PDA

View Full Version : ISPs make agrement with RIAA/MPAA

StarsMine
07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
yea total bullshit

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/isps_agree_become_copyright_cops_riaa_and_co

Industry trade groups like the RIAA and the MPAA have been beating on Congressional doors for years now in a fruitless attempt to restrict Internet access for rampant file-sharers. Thanks to a tangled web of possible political and legal ramifications, the government's been hesitant to drop the banhammer on everyday pirates. Sick of the foot-dragging, the content associations just went Dirty Harry. No, they didn't take the law into their own hands – they bypassed it completely by forging a deal with the largest ISPs, who will now take a "graduated response" against file-sharers at the copyright owners' command.

Industry trade groups like the RIAA and the MPAA have been beating on Congressional doors for years now in a fruitless attempt to restrict Internet access for rampant file-sharers. Thanks to a tangled web of possible political and legal ramifications, the government's been hesitant to drop the banhammer on everyday pirates. Sick of the foot-dragging, the content associations just went Dirty Harry. No, they didn't take the law into their own hands – they bypassed it completely by forging a deal with the largest ISPs, who will now take a "graduated response" against file-sharers at the copyright owners' command.

(http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1668325~fd85b5e6dc493db2be4a6fb5125847b5/SixStrikes.pdf) The new agreement isn't a three-strikes-and-you're-out arrangement, as was previously rumored (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/isps_may_be_preparing_harsh_file_sharing_penalties _backed_entertainment_industry). Instead, Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Cablevision and Time Warner Cable will send users an alert "in response to a notice from a copyright holder" like the RIAA. If someone continues to download or upload copyrighted content, a "graduated response" takes effect: ISPs will redirect users to a splash page containing the warning or start sending pop-ups insinuating that their customers are dirty criminals. After five "alerts," the ISPs turn to "Mitigation measures," which are oh-so-nebulous "measures that the ISP may deem necessary to help resolve the matter."

The agreement cites a couple of examples of possible mitigation measures, such as reduced Internet speeds and users being stuck on a landing page until they call the ISP to talk about "educational information about copyright" and apparently pass some sort of quiz or something. Theoretically, "measures that the ISP may deem necessary" could involve the complete termination of services, although the agreement doesn't include that as a specific requirement.

Don't like the idea of having your Internet access subject to the whims of the RIAA? Feel you were wrongly accused to infringement? Tell it to the judge! Oh, wait, this agreement bypasses judges and courts because it "creates no new laws or formal legal procedures, nor does this system require account suspension or termination," so you can't tell it to the judge. If you think you were incorrectly accused of infringement, you can pay $35 to get an "independent review," whatever that means.

In addition to the RIAA and MPAA, PC World reports the "American Association of Independent Music, and the Independent Film and Television Alliance will participate in the agreement." We don't condone copyright infringement, but this doesn't seem like the right answer to the pirating problem.[/ isn't a three-strikes-and-you're-out arrangement, as was previously rumored. Instead, Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Cablevision and Time Warner Cable will send users an alert "in response to a notice from a copyright holder" like the RIAA. If someone continues to download or upload copyrighted content, a "graduated response" takes effect: ISPs will redirect users to a splash page containing the warning or start sending pop-ups insinuating that their customers are dirty criminals. After five "alerts," the ISPs turn to "Mitigation measures," which are oh-so-nebulous "measures that the ISP may deem necessary to help resolve the matter."

The agreement cites a couple of examples of possible mitigation measures, such as reduced Internet speeds and users being stuck on a landing page until they call the ISP to talk about "educational information about copyright" and apparently pass some sort of quiz or something. Theoretically, "measures that the ISP may deem necessary" could involve the complete termination of services, although the agreement doesn't include that as a specific requirement.

Don't like the idea of having your Internet access subject to the whims of the RIAA? Feel you were wrongly accused to infringement? Tell it to the judge! Oh, wait, this agreement bypasses judges and courts because it "creates no new laws or formal legal procedures, nor does this system require account suspension or termination," so you can't tell it to the judge. If you think you were incorrectly accused of infringement, you can pay $35 to get an "independent review," whatever that means.

In addition to the RIAA and MPAA, PC World reports (http://www.pcworld.com/article/235201/broadband_providers_to_send_subscribers_filesharin g_alerts.html) the "American Association of Independent Music, and the Independent Film and Television Alliance will participate in the agreement." We don't condone copyright infringement, but this doesn't seem like the right answer to the pirating problem.

This makes no sense, ISP have actually defending pirates as they give them alot of business. They avoid as much as possible terminating your internet because they lose a customer, they constantly tell the RIAA and MPAA to shove off when they ask for details of suspected content downloaders. How the hell did they get this deal? How much money did they shove in the ISPs face

clicked on the PDF for the new agreement , first thing I see total absolute bull****.
CONTENT THEFT >.<
Online content theft acounts for 373000 jobs my ass.

oh and then the last page
What the fuck

In addition to exposure from violating copyright law and published policies,
viruses, malware and spyware described above, the use of P2P applications can
expose a consumer’s bank account numbers, tax returns, and sensitive health
information to other P2P users.

elpolloloco
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
This is bullshit, but sometimes bullshit happens. Napster, in theory, never should have been shut down originally, but it did.

Even if it does go through, the RIAA is retarded. People are just going to find as new way around it. So instead of sharing MP3',s people will start zipping or pgp'ing their files. There's no way to prove that a PGP file is actually the mp3 file unless you have someone's key. All it's going to do is just drive up the cost of internet access because people are going to start suing ISP's.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-07-2011, 03:57 PM
This is bullshit, but sometimes bullshit happens. Napster, in theory, never should have been shut down originally, but it did.

