PDA

View Full Version : Just a idea how to change the server.

Rosie
12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I have been thinking about a way to increase the need for new players to want to come back, and I thought of this. What if we instituted a graduated Zombie system. What I mean is everyone starts with zombies that are on a equal playing field. But maybe there is a 10 step upgrade system for all of our special Zombie classes. For example you start with our Zombies as they stand now as a level 7. For new players, they would start with slower/more visable/less HP, depending on the class. By the time they make it to level 7 they are playing as we have the Zombies now. If they stick around long enough to make it to level 10, they have a maxed out Zombie class. My thougts were 0-100 is class one. That would continue until you make it to 1000 Zombie kills with a class. Since I have 11,000 Zombie kills, I by theory could have maxed all the races, but mine are split between Fast, and Predator, classes. So if I switched to say a Poison zombie, I would be in the same boat as a newb with the class.

This was just a thought so do not start talking a bunch of stupid shit on this thread. If you have a constuctive criticism/inprovement then fire away.

The only trouble I see is that the regulars now will bitch about a fair way to make up for there hours on the server. My only thought to that would be a even split of your kills amongst the 6 classes. Not the most fair for some, but its the best I could think of.

B1ackOut
12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
i guess it could work. I think its a little complicated for a zombie mod. I dont really want to have to level up my zombies, just to be able to do everything that is useful about said class would normally get.

Chikun
12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Maybe not having maps with secret teleporters that a small few know of. It's one thing to just know the good cade areas, but finding the "super uber secret spot" and laughing at the peons below is just annoying.

acolyte_to_jippity
12-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Maybe not having maps with secret teleporters that a small few know of. It's one thing to just know the good cade areas, but finding the "super uber secret spot" and laughing at the peons below is just annoying.

actually, that's called "knowing the map"

learn the maps, and this won't be a problem

Chikun
12-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Having to learn a map before being able to enjoy it isn't a good incentive to return.

acolyte_to_jippity
12-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Having to learn a map before being able to enjoy it isn't a good incentive to return.

people who are too lazy to learn a map aren't really the kind of folks we'd want as regulars, eh?

they're the ones who prefer escapes because they don't have to actually think or do any sort of work, just run as fast as they can.

Chikun
12-30-2011, 12:46 AM
I think you're missing the point I'm making in that maintaining a cade from zombies is more fun than hiding in a secret teleport room.

Do you have anything constructive to add?

Also Rosie, maybe adding more classes and maybe having human classes?

acolyte_to_jippity
12-30-2011, 01:06 AM
I think you're missing the point I'm making in that maintaining a cade from zombies is more fun than hiding in a secret teleport room.

Do you have anything constructive to add?

Also Rosie, maybe adding more classes and maybe having human classes?

then, people can build cades...

if the spots aren't fun, rank whores are the only ones that will use them. in such cases, zombies will begin to avoid them, and thus the people in those spots won't have as much fun. thus, they'll either change spots, or complain until an admin mutes them.

Bane of Soldiers
12-30-2011, 01:09 AM
I love the map secrets! When the barricade spots are filled up, hiding is so much more practical, as well as amusing, than cading up. And it's kinda an unspoken sport in zombie mod to have the most epic/dumbest hiding spot and win anyway. Zombie mod would be too plain without the secrets. And there's plenty of ways to find out secrets besides playing the map a lot (although that takes the fun out of playing the map). Youtube is the most blunt approach, but people in zombie mod are pretty loose-lipped about their secrets if you're friendly enough or become a respected regular. Heck, some people flat give them out whenever they're in server lol

On topic, it sounds interesting, but kinda difficult to implement. Hope the new coding won't crash the server, this past year has been a nice era of maps that don't crash the server. Also, I think speed, knockback, and jump would be significantly sensitive to tamper with. And would class upgrades be a general increase in skills, or would it be allocated manually? I hope it's a given that at max, these zombies would be like they are now.....I don't think anyone will enjoy super powered zombies running around; I know you should be rewarded for the time you spend to get 1000 zombie kills, but when 1-3 zombies dominate the humans in a server that can house over 40 players, I think something's wrong. But that poses a problem for when (if) this plan is implemented, zombies that are weaker than they are now will get blasted away by humans, and make some rage a little harder.

My own suggestion here, since I enjoy the lighter armored zombies lol, can we throw in health regeneration into this suggestion? At a faster rate, or perhaps +5 or +10 health more for "x" amount of seconds.....probably won't, but who knows, it might make the difference for the fast zombie.

