View Full Version : 3 Game Balance Issues

Sword of Gideon
07-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Game Balance Issues:
#1 = $3,000 respawn scrolls.
#2 = Vagabond and Spiderman.
#3 = Teams.

A person can literally have 6 lives if they have $15,000. And what happens is that players who have already maxed out what they want and don’t buy tomes constantly will buy scrolls instead; so when they find themselves on the winning team a game of 8 players vs 8 players can easily become the losing team fighting twice as many enemies just because of the EXTREMELY low cost of Scroll.

These races are WAY TOO OVERPOWERED! They should not even exist as they do right now. Whenever a good player on Spiderman or Vagabond comes into the server, the player numbers are almost certain to drop. That’s NEVER EVER a good business model. You want new people to enjoy this place, become addicted, never quit, and buy admin. THAT is the business model. Races that make people quit because they are so powerful that they dictate the result of a game simply because of the overwhelming monsters you’ve made them capable of becoming is not going to win new money for this server. It’s not fun for any of the players on the receiving end of looking away for a second and then having your head blown off because of the excessive power that has been bestowed to these races. People quit. It happens every day many times a day. I quit sometimes because of it and I’m better than most players. It’s too damned much!

#3 = Teams.
You need to find a team balance model that works. When you have a 4 player vs 4 player game and the score is 20-1 and the top two guys on CT are 14-3 and 12-5 while the top to T guys are 11-9 and 5-10, there’s an obvious problem. And this happens ALL THE TIME.
It seems that people have come to think of uneven teams as when there are 3 guys on CT and 5 on T. But that’s not uneven at all when 2 CTs are awesome and only 1 T is any good at all and can barely cope vs the two very good players.

I have no idea how team balance works now, but it looks like it’s only based on numbers and then I don’t know who it keys on to trade precisely. But it doesn’t seem to be even coming remotely close to the ideal of having fun challenging close games rather than the almost constant stream of complete wipeout scores which are more usual because there is no strong and useful means to auto-balance the teams. You CERTAINLY can’t expect the players to balance themselves. They want to get their XP. You also don’t need to be trading some guy every 5 seconds. Just make strong decisions occasionally, if it is necessary, otherwise a simple program should be able to make the teams even pretty quickly based on runaway scores if not actually using server history to realize a more even and challenging game. Tight wars should always be the norm. It’s so obvious that the closest games are the most fun for everyone.

And saying things like "Just deal with it!" isn't very useful. I'm in the servers every day. These are real and true problems to your most usual, common customers who MAY become contributing donators for the server.
You might feel it easy to deal with these things; but the vast majority of players do not feel that way.
I mean strictly as a business model of trying to gain more money for Ibis, you should consider my rather very common complaints.
I think that most all players would decide to remain here or not quit in frustration or even buy admin because they came to love it here, if these obvious problems just didn't exist. They'd actually be here to consider donating! I think we lose a LOT of people to these problems. They just leave to where these things don't exist. Instead of always ignoring them, why can't we address them?

nightstrife
07-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Game Balance Issues:
#3 = Teams.

A person can literally have 6 lives if they have $15,000. And what happens is that players who have already maxed out what they want and don’t buy tomes constantly will buy scrolls instead; so when they find themselves on the winning team a game of 8 players vs 8 players can easily become the losing team fighting twice as many enemies just because of the EXTREMELY low cost of Scroll.

These races are WAY TOO OVERPOWERED! They should not even exist as they do right now. Whenever a good player on Spiderman or Vagabond comes into the server, the player numbers are almost certain to drop. That’s NEVER EVER a good business model. You want new people to enjoy this place, become addicted, never quit, and buy admin. THAT is the business model. Races that make people quit because they are so powerful that they dictate the result of a game simply because of the overwhelming monsters you’ve made them capable of becoming is not going to win new money for this server. It’s not fun for any of the players on the receiving end of looking away for a second and then having your head blown off because of the excessive power that has been bestowed to these races. People quit. It happens every day many times a day. I quit sometimes because of it and I’m better than most players. It’s too damned much!

#3 = Teams.
You need to find a team balance model that works. When you have a 4 player vs 4 player game and the score is 20-1 and the top two guys on CT are 14-3 and 12-5 while the top to T guys are 11-9 and 5-10, there’s an obvious problem. And this happens ALL THE TIME.
It seems that people have come to think of uneven teams as when there are 3 guys on CT and 5 on T. But that’s not uneven at all when 2 CTs are awesome and only 1 T is any good at all and can barely cope vs the two very good players.

I have no idea how team balance works now, but it looks like it’s only based on numbers and then I don’t know who it keys on to trade precisely. But it doesn’t seem to be even coming remotely close to the ideal of having fun challenging close games rather than the almost constant stream of complete wipeout scores which are more usual because there is no strong and useful means to auto-balance the teams. You CERTAINLY can’t expect the players to balance themselves. They want to get their XP. You also don’t need to be trading some guy every 5 seconds. Just make strong decisions occasionally, if it is necessary, otherwise a simple program should be able to make the teams even pretty quickly based on runaway scores if not actually using server history to realize a more even and challenging game. Tight wars should always be the norm. It’s so obvious that the closest games are the most fun for everyone.

And saying things like "Just deal with it!" isn't very useful. I'm in the servers every day. These are real and true problems to your most usual, common customers who MAY become contributing donators for the server.
You might feel it easy to deal with these things; but the vast majority of players do not feel that way.
I mean strictly as a business model of trying to gain more money for Ibis, you should consider my rather very common complaints.
I think that most all players would decide to remain here or not quit in frustration or even buy admin because they came to love it here, if these obvious problems just didn't exist. They'd actually be here to consider donating! I think we lose a LOT of people to these problems. They just leave to where these things don't exist. Instead of always ignoring them, why can't we address them?

ok #1 respawn price is up to server owner and that is zero not any one else. And i like when people respawn they make it funner since you have to fend off some one with full health that may have wounded you. and most players use money to buy tomes so doesnt that mean making every thing higher would have to occur.

#2 The server isnt complete so yes deal with it. The server gets better when it has more races but just wait till/if zero put the one mega race like he had last time then you will really like the way it is now.

#3 People get to choose there own races so they have the choice to pick and we shouldn't have to balance it because one person dominates on certain races. You just need to figure ways to win some races are annoying but thats life. It is like you want a good player and they give you Bladetwinsword. Hardly fair but you can either help him out by going for you big guns(meaning best race you play on) or you can suck it up and try on the current one. Every race acts differently and people need to figure out ways to kill and protect themselves.

And these aren't real problems the real ones are the hackers and people that disrupt the servers.
Oh and isnt this post just like your last one and they answered some of your questions already if you read it

maynard
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not reading all that, those issues were already brought up in your last thread. don't make duplicate threads or you will lose them. these are issues we're well aware of, as you were informed on your last thread... it was also explained 2 you in the last thread that the server is far from finished, and that many issues will be dealt with, along with the rest of the races being released once zero gets back on focusing on the server.

we're aware of the condition of the server... we're just intelligent enough 2 realize that nothing can be done till zero starts doing work on it again, hence qqing about the same things over and over, regardless of the fact it's been brought up countless times by other seems.. well.. pointless...

if you want answers regarding the 3 issues you brought up in this thread, go look at the last thread you made containing the same issues...

Jeimuzu
07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I'ma just point one thing out that I thought was funny.. If they have to buy 6 lives, you should probably thank them for feeding you, and then proceed to laugh at them because they sucked to the point that they died 6 times.

Also, Nightelf owns both of those races... I would know, Vagabond and Spiderman are my favorite races aside from Genecide.