PDA

View Full Version : All servers offline for max 25 hours

ZERO
04-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Another large scale DDOS attack was launched. This one was much bigger than a few weeks ago. As a result the connection has been severed.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I have contacted support to try to see if I can get it online sooner.

maynard
04-12-2011, 06:51 PM
.................:mini triste:

ZERO
04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I should note that it was aimed at the wcs server exactly the same as from a week or so ago.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I should note that it was aimed at the wcs server exactly the same as from a week or so ago.

same ip?

ZERO
04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Well yea the attack is targeted at the ip of the wcs server. This could just be random though, normally when people are DDOSing you they tell you so that your like oh I should not have done X to Y to piss them off. However what is confusing is that we get DDOSed but without deceleration. In addition it is just the game servers and not the website. What ever it is must be very powerful or have a lot of money b/c the data size of the attacks are quite large. Perhaps though it is just some strange network hiccup and a bunch of data got miss routed.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Well yea the attack is targeted at the ip of the wcs server. This could just be random though, normally when people are DDOSing you they tell you so that your like oh I should not have done X to Y to piss them off. However what is confusing is that we get DDOSed but without deceleration. In addition it is just the game servers and not the website. What ever it is must be very powerful or have a lot of money b/c the data size of the attacks are quite large. Perhaps though it is just some strange network hiccup and a bunch of data got miss routed.

you can't tell the ip it's originating from?

ZERO
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
It would trace back to thousands of ips. This attack is a few GB/s in size it is not just the bandwidth but the number of packets. It is not possible for anything other than tier 1 servers to produce that amount of data and at a cost of thousands of dollars.

Currently they are telling me that it is going to say down for 24 hours...:headache:

matrixninja
04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Basically, some dipshit decided to spend a few g's to launch a DDOS? Wow. Those 24 hours while its down, is gonna suck xD. Hopefully it'll be up sooner.

ZERO
04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Still though I am confused why they did not attack the website too. An attack that large could take down our entire web host not just this site.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

This combined with the fact that a player would not do this b/c one they would attack the website too. Second they would also be like fuck you. The fact that no one appears to be out to get us leads me to the conclusion that another site or something is doing this covertly to hurt our traffic. However this would require some money to do and I do not see how it does not end up costing them more money to launch the attacks than we would possibly lose in people canceling admin. Also who is going to cancel admin b/c the server is getting ddosed?

I am just so confused by how random it is.

Spasm
04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Still though I am confused why they did not attack the website too. An attack that large could take down our entire web host not just this site.

So who did you piss off zero?

H.Bitch
04-12-2011, 08:17 PM
God damnit, I have nothing to do now. My Gmod Stranded server is having serious lag issues and now the only CS:S servers I go on are down.. FUCK!

Steamer
04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
The cost to someone / a group with thousands of zombies is not much of a concern. With today's ISP speeds it isn't much of a cost/problem. I mean.. today... a few Gigabits of info isn't all that much combined power.

If someone is pissed and if they really wanted to hurt things everything would be shut down. Sounds like exactly what you already said, someone out there wants your traffic or it is one weird fu*k up.

Snipe1002
04-12-2011, 09:49 PM
screw up or not, i love the zombie server, and now i cant do shit because some tards wanna screw with ibis traffic or w/e. Idk much about networking, my expertise is in hardware and software in the computer, not what connects it, but like steamer was saying that would be true, it wouldnt take much to bombard someone with a ton of traffic, for instance most people have 30 down and 15 up for network speeds if they love to play on the internet, possibly more depending on the isp, but lets say that everyones upload speed is 20 MBit/s , it would only take 50 people to bombard the site with garbage to clog the bandwidth at 1GBit, sounds like the work of a bunch of angry players maybe? or maybe someone has connections with Anonymous? << lol probably not, but either way it wouldnt take much with the right know how and the will to do it.

ZERO
04-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Actually while your may think your internet is that fast in reality it is not. The actual effective upload speeds are much lower and relative to the number of packets sent out. This amount of data transmission requires a fairly large size bot net or servers with a good amount of bandwidth.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

I am going to be contacting them again late tonight to see if they can get the server on earlier. This way people can still play tomorrow morning and early afternoon. :wtg:

StarsMine
04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
you can't tell the ip it's originating from?

its a DDOS, first D stands for distributed, so no.

Blashyrkh
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Good luck Zero! Hopefully everything gets sorted out soon :)

Snipe1002
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
i was saying in a perfect situation lol, obviously we dont have perfect network connections, my speeds range from 5-10 down to 2-5 up, MBits anyway, i wish GBits lol. but yea DDoS attacks would do it, i did some looking around, could be some other stuff too, (cuz tossing down a grand or so seems like a waste to shut down for 1 day) like smurfing, DRDoS or you coulda just pissed off someone with a huge botnet :p. w/e the situation is i hope it stops cuz it is very annoying :headache:

Foxtrot
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Well, I hope this gets resolved. Ibis is a nice community IMO.

ZERO
04-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Well looks like we are going to stay fucked till tomorrow. They said that the attack is too large to open the ip early.

H.Bitch
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks For keeping us updated in the meantime zero, I'll be awaiting when I can hop on the WCS server :3

Rob
04-13-2011, 09:18 AM
sounds like something anonymous could do. though the reason.. no idea.
im just sitting at home, doing absolutely jack shit, when i was planning to shoot some zombies. ;_;

Nogata
04-13-2011, 09:57 AM
if you have a back up of all your sever files i can tempo put up your servers if you like.

ZERO
04-13-2011, 12:12 PM
That would mean address change. If I wanted to change the addresses just to get them back i would have already done so. Worst case if this becomes a common problem I will just have them change the box ip and then I may also change the wcs ip and then by using secondary ips only I can make it so that they can only target one game server but not the physical server. :smirk:

thom
04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
thx for keeping us posted....good luck...

Evil
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
lol...no wonder I couldn't see any of the servers online...I was thinking that I might of messed up my profile or something...

X 1 Viper1
04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe someone that only gets overflow traffic from our servers is doing this, so that the people who would normally go play there?

AKA SMUT

Any thoughts?

surreality
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Don't understand why anyone would ddos IBIS. not like there's anything to gain from it. if i were you i would contact the police just in-case it is a ddos and not some network error..They prob wouldn't be able to help but i mean it's worth a try..

ZERO
04-13-2011, 04:26 PM
If there was anything legal that could be done the provider would have already done so. As DDOS attacks cost data centers millions of dollars every year.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Maybe someone that only gets overflow traffic from our servers is doing this, so that the people who would normally go play there?

AKA SMUT

Any thoughts?

doubtful. remember, they're "so much better than us" that they wouldn't use something like this. after all, when you've convinced yourself that you're the best, what's the point in attacking someone else?

H.Bitch
04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
doubtful. remember, they're "so much better than us" that they wouldn't use something like this. after all, when you've convinced yourself that you're the best, what's the point in attacking someone else?

Paranoia.

VladtheImpaler
04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all your work on this zero!

Foxtrot
04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for updating us so frequently, it really is appreciated.

lazyotwn
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I farted and it destroyed the internet, sorry.

ZERO
04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I am now rebooting so that we are starting off on a clean boot. Afterword the servers should be back online.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Going to be awhile now getting the glitch where it will not assign the ip correctly...

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Severs should be back up, pings will be very high until the internet finishes updating the routing tables. This should take a few hours to complete.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Note too that some parts of the world will regain access before others. :wtg:

Rosie
04-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the work man, ZM is back so I am assuming they all are.