PDA

View Full Version : CSS Beta going live next week

Kavinsky
06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.halflife2.net/

Doug Lombardi has said that css on mac will go live next week, which means thats when the beta's going to be shoved down out throats and wcs is going to get fucked over.

I still cant get over how horribile the new menu is for tf2 now either, its like someone spiced all the parts apart and threw them up all over the page.

Before:
YWGGHnQQmXc

After
DpZ9ifsoyFs

THE HOLY SH**T!
06-16-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.halflife2.net/

Doug Lombardi has said that css on mac will go live next week, which means thats when the beta's going to be shoved down out throats and wcs is going to get fucked over.

I still cant get over how horribile the new menu is for tf2 now either, its like someone spiced all the parts apart and threw them up all over the page.

Before:
YWGGHnQQmXc

After
DpZ9ifsoyFs

wcs was actually quite fun....

hopefully it wont go.

maynard
06-16-2010, 02:53 AM
hopefully it wont go.
it will go... but it will be back:wtg:

mastercheff
06-16-2010, 07:55 AM
They've made the game so noob friendly its not even funny. Even when you go the crafting part they say "hurr durr drag dis here and look at teh recipes for making ur shizz".I mean even a caveman could figure it out without any help.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-16-2010, 09:08 AM
we're fucked.

maynard
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
we're fucked.

you always have been.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
you always have been.

yeah, but owns is gentle.</jk>

i mean, we're seriously fucked now.

Kavinsky
06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Well theres always Plan b.

Copy you css folder to something outside of your steam games thing and rig it up
as a mod so it doesn't get updated.

Someone did it on the steam forums with half life 2 after that despicable engine change and
got it running with the lost coast engine.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Well theres always Plan b.

Copy you css folder to something outside of your steam games thing and rig it up
as a mod so it doesn't get updated.

Someone did it on the steam forums with half life 2 after that despicable engine change and
got it running with the lost coast engine.

i didn't notice any difference w/ hl2. i'm on my 3rd playthrough

Kavinsky
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290555
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298525

pages 9 - 11
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286478&page=9

you may have not but alot of people did
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286478
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Kavinsky
06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Okay the head of hl2.net found another vid of it:
http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/46537/E3-2010-Live-Portal-2-Demo/

skip ahead to 5:50

Schnacky
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM

hopefully it wont go.

WCS is fun, and will be back. I wouldn't worry on that. Might be a few months but worth the wait.

As for the update itself.

The TF2 new UI looks like crap, but I agree with the guy in the second video that the training mode is pretty cool and would have been nice at launch. Also it looks like the modded hit boxes which could be a good or bad thing. I just want the ear-buds like the Mac version!

For CS:S, I wish they would release hit boxes like in CS1.6, but that's what CSProMod is for. Since the hit boxes in CS:S already make no sense a TF2 hit box mod might actually improve things compared to the horrid boxes CS:S currently has.

As for engine improvement period I hope to see general improvements in visuals with this update to CS:S. Slightly cleaner character models and effects like in HL2:EP2 or L4D2.

I can't wait to own Mac users. I think its a great thing that get to play Valve games because Apple general sucks ass so Valve is doing great things to allow new gamers to play great games. I actually hope with Valve working the PS3 now that in the future we could see PC vs Mac vs PS3 users in CS:S servers one day.

Kavinsky
06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
schnacky You dont go changing everything up after 6 fucking years of nothing but very minor fixes, when everyone has gotten used to the current hitboxes and mastered them along with making a ton of mods for that game that will be screwed over in some forum or another by the update

If there past updates this year have been any indication of anything this is going to be royally fucked up and full of stupid bugs, glitches and expliots along with making the game run worse on all systems.

and god help us all if they make the main menu look as bad as the one being used for tf2 now and if the engineer update doesnt really fix anything for tf2 like making all the classes unqiue and powerful again I'm uninstalling it.

Basically why the fuck are they changing everything up on the pc users when all they should be doing is the bare minimum to get it working on the mac and leave everything else alone, all of these engine changes should have NEVER happened in the first place along with that god awful tf2 menu change

Valve if you wanna mix it up with css, MAKE CSS 2 WITH IT YA NIMRODS AND LEAVE THE ORIGINAL ALONE!

Schnacky
06-18-2010, 03:27 AM
schnacky You dont go changing everything up after 6 fucking years of nothing but very minor fixes, when everyone has gotten used to the current hitboxes and mastered them along with making a ton of mods for that game that will be screwed over in some forum or another by the update

If there past updates this year have been any indication of anything this is going to be royally fucked up and full of stupid bugs, glitches and expliots along with making the game run worse on all systems.

and god help us all if they make the main menu look as bad as the one being used for tf2 now and if the engineer update doesnt really fix anything for tf2 like making all the classes unqiue and powerful again I'm uninstalling it.

