PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for a change to knife fights

Tac
07-12-2011, 12:43 AM
One thing that I really like about this server is noblock, being able to get through tight hallways without getting stuck on your teammates is great! Alas, it comes at a price, and to me that price seems to be the fact that no block simply ruins knife fights. I'm sure some people will disagree with me, at the same time I don't doubt those are the same people that have gotten used to simply running through their enemy and knifing their back hitbox for a quick and easy one hit kill. While it is efficient and even "cool" in some peoples eyes, it's really not the way I personally think knife fights should be.

My proposal to fix that problem is simple, simply have noblock toggle off at the beginning of the knife fight, and come back on at the beginning of the next round. That way players end up with the best of both worlds.

Discuss.

Nemesis
07-12-2011, 02:46 AM
here's a tip; don't run straight at people.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-12-2011, 06:53 AM
One thing that I really like about this server is noblock, being able to get through tight hallways without getting stuck on your teammates is great! Alas, it comes at a price, and to me that price seems to be the fact that no block simply ruins knife fights. I'm sure some people will disagree with me, at the same time I don't doubt those are the same people that have gotten used to simply running through their enemy and knifing their back hitbox for a quick and easy one hit kill. While it is efficient and even "cool" in some peoples eyes, it's really not the way I personally think knife fights should be.

My proposal to fix that problem is simple, simply have noblock toggle off at the beginning of the knife fight, and come back on at the beginning of the next round. That way players end up with the best of both worlds.

Discuss.

lol. that is all.

i'm guessing you can't flash-stab someone, or you wouldn't be complaining.

X 1 Viper1
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Here is another tip.....Don't suck

Andrew_Pavlik
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I can't do the 1hit kill through someones back, but I am generally aware of the people who do and I just don't let them run through me.

Tac
07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
here's a tip; don't run straight at people.

I am well aware of how to counter it, but, with how retarded source hitboxes are, that doesn't actually work that well.

lol. that is all.

i'm guessing you can't flash-stab someone, or you wouldn't be complaining.

I'd actually consider myself pretty good at it, I was doing it last night in the server to prove my point. While I do admit I'm not excellent, I can pull of >70% of those knifes.

Here is another tip.....Don't suck

How mature, thank you for posting constructive feedback on my idea and explaining exactly how good or bad it is. Also I really hate to throw stats in here, but I don't think I'm that terrible: http://www.ibisgaming.com/gg_stats/player.php?id=66113

I can't do the 1hit kill through someones back, but I am generally aware of the people who do and I just don't let them run through me.

1 hit kills can still be done if they are strafing at a correct angle aiming slightly behind you due to how hitboxes lag behind, therefore that doesn't really prevent it.

I appreciate the comments, but what I'm looking for here is not "You suck l2play" and "Just do this to get around it" but some actual constructive ideas. I want to know why you guys think this is a good idea, or why you think its a bad one. Not quippy one liners about how terrible I am.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
you want to know if people think it's a good idea?

lets see:

Nemesis: don't run straight at people...not an agreement, more of a way to avoid this situation, thus he thinks it's bad idea.

me: obviously disagreeing with it

viper: "don't suck"...another disagree there.

andrew: suggestion to avoid this incident occurring...therefor disagree

there's 4 disagrees right there. if we thought it was a problem, we'd have agreed with you flat out. :wtg:

current standing:
4 (against) vs 1 (supports)

Steamer
07-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Quite honestly, I agree with your idea.

I can back-knife ok, it doesn't bother me getting knifed that way. I sometimes rush straight in and try and get one off for the hell of it. I think bringing back the "correct" way of knifing is a great idea.

I don't see it being very hard to implement either.

I thought knife rounds were much more fun with the dodging and no run through.

B1ackOut
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
i always run to the sides to flank them and causes both of us to strafe, this ussually causes the match to be more of dodging and quick movements as opposed to backknifing contest. If you dont let them, it really does lower the chances that you will be backnifed. Just dont pussy out and it works.

Derezzler
07-12-2011, 07:15 PM
If I think someones gonna back knife me, I just don't knife fight them. Simple in my opinion

Nemesis
07-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I am well aware of how to counter it, but, with how retarded source hitboxes are, that doesn't actually work that well.

