PDA

View Full Version : 2012

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-25-2008, 07:30 PM
This discussion is all over the net, including Youtube, to be its complete bullshit.
The only people i really hear talking about this is the religious people.
A good friend of mine is Christan, and i guess him being a Christan, the Bible states that on 2012 dec 21st, god will take all jews and Christan's and take them to heaven, then let Satan roam earth and kill off the rest of the people.
Something like that.

Then just recently he changed his story to, he thinks nothing will happen on 2012 dec 21st.. and the death date wont come till 2020.

Heres what i will say... we can die any day, any time.

There really is no certain date we can die, if you think about it, it can happen at any time.

There is a lot of talk about this particle reactor out in france, its this HUGE machine that when turned on it creates something similar to what happend moments after the big bang. They made this to try and find dark madder or some shit.
Basicly it creates a mini black hole, and when turned off the black hole goes away (atleast we think)
Scary part is.. they have created this black hole.. with only 1/4 of the power.

They plan on starting up the machine sometime soon (can't remember when) with full power. Many people are scared this will create a bigger black hole or something and kill us.
To me.. this is unlikely. If they are able to quickly turn the machine off seconds after and be able to make the black hole go away.. then nothing should go wrong.

What do you guys think about all this.

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-25-2008, 08:13 PM
That religious stuff is bull shit, your right.

Your just now hearing about the Large Hadron Collider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)?

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Lol no i heard about it a couple of months ago, just decided to talk about it now ha =P

It would suck if it does create a black hole and it kills us o_0

ZERO
09-25-2008, 09:04 PM
That is myan prophecy from a dead religion. It is simply the end of the myan calender. Anything other then that is total bs and individuals are just making it up especially anyone calming to be "Christian or Jewish". There is absotly nothing in the Bible about this nor the tora the only thing that comes close would be the koran but that is only after the ancient city of babylon is rebuilt. Which is now being started and will not be finished for 25-50 years also there is still a bunch of crap that needs to happon after that which would take another 30 years even if Iran has it's way of trying to "speed up the comming of the admid" (however u spell it)

Fun fact:
"his mark will be 666"
Hitlers member number of the Nazi party was 555

Hodgie
09-25-2008, 09:56 PM
There's other stuff that goes into the 2012 hoopla too. Can't remember all of it but i think the earth completes a "wobble" on its axis and it also passes through the equator of the milkyway or something. I don't remember how often those things happen but its on the order of thousands of years.

It was on the discovery channel a few years ago... so I don't remember the exact time frames.

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Zero's right about the Mayan calender thing. I forgot about that till now.

iceofworm
09-25-2008, 10:23 PM
IT MARKS THE END OF THE CURRENT MAYAN CAL. the next one is called the dark one or something i cant rmemebr but its said that its the time when all life ends... but the cal for that peiod is around 3200 years long...

either way look at it liek this 1 day 1 year 1000 years... live like todayy is the last day and just enjoy life..

Hodgie
09-25-2008, 11:04 PM
either way look at it liek this 1 day 1 year 1000 years... live like todayy is the last day and just enjoy life..

Yea, and then I'd be in jail tomorrow.

epic miny retahd
09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Soy Sauce;8802']This discussion is all over the net, including Youtube, to be its complete bullshit.
The only people i really hear talking about this is the religious people.
A good friend of mine is Christan, and i guess him being a Christan, the Bible states that on 2012 dec 21st, god will take all jews and Christan's and take them to heaven, then let Satan roam earth and kill off the rest of the people.
Something like that.

Then just recently he changed his story to, he thinks nothing will happen on 2012 dec 21st.. and the death date wont come till 2020.

Heres what i will say... we can die any day, any time.

There really is no certain date we can die, if you think about it, it can happen at any time.

There is a lot of talk about this particle reactor out in france, its this HUGE machine that when turned on it creates something similar to what happend moments after the big bang. They made this to try and find dark madder or some shit.
Basicly it creates a mini black hole, and when turned off the black hole goes away (atleast we think)
Scary part is.. they have created this black hole.. with only 1/4 of the power.

They plan on starting up the machine sometime soon (can't remember when) with full power. Many people are scared this will create a bigger black hole or something and kill us.
To me.. this is unlikely. If they are able to quickly turn the machine off seconds after and be able to make the black hole go away.. then nothing should go wrong.