Basically why the fuck are they changing everything up on the pc users when all they should be doing is the bare minimum to get it working on the mac and leave everything else alone, all of these engine changes should have NEVER happened in the first place along with that god awful tf2 menu change

Valve if you wanna mix it up with css, MAKE CSS 2 WITH IT YA NIMRODS AND LEAVE THE ORIGINAL ALONE!

eh, while your right in one aspect. I really want them to upgrade the visuals for CSS like they did for HL2. That was quite nice and all I really want.

As for running worse... doubt it will affect my performance. Actually might improve it since Source 2009 has more up-to-date code to make my 7750be and GTX480SC dance since I get worse performance running CSS then Crysis or HL2:EP2.

Kavinsky
06-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Did you see these? their HL2 engine update somehow screwed up the maps and has caused me a bunch of problems that didnt exsist before the update

Pages 9 - 12 and one on 14

I filled in an entire page with them on pg 12 and I didnt even bother going through the game after I reached the midpoint at the lighthouse because of all the problems I was encountering and how disgusted I was at this update

and it spilled over into gmods hl2 maps too

FYI I used to play a mod called synergy which used a detuned version of the 2007 engine and it NEVER HAD ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS, same thing with obsidian conflict.

So this seems to be Valve's new moto for this year
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9778/154550valve4h.jpg

Schnacky
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Did you see these? their HL2 engine update somehow screwed up the maps and has caused me a bunch of problems that didnt exsist before the update

Pages 9 - 12 and one on 14

I filled in an entire page with them on pg 12 and I didnt even bother going through the game after I reached the midpoint at the lighthouse because of all the problems I was encountering and how disgusted I was at this update

and it spilled over into gmods hl2 maps too

FYI I used to play a mod called synergy which used a detuned version of the 2007 engine and it NEVER HAD ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS, same thing with obsidian conflict.

So this seems to be Valve's new moto for this year

You seem to forget that Valve is dedicated to continuing support for all their games no matter how old. Back a few years ago Valve released an engine update for 1.6 and HL1 that completely broke both games. They fixed the issues in about a month with I think 3 minor updates. This will be the same.

They also changed CS:S's weapons strength and recoil multiple times for the first few months after release before settling with what we have now. And this isn't the first update we have seen like this. They did a minor update with the release of HL2:Ep1. That time didn't screw everything up though.

Give things a little while and everything will be cleared up. You have to release something before all the bugs can be worked out.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-18-2010, 01:21 PM
You seem to forget that Valve is dedicated to continuing support for all their games no matter how old. Back a few years ago Valve released an engine update for 1.6 and HL1 that completely broke both games. They fixed the issues in about a month with I think 3 minor updates. This will be the same.

They also changed CS:S's weapons strength and recoil multiple times for the first few months after release before settling with what we have now. And this isn't the first update we have seen like this. They did a minor update with the release of HL2:Ep1. That time didn't screw everything up though.

Give things a little while and everything will be cleared up. You have to release something before all the bugs can be worked out.

but we don't want them to release anything. therin lies the fault of your logic

Fireye
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
but we don't want them to release anything. therin lies the fault of your logic

Valve isn't going to maintain CS:S for PC and MAC on separate codebases. There's a mandate out there from valve higherups to get all or most of their source games on MAC. It's gotta happen.

ZERO
06-18-2010, 02:51 PM
What if we just destroy mac then there is nothing for them to update it to!?

Schnacky
06-18-2010, 02:53 PM

This has nothing to do with Mac other than them releasing the game there. They are upgrading the engine to Source 2009 which is the TF2/HL2:Ep2/Portal/L4D engine. So even if they didnt release the game for Mac, we would still get the update.

@acolyte_to_jippity - If you dont want them to support their products maybe they should stop updating VAC too.

acolyte_to_jippity
06-18-2010, 03:26 PM
This has nothing to do with Mac other than them releasing the game there. They are upgrading the engine to Source 2009 which is the TF2/HL2:Ep2/Portal/L4D engine. So even if they didnt release the game for Mac, we would still get the update.