I don't care about bonuses for the kills already on record. Although I'm a regular, I don't care much for being compensated for my 700+ hours. I'm there to play, not level and whore my classes like some freak (don't hold me to my word if this suggestion makes it, as I am big on RPG aspects like upgrading lol). My personal opinion at the moment, tough luck and just play. From a conservative standpoint, the server is doing a bit more than decently, and why change it and all. But again, it sounds interesting, and sounds like it can only help server traffic rather than hurt. Although annoying, I kinda miss those days when the server was so popular, people would keep trying to connect to a overflowing server. Slot reservation rarely kicks anyone nowadays :lmao:

Rosie
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
My original thought was that a level 7 or 8 would be where they ar enow, and level 9 and 10 would be very insignifigant changes. 1-200 Hp for a fast of something anlong those lines. Nothing that would increase the classes specific advantage, but may slightly decreaseits disadvantage. I.E. so that 2 shotgun blast kills a fast on a escape map.

Srry72
12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I suck at rpg servers. But I'l try it if it happens. Doesn't sound like it would affect the game too much

acolyte_to_jippity
12-30-2011, 11:37 PM

single worst idea i can think of.

sorry, but no.

Meltdown
12-31-2011, 06:49 AM
No not going to work, there too many casual players most of the people will be just having weak bad zombies which will be easy targets for rank whores, If people don't want to play zombie for what reason at all there not playing on the right server. I used to play on servers pretty much hardcore we played on vent or ts in groups because zombies had 30000 hp and always returned if they would die which mean it was basic survival all the way and if your teamwork sucks ur done for. These days all people just want to get as much points as they can and there no teamwork left, the zombie was all about it.

Planting another kind of "look at me I'm the highest zombies you noobs" is just not Howe you want the server to be. Those who already are good in this mod don't need this kind of silly stuff.

Bane of Soldiers
12-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Those who already are good in this mod don't need this kind of silly stuff. It's been stated that the idea intends to draw in the new players. Marketing to just the regs is silly if you can net em all

Rosie
12-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Aco, could you explain why you think this idea is the worst. I am not talking about huge changes in the classes, I am talking about % points here and there. 50HP here or there. Not completely breaking the Zombie classes.

Meltdown as much as I love hearing about other groups you played with, with all due respect I really do not care how they were. The "casual players" that you refer to, would be the target audience. This was just a rough ruberic of an idea. You could drop the level 1-2 to 25 kills. Then if a newb joins and plays a map or 2 they would see that they are getting better, and therefore be incouraged to try some more. As it stands now, if a newb joins and finds soemone in cade they get raped, repeat next round, repeat a third time and leave. The key to building confidence in someone is giving them the knowledge that they have a chance to be better.

Understand that I have no issues continuing to rape people. i just thought that this would not be ahuge change, and would add diversity to the game. I have been in the server when Zero was tweaking the deformed class knockback by very small incriments, and that gave me part of this idea. I know Global Offensive is in Beta as we speak, and it will pull alot of the random traffic from all CSS servers. I was hoping that we could get some new blood b4 that happened. This community can stay alive with the people we have now, but life happens, and people leave. Without repopulating the servers, it will only be us after awhile though.

acolyte_to_jippity
12-31-2011, 04:32 PM
because it's pointless. it will encourage nothing more than more rank-whoring, this time because there is a point.

it won't encourage new players to stay, because they'll be weaker when they begin, thus they'll get killed easier. thus they'll ragequit.

the people who stay to level up will be the same people who would stay and get better at cading normally.

in short it does absolutely nothing for the server, and only inserts an additional layer of mods that could break and destabilize shit.

Rosie
12-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Ok I can accept that.

Meltdown
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
It's been stated that the idea intends to draw in the new players. Marketing to just the regs is silly if you can net em all

You don't draw in new players who get discouraged the second the join because the gap between the regulars is huge and they get owned every second en get called noob or get cursed at. Levelling the field would be much better, people need to have good first experience that is what it is all about. If you look at a commercial for the first time that moment decide (whether you realize it or not) if you like the product or not. People don't go wait to see if a server is nice or not it is stupid to think that.

Ranking and all is nice for the hardcore players but it is nothing more for select group of people the majority don't give a **** they come to have some fun and good zombie mods is rare these days so I suggest we don't ruin the one we have right now.

Steamer
01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
We have thrown up this zombie / human class and leveling idea years ago and deeply discussed it in marketing / gameplay / time / server consumption / cost effectiveness / advantages and disadvantages and it was ultimately a bad idea at the time. Then we got a WCS server. :wtg:

Me and Rezel also created a WCS Zmod server... Very fun for short play times, very annoying at the same time. Maintaining such a thing is stupidly time consuming.