What do you guys think about all this.

ok your facts are wronge about hlc (not all but a good part of it)
ok yuea they have a black whole button (as a joke!) but what there going to do is spin a proton 1 way and i think a atom another and there going to crash realllllly fast and the more smarter scientest say it will creat energy and the less smart person that got a minor! in physics says it will make a black whole that will slowly suck the world up and by the end of 1212 the world would be gone(weird how he said that to that calender idea eh?)

btw its supose to happen some time this october

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Yeah this Oct.. thats what i thought.

LOL i did forget about the mayan calender thing.

Youtube is crazy though, so many retards over obsess with this issue.
Just type in like "End of World"
"Our Final Days?"
"The Last Days"
Or something and see what you get...

Theres anotherhot topic.. the planet "X" is susspose to come close to us REALLY CLOSE... so close that it nearly breaks through our Atemesphere and causes Earth to spin and rotate on its axis really fast and wobble.. causing major storms everyone.. and complete death...
Do you believe this?
So much BS out there.

deprodigy
09-26-2008, 07:40 AM
2012 is when the elohim will return to earth to enslave us and steal all our gold for their space ships and diminishing atmosphere on their home planet the real 13th planet.

ZERO
09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
The LHC will fire a proton and anti proton (yes anti proton = a proton from antimatter) at 99.999999999999...% speed of light and then attempt to detect what will occurred on impact.

wickedtribe
09-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I highly doubt the world will end 2012 lol alot of stuff going on that day but look at it like this, at the turn of the millinia how many people killed themselves because they thought it would be the day of the apocalypse or somthing like that i dont remember but like ALOT of people killed themselves thinking it would be the end of the world...... and i remember hearing tons of similar shit thats going on now about us all dieing........... not gonna happen and im not sure about the whole pysics thing but i thought black holes only formed when a sun extinguished and the sudden loss of that much energy and space creates a massive vaccum.

of course i could be wrong here but thats just what ive picked up.

Hodgie
09-26-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't remember the exact definition of a black hole, but i don't think physicists know everything about them. A very generalized description is that they are a relatively small thing with an immense gravitational field. The field is strong enough to pull light into it. I think that after some suns die out they like implode on themselves until they are a small particle with a very large gravitational field. But we don't know all the details since we still don't know everything about the cause of gravity.

... This is rehashed from past physics courses a few years ago, so there's a lot of cobwebs surrounding it but i think thats the basic jist.

Some people theorize that there is an extremely small black hole on earth. There is an area off the coast of Japan that is similar to the Bermuda Triangle and a line through the earth connecting them cuts right through the center of the earth. People think the weird shit surrounding the bermuda triangle is linked to a black hole

... Wow, I feel like a total nerd now...

deprodigy
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
not a black hole hodgie... a worm hole connects the bermuda triangle and the ring of fire in japan.
you can catch that in the special features of the stargate movie if I recall correctly.

Hodgie
09-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Oops, yea you're right... Not sure how I mixed that up. Thanks for the correction.

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Haha this black hole stuff scares me.

I always thought the Bermuda Triangle was just a bunch of gravity or something that causes the weird stuff to happen.

09-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't know how many times I have heard from various irrational thinkers that the world is going to end on some specific date. If they actually gave some good solid evidence or at least axioms, I'm not taking the information without a grain of salt. Even in this modern day we have countless acts of scapegoating, religious persecutions, creed wars, ideological wars, tyranny and lack of interest in generating empirical evidence. In my careful observation of general human conception of death, I have come to realize people will sometimes believe anything for comfort if the proper circumstances are there. It is far easy to pass judgment without going through the rigorous logical steps for rationality than it is to be a responsible intellectual.

ZERO
09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
A black hole is a place where a universal singularity has created a hole within the fabric of time space. This is often the result of a large star with a 4+solar mass collapsing. When a star is alive the energy created by the fusion of t's mass keeps most of the mass spread apart because of the pressure. When the gravitational strength of the stars core becomes greater than the pressure that is generated by its fusion reaction it collapses. When this occurs the mass inside of the star becomes very concentrated within one point. Once the concentration of mass at one point becomes too great it begins to trear though the fabric of time space and form a universal singularity. Once formed this hole will still move just as if was still within the universe and it will still have a gravitational pull around it however as you approach the universal singularity the gravity will increase exponentially thus also slowing down time exponentially. Also the hole exists only where the universal singularity is and it does not create tears ect in the fabric of the universe. Light ect that is far enough away not to get sucked in will logically be bent in its direction just as if it had passed buy a star or any other object. Objects can safely orbit black holes. Also the more mass a black hole contains the smaller the actual hole is, ie bigger black hole with regard to mass will have a smaller sized universal singularity.

