PDA

View Full Version : Words to save a community and life

ZERO
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I have been working on how to phrase this post for some time and finally today have completed my thoughts on the matter.

Over the past few months the amount of disrespect on the servers ahs increased at an alarming rate. The manor in which the disrespect has been given ranges but the end result is the same, animosity.

One of the things that has made IBIS so great is the incredible community of users who play here. Some of these users even give their time, talents, and money to support our servers and keep everything up and running. Others support us by being dedicated regulars of IBIS Servers and even come onto the forums to give us suggestions on how to make things even better. Unfortunately the attitudes of some have perpetuated within the confides of the IBIS community resulting in ever growing hostility toward each other.

There are now situations where users are unable to express themselves in the forums without being the target of intense scrutiny. In other cases users are alienated on servers by admins or other regulars. These users get tked, slayed, slapped or verbally abused and are sometimes kicked if they attempt to defend themselves. No community can continue to stand with injustices such as these occurring. But because animosity such as this is such a vicious cycle it only grows stronger and deeper in the community with each evil pass.

Where did we go wrong? When did we forget that were just trying to play a game? A game is supposed to be something that entertains some one. It should be a source of joy and happiness not a source of despair and anguish. I ask all of you to look into your hearts and ask how you would feel in reversed roles. Do you really think that your attitudes and or actions are justified. What are their motive?

I will note that there are some people who do get enjoyment out of the suffering of others. I will also note that I believe that everyone loves IBIS. Are your actions for the glory of IBIS or for your own? Individuals can feel empowered when they put someone down, communities on the other hand feel death.

Be respectful of each other! You do not need to have love in your heart for everyone in the server but you do not need to hold distain in your hearts for them either. Remember we are all human and we all do wrong, do we not all deserve the same forgiveness? Despise and despair stem the fruits of destruction, for hatred causes others anguish and sows the seeds for such hatred to be consciously rekindled. One can only store so much hate in their heart; and once this hate crosses the threshold it will implode violently, like a dying star into a black hole, leaving nothing but infinite emptiness in its place. Only though forgiveness can this burden be lifted. Only though forgiveness can the cycle of evil be broken. Only though exposing your heart can you take anything out of it.

I pray that you will all heed these words, for they are not only a solution to saving this community but also an important part of life. Lets stop attacking each other and just worry about killing the other team :assault:

whytboiz33
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
although i have no direct "issues" in this matter, i do have an opinion. i think that dual and deprod and all of us can stop. i also don tthink that colby can just leave. i think, theres a middle ground that can be met. ive been reading the threads and have attemptd to say logical. although my own personal feeling side with dual, i can also ssee our faults.

there must be a "deal" set to try and heal the wounds.

i dont like colby, for the fact he abused for so long and blatantly. he had his admin removed, so there is that problem gone. currently, he acts a littl cocky on the IBIS forums by posting multiple threads for 1 issue. although legit in this action, its annoying. he might aswell post in this section and every other one also.

solution: colby post one thread for every incodent, and act more humble here. ibis admins treat him fairly as he currently hasnt commited a crime he hasnt paid for already.

ZERO
07-27-2008, 10:51 PM
For reference I am not referring to any one single matter or situation. There are also many other instances that have occurred with users who are not on these forums who are affected by this.

V teh pwnerer
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
This goes hand in hand with my thread in the CS Discussion section, and I agree completely. We have all settled our debts and had our bad days. It's time to move on and enjoy the game.

Great thread Zero.

IBIS members and staff, keep the good work up!

D-Monic
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
wewt :wtg:

The.Beast.13.
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
See.....isn t it the BEST FREAKING SERVER with the BEST FREAKING PEOPLE!!!!

Yeah it is.....

Love
Peace

D1lD0
07-31-2008, 01:30 AM
As a whole I feel that the environment has changed a bit across the board on the server. Is it so bad that I no longer enjoy playing on Ibis? Hell no! Will it ever get that way? Most likely not.

The main thing I've noticed in recent weeks is the increased amount of racial animosity. For the past couple of weeks I've witnessed racial slurs and and insults being thrown around like crazy, what's most disturbing about it is some of these people are regs and 1 was even an admin (which I will not name). I bet as proof of how bad its gotten I could log on during primetime hours, type in nothing more than "I'm black" and within minutes hear the N word no less than 2-3 times by several different people at the same time.

