PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Quits!

ZERO
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20080801105547_Nvidia_Set_to_Quit_Chipset_Business _Multi_GPU_SLI_Tech_in_Danger.html

The skies may not be blue for Nvidia, as the company is about to quit chipset business, which automatically means that the company’s much-hyped multi-GPU SLI technology is either in danger or re-considered. Moreover, several mainboard makers have already ceased making high-end Nvidia-based mainboards. :banghead::headache:

Dual
08-01-2008, 04:35 PM
I guess I'll start to throw all my nvidia cards away then!

ZERO
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
They are still making grafix cards, and ones that blow the shit out of ati's crap. Hopefully NVIDIA will come out and reassure us of the future of sli. They have a lot of advanced tech such as being able to use your intigrated gpu for sli that you simply can never do with crossfire. It is Intel who has really fucked us all over with this for stopping Nvidia from making x58 chipsets.

Dual
08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
If you ask me SLI is over rate anyway.

ZERO
08-01-2008, 05:14 PM
It is on platforms that do not take advantage of it, but now with the ability to use spare cards as PPUs and even cards of different models is great. Also DirectX 11 is going to nativity take advantage of multi gpu and threading.

D1lD0
08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Bad for the long-term as a nvidia fan but in the short term...price drops inc! :)

ZERO
08-02-2008, 12:42 AM
However, Nvidia has responded to the news by saying its completely groundless. The company stated that it has no intention of getting out of the chipset business, according to Michael Jong, senior director of corporate marketing for Nvidia APAC.
Jong added that Nvidia is looking forward to bringing new and very exciting MCP products to the market for both AMD and Intel platforms.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080801VL203.html

Steamer
08-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Sooo.... Does this mean now in the near future we will be able to have SLI on chipsets besides just Nvidia ??!! This could be quite good. Im a bit confused.

Walter
08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Sooo.... Does this mean now in the near future we will be able to have SLI on chipsets besides just Nvidia ??!! This could be quite good. Im a bit confused.

This means NVIDIA won't be making any new chipsets because they don't have the proper license from Intel. I've also heard there may be an X58 with both CF and SLI support.

JigSaW
08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
yea its a bullshit story
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2327006,00.asp

lukeydukey
08-04-2008, 01:56 AM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/2008/08/01/nvidia-to-ars-were-not-leaving-the-chipset-market

Looks like they're not leaving.

obdo
08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
maybe it was all just a promotional thing - create sum hype for them or whatever

ZERO
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I think the real concern is that there is no news on NVIDIA getting an X58 license. :smirk:

ZERO
08-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Thought that this was interesting...

The only and by far the most obvious reason for axing nVidia at the moment is that US is on a big hurry to raise money for its goventment projects of doing warfare, so any industry that is even remotely close to the US of Amnesia, is doing anything they can to favor those same native companies, including Intel, Microsoft, and so on..
Its very easy to see the increased flow of spam from US founded companies in the mailbox these days, lurking to get you to buy their shit, be it security software-ish malwarescanners, PC checkup thingies, that by the way ofcourse phones home about users content on the HD, making those same companies aware of future spamming oppotunities..
Theres a lot of those firms that reside in the US these days that are really into squizing out as best as they can, any abroad firm that might be a potential competition, and we can actually see it.
Then add up the US intertainment industry, of who is lobbying fiercefully in europe for making complete tracing and conviction of fileshare users possible, so they can reach out all over the world, and lock people into buying their shit, instead of leeching it.
Ah.. some might think, hey he must be on something, but fact is, any little bashing here and there by fuckedup writers on newsboards like tHe iNQuirer help to make the average user think nVidia is giving up, and is helpless againts might US Intel, and so on and so on.. well.. You are out of luck, and europeans can and do take notice.
Soon we might be more keen to buy technology in China, another upcomming reason for the big industrial paranoia in the States.. and so the bashng will get worse and worse.. we ll see just wait and see ;)