Paper
09-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Article on Pop-sci about the LHC
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-06/large-hadron-collider-probably-wont-destroy-earth

There was an article in this months issue that was interesting, don't know where it can be found online, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find this month's issue in a store.

Predicting the apocalypse is pretty pointless in my opinion (depending upon your religious views I guess).

09-28-2008, 10:19 AM
A black hole is a place where a universal singularity has created a hole within the fabric of time space. This is often the result of a large star with a 4+solar mass collapsing. When a star is alive the energy created by the fusion of t's mass keeps most of the mass spread apart because of the pressure. When the gravitational strength of the stars core becomes greater than the pressure that is generated by its fusion reaction it collapses. When this occurs the mass inside of the star becomes very concentrated within one point. Once the concentration of mass at one point becomes too great it begins to trear though the fabric of time space and form a universal singularity. Once formed this hole will still move just as if was still within the universe and it will still have a gravitational pull around it however as you approach the universal singularity the gravity will increase exponentially thus also slowing down time exponentially. Also the hole exists only where the universal singularity is and it does not create tears ect in the fabric of the universe. Light ect that is far enough away not to get sucked in will logically be bent in its direction just as if it had passed buy a star or any other object. Objects can safely orbit black holes. Also the more mass a black hole contains the smaller the actual hole is, ie bigger black hole with regard to mass will have a smaller sized universal singularity.

Thanks for the interestig reading, please keep more of the quality forum writing going. I also enjoyed the popsci article link article, though it was short and left me hungry for more information.

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I always thought it would be cool (not really this would suck) but if zombies came... and left the world in a state of only a people are left.. or.. small towns of people stand guarding from zombies or something.

wickedtribe
09-28-2008, 03:10 PM
kk ty zero for clearing that up, i always wondered wtf a black hole realy was, although, where exactly do the items that go into a black hole go?

or do they just become super compacted and massivly dense?

D-Monic
09-28-2008, 03:54 PM
PLANET-DISSOLVING DUST CLOUD IS HEADED TOWARD EARTH!
Monday September 12, 2005

By MIKE FOSTER

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Scared-stiff astronomers have detected a mysterious mass they've dubbed a "chaos cloud" that dissolves everything in its path, including comets, asteroids, planets and entire stars -- and it's headed directly toward Earth!

Discovered April 6 by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, the swirling, 10 million-mile- wide cosmic dust cloud has been likened to an "acid nebula" and is hurtling toward us at close to the speed of light -- making its estimated time of arrival 9:15 a.m. EDT on June 1, 2014.

"The good news is that this finding confirms several cutting- edge ideas in theoretical physics," announced Dr. Albert Sherwinski, a Cambridge based astrophysicist with close ties to NASA.

"The bad news is that the total annihilation of our solar system is imminent."

Experts believe the chaos cloud is composed of particles spawned near the event horizon of a black hole (a form of what's called Hawking Radiation) that have been distorted by mangled information spewed from the hole.

"A super-massive black hole lies about 28,000 light-years from Earth at the center of our galaxy," explained Dr. Sherwinski.

"Last year the eminent physicist Stephen Hawking revised his theory of black holes -- which previously held that nothing could escape the hole's powerful gravitational field. He demonstrated that information about objects that have been sucked in can be emitted in mangled form.

"It now appears that mangled information can distort matter.

"Just imagine our galaxy the Milky Way as a beautiful, handwritten letter.

"Now imagine pouring a glass of water on the paper and watching the words dissolve as the stain spreads. That's what the chaos cloud does to every star or planet it encounters."

To avoid widespread panic, NASA has declined to make the alarming discovery public. But Dr. Sherwinski's contacts at the agency's Chandra X-ray Observatory leaked to him striking images of the newly discovered chaos cloud obliterating a large asteroid.

"It's like watching a helpless hog being dissolved in a vat of acid," one NASA scientist told Dr. Sherwinski.

Ordinarily, Hawkings Radiation is harmless.

"It's produced when an electron- positron pair are at the event horizon of a black hole," Dr. Sherwinski explained. "The intense curvature of space-time of the hole can cause the positron to fall in, while the electron escapes."

But when "infected" by mangled information from the black hole, the particles become a chaos cloud, which in turn mangles everything it touches.

"If it continues unchecked, the chaos cloud will eventually reduce our galaxy to the state of absolute chaos that existed before the birth of the universe," the astrophysicist warned.

