PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane!!!

pwnage
08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok, so since people decided to flip shit about the earthquake, I thought I'd start people out on a new topic...the "hurricane" thats going to "bombard" the east coast. I'm in Vermont and people are freaking out about how a cat 3 hurricane is going to hit us head on. For some reason, they don't seem to get that we are 150+ miles (at least where I live) from the ocean. AND, the storm is only supposed to have like 60 mph winds, which is, I will admit, pretty decent winds, but nothing compared to a cat 3, lol.

So, before New England starts thinking we're all gonna die...well....we're not :stupid::stupid::stupid:

Dj panda
08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Earthquake was so intense that i slept thru it :o lol it was a pathetic excuse for an earthquake and people flipped. This hurricane is going to rape Ny most likley, long island might get butt fucked but otherwise it wont be so bad. Nice knowing that we wont get hit as hard as most predicted.

KɅΞW
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
The last time we got a hurricane down here around Houston area was back in 08. The damage that Ike did to my town was no where near what Galveston took, but the worse part of it was the city wide blackout. It took the utility company weeks to restore power and they had to bring in thousands of people and trucks from other states for emergency help. Man, that year was just full of nightmares; hurricane, recession, and then my mother was diagnosed for cancer. :banghead:

toma
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
most of a hurricane's damage comes from flooding from storm surgers and from the rain fall, Hurricane IKE hit the texas coast as a CAT 2 (~110 mph winds) and parts of Houston looked like the forrest of Narnia + Flooding and there were places here that were without power for months and houston is about 70 to 80 miles away. the amount of damage is going to be more on how fast this storm is going to move over the new england states. doesn't have to be a hurricane to cause major flooding, case in point TS Allison...during that storm it took me 5 hrs to move 1 mile on I-10, it was a slow moving storm. so what i'm trying to say here is, just cause the winds aren't that strong if there is heavy rain there is still possibilities of heavy damage. So keep an eye on the weather and stay safe you east coasters.

pro tip. if you have to go outside during the storm use a Golf Umbrella with the double layer vent shit. will not invert. My Nike Golf umbrella was tested during Ike when i was outside during the storm to fix a busted water pipe going into my house. but if you don't need to go outside, for your safety and to help the local response teams to be more effective stay off the fucken roads during the storm <3

brett friggin favre
08-26-2011, 12:05 PM
vermont is just gonna get a crapload of rain and some pretty good wind. may have some weak trees and branches down, may have SOME flooding just because of rain but that's it. it's gonna be a big ass thunderstorm and that's it lol.

p.s. i was in new orleans for katrina so yes i know what i'm talking about

Evil
08-26-2011, 02:20 PM
This Hurricane (Hurricane Irene) is going to hit Manhattan in New York. I live in the Bronx of New York, so I'm good. :smirk:

acolyte_to_jippity
08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
i got friends from RofL in NY, and they're somewhat worried. in philly though, most people don't really give as shit. rain is rain. that's all.

Steamer
08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I live in its outer path... -_-

Andrew_Pavlik
08-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Here in upstate ny we have real bad flood problems so people are worried about that, and other then that it's just going to be a big storm for us.

Hitman
08-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Im in Brooklyn.....And people are flipping out ebcause the news is causing panic.....Jesus Christ....its only going to rain with some wind.....

Andrew_Pavlik
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I have friends in NYC being evacuated, are asking to be hitman?

Penis シ
08-26-2011, 04:19 PM
So I'm in the Poconos. The forecast is rain, wind, and probable loss of power. So if I don't see you guys on sunday, I'll see you when I DO have power!:icon_mrgreen:

Osage
08-26-2011, 04:27 PM
got my supplies ready and my mossberg 500 fully loaded (looters :P), only problem is my basements gonna flood like a bitch. it floods in even minor rainstorms, so this is not gonna be fun, at least in terms of cleanup. guess i'll have to sit in my living room and hope all goes well.

toma
08-26-2011, 04:31 PM
most dangerous parts of the storm will be the dirty side which is the leading north side and the walls of the storm, and osage you can get board for your windows at your local home depot =P this is mostly recommended if you live in an area with lots of trees and lots of loose fixtures outside cause they can get blown into your house. stay safe =)

acolyte_to_jippity
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
my mom's been sending me emails telling me to stay inside and go stock up on food so that i don't need to go shopping on sunday...

