PDA

View Full Version : rift

XX0wnsXY
01-10-2011, 12:37 AM
New mmo coming in march. anyone gonna play?

maynard
01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
nahhh I'm done with mmo's. they take 2 much time and you can't really play any other game and take a a mmo seriously at the same time. with WCS back, minecraft, and assassins creed brother hood I'm good for quite some time =p

XX0wnsXY
01-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Understandable. if im going to play an MMO i would rather it be from the start though.

Curdy
01-10-2011, 03:54 AM
all teh cool ppl at minecraft well almost but u cant hear emmm so ye, wer r u?

:icon_mrgreen:

A Baby
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Speaker and I are going to try it out. XD

Darkphoenix
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
i randomly got a beta key for it, so i might try it, but right now WOW has got me...

If anyone wants to try rift i can give you the beta invite key

Christmas
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
What is it about?

Xerenix
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Tried the Beta and decided not to play it.

It's basicly a mix between world of warcraft and warhammer online with better graphics and class system.

DJ_MikeyRevile
01-12-2011, 06:46 PM
just wait for GW 2

mastercheff
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
just wait for GW 2

Thisx3, in the mean time help yourself to any decent f2p mmorpg in between.

-=NYS=- C.O.
01-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm stuck on Black Ops. :-(

CYBER
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
looks like a cool game. unfortunately i just got debit card balance after the holiday steam sales, and i think i should get de-tox from buying steam games for a bit :P

plus , it looks time consuming, but probably worth it , will join u guys if i get the chance :) thx for the heads up ownsie.

XX0wnsXY
02-28-2011, 05:24 AM
The game goes live tomorrow and I've been playing the head start. So far, the game is lots of fun. I suggest that anyone interested at least give it a try!

maynard
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm on the fence about this game, not sure if I should get it or not.

acolyte_to_jippity
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
i'm not getting it, so if someone wants a well-spun hat, let me know.

i have a ticket to get one from tf2.

maynard
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
just purchased the game. ill take it aco, PM me on steam the code, or send me it on the forums.:wtg:

acolyte_to_jippity
02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
just purchased the game. ill take it aco, PM me on steam the code, or send me it on the forums.:wtg:

sold!

ok. i'll get it next time i go in-game.

maynard
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
owns, what's your name in game?

XX0wnsXY
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Yay! My name in game is Astraea!

maynard
03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
ok I added ya. mines Topleft

ill be on this evening.

XX0wnsXY
03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Cool! I'm so 'cite!

maynard
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm so 'cite!

tee hee!

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Price?
is it F2P after initial price?

is it worth the money =/

XX0wnsXY
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
price is the same as any new game. 49.99. There is a montly fee just like with aion of 14.99. Is it worth the money? That is a matter of opinion. I say yes.

brett friggin favre
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
For someone like me who is a jobless college student, I would say no. Just try it out if there's a free trial or something, analyze your financial situation, and make a decision based off that.

BTW...Hi owns!

EDIT: I seriously can't recommend a pay to play MMO. If you look, there are a whole lot of really good free to play ones out there. I spent some time looking for one when I got to college because I had no money but a lot of time on my hands. There's Runes of Magic (a bit of a WoW clone, but solid mechanics and some interesting twists), Allods Online (very solid, again a bit of a WoW clone and cash shop issues, but a lot of potential), and now some previously pay to play games are going free, such as LotRO and Champions Online. http://mmohut.com/ has tons of free games listed that you can look into with reviews and youtube is always a good reference point for gameplay previews. Right now I'm downloading Forsaken World, which is in closed beta right now, but it is and will be free to play. Just something to look into.

maynard
03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
lol there isn't a single good free mmo out there. there might be some that are ok. but in terms of competing with a pay 2 play they don't even come remotely close

brett friggin favre
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
lol there isn't a single good free mmo out there. there might be some that are ok. but in terms of competing with a pay 2 play they don't even come remotely close

You'd be surprised. Sure they're not perfect, they're not gonna be quite as polished as the pay to play ones, but for being FREE instead of paying $180 a year just in subscription fees...they're worth trying at least. Especially for a poor college kid.

maynard
03-02-2011, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised cause ive played all the top ranked free mmo's and though they claim 2 be free and they are 2 play. you basically have 2 eventually make the choice in the majority of them 2 quit playing or spend money.

they set it up so you can play for free, but you'll always be a bitch unless you give them some money 2 get what you need. if free mmo's were so amazing, then pay 2 play ones wouldn't exist for obvious reasons.

brett friggin favre
03-02-2011, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised cause ive played all the top ranked free mmo's and though they claim 2 be free and they are 2 play. you basically have 2 eventually make the choice in the majority of them 2 quit playing or spend money.

they set it up so you can play for free, but you'll always be a bitch unless you give them some money 2 get what you need. if free mmo's were so amazing, then pay 2 play ones wouldn't exist for obvious reasons.

