PDA

View Full Version : GPS to buy?

Jeimuzu
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm looking for a GPS. Normally I use my phone, but I realized after a year I'll have spent 100 dollars on phone GPS instead of just 100 dollars on a GPS that will always work regardless of updates. (Or at least I think.)

So does anyone know of a good GPS at Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg, or any other place for under 100 dollars?

Cry_Wolf
06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Definitely buy a Garmin - nüvi 255W GPS. I own two units. One unit I use in my car, and the other when Im working on the ambulance for back up. This GPS has never failed me; even when I've Dropped it. Bit of caution on GPS systems, STAY AWAY from GPS's with live traffic update features! These units will divert you to a longer route even when there is minimal traffic on the original route(fucks your whole shit up). The GPS I am telling you to get is reliable and affordable; its about 120 bucks. If you stick to buying a Garmin be sure to get the 255W and NOT THE 255WT. The 255WT has that live traffic BS and is extra cash anyway. Good luck. :wtg:

Jeimuzu
06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Definitely buy a Garmin - nüvi 255W GPS. I own two units. One unit I use in my car, and the other when Im working on the ambulance for back up. This GPS has never failed me; even when I've Dropped it. Bit of caution on GPS systems, STAY AWAY from GPS's with live traffic update features! These units will divert you to a longer route even when there is minimal traffic on the original route(fucks your whole shit up). The GPS I am telling you to get is reliable and affordable; its about 120 bucks. If you stick to buying a Garmin be sure to get the 255W and NOT THE 255WT. The 255WT has that live traffic BS and is extra cash anyway. Good luck. :wtg:

EMT or Paramedic? I'm 2/3rds of the way through my EMT program right now. My first ambulance ride is this Thursday. Been through 3 ER shifts though. I'm loving it so far.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/192-8463929-9146010?asin=B0015EWMX8&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0015EWMX8&CPNG=electronics&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0015EWMX8&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

This it?

loka
06-28-2011, 01:24 AM
What do you mean regardless of updates? The problem with GPS's are most models do not come with lifetime map updates. This was a huge thing when I was working at Best Buy. Especially if new areas are getting developed in your state (my state is always evolving) certain street directions won't be valid on an out of date GPS map. So you'd spend about 100 dollars, and overtime the roads are going to change. Is the GPS going to be an investment or just a toy for 2 years? A map pack update is normally around 10-20 dollars, and most people would just rather chuck their GPS since it's useless and buy a better one.

I purchased this one because it was 150 bucks on sale at BJ's and I travel alot so the AAA feature works, plus the huge 7" screen was a plus, and it comes with one free map update. Funny thing is I sometimes use my Droid CarDock to get addresses from google maps.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Magellan+-+RoadMate+1700+GPS/9464153.p?id=1218108989749&skuId=9464153

Garmin is the better of the GPS systems.
This Garmin is on sale and has lifetime map updates.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+n%26%23252%3Bvi+1300LM+GPS/9940512.p?id=1218198443167&skuId=9940512

How your using the GPS makes a difference in what you need ie. long trips local driving and so forth.

Shop around and see what suits you especially if your not willing to spend a whole lot on a GPS.

Cry_Wolf
06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Yup thats the one! I'm an EMT-B. Its awesome that you're doing the course! When you go on your first tour on thursday don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask tons of questions and take initiative into doing some your skills on the field. Don't be afraid to step in just to take vitals. Plus, make sure u got all your gear(watch,scope,cuff,penlight, ect). If you don't know how to do something or you're unsure, always ask one of the techs for help. As far as the GPS is concerned, for that price you should jump on that and buy it! :wave:

Jeimuzu
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
What do you mean regardless of updates?

Garmin is the better of the GPS systems.
This Garmin is on sale and has lifetime map updates.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+n%26%23252%3Bvi+1300LM+GPS/9940512.p?id=1218198443167&skuId=9940512

How your using the GPS makes a difference in what you need ie. long trips local driving and so forth.

Shop around and see what suits you especially if your not willing to spend a whole lot on a GPS.

What I mean by regardless of updates is.. For me to use my phone GPS there's a monthly subscription.. In a year's time I paid them enough to buy a 120 dollar GPS that doesn't require monthly subscription.

I'm terrible with directions, so I use it for first time trips along with Google maps so I have an idea of where I'm going.

That one does look pretty good.

Yup thats the one! I'm an EMT-B. Its awesome that you're doing the course! When you go on your first tour on thursday don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask tons of questions and take initiative into doing some your skills on the field. Don't be afraid to step in just to take vitals. Plus, make sure u got all your gear(watch,scope,cuff,penlight, ect). If you don't know how to do something or you're unsure, always ask one of the techs for help. As far as the GPS is concerned, for that price you should jump on that and buy it! :wave:

Dude, the second I meet up with a preceptor I'll be disassembling and reassembling everything in my mind as I explore the truck inside and out. Orientation is important in my opinion. And yeah, I do take initiative when it comes to helping out. Some times I won't know exactly what to do in certain situations so I'll constantly be saying "If there's anything I can help with, feel more than free to let me know." I really do want to get as much hands on training as I can. I think the hardest part for me will be writing down the medicines and doing the reports.