Rosie
08-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I lived in Wilmington, NC for about 4 years and this looks like a pretty decent storm. By the time it makes it to NY it could just be a TS depending on how far inland the storm makes it. The worst part will be after the eye passes and the southwest wall of the storm will carry alot of water with it. I now live in the mountains of NC and our weather forcast is 85 and sunny. So if your in the path good luck to you.

Hitman
08-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Yea I was asked to evacuate too...im just a few blocks from the water....Still not worried. I expect to be otuside on my inflatable raft fishing....LOL

ZERO
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
There may be increased lag on the servers as a result of network disruptions. Any increase though should be minimal to non existent for those of us outside of the path. While the servers are located in the area that may lose power we will still be rocking like nothing is going on thanks to:

8 x 750Kva UPS Battery Backup Units
3 x 2-Megawatt Generators w/On-site Fuel Storage
Redundant Liebert 30-ton HVAC Units

So even when the power cuts your gaming will keep going :assault:

For those of you in the North East, I pray that you will all be safe in during and after the storm. If your close to shore in the effected areas your better off leaving home so we can play again next week rather than in the middle of a game we hear someone get their house blown up. :wtg:

Evil
08-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I do hope everyone is safe after the storm. Really wouldn't want to hear anyone saying, "This person had died during the Irene Hurricane." and such. God forbid any of that.............................................. ........................ :plzdie:

acolyte_to_jippity
08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
There may be increased lag on the servers as a result of network disruptions. Any increase though should be minimal to non existent for those of us outside of the path. While the servers are located in the area that may lose power we will still be rocking like nothing is going on thanks to:

For those of you in the North East, I pray that you will all be safe in during and after the storm. If your close to shore in the effected areas your better off leaving home so we can play again next week rather than in the middle of a game we hear someone get their house blown up. :wtg:

wait, this storm is carrying explosives???

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

brett friggin favre
08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
the only people that have anything to worry about would be those in low-lying coastal areas, especially in the southern path of the storm. as it moves up the coast it'll get weaker but it'll still be a wicked ass storm. if you're in one of those areas, get an axe. just do it. and don't get cocky when the front end of the storm blows through and you're ok...with katrina, the shit hit the fan for the city and my house just north of new orleans. thats what made the levees break and what blew 3 trees onto my house so yeah

pwnage
08-26-2011, 09:05 PM

LOL...that's pimp, not gonna lie.

Steamer
08-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Gotta grab shit tomo for this crap.. Don't live coastal.. well mostly... more so around rivers and bays. I know the man made lake in front of my house will most likely flood. Won't reach my place but will flood the street and shit. This shit is gonna suck. Most likely I will lose power sometime this weekend.

Cry_Wolf
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
You guys seem to forget that we have A LOT of shit in NYC. And With high winds things tend to fly! Flooding is meh for me. The big thing is making sure my windows don't get busted by someones crap that was left in their yard or in the street. So yeah, if anything really super bad happens; its most likely local outages and broken windows. But, Im definitely prep'd.

brett friggin favre
08-26-2011, 10:26 PM
You guys seem to forget that we have A LOT of shit in NYC. And With high winds things tend to fly! Flooding is meh for me. The big thing is making sure my windows don't get busted by someones crap that was left in their yard or in the street. So yeah, if anything really super bad happens; its most likely local outages and broken windows. But, Im definitely prep'd.

