance and layout of how the Celebration will be set up. I hope that you all can participate and we look forward to having you all in the fall! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions my email and telephone is listed below. Have a great day and I hope to hear from you soon!

Best,

AM

FUSION Event Planning Director

papa_smurf
05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm fine with doing either, be it this FUSION thing, or just showing up at the table, we should take a vote and decide I think. ;P

Shoron
05-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm game!

Phazonmasher
06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
OK, I signed us up for it. So what do we want to do? I got this in a e-mail from the head honcho.

Hey Zach

Thank you so much for participating in FUSION! We just need to know exactly what UKAnime is planning on doing there. You all can do anything as simple as tabling, to something more intense such as arranging an activity of some sort for students to do. The idea of the celebration is to make it seem some what like a carnival so anything you do will be fine! Please just let us know by 6/30 so we can make the proper preparations! Thanks again!

Best,

AM

So do we want to just table or do we want to attempt something more carnival-ish? I'm all ears and Austin, you're the one in charge of shit like this. I want ideas from you and possible ways to execute said ideas.

papa_smurf
06-14-2010, 07:31 PM
There must be cosplay...loud and obnoxious cosplay I say! ;P

Shoron
06-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I say we recruit people in cosplay and teach them the Hari Hari Yukai (sp?)

RamenPoodle
06-15-2010, 12:29 AM
I say we recruit people in cosplay and teach them the Hari Hari Yukai (sp?)

Hare Hare Yukai.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
cosplay eureka seven.

Phazonmasher
06-21-2010, 01:18 AM
I need real ideas people. Throw ideas out besides cosplay. This is a carnival thing, give me ideas for games, etc.

ZERO
06-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Dango stand!!!!!!!

We could prepare the dango in advance or try to get hold of an electric stove top and we are golden. You can not have a festival without dango!

Also we could cook octopus shaped sausage it is really easy!

Phazonmasher
06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Dango stand!!!!!!!

We could prepare the dango in advance or try to get hold of an electric stove top and we are golden. You can not have a festival without dango!

Also we could cook octopus shaped sausage it is really easy!

I really like this idea. I'll be here a week before school starts as I move in August 14. Do we wanna meet up then and start doing stuff like this?

Also, not sure if we can give away food without a permit. UK is really anal about that kind of stuff. I'll ask. Well, prepared food anyway. Packaged food is fine, it's the "we cooked it ourselves and we could give everybody food poisoning" part of it that they're anal about.

So yeah, I like your idea! Anybody else? Austin, you should be having the most ideas, it's your job and you're not here...

ZERO
06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
I really like this idea. I'll be here a week before school starts as I move in August 14. Do we wanna meet up then and start doing stuff like this?

Also, not sure if we can give away food without a permit. UK is really anal about that kind of stuff. I'll ask. Well, prepared food anyway. Packaged food is fine, it's the "we cooked it ourselves and we could give everybody food poisoning" part of it that they're anal about.

So yeah, I like your idea! Anybody else? Austin, you should be having the most ideas, it's your job and you're not here...

I am not sure when I will be back in town yet but fyi I do not think there is any place that sells dango or sausage squid. Therefore if we were to do that we would need to make it ourselves. (sausage squid is unbelievably easy) Although you never know when home made dango finds its way into some packaging...

Also I guess the one thing you can say is that you can not really get sick from dango as the ingredients can be eaten uncooked...

Phazonmasher
06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
I am not sure when I will be back in town yet but fyi I do not think there is any place that sells dango or sausage squid. Therefore if we were to do that we would need to make it ourselves. (sausage squid is unbelievably easy) Although you never know when home made dango finds its way into some packaging...

Also I guess the one thing you can say is that you can not really get sick from dango as the ingredients can be eaten uncooked...

There are at least three Asian grocery stores in Lexington with one of them being entirely Japanese based. We can check them out. I'll wait to see what I hear back from the FUSION guy.

AnHero
06-21-2010, 06:46 PM
umm

i say

Everyone wear nice khaki pants, and a blue/black polo and do cooking hamburgers and hotdogs

While were at it, throw in some serious hidden weaboo lingo between us, but still seeming extremely preppy in the process

The end result will have us looking amazing, and the true contestants join us due to weaboo knowledge

papa_smurf
06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Lord knows I'm always free this summer and willing to do just about anything.

I'm hesitant to say we all dress up the same, especially not going for the "preppy" look, not quite our target audience. ;P I still think cosplay is probably our best option.

That being said, as far as food goes, find out about the homemade cooking rules. I can make a mean onigiri given adequate time to prepare, and I'm definitely game to help out make stuff if needed. Just say the word. ;P

AnHero
06-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Lord knows I'm always free this summer and willing to do just about anything.

