PDA

View Full Version : text spam

slipstream
08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
As of late a few admins feel the need to continuously slap one, or all players at the end of every single round on the gun game server, haven't seen it the last few days I have been on zmod so I am not sure if they do it there too. Now if there were no text chatting, or, if there were no message that says someone is being slapped, this wouldn't be a problem, but since not everyone uses a mic, like myself, I have to chat using my keyboard. So how is it possible to read what someone else writes when the admin is spamming the chat with slaps. Spam is spam. Normal players get in trouble for spamming.

III. Spamming
1) Yelling into a mic repeatedly to disrupt game play
2) The use of HLSS
A) Can be used with permission from admin or if players are requesting it
B) Should not be overused or used for long durations
3) Advertising for another server or clan
A) Preformed by saying: Join here xx.xxx.xx.x.x
B) Such as come to XXX join my clan
C) Getting people to join player groups can be done via steam. Do not wast chat space for this sort of thing
4) Just typing a bunch of stuff to spam the chat

Having slap all players on a bind means they only have to press one button, which only makes the spam that much faster. Last few times in particular that I remember, I don't know who said something, or what they said, I never checked in console (and I sure as hell shouldn't have to check in console in the first place to see what someone said), but their message disappeared behind a wall of slap messages in less than a second.

It's annoying, it's spam, the admins need to chill out and use their admin powers the way they are supposed to. The occasional time is fine, I will record the next time an admin feels the need to do this every single round. People get punished for spamming, and admins are not above the rules.

maynard
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
maybe you should purchase a mic:wtg:

also
) Just typing a bunch of stuff to spam the chat doesn't count towards this as it's not being typed, it's SM saying the command that was used.

slipstream
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
they have to type the command, or type the button in the bind, its typing either way, and i dont have to buy a mic i am perfectly capable of typing, way to address the issue by completely ignoring it, admins spamming the text area so players that dont use mics cannot chat, ya, that seems against the rules to me. maybe im missing something, are admins allowed to spam like that? are admins actually above the rules?

it is mostly newer admins, and really, the new admins dont need more than mute/kick/ban, obviously they are going to play around with their new powers, but there is no reason to do it every time they are on, every map, every round. like i said, ill get demos, it wont be hard unless they actually stop because of this thread, it happens every time certain admins are on.

people want me to stop bitching, then stop being fucking stupid.

maynard
08-22-2011, 10:23 PM
lol.... there's a reason you're the only person having this communication issue, once again, buy a mic:wtg:

admins slapping people around at the end of GG rounds has always gone on... it's nothing new, nor does it mess with the game or the persons score in anyway, so it's not an issue.

Disflux
08-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I am an admin, and I normally never use a mic. I've only used a mic twice in the past 6+ months that I've been playing on Ibis. The only times that admins, according to you, "spam" chat is either at the end of a round or at the end of the map. Either way, guess what I do? I patiently wait until the next round to express whatever opinion I may have in my head. Why are you so pissed off because you can't wait for 5 seconds for the next round to start or for the map to change? Personally, when I"m having a conversation with another person or a group of people I don't stand with them in a tiny room filled with 15+ other people. If you want to have a conversation with someone, add them on Steam, and then talk to them via steam chat. If you want to have "social interaction" with a group of people. Get out. Or blog. Or go on forums. Don't go on a CSS server to PLAY A GAME and then complain on our forums because you can't have a private conversation with another person in a public area.

ZERO
08-22-2011, 10:38 PM
There may be a way to get it so the slap message only shows in console or something. I will need to look into the configuration options.

maynard
08-22-2011, 10:41 PM
the only issue with that is no 1 else can then see people casting slap. someone could be abusing slap in an actual abuse sense, and you wouldn't even know it till the person freaked out....

I think given he's the only person 2 EVER complain about this, he should just buck up.

acolyte_to_jippity
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I think given he's the only person 2 EVER complain about this, he should just buck up.

+1

who cares. if you must use text chat for convos in-game, maybe it's better to use steam chat.