@acolyte_to_jippity - If you dont want them to support their products maybe they should stop updating VAC too.

lol, i love getting called out like this.

ok. when i said that, i was referring only to CS:S. that's what is being discussed here. now, it can also extend to l4d, tf2, hl2...

you see new guy, each of those games had updates that were released, FUCKING THEM OVER COMPLETELY. so in response to your question, no. actually i'd rather they not do any type of update to VAC. keep definitions up to date, but i don't want them to touch the main code behind it. simply becuse every single thing they update ends up becoming more and more fucked up.

devour
06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
lol, i love getting called out like this.

ok. when i said that, i was referring only to CS:S. that's what is being discussed here. now, it can also extend to l4d, tf2, hl2...

you see new guy, each of those games had updates that were released, FUCKING THEM OVER COMPLETELY. so in response to your question, no. actually i'd rather they not do any type of update to VAC. keep definitions up to date, but i don't want them to touch the main code behind it. simply becuse every single thing they update ends up becoming more and more fucked up.

VAC is the anti-cheat. O_O do you know what ur talking about?

acolyte_to_jippity
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
VAC is the anti-cheat. O_O do you know what ur talking about?

yes i do.

it's like anti virus software. the definitions need to be kept up to date, but i still find that the older versions worked far far better than the newer ones. yet, the older versions' definitions are uncompatable with the def. packs for the newer ones and thus i'm stuck w. the shitty versions.

with VAC, ideally the hack definitions would continue to be kept up with, but the actual VAC program/code itself wouldn't be touched.

because as i just pointed out, whatever valve updates/upgrades (tf2, hl2, l4d...) becomes fucked over and broken.

Schnacky
06-18-2010, 05:53 PM
yes i do.

it's like anti virus software. the definitions need to be kept up to date, but i still find that the older versions worked far far better than the newer ones. yet, the older versions' definitions are uncompatable with the def. packs for the newer ones and thus i'm stuck w. the shitty versions.

with VAC, ideally the hack definitions would continue to be kept up with, but the actual VAC program/code itself wouldn't be touched.

because as i just pointed out, whatever valve updates/upgrades (tf2, hl2, l4d...) becomes fucked over and broken.

I rather disagree. I love the new weapons that Valve has added and the new game modes in TF2. The new UI sucks, but I like class modifications they have done so far. I just wish pyro was a touch stronger, but like Blizzard with WoW, balancing a game like TF2 takes ages. I dont own L4D2 but L4D wasnt screwed up by the addition of survival mode and that one campaign map.

Fireye
06-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Except, I doubt that valve would go back and do these engine updates without a good reason. They know it's going to piss people off. They know it's going to break mods and introduce bugs. But it NEEDS to be ported to OSX, and updating the engine is how they're doing that.

Schnacky
06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Except, I doubt that valve would go back and do these engine updates without a good reason. They know it's going to piss people off. They know it's going to break mods and introduce bugs. But it NEEDS to be ported to OSX, and updating the engine is how they're doing that.

Actually there is a good reason. Hardware compatibility. With new hardware games might not be able to execute or achieve the same level of efficiency so developers have to patch in engine modifications to better support changes.

Fireye
06-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Actually there is a good reason. Hardware compatibility. With new hardware games might not be able to execute or achieve the same level of efficiency so developers have to patch in engine modifications to better support changes.

That isn't even close to the case with the Source Engine, and/or CS:S. If anything, the update introduces more hardware incompatability. It seems that the hardware dithering of some cards (even more than in the current version of CS:S) causes fog to appear much sooner than it should.

The source engine runs fine on today's hardware, in today's windows os. All versions of them that are currently active out there. I agree that they wouldn't want to maintain an older codebase for hardware compat, but that just isn't the case here.

Kavinsky
06-19-2010, 05:19 AM
"I rather disagree. I love the new weapons that Valve has added and the new game modes in TF2. The new UI sucks, but I like class modifications they have done so far. I just wish pyro was a touch stronger, but like Blizzard with WoW, balancing a game like TF2 takes ages. I dont own L4D2 but L4D wasnt screwed up by the addition of survival mode and that one campaign map."

I take it you never read any of my past posts here either:

"You keep trying to apease the masses by constantly tweaking a game instead of making a good game in your eyes your just going to make the game weaker as a result of that.

hell even yahtzee agrees with me on tf2, he stopped playing it before the medic update 2 years ago

Almost all of these unlockables for tf2 have far too many drawbacks and could have been easily fit into the current weapons set without any issue, instead of being one trick ponies like they are now (the direct hit and the backburner come to mind immediately)

So if HL2 had been made now it would have been a far more fucked up game, not a better one."

basically all of these updates cancel each other out and make obtaining them pointless, save for the dead ringer and the other spy watch

TF2 feels more like a puzzle game in that regard actually, where you constantly have to switch classes to kill anything and then you get killed by the other class that was designed to screw that class over

meaning the only way to win is to not play at all, or play fortress forever which I've heard doesnt have these problems

acolyte_to_jippity
06-19-2010, 08:34 AM
i just got the direct hit, and i'm loving it.

for the record

mastercheff
06-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Macs are the problem.