Some scientists say mankind's best hope would be to build a "space ark" and hightail it to the Andromeda Galaxy, 2.1 million light-years away.

"We wouldn't be able to save the entire human population, but perhaps the best and the brightest," observed British rocket scientist Dr. David Hall, when asked about the feasibility of such a project.

But even if such a craft could be built in time, evacuating Earth might prove fruitless if theories about the origin of the chaos cloud are correct.

"A black hole at the center of Andromeda is about 15 times the size of the one in our own galaxy," Dr. Sherwinski noted. "It might be like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire."

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, a senior White House official said the president's top science advisors are taking the findings in stride.

"This is a lot like global warming, where the jury is still out on whether it's real or not," said the official.

"The existence of this so called chaos cloud is only a theory. Americans shouldn't panic until all the facts are in."
:muffy:

although i believe this was later determined to be a hoax. sounded good to go with the discussion:icon_mrgreen:

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-29-2008, 05:41 AM
D-monic... i hate you.
I'm going to have nightmares now.
I really hate this "end of life" stuff.
It gets me thinking alot... and how i just want to live life, but all the death stuff... relates around 2012-2018. 2012 is when i graduate highschool... -.-

D1lD0
09-29-2008, 06:19 AM
The only "end of the earth" scenario I'm willing to consider is the possibility that there's a supermassive black hole in the center of the milky way which will eventually suck the earth in and destroy it. But we're talking way beyond our lifetime or any of our childrens lifetime or their children's lives x(insert number here).

deprodigy
09-29-2008, 08:57 AM
you are all fools if you don't believe in the elohim!

-=NYS=- C.O.
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
The last days of earth will be the caused by a species called humans.

Hodgie
09-29-2008, 01:39 PM
The last days of earth will be the caused by a species called humans.

Assholes...

ZERO
09-29-2008, 11:09 PM
We will not get sucked in as we are orbiting it. Also in theory anything that enters a black hole is no longer considered to be within the universe. I believe that this logic is based on the stander model which is broken anyways so it does not really matter.

ZERO
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/teachers/activities/images/3012_elegant_fonffpart.gif

ZERO
09-29-2008, 11:13 PM
How the sun works:
http://www.upei.ca/%7Ephysics/p261/projects/fusion1/2_P-PChain.Gif

ZERO
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
e+ and e- are when an anti electron combines with an electron. Also:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/56197main_dark_schematic-lg.jpg

ZERO
09-29-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.lsst.org/Science/images/CompositionCosmos_550.jpg

http://www.lsst.org/Science/images/DarkMatter2.jpg
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200611/Dark_energy_014E2D00-DB18-797D-5848155AEC3BC1D6.bmp

http://www.lsst.org/Science/images/xxnyt.jpg

http://www.isracast.com/images/tech_images/061005_Dark-Matter.jpg

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dark_matter_2.jpgAccording to supersymmetry, dark-matter particles known as neutralinos (which are often called WIMPs) annihilate each other, creating a cascade of particles and radiation that includes medium-energy gamma rays. If neutralinos exist, the LAT might see the gamma rays associated with their demise

[IBIS Noob]Soy Sauce
09-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Wait so Zero.. your saying if the black hole or chaos hole does come... we wont die.. it will just pass on through and we are all fine?!?!?!?
I hope so.

Steamer
09-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Thats not what he said at all...

Basically as long as something maintains a stable orbit around a black hole's gravitational feild it can not be drawn into the universal singularity.

As for how they move with relationship to singularity I have no clue, never studyed to far into it.

Doe's the singularity stay stationary or can it move?
How far can a black hole travel in relations to the singularity?

D1lD0
09-30-2008, 07:25 AM
We will not get sucked in as we are orbiting it. Also in theory anything that enters a black hole is no longer considered to be within the universe. I believe that this logic is based on the stander model which is broken anyways so it does not really matter.

Well yeah, I understand that the gravitational pull of a black hole essentially works the same as a planet / solar mass but if anything does get too close it will be sucked in as is obvious with all the research thus far. But say something happens to affect our orbit (like maybe the possible collision course our galaxy is on with the Andromeda galaxy, if the planet as we know it even survives the process) it could send the planet into a no-trespassing zone around the black hole granted another large mass doesnt pull us in before we reach the center of the galaxy. Now I know we're talking billions of years from now but yeah like I said in my last post it wouldnt happen (if ever) in any of our lifetimes. The human race will most likely kill itself off in less than 1/10000th of that time anyways.