Bane of Soldiers
08-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't use a mic and I get along fine. Been on the servers for 1yr and 5mon. The zombie mod admins are a little more free with slapping/slaying at the end of a map, so I know what you're saying. Even though you shouldn't have to, there really is no harm in simply scrolling up? Or looking through console.....If it's simply at the end of the map I don't think it would be a problem, it's all in good humor, plus the map change would interrupt your converstaion anyway....and hiding admin commands in console make it more difficult to tell if an admin's abusing.....So, as suggested, use steam chat, buy a mic, or bear with it. It isn't a large problem and it's a source of amusement for regulars, so I say let things be

maynard
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
well I say all this as someone who reads the chat non stop, and pretty much never uses mic... unless he reads at like a 2'nd grade level I don't understand what his issue is....

and yes, making it harder 2 catch admin abusers is counter productive.

maynard, no one can read a sentence in less than a second, while it's moving, especially when it disappears completely during that fraction of a second. reading level has nothing to do with it.

apparently I can, as ive never once had this issue you're going on about

there ya go.

Nemesis
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
If you're too poor to afford a mic (which is probably the case) i can send you an old one of mine. I also have some extra canned goods that i can send sound Christmas time to stem the suicidal thoughts.

slipstream
08-23-2011, 12:02 AM
See, the problem was never like this in the past, there was never an excess of slapping at the end of every round. When it is done occasionally that is fine, but it is getting out of hand. There is no need to do it every single round, and that is the point all of you seem to be missing.

maynard, no one can read a sentence in less than a second, while it's moving, especially when it disappears completely during that fraction of a second. reading level has nothing to do with it.

How about admins just stop doing it so often, there is no need for it. And if I am talking with someone because I died early, and they did too, and then the round ends all of a sudden, since the admins have slap on a bind, if I am typing something, or the person I am talking to is typing something, our message will be lost if the slapping starts as soon as the round ends, which is what always happens due to the binds. So disflux tells me to wait until the next round starts, but if the person I am talking to posts his message, then the slapping starts right away, you're telling me I should go into console during the next round to see what they said? I don't fucking think so, and if that happens to a message I write, which it does a lot, I am expected to rewrite it at the start of the next round? Again, I don't fucking think so. Don't spam admin commands that spam the chat.

Oh and what's his face, dudeee or what ever, he has actually spammed slap during a round, on himself, but none of the other admins online at the time told him to stop, they just wondered what he was doing. He wasn't shooting anyone, just slapping himself.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/2255499619_99d5e0f737.jpg

maynard
08-23-2011, 12:06 AM
the hell are you talking about, your msg is never lost... it's called console, you know that huge log that shows all the chat? push 1 button and it opens.

like I said, there's a reason you're the first and only person 2 have this issue, every 1 else manages just fine cause they know how 2 use the console.. maybe you don't have yours turned on, I don't know....

Nemesis
08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
the hell are you talking about, your msg is never lost... it's called console, you know that huge log that shows all the chat? push 1 button and it opens.

like I said, there's a reason you're the first and only person 2 have this issue, every 1 else manages just fine cause they know how 2 use the console.. maybe you don't have yours turned on, I don't know....

do poor people have access to console too? no wonder it's always so dirty...

maynard
08-23-2011, 12:14 AM
.....Lol

Bane of Soldiers
08-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Yes, it may be annoying, but it's so trivial and pointless when there are ways to get around it

slipstream
08-23-2011, 12:55 AM
if i am talking to someone, and some stupid admin insists on spamming slap, it does interrupt the conversation, and to have to go into console to see what they said is the stupidest suggestion, how about the admins stop being stupid with the slapping. its spam, its unnecessary. there is no good argument anyone can make as to why the admins feel the need to do this every round. kthx, you all fail, i hope zero figures something out, removing it altogether is fine too, if admins abuse it, a demo is not hard to make, and you can see people flying around.

@nemesis
are you this stupid irl? i can afford a computer but not a microphone, love the logic. ever think that maybe i dont want to use a microphone? ill answer that for you, no you havent, because youre an idiot, dont believe me about you being an idiot, refer to the WCS post you made

maynard
08-23-2011, 12:59 AM
if admins abuse it, a demo is not hard to make, and you can see people flying around.

how many times does it need 2 be explained 2 you that it's not admin abuse... nor is it a mystery that it happens from time 2 time, and un-like you're trying 2 claim, it does not happen every round.

http://i.imgur.com/xp8Tb.png

there ya go, thx tac.

closed/resolved....

Tac
08-23-2011, 12:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/xp8Tb.png

Remember that update from few years back that everyone hated that changed the chat? Yea, that's your solution right there, see that filter button? Yeaaaa...