the winds shouldn't be too bad by the time she gets to you. as soon as hurricanes hit land they start deteriorating rapidly...the rains remain but the winds can't survive without warm water, and since it'll be riding along the coast it'll probably be a tropical storm (im no meteorologist but that's my educated guess after living in louisiana for 19 years) or at worst a cat 1 when it gets to you. dont get me wrong, 70 mph winds are not something you wanna walk around in if it is indeed a cat 1 when it hits you, but things big enough to cause damage shouldn't be flying around.

toma
08-26-2011, 11:03 PM
meh i say better safe then sorry, if you got a chain saw keep it topped off with gas, have some gloves and goggles for those who are expected to have 50+ mph winds...even at 50 mph tree limbs can break off and do some damage...like i said houston which is ~80 miles from the coast got hit hard in some areas where trees fell over...like huge ones...had to cut out parts of it to let cars go through...so basically you were driving in between tree trunks of one tree in parts of Memorial and i think winds were at that time in the 70s when it got to houston...i could be wrong.

Osage
08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
my mom is in the process of buying a beach house on tilghman island on the eastern shore of maryland (about 50 miles from the coast). this probably doesn't bode well for the possibility of buying the house in good condition :/

edit: by beachside, i mean bayside :P

brett friggin favre
08-26-2011, 11:20 PM
meh i say better safe then sorry, if you got a chain saw keep it topped off with gas, have some gloves and goggles for those who are expected to have 50+ mph winds...even at 50 mph tree limbs can break off and do some damage...like i said houston which is ~80 miles from the coast got hit hard in some areas where trees fell over...like huge ones...had to cut out parts of it to let cars go through...so basically you were driving in between tree trunks of one tree in parts of Memorial and i think winds were at that time in the 70s when it got to houston...i could be wrong.

i'm well aware of the tree danger, but it shouldn't be much of an issue in the nyc area

toma
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
well during Ike, downtown houston had a lot of blown out windows in the high rises due to the suction force and mini tornados created by the layout of the streets and buildings by creating little corridors where winds would cross and make tornado like conditions in intersections. but my main point is everyone be safe.

Hitman
08-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Pfft....I was driving around all night and the Center of the Eye is about maybe 50 miles from NYC right now? This is the most fail storm I have ever seen.....

brett friggin favre
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Pfft....I was driving around all night and the Center of the Eye is about maybe 50 miles from NYC right now? This is the most fail storm I have ever seen.....

i told you it wasnt gonna be that bad around there haha...it breaks up around land

pwnage
08-28-2011, 12:03 PM
i told you it wasnt gonna be that bad around there haha...it breaks up around land
anyone else see this happen?
http://twitpic.com/6c48sx

acolyte_to_jippity
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM
lol. no. i don't watch tv. but there was a group of kids out on the soccer field next to my dorm who set up a few slip and slides across the entire field. hahahah

StarsMine
08-28-2011, 01:25 PM
My area was probably hit very hard. Occoquan probably flooded since the dam isnt designed for this kind of weather. Thank fully I live a few yards higher (I live on top of the hill bitch... so we get hit by the lightning instead D: Though this all is happening while I am in SD. So... I really have no idea what is going on at home. Lots of power outages in my area.

Andrew_Pavlik
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
My area flooded pretty good but we always flood this good once a year so it was nothing that we couldn't handle.

pwnage
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
My area flooded pretty good but we always flood this good once a year so it was nothing that we couldn't handle.
I can't even get out of my town still...my whole town is flooded VT got fuckin pwned for flooding

StarsMine
08-29-2011, 07:19 PM
anyone else see this happen?
http://twitpic.com/6c48sx

XD they would.

turns out my area wasnt hit all that hard, but they had already canceld classes there so that was pointless :lmao: Wish I could have been there myself. Now I just have to worry about blizzards. Basterds up here actually know how to deal with snow :banghead: So a 2-3 feet blizzard isn't enough to stop classes at all :/

pwnage
08-29-2011, 09:50 PM
yeah it's nice to know that vt has been more or less completely washed away...

StarsMine
08-29-2011, 10:14 PM
freaking turkeys. Jacks is where its at.
Still find it a bit odd that SDSU is division 1