Like I said its a loooooooooong-shot but that's exactly the point I was trying to make. We're like self-sustaining sperm trying to find the universal uterus before we burn out our energy reserves.

-=NYS=- C.O.
09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
All this scientific talk is giving me a headache.

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I just scroll through it all. If i wanted to learn this stuff i wouldn't trust random people on the internet. I like having reliable sources. Also i could ask my physicist grandfather about it all.

deprodigy
09-30-2008, 10:51 AM
believe me mpg... the aliens will come and you better have gold to give them.

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Ill just offer anal sex and we will be tight. :)

Paper
09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I was watching this thing on the Discovery channel about the different phases of the galaxy and how way off in the future when all the suns have burned out except the red dwarfs the galaxy will be pretty desolate and the only life will be orbiting really close to the suns. I don't know if it was all true or not but it sounded like the plot to a sci-fi game or something (Reminded me particularly of freelancer/starlancer).

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-30-2008, 11:38 AM
My mom was watching that.

ZERO
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM
black holes move as do the singularities within them I said that in my initial post. Nothing stops two black holes from orbiting each other much like two stars do. I was pointing out that the majority of the universe is made up of stuff that we do not even fully understand.

Steamer
09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Thats something I dont get, If they move then why is there no path of destruction. Its like the space that they went over is somehow repaired yet the things pulled in are done. Wont find out all the information in my liftime.

ManBearPig <ibis>
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
All you need to know is that Chuck Norris created all.

http://www.popfi.com/wp-content/uploads/8de6c_chuck-norris-evolution.jpg

ZERO
09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
because the point where there is a whole is just that a point. If it moves the fabric of time space moves around it.

Think of it this way:

Making you own black hole :assault:
Fun for parents and kids!

What you need:
1) a bucket or shallow bowel
2) a liquid such as water
3) an old film tube -those black things people put film in when not in a camera, you know those things that people put change in that are black with the gray caps *or anything simular shaped.

What to do: move tube around in water notice how the water and the space in the tube are two separate things the water can splash in the tube sometimes but for the most part the water stays around the tube even when it moves around in the water.

The fabric of space time works the same way, a better example would be to take a small ball and move it around or even a drop of oil. Oh think of a lava lamp. The stuff moves around the lamp but it does not leave a black space in it's path. The fabric of time space is on 3 axis x y and z not just x and y.

D1lD0
09-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I seen a pretty good representation of how a black hole looks in reference to a omniscient galactic view (I assume this is theoretical of course) But they basically drew a grid representation of the universe layed out horizontally with the stars and planets on it and whatnot. And the black holes themselves appear literally as dips in the grid somewhat similar to if you were to hold a piece of paper up horizontally using strings and tape, then placed your finger directly in the middle and pushed down. The same way the paper would curve down and create a spherical slope in all directions (kinda like the same effect watching water swirl down a drain looks) is how black holes work in this dimension. Now I'm guessng the grid itself was supposed to represent the dimension we live in. But its cool to think what might be inside the the epicenter of a black and to think that just like almost everything in this world if stretched long enough it would rip. What might happen if the dip in this dimension finally ripped. Maybe it would pull everything into it kinda like when there's a big enough hole in an airplane and it sucks everything out into the lower pressure outside the plane?

Who knows. I'm just high and blabbing right now.

ZERO
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
That grid is a representation of space time fabric. The further down it goes the slower time moves and the greater the gravity. Planets and other objects can circle these dips (all objects create them even a speck of dust, it is just some are bigger than others like planets and stars) we call this circling orbits. On that scale they dip down far because the actual distance is infinite as there is a tiny hole at the bottom. Remember that this is expressed in a 2D environment while the actual effect is in a 3d environment.

What this also shows is that the more closely located to a central mass the slower time is. Thus in theory if two people are on sea level the one with the most mass closest to him will move though time the slowest.

Steamer
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Got it now.

ZERO
10-01-2008, 09:04 AM
How black holes form!

What you need:
1) peace of paper
2) 1lb of like change
3) 1lb needle -not sure if anyone actually makes this

Put coins on pice of paper and see how each one pushes the paper down a bit. See how if you stack them it pushes down more. Now take a pin that has the same weight and it will go right through. Even though you had the same amount of mass or in this case weight on the paper once you concentrated it in a very small point there was too much and it just fell though. :smirk:

deprodigy
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
question is, does it ever stop falling?

ZERO
10-03-2008, 11:29 PM
No and yes. It does not stop because the place that it does stop is outside of time itself.