PDA

View Full Version : catching walls and you: it's harder than you think

brett friggin favre
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
so last night i played a little gungame, it was late, probably shouldn't have been on, but oh well. won 3 rounds in a row, so i decided to pull my demos and see if it looked i was walling in a few places. obviously, i wasn't, i never have, and i've never tried to. what i saw was a few spots where it seemed like i was using good anticipation and radar, but then i saw tick 21k in the first demo i watched and if it was someone else i'd swear it was the most obvious walltrace ever. if you watch the whole demo, you can see there are times where if i had walls, i would've done something different than i did, but that can be explained by toggling as well. so what i'd like to have this thread be is a place where the more experienced members of the community and admins can post what they look for when they think someone's walling, and ways to avoid false bans because of it. feel free to use the demo i was talking about as an example if you want.

maynard
02-14-2012, 11:54 PM
always keep in mind there aren't only 2 options... it's not someone either hacks or doesn't, there's always the third option which is inconclusive.

Steamer
02-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Direct tracing... Random nades... Pre aim and prefire when there is NO sound or radar, ect , ect...

An experience wallhacker will most always slip by until they slip up.

XX0wnsXY
02-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Wall hacking is, indeed, difficult to spot. The main thing that I look for is a consistent pattern. I would never vote that someone is hacking on only a few instances in a long demo. I would, however, take more demos and look at them and see if there are any more instances. I would definitely expect a wallhacker to consistently round corners and anticipate the enemy. There may be some tracing, but for me, that's not a reliable source unless it's constant, because an experienced wallhacker would never trace..or atleast purposely..because they know it's a dead giveaway.

I would look at any fishy instances and try to pull the ghost hunters theory. I would try to debunk it before I jump to conclusions. If there is no logical (radar, sound, previous firefight that could have been heard, etc..) reason that the person in question got the kill..then it could be conclusive.

The great thing about SourceTV is that, if you expect someone..you don't have to view them directly. You can always pull a demo from when they think nooone is watching..and they're more likely to slip up!

Sin
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Most "wallhacks" that kids pick up are utilizing view angle exploits that can be easily thwarted with zblock. As well as many other cheats that coders come out with.

All zero has to do is add that plugin and most people who are cheating "sneakily" won't even be able to enter into the server. :o

One more simple plugin can't hurt! lol

DJ_MikeyRevile
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Some wallets are very obvious which helps a lot but in the case of experienced walling ninjas there are a few things I look for. Prefire is somthing I never take into consideration unless it is completely blatant. Most skilled players prefire around corners and nooks they know an enemy player is most likely going to be. This also makes it tough to use excuses like, you couldn't hear me I was walking Ect. I use my gut and human intuition a lot when playing. So this leaves a few in depth things to look for as far as walling goes. If a player seems to be consistently in the midst of the fire due to changing from his original route, you could safely assume he is using walls to follow enemy movement. If the player follows an enemy threw a wall one time... Don't worry. If he is following players threw walls consistently, he is probualy walling. I like to believe that a Waller actually trying to hide the fact that he is walling won't directly trace a player but rather use field of view techniques to work around the map.

Wallets are tough but if you think like one when reviewing demos it becomes more clear.

brett friggin favre
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Some wallets are very obvious which helps a lot but in the case of experienced walling ninjas there are a few things I look for. Prefire is somthing I never take into consideration unless it is completely blatant. Most skilled players prefire around corners and nooks they know an enemy player is most likely going to be. This also makes it tough to use excuses like, you couldn't hear me I was walking Ect. I use my gut and human intuition a lot when playing. So this leaves a few in depth things to look for as far as walling goes. If a player seems to be consistently in the midst of the fire due to changing from his original route, you could safely assume he is using walls to follow enemy movement. If the player follows an enemy threw a wall one time... Don't worry. If he is following players threw walls consistently, he is probualy walling. I like to believe that a Waller actually trying to hide the fact that he is walling won't directly trace a player but rather use field of view techniques to work around the map.

Wallets are tough but if you think like one when reviewing demos it becomes more clear.

mikey stop posting replies on your phone. i don't care about wallets :smirk:

maynard
02-15-2012, 05:48 PM
......^:smirk:

DJ_MikeyRevile
02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Stupid auto correct, I ducking hate it!

maynard
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I ducking hate it!

.... you should try reading your posts before posting them... or even after....

DJ_MikeyRevile
02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
The ducking auto correct was intentional lol. I do but my phone screen looks like a spider web.

moshtradamus
10-16-2012, 09:21 PM
If its possible, could an admin use no clip and fly around inside the walls and see if the hacker checks them out?

Steamer
10-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Not anymore.