I'm hesitant to say we all dress up the same, especially not going for the "preppy" look, not quite our target audience. ;P I still think cosplay is probably our best option.

That being said, as far as food goes, find out about the homemade cooking rules. I can make a mean onigiri given adequate time to prepare, and I'm definitely game to help out make stuff if needed. Just say the word. ;P

i absolutely love how its weird/strange to dress neatly, and instead cosplaying is a completely normal here :D

That being said, im being either The Red Ranger, or Archer from Fate Stay Night

papa_smurf
06-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm going to make a solid attempt at making a Anizawa Meito costume, from Lucky Star...failing that, it'll be Shinra from Durarara ;P

RamenPoodle
06-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm going to make a solid attempt at making a Anizawa Meito costume, from Lucky Star...failing that, it'll be Shinra from Durarara ;P

of course, someone will have to be Legendary Girl A. Actually, I would love it if someone was. XD

papa_smurf
06-21-2010, 10:26 PM
of course, someone will have to be Legendary Girl A. Actually, I would love it if someone was. XD

The question, of course, is does someone have enough fighting spirit to do it?!

Phazonmasher
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Regarding food!

Zach,

Food would be awesome! If you all would like to bring that it would definitely be a hit! The only thing that I would urge you to keep in mind is that we are anticipating over 1500 students to show up, so although you do not need to have enough for every one, a large amount would be nice so that students who are interested can check it out and try it. I extended the date to July 5th so just let me know by then!

Best,

AM

So guys, you wanna do this? I mean, we don't know how many people will show up to this thing. We have to anticipate at least over one hundred people will stop by the table just for food at least. Give me ideas, more ideas. We have until July 5 before we have to submit our plans!

ZERO
06-22-2010, 11:08 PM
I will need to develop a method for creating large amount of Dango rapidly so we can prepare the food. What is the date of this again?

Phazonmasher
06-23-2010, 03:41 AM
August 23 is the date of the event. We just need to have a list of what we're going to do by July 5.

BTW, big thanks to you Steven and Austin. You guys are being stellar with helping out. I can't say the same about the other officers....

SilverVistani
06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
**slips in undetected and raises hand for permission to speak**

If there will be a way to set it up, I can try to actually have the "pin the tail" games ready... And yes, I said games with an s. I've decided that in order to increase interest from all genders/orientations (and also because they are both mascots) we should have both the cat boy and the kitsune girl.

Main concern here would be if it's just the game with no chance of winning anything or if we want to try to do some kind of prize system. If we do prizes, since it's not like we can have a single 'winner' in a situation like this, I think it would be best to have a series of prizes based on how close or far away they make it to the mark. The main issue there, of course, will be coming up with cost-effective yet desirable items.

I might be willing to offer small prints/bookmarks/whathave you of art... maybe... if you guys even think that people would be interested in such things... I'd probably work on more art depicting our mascots for this if you decide you like this idea for prizes.

If you guys want me to show up, I need to know ahead of time so I can put in a request for that day to get off of work. If I do show up, I will not be doing a specific cosplay, but will be able to show up as a goth-y (possibly even golth loli) Neko.

And, finally, I also have a 'food' suggestion, since people are still talking about cooking stuff even though I didn't see anyone say for certain whether or not whether they checked into that and got it okayed... Konpeito! ^__^() Hibari Market sells little bags of Konpeito candy. They're a little expensive if I recall (haven't bought any in a while), but you get a decent amount per bag and so long as we can regulate that people only take a couple, we could probably afford to get a big bowl of them. Just, you know, as a suggestion in case we can't cook stuff and bring it. You'll just have to make sure that someone keeps an eye on me so that I don't go after the whole bowl myself... X3

Phazonmasher
06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
We got the OK to cook food. So we're good on that point. We're going to be having a strategy meeting sometime in a couple of weeks. Everybody is welcome to come and discuss ideas. Still not sure on location of said meeting but we'll see.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
We got the OK to cook food. So we're good on that point. We're going to be having a strategy meeting sometime in a couple of weeks. Everybody is welcome to come and discuss ideas. Still not sure on location of said meeting but we'll see.

lol, no need to even meet in person, especially if folks are somewhat far away. skype/vent it up!

papa_smurf
06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
lol, no need to even meet in person, especially if folks are somewhat far away. skype/vent it up!

Actually...this is a good point...

I'd recommend that if we hold a meeting, those who can not attend but still want in on the action should listen in over vent, or IRC, or some other effective means of communication, it'd be an easy thing to do ;P

SilverVistani
06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
... okay, so... yes or no to the "pin the tail" games? Because if I'm going to have to have those done I should start working with them as soon as I get done with shirt designs...