I'm not saying they're amazing, just an excellent choice for the thrifty gamer. Also, advantages for paying players can be overcome with more play and more skill. You still may not be quite as powerful as the other paying players, but I have always enjoyed a challenge. After playing WoW for some time, I was getting less and less out of it because the challenge simply wears off, and the added challenge provided in a free MMO would be a welcome addition.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Aika

it's excellent. Leveling is very slow, but you absolutely do not need to pay at all.

brett friggin favre
03-02-2011, 02:29 AM
So far I'm liking Forsaken World. The only problem I've been having with MMO's recently really is that the combat isn't very engaging, so I'll have to see how that plays out.

Back on topic, Rift does look like a really good game if anyone plans on going the pay route.

Cry_Wolf
03-02-2011, 02:34 AM
HOLY CRAP ITS CAWFEE!!! :laff:

XX0wnsXY
03-02-2011, 02:55 AM
If you can't afford it then don't derail this thread. All it takes is a quick google search to find out what the game is about. I don't have experience with f2p mmo's because I am a snobby mmo player. I have high expectations and I understand that I'm not only paying for a better experience/support, but to also play with my friends. Most of them are ok with the fee and like the game. Part of playing an mmo for me is the chance to play with people that I enjoy and vice versa, in a teamwork environment.

Anyway, rift is awesome so far. Its super fun during invasions, and the rewards are of plenty, but not easy mode. I die a lot more in this game than aion. The penalty is not as severe, though. No one class is OP, and the ability to specialize in more than one area is great.

If you don't want to play after you pay the initial 49.99 then its ok. You get a free. Month with your first payment anyway. That would be plenty of time tto decide if you think its worth the money.

maynard
03-02-2011, 03:41 AM
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-01_00046.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-01_00047.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-01_00043.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-01_00040.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-01_00013.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-01_00012.jpg

XX0wnsXY
03-02-2011, 06:19 AM
your character looks awesome. Are you a warrior? Mine is a mage. Much different than the mage I'm used to, but it does have some similarities. Awesome screenies! Also, did you edit your UI layout?

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
GW is the best, and gw2 will be a revolution in the MMO world

maynard
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
gw is shyte. its about as cool as runescape. lol.

and owns I'm a rogue/bladedancer/saboteur

and my UI is the default.

XX0wnsXY
03-07-2011, 06:26 AM
So, with work getting in the way of my rift playing, I'm only level 16 right now, haha! I've been working on some crafting too (Apothecary). Can't wait to do my first dungeon!

maynard
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I re-rolled. am a Warrior Champion/riftblade/beastmaster. I love it. my dudes just a crazy crazy power house lol. I'm lvl 29 now.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/ktown4life1337/2011-03-06_00004.jpg

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
i am giving in )=

ill get it after Wednesday if not then, next week on Wednesday

How big is the world?
is there any speed based classes?

are there certin sides you chooose to play on that limit your ability to play with everyone? like in aion...

XX0wnsXY
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
i am giving in )=

ill get it after Wednesday if not then, next week on Wednesday

How big is the world?
is there any speed based classes?

are there certin sides you chooose to play on that limit your ability to play with everyone? like in aion...

You choose to play either defiant or guardian (aion was asmodians vs. Elyos) maynard and I are defiants on the tearfall server. Also, there are roles you can get for pretty much any mmo player. Lots to work with. You can queue for pvp @ level 10 which takes you to the pvp area with your group, against the other side. Also, tearfall is a pvp server, so when you enter certain areas, you're automatically flagged for pvp, but it will warn you first.

maynard
03-08-2011, 12:16 AM
this should give you some insight, mikey.

9iRQhJaRYQQ

WYCm-F-qYd8

qOSCTtDq_n4

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the help, one last question.. whats the lvl cap?

Its DLing now
im ready to play this NOW!

maynard
03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
lvl 50. you lvl fairly quick in this game though.

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
So I played 2 hours before class this morning reaching lvl 8. I really like how diverse the class system is and how it is organized. Some minor things I dislike are the lack of auto pick up when fighting more then one monster at a time its nice to be able to pick up the loot while still fighting. I also don't like how there isn't a toggle key for mounts and pets. I notice in maynards screenies that he has sub skill bars how do I go about getting and utilizing those?

