is it worth getting?

ZERO
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
You really have not been a gamer for long have you... lol

maynard
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
You really have not been a gamer for long have you... lol

20 years good sir ^^

I just have never been into adventure games.

I'm all about FPS/RPG/MMORPG/RTS

StarsMine
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Are you saying you never even thought about playing the best selling PC game from 1993 -2000?

I hope they put up Myst ME as Real myst is buggy as hell, I was just playing that and It was putting my system to its knees, WTF!? that game came out in 2000 (looks like a 2005 game though :D)

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/making-of-myst-orignal-pc/336601
Yea they rendered every damn screw, there were that badass with those macs

maynard
08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Are you saying you never even thought about playing the best selling PC game from 1993 -2000?

I hope they put up Myst ME as Real myst is buggy as hell, I was just playing that and It was putting my system to its knees, WTF!? that game came out in 2000 (looks like a 2005 game though :D)

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/making-of-myst-orignal-pc/336601
Yea they rendered every damn screw, there were that badass with those macs

ya, ive heard plenty about it... well ive just seen the game around and advertisement for it, just never bothered with it.

it's not like I was unaware of this game, my original comment was more of a means 2 get you 2 sell me on this game as 2 why it's so great.

also starcraft came out in 1998, sold literally almost double the amount of copies myst ever did, so I don't get how apparently the best selling PC game in the time frame ya gave me.

StarsMine
08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
ya, ive heard plenty about it... well ive just seen the game around and advertisement for it, just never bothered with it.

it's not like I was unaware of this game, my original comment was more of a means 2 get you 2 sell me on this game as 2 why it's so great.

also starcraft came out in 1998, and has sold literally almost double the amount of copies myst ever did, so I don't get how apparently the best selling PC game in the time frame ya gave me.

myst sold 6 million copies, SC sold 11.

Myst was the best seller untill getting out sold by the Sims (Myst sold over 6M in 2003), and the sims got out sold by SC later
SC did not have 6million sales untill after it had been out for a few years

maynard
08-04-2010, 11:11 PM
you still havent told me 1 single reason as 2 why I should get this game though lol... I also don't understand why it's a 5 dollar game if it's such a big seller?

ZERO
08-04-2010, 11:50 PM
20 years good sir ^^

I just have never been into adventure games.

I'm all about FPS/RPG/MMORPG/RTS

Nor am I and nor have I played it. I do however know what Mist is.

StarsMine
08-05-2010, 12:17 AM
you still havent told me 1 single reason as 2 why I should get this game though lol... I also don't understand why it's a 5 dollar game if it's such a big seller?

Beacuse its also an 18 year old game o.O
anyways the huge thing in the game is atmosphere it is eerie and lonely as you go through the difficult puzzles that are in all the separate ages. The experience is hard to describe. the soundtrack is amazing, really brings you in, and the story though sparse is thought provoking.

When Myst Masterpiece edition comes out I recommend that

maynard
08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Beacuse its also an 18 year old game o.O
anyways the huge thing in the game is atmosphere it is eerie and lonely as you go through the difficult puzzles that are in all the separate ages. The experience is hard to describe. the soundtrack is amazing, really brings you in, and the story though sparse is thought provoking.

When Myst Masterpiece edition comes out I recommend that

18+:wtg:

shit ill try it then.

StarsMine
08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Cyan has stated that Myst ME is going to be on Steam soon, id wait for that, Real myst is a bit glitchy and a resource hog, even 10 years after that came out.... XD, I cant imagine trying to play that when it came out.

I got all 3 books :D, and the soundtracks, and cant wait for the movie to come out http://mystmovie.com/2010/07/31/well/
however I have yet to beat riven, took me 16 years to beat Myst...

maynard
08-05-2010, 12:54 AM
took me 16 years to beat Myst...

wait.... what?

StarsMine
08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
wait.... what?

Yea my family bought the game when it first came out, and I was unable to beat it untill I was 16, well beat everything other then that damn maze... had to cheat on that.

hallwagner
08-05-2010, 07:08 AM
omg i remember playing this game sooo fucking long ago on windows 98, it was and still is one of the coolest games ive ever played ever, then i got the second one, fuck yes. how many are there? lol

StarsMine
08-05-2010, 07:15 AM
omg i remember playing this game sooo fucking long ago on windows 98, it was and still is one of the coolest games ive ever played ever, then i got the second one, fuck yes. how many are there? lol

5 in the main series but only 1,2, and 5 is made by cyan, then Uru, and uru live

hallwagner
08-05-2010, 07:25 AM
5 in the main series but only 1,2, and 5 is made by cyan, then Uru, and uru live

omfg, ive only played the first version of myst and the first version of riven. regardless they were both epic games, i gotta buy all of them :D

StarsMine
08-05-2010, 07:31 AM
omfg, ive only played the first version of myst and the first version of riven. regardless they were both epic games, i gotta buy all of them :D

