PDA

View Full Version : Vent Limit Rule

Rezel
08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
As everyone knows, there is a bunch of issues with the limit of people in the vents. I am currently working on a few ideas so that we can better this rule, as I said in my previous post there is both pro's and con's to the rule. Benifits of this would be more gameplay flow, a major issue on the zombiemod is when the entire team is in one crouch spot, and the only thin the zombies can do is either let themselves get killed, or run around like idiots hoping someone will come out of boredom. Also the people in the vents get bored because they zombies don't even try to get them because they know how much of an impossible feat it is to kill them.
If refined this rule could keep the gameplay moving so that the gameplay is constantly moving, and not dead in the water. The cons to this rule is the many different types of vents that each map has, Though there are many different types of vents, it is hard to dictate a rule with such a broadness. It also puts more weight on the admins because they have to figure out how to enforce it. Even more the question is how to tell which person was in there first, and what person came after the spot was technically full.

The answer to those cons? - It was expected that the rule limiting the amount of people in the crouch spots to be rough at first for the admins, though like any rule once it actually picks up and all the regulars get used to it; it tends to become second nature efor the server because everyone is already aware of the rule. As seen with the rest of the rules, given a particular amount of time it will be absorbed the the community (regulars) and helped enforced by them. To who is in there first; the rule allowing players to block each other out of the barricading spots has been allowed, hense whoever gets in there first is responsible for everyone and anyone who enters the barricade after them. If there are to many people in the barricade, or too many people attempting to get in the barricade then the first people just have to block them. There really is on point in over complicating things (Keep it simple).

As for the rule itself, I have come up with a few new rewording for it, you guys can debate on your opinions about it, and hopefully come up with a solution which benifits the server overall.

"Single file vents (one person at a time) is limited to how many entrances are accesable. Single entrance vent are limited to only two people; vents with more than one entrance are allowed up to 4 people in the vent at a single time. (this rule is only limited to having to crouch, if you are in a vent where you are not crouching, then it does not fall under this rule."

-Rezel

slipstream
08-24-2011, 11:10 AM
not vents, crouch spots, there are some maps with spots that only have one way to get to the human, and you have to crouch. any vent or vent-like spot should use the same rules

Andrew_Pavlik
08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
While I support a rule like this, there are just some maps where there are just to few spots to cade well or at all that a crouch spot is the only chance for survival.

B1ackOut
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
does barricading a second entrance remove the fact that there is a second entrance, or are 4 people still allowed to be in the vent?

Rezel
08-24-2011, 01:59 PM
That is a good point blackout, if we break it down technically it does since thats also falling under barricading crouch spots. Though this probably needs to be debated like places under the stage where you put the money crate into the hole so that zombies cannot get in that side. In my opinion it would be aimed as a single opening since you are barricading the other side, though would probably be only for some spots (I wouldn't qualify under the stage as one since the opening is bigger.

Andrew_Pavlik

While I support a rule like this, there are just some maps where there are just to few spots to cade well or at all that a crouch spot is the only chance for survival.

We could compile a list of maps which only have crouch spots and just remove them from the server totally, there is only a few in which I think Actually would be ok. An example would be the vent map with the gook pit bathroom, and truck room because the only spot you can cade in t he vents has 2 entrances, hence 2 people on each side.

slipstream

not vents, crouch spots, there are some maps with spots that only have one way to get to the human, and you have to crouch. any vent or vent-like spot should use the same rules

Why I said we need to refine the rule...

Steamer
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Most single space vents NEED 2 people to survive. No more. Uncaded of coarse. No, not crouch spots, there are too many with limited space that wont even be worth going to anymore. Some crouched VENTS (Snoopie) need a 2/4 rule. Some crouch spots are shallow and long (longways, not deep) and easily tagable by a run, crouch jump.

maynard
08-24-2011, 03:29 PM
id wait 2 see if zero even keeps the rule before putting 2 much work into it.

Bane of Soldiers
08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
How it's worded, that rule doesn't apply to a large vent in zm_holdoutmountain_fixed....Basically a one entrance-crouch spot entrance that opens up into a large vent that can fit up to and probably over 7 people if they use the space efficiently. You don't need to crouch in this vent, so you might want to exclusively single out these kind of spots, or adapt the rule. But anyhow, the rule seems to be developing well, hopefully it will spread through the server as mentioned :wtg:

acolyte_to_jippity
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
How it's worded, that rule doesn't apply to a large vent in zm_holdoutmountain_fixed....Basically a one entrance-crouch spot entrance that opens up into a large vent that can fit up to and probably over 7 people if they use the space efficiently. You don't need to crouch in this vent, so you might want to exclusively single out these kind of spots, or adapt the rule. But anyhow, the rule seems to be developing well, hopefully it will spread through the server as mentioned :wtg:

that spot's fine. two deformed and a classic destroys it, if they actually try hard enough

Bane of Soldiers
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm talking about incidents when there's more than 5 people in there..... it just gets ridiculous

pwnage
08-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm talking about incidents when there's more than 5 people in there..... it just gets ridiculous
This is true. Not only does this vastly increase the risk of someone becoming the first zombie, but with over like 5 people it almost is impossible to get in. ...if all the CT's work together that is.