As a minority playing this game you get used to being on the receiving end of the N word from time to time, and most of the time when I witness it I bite my tongue and hold back to keep the situation from escalating. I shouldnt have to consider where I play at because I was born black. I shouldnt be accused of selling drugs, robbing convenient stores, or bullying schoolkids because I'm black. I shouldnt be treated like anything less than what I am, A HUMAN BEING for being born black. And most of all, I shouldnt be called the N word cuz I hs'd you across the map with a deag and you couldn't handle it. My goal isn't to snitch on these people for their beliefs, they're more than entitled to it.

My my purpose for posting this is in hopes that some of our regs will see this and realize that your comments whether serious or not do affect other people on the server and to hopefully see a change in some poeple's behavior. I've never before been bother so much by it that I've considered reporting it on the forums, but as each day passes I feel more and more like I'm getting to that point, and if that were to happen it would just hurt the server more because half the regs would be gone.

Edit: Btw, as D-Monic can clarify I'm not a sensitive guy when it comes to racists, I've lived in the South for almost all my life. My group of friends go back and forth with racial jokes just bullshitting and to show there's no power in a word. But I can really FEEL the animosity with most who say it online. Maybe its because they think they have a sense of anonymity online? I'm not sure but considering I've never been called a N to my face by a racist my whole life it really baffles me how widespread its used online...

space_groceries
07-31-2008, 01:34 AM
i knew i liked this server and the people in it but now i know why...damn that was way too deep to spend on a game forum(i will be renewing my admin now btw). Shit man....way to be zero.

timmy aka space_groceries soon to be space_groceries <ibis.a> once again

D-Monic
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
i just got one thing to say D1|D0 IS sensitive :icon_mrgreen: lol

j/k u know u my nigga <---not being a dick

D-Monic
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
oh btw adrian did you hear that josh is moving up to blue ridge on the 20th?

D1lD0
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah I heard, he told me on my birthday lol. One minute he seems excited about it the next he's almost depressed about it lol

+Project.S+
07-31-2008, 06:11 PM
is dildo actually black? im getting confused lol

D-Monic
07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
is dildo actually black? im getting confused lol

LMFAO this is y i love u project:lmao:

yea he's black but more like a got washed a few times and faded black lol:icon_mrgreen:

D1lD0
08-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Lol screw you Ryan.

Get ready for this. I'm mostly black but my grandmother on my mom's side is Spanish/White so i guess that makes me 1/4 white as well. I was also born in the UK and moved to America when i was around 4 years old.

Cheers mate :wtg:

+Project.S+
08-01-2008, 04:00 AM
lol i just realised that was the only comment i made to the essay dildo wrote out lmao sorry

and i was curious/confused cuz you said he wasn't black rotfl and he sounds like a little white kid usually haha JK! not really. :chillpill:

i try.

D1lD0
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Lol in all honestly I do sound like a 14 year old geeky white kid. EVERYONE who's heard me on mic thinks so as well, except when I'm high. When I'm high my black side comes out alot more rofl dont ask me why. Tho I noticed the inner wigger in D-Monic comes out too when he's high rofl.

Oh and don't worry, the fact that you read it is more than enough, most would prolly skip over thinking "Oh its another black man ranting about THE MAN" lol

D-Monic
08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
o hells nah ims bout to get ma piece an put a slug in yo ass

<inner wigger has spoken>

-=NYS=- C.O.
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
My internet is down. I'm getting that new shit Verizon FIOS. Yea fools ! Be back on online Tuesday.

In regards to this topic. Yeah, let's all get along. I love everyone except smartasses. I always have a good time when I'm playing in the IBIS servers.

deprodigy
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
nice choice of words zero. id like to use it for an email for work minus the gaming portion. great advice to apply to many real life situations.

dildo, racism is our most enforced rule. if you see or hear it could you note the time or record it with a status in console and send to zero please?
although this isn't a curse free server, I know for a fact that young children not only play and hear this crap they listen in on their dads, older bros, or friends. it should not be tollerated whatsoever. swear words they will learn regardless, but they should not learn bigotry in the ibis servers.
apparently we admins will have to monitor more closely ......