Bought this twice, http://www.amazon.com/Myst-10th-Anniversary-DVD-Pc/dp/B0000AFWWH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281011413&sr=8-1
its the first 3 games for 20$

hallwagner
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Bought this twice, http://www.amazon.com/Myst-10th-Anniversary-DVD-Pc/dp/B0000AFWWH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281011413&sr=8-1
its the first 3 games for 20$

fuck yes!

hallwagner
08-05-2010, 09:19 AM
while we're here talking about old computer games, anyone remember torins passage? i fucking love that game, it was soo just....different. it was like this kid who has to find his parents that got kidnapped in the middle ages or w/e, and u gotta go through different levels of earth and what seems like other planets. it was by far one of the wierdest but most entertaining games ive ever played. not myst wierd, more like WTF is this kind of wierd, with obscure humor that only a select few would find funny. it is defenitely worth trying, although i beleive the only version availiable is for either windows 95 or 98. lol

edit: sorry for the double post guys :P

acolyte_to_jippity
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
holy shit i loved myst!

that game came out when i was like, 6 or so. it sold more CD-ROM drives than any other game in history. when my folks brought it home, i'd sit next to the computer and we'd play it as a family, and i helped solve the puzzles and shit. then we did the same for Riven, and Exile...

we used to play all sorts of adventure games together. stars said this was Real Myst? is it a direct port, or did they fix anything? because real myst was fucking incredible.

DJ_MikeyRevile
08-06-2010, 01:58 AM
used to play it on playstation, now i play it occasionaly when i am really high because the graphics are like PACHOW

maynard
08-14-2010, 01:45 PM
funny, I said in a earlier post that I had in fact played an adventure game once before, way back in the day (play station era) and it was riven Lol... I was looking at the screen pics on steam and I remember some of them. I bought it, but was wondering if it matters if I play riven before I play myst? is 1 better then the other? am I screwing myself by playing riven first?

hallwagner
08-14-2010, 02:14 PM
funny, I said in a earlier post that I had in fact played an adventure game once before, way back in the day (play station era) and it was riven Lol... I was looking at the screen pics on steam and I remember some of them. I bought it, but was wondering if it matters if I play riven before I play myst? is 1 better then the other? am I screwing myself by playing riven first?

nope, doesnt really matter. theres basically no clear story lines in myst/riven. thats what makes it sooo cool as a mysterious game that u never have any real idea what the fuck is going on when ur playing it

StarsMine
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Well Riven is considered the hardest of all the myst games. as for the story, The back story is just finding Artus and not saving the brothers who have been corrupted. There isnt much of a story in myst but an amazing environment to look though and a deep back story that really has no impact on the gameplay.

hallwagner
08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
you guys still gotta try torrins passage!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torin%27s_Passage

StarsMine
08-14-2010, 02:26 PM
you guys still gotta try torrins passage!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torin%27s_Passage

D: its 16bit

I dont have a floppy drive either to install my windows 3.x on DosBox

hallwagner
08-14-2010, 03:03 PM
D: its 16bit

I dont have a floppy drive either to install my windows 3.x on DosBox

yea i dont know how much trouble im willing to go through to play it. my dad might still have his ibm with windows 95 on it tho, gawd that'll be such a blast from the past *gasp

StarsMine
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
yea i dont know how much trouble im willing to go through to play it. my dad might still have his ibm with windows 95 on it tho, gawd that'll be such a blast from the past *gasp

I can get the Dos version to run just fine, but I have found most games that have two versions, the dos is cut down alot, IDK about this game though.

What you can do is to Emulate 16bit on the XP virtual machine... but -.- I dont have Windows 7 pro or ultimate,(If you dont have a core series CPU you have to use VMlight instead of Microsoft's solution) and I failed with Wine on some of the apps I was trieng to use. But this is highly inefficient.

As you can tell I spent a shit load of waisted time to get 16bit to run, but ultimitly failed.

hallwagner
08-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I can get the Dos version to run just fine, but I have found most games that have two versions, the dos is cut down alot, IDK about this game though.

What you can do is to Emulate 16bit on the XP virtual machine... but -.- I dont have Windows 7 pro or ultimate,(If you dont have a core series CPU you have to use VMlight instead of Microsoft's solution) and I failed with Wine on some of the apps I was trieng to use. But this is highly inefficient.

As you can tell I spent a shit load of waisted time to get 16bit to run, but ultimitly failed.
meh im just gonna try it on my dads old computer, alot easier, and ALOT more entertaining. although im guessing i'll find it hard to use windows 95 again :D

acolyte_to_jippity
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM

play them in order. you need the story

nope, doesnt really matter. theres basically no clear story lines in myst/riven. thats what makes it sooo cool as a mysterious game that u never have any real idea what the fuck is going on when ur playing it

you don't have the story to begin with, you just figure out what happened as you go

Well Riven is considered the hardest of all the myst games. as for the story,
There isnt much of a story in myst but an amazing environment to look though and a deep back story that really has no impact on the gameplay.

don't spoil the story dude!

StarsMine
02-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Myst Masterpiece has finnaly on sale on steam
Took em long enough considering the things that were already released, now if only they can make a deal with ubisoft to release the rest of the series

maynard
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Lol... forgot I bought 1 of the myst games... should prob try it, thanks for the reminder.