The lack of quests so far make the lower lvling seem slow and the storyline is hard to follow, you seem (as the player) to have an underlying goal but the quests aren't labeled primary, ect. So I'm forced to complete every quest as I play.

The fighting system is simple and easy

With all this said id rate the game a 7
Then again it was just released and id more the willingly continue a monthly subscription (=

maynard
03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
auto pick up

it's in the options. you need 2 activate it. and you can also pick stuff up while in combat. and if you slay say 3 enemies and their bodies are all real close together, then when you loot 1 of them, you actually loot all of them at the same time.

I also don't like how there isn't a toggle key for mounts and pets
hit c, click mounts, and go drag the picture of your mount 2 your hot bar, you will then have a key toggled for mount.

I notice in maynards screenies that he has sub skill bars how do I go about getting and utilizing those?

options/interface options. then set how many extra bars you want 2 add, and enable side bar.

The lack of quests so far make the lower lvling seem slow

no clue what you're talking about. ive done quests from lvl 1 - 30 and have not once hit a point where there wasn't a quest I could keep doing. you must have gone the wrong way or something cause the quests constantly lead you 2 new areas with more quests. if you're out of quests, you did something wrong. ALL the quests are important, they ALL lead 2 better things. so yes, do every quest you see and you will lvl quick, and constantly get new upgraded gear from the quests. you can also add me 2 your friends list, my ingame name is Wassup, so you can ask me any question in game if you need 2. I wont be on till this evening though.

the storyline is hard to follow
a little yes... but any serious mmo doesn't have a simple story line lol, there's always a SHIT-TON of content behind the lore of MMO games...

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help again.

I couldnt really go in depth with what i was trying to say about the quest thing because i was on my phone in the middle of class.

what i mean by the quests (comparing rift with other mmos) is that instead of having 100 diffrent quests to choose from you have a set amount that you follow. I dont see my self starting a new character and taking a diffrent path apart from the one i am taking now, thats what i meant by the quest thing. I like a diverse progression where it donst have to be the same thing over and over again with each new character.

I met my first random rift earlier today, i enjoyed this and im sure down the road they will add a TON more stuff to kep me interested.

maynard
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
ya I see what your saying and agree. there should be more starting areas and or quests for the diff classes. given the few flaws though ive found, overall it's an AWESOME mmo.

the rifts are also a good means of XP once you get up in lvl a bit. they start paying off real good, and you can get some awesome items out of them. also the invasions are real fun also.

XX0wnsXY
03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Mikey. My name is Astraea. Feel free to add me, too. Most of your dislikes can be found in options. You can edit pretty much every single setting in the game (even the layout, by esc + edit layout). It's pretty damn amazing.

DJ_MikeyRevile
03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
yea im starting to figure this out quickly...

im not even bothering with quests i find my self running from one invasion to rift to the next almost constantly. Im lvl 10 atm, with 1 plat and some like corrupted sorcestone thinger.

no super items yet but i feel it coming.

i forget what exactly my classes are but here it is

Rouge
Assassin
Riftstalker?
Nightblade?

maynard
03-26-2011, 02:20 AM
.................BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

rift has the worst fucking customer service support ive ever seen out of ANY mmo and ive been playing them for 13 years.

devour
03-28-2011, 08:26 AM
theyre bogged down with hacked acct issues still

maynard
03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
yeah I know cause they fucked up some how and obviously leaked a shit ton of ppl's info. I finally got my money and gear back though so I'm happy again.

DJ_MikeyRevile
05-20-2011, 07:43 AM
well after the no coin lock fiasco everything seems to be in perfect order and the support has stepped up 10fold.

On a happy note, for everyone who was and still is skeptical about this game and wish to give it a try, they now have a 1 week trial period, just let me know and i will hook you up.

maynard
05-20-2011, 07:07 PM
it's a good game. it just seriously lacks content. it's also far 2 easy 2 hit max lvl.

OMGBEARS
05-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm playing on Leathys. Fribain is the name. Or Carltonbanks. kekekekekeke

Guardian cause my friends are lame.

DJ_MikeyRevile
05-20-2011, 10:16 PM
it's a good game. it just seriously lacks content. it's also far 2 easy 2 hit max lvl.

with 8 end game 5 mans 1 and soon to be a 10+ boss 10 man instance and 2 raid instances it has grown alot. You also have to accont for the rifts as well there being like 7 difrent raid rifts and over 10 diffrent expert rifts.

maynard
05-20-2011, 10:23 PM
yeah Ive noticed they added some new content in... 1 of my main beefs is something you actually brought up a while ago, how all chracters have 2 follow the exact same story line/path kinda of a bummer. I enjoyed playing rift, I just found it a bit 2 easy.