ZERO
06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
The week before (and when I am back in town) I will try to get some of you all over so we can make some dango that way we will know what works and what does not. Also this will make it so that a way to assembly line the process can be developed and implemented the day before.

Phazonmasher
06-25-2010, 12:23 AM
... okay, so... yes or no to the "pin the tail" games? Because if I'm going to have to have those done I should start working with them as soon as I get done with shirt designs...

It wouldn't hurt. I'd say go ahead. We will have to scratch the bottom of the barrel so to speak in terms of prizes but we'll see what we can do. I like the idea of some kind of game and that's a simple yet eye grabbing activity. So yeah, go ahead. If you need anything in terms of supplies, just keep receipts and we'll reimburse you once I can get in touch with our treasurer who apparently can't use the internet.

ZERO
06-25-2010, 12:46 AM
They do not know how to count 010101010010001010010101010101 and thus can not use the internet. For example they would not understand that there are 01 people in the world.

SilverVistani
06-25-2010, 01:42 AM
They do not know how to count 010101010010001010010101010101 and thus can not use the internet. For example they would not understand that there are 01 people in the world.

*giggle* I believe that's 01 -kinds- of people in the world. It'd be a sad, lonely place if there were only 01 people in the whole world. ^_^()

And sure thing, I'll get to work on those when I get done with these two shirt ideas I'm playing with. As for receipts, I'll keep that in mind, but at most I think the only thing I'll really need would be to laminate everything. I figure that'd be better, because that way we can just do a bit of tape on the tails and be able to pull 'em right off and reuse them without destroying the game board or pieces quite as quickly.

ZERO
06-25-2010, 03:06 AM
I did not want to use the word kinds in case someone knew the joke although the reality is that there are 11 kinds of people.

SilverVistani
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I did not want to use the word kinds in case someone knew the joke although the reality is that there are 11 kinds of people.

*quirks an eyebrow* Oh really? Do tell...

ZERO
06-25-2010, 05:44 PM
People who understood that joke and though it was funny
People who understood that joke and did not think it was funny
People who did not understand the joke

SilverVistani
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
People who understood that joke and though it was funny
People who understood that joke and did not think it was funny
People who did not understand the joke

>X3 I totally approve... And just had to explain what I was laughing at to my mother and then had to apologize for being a geek. XD

acolyte_to_jippity
06-25-2010, 07:19 PM

ummm, for the record (and previous experience), any type of "attatch the tail to the furry" game doesn't go over well...at all.

no. sorry zero, but you fucked that one up compleatly. there are 10 TYPES of people in this world...not "01 people in the world"

SilverVistani
06-25-2010, 11:31 PM
ummm, for the record (and previous experience), any type of "attatch the tail to the furry" game doesn't go over well...at all.

Hence, why it was brought up as 'an option'.

That being said... Considering that I've heard stories about this group even having made "pin the boobs on the stick figure" work in the past, I have no doubt in their abilities to get people to pin tails on scantly clad anime characters... *shrugs a little* Just sayin'.

Thanks for inputting your opinion, though.

papa_smurf
06-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Alternatively to the "pin the tail" games... we could do a Japanese lottery, just need to find one of the wooden rotators and the balls, it'd be about as much fun and so much simpler. ;P

Phazonmasher
06-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Alternatively to the "pin the tail" games... we could do a Japanese lottery, just need to find one of the wooden rotators and the balls, it'd be about as much fun and so much simpler. ;P

Fuckin get on this now. Sean, this is your summer assignment. Find us a lotto thingy. I'll be up in Lex starting this weekend to stay for a few weeks. We can look then.

SilverVistani
06-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Right then... less work for me.

papa_smurf
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Ok...so after looking around, the cheapest I can find one of those lottery wheels for is ¥5,197 (about US $58.21), located here: http://en.item.rakuten.com/event-k/bt-052/

This is of course before any shipping / customs fees. (Which are outright rediculous).

I'm gonna guess this means one of those is is off limits now, unless someone just randomly has one they can pull out of nowhere, or knows where to find one in America. (Or has awesome woodworking skillz ;P )

Shoron
06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. On my ass essentially till 4 every day doing nothing.

Phazonmasher
06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Turns out, we can't serve food.

Zach,

I discovered that unfortunately, for safety reasons, it is against policy and the Universities rules to allow food to be served on campus that is not from a licensed professional. Apparently the only way to be allowed to serve food is if it is bought from a store and the visible package is shown at dispersement, or if it is created at a restaurant. i apologize for any inconveniences, please let me know what you all decide to do. Thanks!

So, what do we want to do now?

Shoron
06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Don't call it food and serve it as a souvenir?

ZERO
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
well we can still eat dango so it is not a total loss...

Could try to find something at: http://www.japansuper.com/ or locally.