ZERO
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Yea that is fine, just note that your quoting it. :wtg:

Vladninja
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not trying to go bumping a bunch of old threads (just this one)... :icon_mrgreen:

I came across it and figured those that hadnt read it yet might enjoy. :wtg:

Just read Zero 1st post... dont worry about the rest.

Breezy
09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
@ Zero's quote I have an extremely high respect for you Zero, to be this dedicated to a gaming community, and write all that, for people ONLINE... It's just amazing. I think you do great at running this clan/ the servers!!! Even though I rarely play with you and jigsaw, I think you guys are doing a great job, the last server clan I stuck around with for a while, started to decline, and continued. I think that you two can keep IBIS from declining.

uuntiltheendd
09-13-2009, 10:48 PM
great thread zero. i agree with everything you said and i hope others will too. we all really need to get along. :wtg:

yours' truely
09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd like to give props to Zero for running the site and attracting a good amount of dedicated players to his servers.

As far as conduct...

In generaly, there's some dicks and asses. Theres people that exploit and there's some that hack. Admins do a pretty good job of keeping them in check (on zm) and the regs contribute by addressing the individuals or notifing the admins. While there may be some intense arguing/debates/vendettas btwn the admins, the regs and all... overall the community is a fun place. Sadly, when the admins and the regs are offline the zm, pub and gg servers get pretty lame.

Concerning admins, I still feel that the good/core admins should get together and work out a standard punishment system and offenses that will guide them, but allow them to make judgement calls when they feel necessary. I feel that arguments btwn admins should only be seen by admins b/c the regs and random players shouldn't really see any cliques/groups of admins disagreeing with another. With Admin abuse, there may need to be a tier system for admins to help keep the shady ones limited in their privliges.... Then again the admin business is way over my head for me to make proper speculation about the current methods.

As far as racist remarks... they're just bad. I don't take offense and I'm sure others don't either b/c most people understand that this is the internet, but repeat offenses and singling out people will make it hard to shrug it off. While I haven't seen anything more then a comment or two, i'm sure it's more prevailent elsewhere.

I'll say again, overall the community is a fun one and i really enjoy it here.

ZERO
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Lol I totally forgot about this thread, I wonder if I should sticky it somewhere.

Jeimuzu
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Probably.

Christmas
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Probably not.

Clone
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I have no idea what had been going on the last few weeks so I am unsure what kind of drama is going on the server that is some how spilling onto the forums... i know a little bit about a lot of things but thats it...

I love the ibis server regs and even some of the nubs that come on. When i actually am on i try and make the new faces feel welcome and even laugh for their enjoyment so they remember the server and the people... You guys are like a online family that i would buy a round for at hooters and even buy some nachos.... I have been around for the past 7 or so months and have come to respect alot of regs and honestly have come to despise others for the way they abuse their admin or treat others....

Either way the ibis community is one of the best i have come to know and respect and would gladly pay for admin again as soon as i have funds in my bank account...
Peace to you all my brothers and sisters of all colors and status.. :wtg:
P.S I just realized this is an old thread and i probably didnt exist at the time of the posting but peace all the same...

Clone

yours' truely
09-16-2009, 02:26 AM
I have no idea what had been going on the last few weeks so I am unsure what kind of drama is going on the server that is some how spilling onto the forums... i know a little bit about a lot of things but thats it...
Clone

some on necro'd this thread and i totally feel for it. lol

ZERO
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I think what I will do is write a rephrased version and sticky it in introductions. This way it can be used as a means to set the tone for the forums and act as a reminder how we should try to behave toward one another. I guess I can remake it to function like a code of ethics.

yours' truely
09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
yes, it was nicely put!

Vladninja
09-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I think what I will do is write a rephrased version and sticky it in introductions. This way it can be used as a means to set the tone for the forums and act as a reminder how we should try to behave toward one another. I guess I can remake it to function like a code of ethics.

Sounds like a great idea. I actually took a copy of this into my work... to try and settle some drama that had gotten out of hand there. It was funny I gave you full credit for writing it and then spent the rest of my day explaining to people who ZERO is. :icon_mrgreen:

Clone
09-19-2009, 12:22 AM
I love you zero... can i have free admin :D

Clone