If it doesn't work that well then no, you have no idea how to counter it.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-12-2011, 08:38 PM
If it doesn't work that well then no, you have no idea how to counter it.

pwn'd

Tac
07-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Only one person so far got what I was trying to say. Try to understand as I am not complaining about back knifing as much as I want to just have proper knife fights. I don't want to have to strafe around them to get them to fight be normally, I want to fight them normally from the second both of the parties accept.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Only one person so far got what I was trying to say. Try to understand as I am not complaining about back knifing as much as I want to just have proper knife fights. I don't want to have to strafe around them to get them to fight be normally, I want to fight them normally from the second both of the parties accept.

we understood.

funny how the only person you thought understood was the one agreeing with you...

Rellikdloc
08-06-2011, 07:00 PM
i have to say the hitboxes are crazy too. i never knife thru the back shit and never run thru someone on purpose not that i cant do it, i just prefer not bein able to run thru someone. most times when i do get back knifed im facing the person. If you play here alot u know most ppl try to stab me by runing thru and tryin to get by back, b/c they cannot get me any other way unless there are more then 1. I say bring back the old way.

CYBER
08-07-2011, 01:16 AM
i sensed a disturbance in the force when someone mentionned that they were annoyed at back knifers.
As an experienced back knifer (honestly, only a few can ever out-back-knife me in my prime days when i had a decent gaming pc..) i can tell you that you CAN avoid a back knife by dancing around.
if you are too foolish to run STRAIGHT at a backknifer, then you simply SUCK at it. Specially if you dont have the speed and timing for a proper pre-knife kill.
i taught almost 20 people how to pull off back knives in less than 10 minutes, u can ask speaker of the dead, pandaboy, SHADY VIRUS (ok honestly im not sure who taught who on this one:P) etc... and most of them can pull off an even better knife fight than me and most people....

either LEARN how to do it BETTER than those who stab you, and stop bitching about it , or learn to avoid them or do the old taunt+distract+GOTCHA BITCH manoeuver... and then stop bitching about it ...
so the only solid advice i can say is STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT... lol...

geezus back in the days i would have been mad raging on you in game just for even questioning the knifing technique!:P
cyber out.

bigcraig77
08-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Can you enable no block to only work on your team mates? that would solve a handful of problems at once.

I do love snuffn' noobs like that tho.

-loc

Tac
08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Once again, the point of this thread is not to whine about back knifing, but a request to have "proper" knife fights.

Also, pretty sure anyone who has actually played with me can vouch for me that I have no problems pulling off back knives.

Rapedollar$
08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
No...

Dana
08-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I would love it if no block was turned off for knife fights. I think it's so cheap when people do it...

Nemesis
08-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Guys, the reason you're getting back knifed is because you run straight at someone. the entire strategy is null if you take the slightest of angles.

Next you'll be suggesting that our bullets should do less dmg to those of you with downs syndrome.

X 1 Viper1
08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I love how he is saying we should have "proper knife fights"

Don't you think that maybe on this fucking server that the way we have it now (and for years) is the proper way for this community? If you want to have a different kind of knife fight go to another fucking server, because you definately have not been around nearly long enough to have any fucking influence on how this server should be run...

Rapedollar$
08-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I love how he is saying we should have "proper knife fights"

Don't you think that maybe on this fucking server that the way we have it now (and for years) is the proper way for this community? If you want to have a different kind of knife fight go to another fucking server, because you definately have not been around nearly long enough to have any fucking influence on how this server should be run...

this..

plus didnt i say no?

slipstream
08-16-2011, 11:32 AM
hitboxes dont move in time with player models, so if no block was on, you would hear "SWORD" all that much more. since the only way for us to see hitboxes is to cheat, because having them just turned on via the server is stupid, you dont know where the hitboxes are. so when people are dancing around, and you know you hit the model at least, but no hit actually happened, well, thats due to fail hitboxes. im sure everyone already knows this by now, but that is why i like no block the way it is. you can dance around all you want, and if you have the better connection and higher fps, chances are you will win the fight, but at least with no block the way it is, i stand a chance against everyone. i can run into the other person and at least get a normal hit if i miss the back. then its all about who can land the next hit first.