ZERO
06-19-2010, 03:19 PM
The issue is that valve is updating the game for no reason other than to support macs. In the process of doing this they are breaking all the mods, requiring them to all be reprogrammed to work, introducing new bugs and glitches and making the game less compatible by not supporting older systems that currently work fine.

So if your not playing on a mac the "update" only makes the game worse. The update is totally pointless for anyone that does not use mac. We can literally blame all of the problems with the game from when the beta goes live on mac users.

DJ_MikeyRevile
06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Fuck!

Rezel
06-19-2010, 09:31 PM
The issue is that valve is updating the game for no reason other than to support macs. In the process of doing this they are breaking all the mods, requiring them to all be reprogrammed to work, introducing new bugs and glitches and making the game less compatible by not supporting older systems that currently work fine.

So if your not playing on a mac the "update" only makes the game worse. The update is totally pointless for anyone that does not use mac. We can literally blame all of the problems with the game from when the beta goes live on mac users.

He's right, they are taking a perfectly good game and fucking it up.... Again...

Valve is a great company on there releases, they may be a bit slow, but they do good. As for every attempt at fixing issues they tend to fuck it up more, as history shows, meaning that this update is probably gonna be no better. Other than also breaking all of the mods for the game, a lot of my friends list is quitting, out of 240 + friends 90% of them are quitting.

That's really sad..

ZERO
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
No worries mac users will replace them...

Kavinsky
06-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Dont blame the mac users, blame fucking valve for doing a half assed job of this.

We should not even have been effected by this, they should have done the bare minnium to get all of the games working on the mac, NOT changing the engine and fucking with the net code.

If they had used there fucking head and done that instead of redoing everything they'd have saved us and them alot of trouble and all this after the left 4 dead 1 and 2, HL2, Ep1 and ep2 debacles and the not even shakendown UI that took them about a month just to get it to serviceable condition.

and they STILL havent rigged up a way to disable all that useless junk in the ingame UI.

Concerning episode 3 its in developement hell, theres no other reason for the news blackout. hell even the mafia 2 boys who have been working on mafia 2 for 8 years put out more news in total on that than valve on episode 3, so just think of episode 3 as valves duke nukem forever and forget about it.

I'm glad I invested in them rather than valve, just on basic principal.

and the direct hit works on direct hits provided the game registers it as just that, but beyond that the standard one is a far better weapon, all they needed to with it is make it faster and reduce the reload time instead they gave us the direct hit.

its kinda like someone giving you a handgun that only works under certain curcumstances and you have to switch to the other one when its not working, and thats just ingnis and annoying.

tf2 right now feels abit like a swiss army knife puzzle where you constantly have to change tools (IE weapons and classes) to get the job done and I dont like that, theres a reason why I play css because all I need are two weapons a deagle and ak 47 and I dont need to change classes every 5 seconds.

FAil Boat
06-20-2010, 02:43 AM
If CSS gets broked ill have to go back to playing aion again. :/

StarsMine
06-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Dont blame the mac users, blame fucking valve for doing a half assed job of this.

We should not even have been effected by this, they should have done the bare minnium to get all of the games working on the mac, NOT changing the engine and fucking with the net code.

If they had used there fucking head and done that instead of redoing everything they'd have saved us and them alot of trouble and all this after the left 4 dead 1 and 2, HL2, Ep1 and ep2 debacles and the not even shakendown UI that took them about a month just to get it to serviceable condition.

and they STILL havent rigged up a way to disable all that useless junk in the ingame UI.

Concerning episode 3 its in developement hell, theres no other reason for the news blackout. hell even the mafia 2 boys who have been working on mafia 2 for 8 years put out more news in total on that than valve on episode 3, so just think of episode 3 as valves duke nukem forever and forget about it.

I'm glad I invested in them rather than valve, just on basic principal.

and the direct hit works on direct hits provided the game registers it as just that, but beyond that the standard one is a far better weapon, all they needed to with it is make it faster and reduce the reload time instead they gave us the direct hit.

its kinda like someone giving you a handgun that only works under certain curcumstances and you have to switch to the other one when its not working, and thats just ingnis and annoying.

tf2 right now feels abit like a swiss army knife puzzle where you constantly have to change tools (IE weapons and classes) to get the job done and I dont like that, theres a reason why I play css because all I need are two weapons a deagle and ak 47 and I dont need to change classes every 5 seconds.

Kavinsky, look out your window, see that bright object in the sky? Its the sun, and you know what? The world revolves around that, not you.

