PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

Evil
04-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I now have a weird and ugly software called Ubuntu on my computer...I don't know how to install STEAM and I don't even know how to use this software. I don't think I'll be able to play CS:S until I learn how to install STEAM on this shit. Also, the software is free...My dad wants this instead of Windows 7...http://www.ubuntu.com/

Rob
04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Ubuntu fucking rocks, it just sucks that almost everything that runs on windows, has to be run through a windows emulator in Linux (ubuntu).
the emulator i always use, Is called Wine. UNFORTUNATELY. I literally NEVER got to run counter strike. Steam did run.. very buggy. so yeah. Ubuntu is absolutely great, but for windows native games. no.

I have ran pretty much every OS out there on my desktop, but windows and linux by far the most. So if you got questions, i might be able to answer them.

Evil
04-17-2011, 10:16 AM
It's just so hard getting used to this software. I don't know anything about this and I have literally no desktop icons on my desktop.

anex
04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
To install steam, you have to use wine (which is a little hard to grasp at first) Cedega, PlayOnLinux, or Crossover Linux.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Games/Emulators

There are tutorials out there on how to install CSS and Steam on Ubuntu. Plenty of guides out there. Its very buggy though. It won't run like you remember it but you still get to play it.

You'll get the hang of it. You and your terminal are about to be the best of friends.

Blashyrkh
04-17-2011, 11:22 AM
A few years ago, when I was just getting used to Linux, I got around the problem you're having by making 2 partitions on my hard drive; one for Linux and one for Windows.

Partitioning your hard drive basically splits it in 2 or more parts. This can allow you to install 2 operating systems which are completely separate from each other.

Unfortunately, this would probably require formatting your hard drive, which your dad may not be very keen on doing atm.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-17-2011, 12:31 PM
linux...is awesome...but you need to learn how to use it.

Rob
04-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, 24th or 27th of april, maybe im a couple days off. its the release of 11.04 "Natty Narwhal", definately worth updating to i would say. I loved 10.04, haven't gotten round to testing 10.10. but usually .04's are beast already. GUI seemed kinda shitty. so i always customize my own shit to how i want it. but yeah, When i get 11.04 official release i will give you a heads up, and don't update to it as soon as you can. usually resets a bunch of shit, and can be really confusing.

acolyte_to_jippity
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, 24th or 27th of april, maybe im a couple days off. its the release of 11.04 "Natty Narwhal", definately worth updating to i would say. I loved 10.04, haven't gotten round to testing 10.10. but usually .04's are beast already. GUI seemed kinda shitty. so i always customize my own shit to how i want it. but yeah, When i get 11.04 official release i will give you a heads up, and don't update to it as soon as you can. usually resets a bunch of shit, and can be really confusing.

lol. i have jaunty on my portable. no real need to update since i don't use linux as my main os.

Fluffy Frufflebottoms
04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry to break it to you, Evil, but you're stuck in a world of failure. Get your own computer, and put a better desktop OS on it.

Evil
04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Back on Windows 7 but I have everything deleted. Hopefully I have everything in a backup...

Is there a list of all the maps that are installed in the zombie mod server?