PDA

View Full Version : Epic computer crash!!!Need help asap

FlawLessGamer
09-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey i recently downloaded a registry repair and like most free programs on the internet it fucked up my os. My laptop wount even boot.("is says please insert windows disk and click repair"). and like with most new computers my os came pre installed so i dont have the disk. does anyone know were i can get a boot disk or a windows repair disk. im afriad my only alternative is to shell out 250 to those homos at best buy to fix something i can do. my OS is windows vista home. thank you.:headache:

weeman2412
09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
i can help you... mind telling me which state you live in.. if you live in virginia i can mail you a windows xp os disc.. if you don't live in virginia i believe i can help you... but it'll require a large amount of your time.. and its not very legal here in the Us of A

//edit//

scratch that both options for me to help you is illegal D: .... the other option is i give you the link to download an xp operating system.. which is also illegal D:

FlawLessGamer
09-22-2008, 08:47 PM
ah i just moved out of va to california. my OS in windows vista home i dont think the xp disk will repair it

weeman2412
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
oooo ... umm... i dont know what to say man... one other option is do a full system restore to windows xp.. or vista... but vista takes forever to download D: (btw im hoping you saved all your drivers so if you were to restore your system will be in perfect working order within 2 hours of the restore) if you didn't saved the drivers not much a lost.. theres a proggy to locate all drivers

FlawLessGamer
09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
cock balls. well thx anyways ill just accept it and take it to best buy

iceofworm
09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
well that sucks, first if u have money pull the drive, buy a case for it - like a usb external case for it
hook it up to your computer so u can back up your files 1st and formost

a lil usb case is around 20 local in nyc
on new egg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=3.5++external+enclosure&x=0&y=0

thats so u can back ur files up... if that matters to you

if not. find a friend local who has a vista install and repair..
i duggest doin what i said pull the drive back it up and then reinstall fresh.

deaf
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
did u backup the registry files before u used it? i remember most registry editing programs backup before

vicious
09-22-2008, 09:20 PM
I recommend using a live disk of linux (try ubuntu) and try to recover any files just in case they have to reinstall vista.

FlawLessGamer
09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
i did back up the registry but im even unable to boot the os in safe mode. as for backing up the files i already have a usb hard drive case so ill use that if it comes to it. i dont think is lose any files consitering ill try to repair the os and not reinstall it. well im gonna dial som numbers to see if i can find a windows vista disk.

ZERO
09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
You can just take the drive and connect it to another computer and then access all the files an external drive is not needed, I have done this before.

dutch
09-22-2008, 11:47 PM
First try a system restore. Boot your computer up and when you see the BIOS splash or whatever comes up first on your PC spam the fuck out of F8. Select boot from safe mode and read everything and proceed to the system restore utility. If you are unable to boot into safemode, simply go to a local computer repair store, or call around. Most of them are friendly enough to let you have a vista or XP install disk.

Also your laptop might have whats called a recovery partition. If that is the case you do not need a disk to reinstall your OS. Although I've never had much luck with the restore partitions it is worth a shot and its free.

As for backing up your data, hope your hard drive is SATA and find someone with a newer computer, if it is IDE you will need an adapter for an 2.5" hdd that has a molex power adapter as well as the 40 Pin adapter for the data cable, these cost about $15. Get a spare SATA data cable and hook your shit up to his/her computer and back up all your stuff. SATA drives are hotswapable so you really do not even have to turn your friend's PC off before you connect it. Your data should show up just like a regular hdd or external. Its a piece of cake.

Also downloading a disk or borrowing one from someone is completely legal so far as you use the license on the bottom of your laptop. ALL OEM DISKS ARE GENERIC AND CAN BE REUSED BY ANYBODY. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF BORROWING SOMEONES DISK. Also, all OEM version disks that have vista usually contain every version of vista and the features relative to your version will be activated by your specific product key. AGAIN DO NOT BE AFRAID OF USING A FRIENDS DISK AS LONG AS IT IS AN OEM COPY. DO NOT TRY TO USE A RESTORE DISK FOR A DIFFERENT TYPE OF COMPUTER, YOUR SHIT WILL NOT WORK.

Most importantly DO NOT TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO BEST BUY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

FlawLessGamer
09-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Tnx dutch for the last reply i thought about it and im not going to take my computer to best buy ill just keep looking around for a disk. as for the operating system, i do have the key so any other install disk would work but if do fix the reg how would i prevent my computer from doing this again and by the way i went to best buy to check what it would cost to get my files and media back and to restore my computer and so far they tellyed up over 700 dollars in reparis which is bull shit but ill keep trying to fix this problem but intell then theres no css for me which makes me sad....:headache:

ZERO
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Do not adjust the registry for any reason! That will fix it. If you need to do basic registry work use spybot search and destroy it is safe.

D1lD0
10-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Tnx dutch for the last reply i thought about it and im not going to take my computer to best buy ill just keep looking around for a disk. as for the operating system, i do have the key so any other install disk would work but if do fix the reg how would i prevent my computer from doing this again and by the way i went to best buy to check what it would cost to get my files and media back and to restore my computer and so far they tellyed up over 700 dollars in reparis which is bull shit but ill keep trying to fix this problem but intell then theres no css for me which makes me sad....:headache:

If i were you in that situation at Best Buy I woulda laughed so hard in their face until i ran out of breath. Then I would take a breath, and laugh just as hard all over again. So basically they were gonna charge you more than the cost of damn near a complete uber upgrade just to pop in a vista disk and let it do its magic. Again I laugh, breath, and laugh again.

Hope all's well with your cpu btw.