Schnacky
06-20-2010, 01:56 PM
He's right, they are taking a perfectly good game and fucking it up.... Again...

Valve is a great company on there releases, they may be a bit slow, but they do good. As for every attempt at fixing issues they tend to fuck it up more, as history shows, meaning that this update is probably gonna be no better. Other than also breaking all of the mods for the game, a lot of my friends list is quitting, out of 240 + friends 90% of them are quitting.

That's really sad..

Doesnt affect me much. 90% of my friends list plays L4D/2 and 1.6. I'll just play 1.6 more till mods are fixed.

mastercheff
06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
I always have tf2,garrysmod,and hl2 mods to play. I might even buy bc2.

hallwagner
06-20-2010, 05:04 PM

yes!!! macs suck

hallwagner
06-20-2010, 05:04 PM

why dont you do what ive always told you to do, and uninstall? :smirk:

mastercheff
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
why dont you do what ive always told you to do, and uninstall? :smirk:

My uninstall button is broken when it came with it so deal with it :lmao:

Schnacky
06-20-2010, 09:04 PM

you should, I gave it a 8.8/10

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/31444/battlefield-bad-company-2/

Kavinsky
06-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Fuck you starsmind an upgrade is supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT, this seems to be nothing but a DOWNGRADE and the UI is missing that very basic feature to shut that shit off in the ingame ui

and the world revolves around everyone bitch, anyone who thinks otherwise obiviously doesnt know jack shit and doesnt give a shit about anything so forgive me I ACTUALLY GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THEM FUCKING MY GAMES UP. THIS IS MY THREAD AFTER ALL!

I just find it so tragically ironic that a company that made its success off of its modders and being mod friendly is so thoroughly turning on them and listening to the tf2 modern warfare idiots instead of using there head and making a proper product for people who dont want a swiss army knife puzzle game like tf2.

FAil Boat
06-21-2010, 12:04 AM
lolumad?

BladeTwinSwords
06-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Hmmm pay $80 for a graphics card or leave forever...

Schnacky
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Hmmm pay $80 for a graphics card or leave forever...

80? an 8400GS can run HL2:EP2 on high... which costs around $30.

ZERO
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I can only imagine the fps mac users will get on zm: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20100621234943_Valve_Admits_Low_Performance_of_Vid eo_Games_on_Apple_Macintosh_Systems.html

Spasm
06-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I can only imagine the fps mac users will get on zm: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20100621234943_Valve_Admits_Low_Performance_of_Vid eo_Games_on_Apple_Macintosh_Systems.html

lmao and everyone loves macs

ZERO
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
All the servers have now had complete copies made so the backups are exact. This will make it so the local test servers can be updated first to see what changes and get everything working before bringing the public servers back on line. (assuming there is an update)

Kavinsky
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Gotta love karma and I think the update is either coming out today or friday as part of a steam sale, thats usually how they set this kinda stuff up.

mastercheff
06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Gotta love karma and I think the update is either coming out today or friday as part of a steam sale, thats usually how they set this kinda stuff up.

Someone said that the engi update would come out tomorrow. They said something about the riddle and shit.

XxMastagunzxX
06-23-2010, 08:45 AM
All hell is about to break loose!

ZERO
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Someone said that the engi update would come out tomorrow. They said something about the riddle and shit.

That is just a troll about valve time. If the beta does not go live here is what is likely to happen today.

I will be very happy and then worried about when it will go live.

Then one of the following(In order of likely hood):

Valve opens up beta slots for mac users only
Valve opens up more beta slots
Valve opens beta slots and starts taking preorders for mac
Valve takes preorders for mac and gives anyone who orders access to the beta
Valve gives the game for free along with beta slots?!
Someone acquires control over the Holy Grail (possibly by winning the Holy Grail War) and uses its power to stop Valve from ever releasing the beta.

But if last week was any indication of when valve makes updates on the steam store expect something after 11am PST.

Kavinsky
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
do think its true about the 66 tick rate thing or is that being made up?

mastercheff
06-23-2010, 11:45 AM
When I was playing tf2 I heard a discussion about how overpriced macs are. Some guy who had a mac said he had a i7 dual core something for the price of 2000$. This guy with a pc said I could get that for half the price for pc. But apparently that 2000$ rig can run tf2 just like a pc with like 80 fps.

BladeTwinSwords
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Update is up and there are only 5 servers. FANTASTIC!

As long as you stay in the old CS:S and don't quit, it won't update your files for a whlie.

mcilwain
06-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Fuck Mac Users!
Those who didn't update leave ur pc 24/7 and enjoy as you can...