Even if it does go through, the RIAA is retarded. People are just going to find as new way around it. So instead of sharing MP3',s people will start zipping or pgp'ing their files. There's no way to prove that a PGP file is actually the mp3 file unless you have someone's key. All it's going to do is just drive up the cost of internet access because people are going to start suing ISP's.

i predict that the old usenet newsgroups will start to see more and more popularity. that and irc xdcc bots. personally, i get all my music from xdcc bots anymore, but the binary files from usenet things are just that, .txt files made up of 1's and 0's, that your computer re compiles into usable ####. thus, hey are pretty much untraceable.

ZERO
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
No what they are going to do is just shut off anyone that is using a lot of bandwidth regardless of what they are doing. Then tell them to give them more money or take away their service.

It will be interesting to see what the FCC has to say about this. We know that in the past ISPs got in trouble for throttling bandwidth and now they will be doing the same thing just under a different hat. You can not accuse your customers of doing something and then charge them more money for it without evidence.

StarsMine
07-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Uhg, hate using xdcc, can only download one thing at a time, and then their are very few people who keep an organized list of whats on the damn bot.

@pollo, it would be stupid to just look for file extension in the first place. people can rename whatever they want, and for all they know it could be a demo they passed around themselves.

How do they designate illegal files? Torrent won't work because there are a majority of legal torrents. File name doesn't work because it could signify a demo or licensed digital download. Extension won't work because there are plenty of legal and free mp3s, avi, etc. on the web. Sounds like they will be targeting those with high transfer volumes and just making up the rest.

ZERO
07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Simple, they will just declare all torrent traffic is a violation.

StarsMine
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Simple, they will just declare all torrent traffic is a violation.

Which is bullshit as that is the best way for indie distrobution out there

Make a 1+ gig file ment to be given to alot of people but dont have the money to put it on a server, torrent it.

Derezzler
07-07-2011, 06:44 PM
I dont think my ISP will be affected, but none the less this is still stupid.:stupid:

Steamer
07-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Most smaller ISP's route their traffic through a larger ISP's "pipes". Trust me, you will be affected one way or another.

I read about this a month ago. Expected them to go through with it. No surprise to me. As Zero pretty much summed up, it's more of a bandwidth / money issue for the ISP than copyright infringement "education".

StarsMine
07-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Their claim from the first link in the artical (the sixstrikes PDF)

19. Isn’t this just about ISPs trying to reduce online traffic?
• No. The fastest-growing segment of web traffic is legal online content that
subscribers will be encouraged to use. Access to lawful content services is
expanding rapidly, and ISPs are seeing more households add broadband service
and TV service at the same time. According to Nielsen, the number of
households with both a broadband connection and a home television subscription
increased in the last year from 61% to 66% of households.

That 35$ to clear your name is also pure bullshit

Steamer
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Their claim from the first link in the artical (the sixstrikes PDF)

19. Isn’t this just about ISPs trying to reduce online traffic?
• No. The fastest-growing segment of web traffic is legal online content that
subscribers will be encouraged to use. Access to lawful content services is
expanding rapidly, and ISPs are seeing more households add broadband service
and TV service at the same time. According to Nielsen, the number of
households with both a broadband connection and a home television subscription
increased in the last year from 61% to 66% of households.

Yea.. Ok... Netflix? Lies.

StarsMine
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Netflix is taking massive ammounts of bandwidth. ONlive to for those who use it (massive, really massive)

Steamer
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Yes.. And ISP's are against that. Mostly the ones with television services also (which is most, more so with Comcast and AT&T). I remember when they where QQ'ing about broadband costs associated with these "bandwidth hogs"...

This one pretty much explains what I'm trying to sum up. http://articles.philly.com/2010-12-01/business/25293030_1_comcast-customers-net-neutrality-chairman-julius-genachowski

Man they are fucking stupid in their PR statements / repercussion document's. Such blatant lies.

Fluffy Frufflebottoms
07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Typical American service provider attitudes. This should surprise no one.

Most smaller ISP's route their traffic through a larger ISP's "pipes". Trust me, you will be affected one way or another.

I read about this a month ago. Expected them to go through with it. No surprise to me. As Zero pretty much summed up, it's more of a bandwidth / money issue for the ISP than copyright infringement "education".

That kind of transit traffic isn't pushed through a BRAS, though. If your ISP doesn't participate, then you won't be affected.

Derezzler
07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah, my ISP does not even honor cease and desists. Its a owned by Lafayette Consolidated Government and all they care about is making money.

elpolloloco
07-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I was reading up on this. So technically there's no fine or jail time. It's basically just getting the ISP's to annoy the fuck out of you with alerts/popups/redirects warning you.

Technically it isn't THAT bad, but I just see this as a stepping stone. You get the framework built to monitor everything, talk the ISP's into it easily because they won't be "penalizing" their customers, just warning them. The ISP's say "ok it's not that bad" and agree.

THEN the RIAA gets congress to allow them to use the already built framework to financially penalize people.

Step 1.. collect underpants

Step 2...

Step 3.. MAKE MONEY!

StarsMine
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
You can still encrypt you data. Its not like the isps are giving the mpaa our info. Mpaa will just be doing wht the normally do and collect the isps who download a spicific file and sena letter down the line. Just now the isps will keep track of the letters